Misheard Green Day Lyrics

LaughingClock

I usually only understand about half of the lyrics before I look them up somewhere, and I mishear lots of them. :P I blame the fact that English is not my first language. Here are some that I remember:

American Idiot: "Welcome to our new kind attention" instead of "Welcome to a new kind of tension" and "For that's enough to fuck you" instead of "For that's enough to argue"

21 guns: "Like a lighter looking for forgiveness from the soul" instead of "Like a liar looking for forgiveness from forgiveness from a stone" and "Your faith wants a looking-glass" instead of "Your faith walks on broken glass"

Jesus of Suburbia: "The center of the Earth is the underworld" instead of "The center of the Earth is the end of the world"

Letterbomb: "You're fucking only along for the ride" instead of "Like a flunkie only along for the ride"

Letterbomb: "They tell me you failed the crash test"

I had that one too.

I always thought it said the television is an extortionist.

Me too. :)

When I first heard Horseshoes and Handgrenades, I thought Billie said "I'm not fucking round", which made me lol because I thought of a fat Billie yelling about his weight.

I'm always going to see a little, chubby Billie shouting and shaking his fist when I listen to that now... :)

I just finally got to understand all of In the End on Dookie. :lol:

And Letterbomb: "the town bishop is an extortionist" i thought it was "the television is such a mess"

Wow... I always thought it said "the televisions an extortionist"

I'll be damned.

I always thought it said the television is an extortionist.

I always thought he said that to!!

Also in Give Me Novicaine, when Billie Joe says, " oh novacaine ahh" right before the guitar solo, I always thought Billie Joe said something like "ill never get outt"

In 'Horseshoes and Handgrenades' when Billie says: "Demolition. Self-destruction. What to annihilate, this age-old contradiction." I always thought he said: "Television. Self-destruction. Want to annihilate the same old contradiction." :lol:

I FOUND MY CHICKEN SPOT! :woot:

to recap: On F.O.D., I keep hearing "where's my chicken spot", and I checked the lyrics and, without the music, it didn't make sense that I hear that. Today I realise that "where's my chicken spot" is actually "Stuck down in a rut of dislogic and smut" :lol: omg, i'm really deaf, but english is not my first language, so... it's okay.

and it's not worst than ducks and all

I never mistook this one, but someone else on this forum mentioned a long time ago they thought "Welcome to Paradise" said "Pay attention to the cracked streets and the broken gnomes". It's always made me giggle when I listen to WTP.

PDP0945097_P.JPG

WHA??? I didn't know that's what it said. I've always sang "The television set extortionist", as in an infomercial or something. :huh:

I've moved this to the Green Day Chat forum. I think it makes sense to have it here since we're not talking specifically about an album or song.

i actualy had to look that up !!! i was really shocked :L

In Burnout i heard "I live inside this pencil cave throw my promotion away, hell who needs it anyways"

my friends' mom always thought that "rage and love" was "raging love". she does embroidery for a living, so one day she surprised my friend with a patch on her jacket that said "raging love". it was hilarious.

Wow... I always thought it said "the televisions an extortionist"

I'll be damned.

:mellow: me too, until this moment!

In 'Horseshoes and Handgrenades' when Billie says: "Demolition. Self-destruction. What to annihilate, this age-old contradiction." I always thought he said: "Television. Self-destruction. Want to annihilate the same old contradiction." :lol:

Hahahaha, I thought it said "want to annihilate this age old Constitution"

Dumb...

:mellow: me too, until this moment!

Exactly!

hahahaha, thats fukking hysterical. i thought i'd pee myself there for a second...

And then found that you did.

Broken vase.

EDIT: I just watched it. That was fucking funny as shit.

In Burnout i heard "I live inside this pencil cave throw my promotion away, hell who needs it anyways"

HAHAHHAHAHAHA

I FOUND MY CHICKEN SPOT! :woot:

to recap: On F.O.D., I keep hearing "where's my chicken spot", and I checked the lyrics and, without the music, it didn't make sense that I hear that. Today I realise that "where's my chicken spot" is actually "Stuck down in a rut of dislogic and smut" :lol: omg, i'm really deaf, but english is not my first language, so... it's okay.

and it's not worst than ducks and all

WTF. Just when I think it can't get any funnier. It's odd how the lyrics that "I" hear so clearly can be so easily misinterpreted. I realize that it's the same for others, hence I in quotes. :) FTR. I think besides WTP, FOD was Green Day's first perfect song.

