Misheard Green Day Lyrics

LaughingClock

5 minutes ago, jengd said:

Pretty sure he has sung that live somewhere or another.

I can't remember if it's that or just that loads of people have heard it that way :lol:. Does sound like something he'd do though, similar to "Mike Dirnt's a dirty whore" in When I Come Around etc.

@Hermione I think it was pretty clear at the time and he looked at Mike and they both laughed, just got no idea where to even begin looking for the video.  Poor Mike, once you hear some of these, you can't unhear them, Billie makes them fit too well.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, jengd said:

@Hermione I think it was pretty clear at the time and he looked at Mike and they both laughed, just got no idea where to even begin looking for the video.  Poor Mike, once you hear some of these, you can't unhear them, Billie makes them fit too well.

I just couldn't remember, that's excellent :D 

In Letterbomb, I've always misheard the line "Where will all the martyrs go when the VIRUS CURES itself?", as "Where will all the martyrs go when the VIOLENCE KILLS itself?" And I would think to myself, wow thats totally bad ass and has a cool meaning behind it. Not gonna lie, I was a little disappointed to see it wasn't my rendition, but the original line is way more creative even though I don't fully understand it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Burness said:

In Letterbomb, I've always misheard the line "Where will all the martyrs go when the VIRUS CURES itself?", as "Where will all the martyrs go when the VIOLENCE KILLS itself?" And I would think to myself, wow thats totally bad ass and has a cool meaning behind it. Not gonna lie, I was a little disappointed to see it wasn't my rendition, but the original line is way more creative even though I don't fully understand it.

I feel the same way about my misheard Letterbomb lyric! I always thought “The television’s an extortionist” was an awesome line and turns out he didn’t even write it :lol: 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Hermione said:

Someone said to my sister that "she's a rebel" sounds like "she's a Red Bull". SONG RUINED

I used to think the lyric "She's a saint" was "She's insane"

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

I used to think the lyric "She's a saint" was "She's insane"

My brother used to think "she's the salt of the earth" was "she's a soldier of the earth". The whole chorus is a misheard lyrics nightmare :lol: 

• Haha 1

In American Idiot, my father misheard "Well maybe i'm the faggot America", as "Well maybe i'm the fat cat American". Which to be honest can work considering the definition.

• Like 1

When I listen to Wow! That's Loud all I can hear is "I like dirty traces of loud, and it goes..". I have absolutely no idea what the actual lyrics are. 
I know I've looked it up several times but I don't remember.  I tried hearing what the fuck he's singing just now but I can't, I simply can't

Edited by Guest

In 'Lady Cobra' I though he was singing

'drinking piss for cheap guitars' 

not

'drink and kiss for cheap guitars'

it's pretty different. 

On 2/16/2018 at 5:46 PM, Nightlife said:

When I listen to Wow! That's Loud all I can hear is "I like dirty traces of loud, and it goes..". I have absolutely no idea what the actual lyrics are. 
I know I've looked it up several times but I don't remember.  I tried hearing what the fuck he's singing just now but I can't, I simply can't

Wow, that dirty dress is so loud is what he's actually singing. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, E X H A U S T E D said:

not

'drink and kiss for cheap guitars'

it's pretty different. 

Is he not? It says "drinking piss" on most of the lyric websites I've found

4 minutes ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

I don't think so...? Maybe??? It really sounds like that (drinking piss) to me... maybe I'm wrong... 

6 minutes ago, E X H A U S T E D said:

I don't think so...? Maybe??? It really sounds like that (drinking piss) to me... maybe I'm wrong... 

It's hard to tell when listening to the song but I've just gone with what I've seen on lyric websites or lyric videos which has been "drinking piss".

16 minutes ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

It's hard to tell when listening to the song but I've just gone with what I've seen on lyric websites or lyric videos which has been "drinking piss".

I've seen both, I have 0 idea which is right. Drink and kiss seems more likely to me, though.

52 minutes ago, E X H A U S T E D said:

That is also consistent with other lyrics on the trilogy like “drinking angel’s piss” in Nuclear Family.

So my muscle memory failed me listening to Hitchin a Ride the other day and I honestly couldn’t remember whether it was “the well that inebriates the guilt” or “the well that alleviates the guilt” since they sound almost exactly alike and alleviates the guilt is an actual phrase.  So once I looked it up and verified it was “inebriates” it struck me what a brilliant bit of wordplay that was. 💚 

• Like 4

It's piss.  There's an interview with Lady Cobra that mentions it-

There is also a song Lady Cobra which features on their album Dos; what does that song mean to you?

LC: The song is a bit of an introduction to Nightlife or an invitation to the MKOTC/Green Day party. Not everyone can handle the party though, shit gets weird. People drink piss.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Montclare said:

It's piss.  There's an interview with Lady Cobra about it-

There is also a song Lady Cobra which features on their album Dos; what does that song mean to you?

LC: The song is a bit of an introduction to Nightlife or an invitation to the MKOTC/Green Day party. Not everyone can handle the party though, shit gets weird. People drink piss.

And here I just thought he was referring to cheap beer 🤢🤮

On ‎18‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 3:50 PM, Christian's Inferno! said:

I thought it was "drinking piss from cheap guitars", a nasty version of champagne from a shoe! Not sure how you would do that without pouring it over yourself though, or is that too much detail?

• 1 month later...

This isn't really a misheard lyric, but my mam just started singing Redundant as "I cannot eat, I've lost my teeth, toothless and redundant.":lol:

• Haha 3

I'm listening to ''Deadbeat Holiday'' right now. It always gives me a certain feeling in the early morning... Anyway, since the 1st time I've listened to it, I've always heard ''Francesco back to August'' instead of ''Grudges come back to haunt us''. And my name is Francesco. Oh, I'm sorry, from now on someone will hear it too, probably, Lol! PS: Warning is so good!

On 3/24/2018 at 1:38 PM, G-L-O-R-I-A said:

This isn't really a misheard lyric, but my mam just started singing Redundant as "I cannot eat, I've lost my teeth, toothless and redundant.":lol:

Don't you know that the video for ''Geek Stink Breath'' was supposed to be the one for ''Redundant''? :P

12 hours ago, disappearingfs said:

I'm listening to ''Deadbeat Holiday'' right now. It always gives me a certain feeling in the early morning... Anyway, since the 1st time I've listened to it, I've always heard ''Francesco back to August'' instead of ''Grudges come back to haunt us''. And my name is Francesco. Oh, I'm sorry, from now on someone will hear it too, probably, Lol! PS: Warning is so good!

Don't you know that the video for ''Geek Stink Breath'' was supposed to be the one for ''Redundant''? :P

I always think that "her mind" in She sounds like Hermione :lol:. Maybe hearing your own name in lyrics is some kind of natural phenomenon.

8 hours ago, Hermione said:

I always think that "her mind" in She sounds like Hermione :lol:. Maybe hearing your own name in lyrics is some kind of natural phenomenon.

In ''She'' I always hear, ''A sullen rally penetrating tru good morning'' :P

• Haha 1