When I first heard Horseshoes and Handgrenades, I thought Billie said "I'm not fucking round", which made me lol because I thought of a fat Billie yelling about his weight.

Ahhh, you were just missing a vowel, albeit an important one. It's funny that you thought it was about his weight though, especially since he's a rail. That said, "I'm not fucking a round" meaning a round chick would be funny, and mean.

hahahaha, thats fukking hysterical. i thought i'd pee myself there for a second...

Oh my god. I seriously just died. That was so funny. xD

In Stuart and the ave, I thought he said "You're a plan of my dead past as rotting makes a stand" but yeah, apparently he says "You're a blur of my dead past and rotting existance" or something like that.

Ha, I was close. :P

And Today I heard my brother singing Know Your Enemy: "Do you know the Emily?, Do you know your Emily? Well, gotta know the Emily, rah ah" :lol:

He's only 7, so yeah, I guess that's what his ears hear. idk. :lol:

and in 80, I thought he said, "But you turn all red and I end up talking to myself." instead of "But you turn your head and I end up talking to myself"

I thought that made sense cause the previous lyric was "If anyone can hear me slap some sense into me."

and I was like, "Oh, of course...you got slapped so hard that you turned red. Okay. That makes perfect sense." :lol:

OMG, I thought that too! hha xD

• Like 1

First verse of line of American Idiot always screws me up. I always thought it was "Don't want a nation under the new media". Then I saw the special edition booklet, and it says "under the new mania", as does GDA. But then you play Green Day Rock Band, and fucking hell, it's "Under the new MEDIA"! Make up your minds already!!!

No!!! It's mania? :o

Oh, I always thought in Give Me Novicaine, Billie Joe said " Jimmy says its better than air"

and that somewhat works.

I always thought that he said 'air' until I looked it up. I thought it made perfect sense like novacaine is better than air - like with the dentist, lol.

In BOBD, the line that goes, "But it's home to me, and I walk alone" - I always sang, "But it's only me, and I walk alone." Not until I saw the musical and heard John Gallagher sing it did I realize what it really was.

No!!! It's mania? :o

I always thought that he said 'air' until I looked it up. I thought it made perfect sense like novacaine is better than air - like with the dentist, lol.

In BOBD, the line that goes, "But it's home to me, and I walk alone" - I always sang, "But it's only me, and I walk alone." Not until I saw the musical and heard John Gallagher sing it did I realize what it really was.

I have been singing all three of those lines wrong :mellow:

Also in Give Me Novicaine, when Billie Joe says, " oh novacaine ahh" right before the guitar solo, I always thought Billie Joe said something like "ill never get outt"

Holy shizz!! I thought he said that too. HA.

And Today I heard my brother singing Know Your Enemy: "Do you know the Emily?, Do you know your Emily? Well, gotta know the Emily, rah ah" :lol:

He's only 7, so yeah, I guess that's what his ears hear. idk. :lol:

HAHA. My nephew loves Know your Enemy and I remember the first time he was singing it: "Radda Radda Raddamy, Radda Radda Raddmy, Well, Radda Radda Raddmy, ra ra."

I was like, "Dude, what are you singing?" and he was like, "Um...Know Your Enemy. And you say you're a Green Day fan?" :lol:

He's 8 so I cut him a break. But, he does know the real words now. :lol:

Oh, and in The Static Age I heard, "Silence of the water, daughter" instead of "The silence of the rotten, forgotten"

I was sorta, kinda close. :P

Panic song:

"There's a flag inside of me" instead of "There's a plague inside of me"

"Liquid Faith" instead of 'Limp with hate"

I honestly don't know why I don't question whether they are the real lyrics, when they clearly make no sense :lol:

I always thought "this life like dream ain't for me" was "his wife like Tre ain't for me".

Judge's Daughter:

"I prayed to the being in the sky, that my parents sew me up" instead of "I prayed to the being in the sky that my parents told me of"

I thought it was really sweet, that because of this girl he was falling to pieces, and he wants his parents to sew him up (metaphorically) so he feels whole again :pinch:

Letterbomb: "You're fucking only along for the ride" instead of "Like a flunkie only along for the ride"

thanks for setting me straight on that one! i've been singing it wrong for years

i love this new thread! i'm learning so much.....

i love this new thread! i'm learning so much.....

Same here! I don't know whether this is good or not, but now when i sing along and something doesn't make sense, I actually look it up. Like you said, I'm learning heaps :lol: