Misheard Green Day Lyrics

LaughingClock

I don't think I properly know a single lyric from Dookie, I noticed that when listening to the a capellas. I was singing along and suddenly realising I had no idea what the line actually was.

Also, the end of the American Idiot chorus "for that's enough to argue", I always thought it was "convinving them to walk you". I think I might have read that on a lyrics site, but yeah. I don't remember what I thought that meant either...

"A social tool without a use" from She I sang for a decade as "a so so dog without a use", knowing it wasn't the right lyric, but I needed something at that part.

• Like 1

In Jaded, instead of "Somebody keep my balance, I think I'm falling off," I thought it was "Somebody take my pants, I think I'm going off" o_O

I like your lyric better actually. :whistle

Same here! Not looking off the lyrics, I know the chorus, and the opening line.

Kinda strange thing here... but I was just playing this song, and I swear Billie just said something about pulling dicks. :lol: That's definitely not the right lyrics...

Haha. Never know, but no. :)

In Jaded, instead of "Somebody keep my balance, I think I'm falling off," I thought it was "Somebody take my pants, I think I'm going off" o_O

is billie ur crush? :blink:

When I first heard Jesus of Suburbia, I was really convinced there was a section about cats. Something along the lines of, "I have a cat, if you don't. I have a cat, if you don't. I have a cat, if you don't cat. I like cats."

Ahahaha! This is the best one, I laughed so hard. Thanks! Great one! :lol:

I always used to think the 2nd line in the chorus of Holiday was "this is the darling of the rest of our lives" as in "this is the greatest thing you'll ever accomplish, and you'll remember it for the rest of your life" being the "darling". I dunno, I like to rationalise my poor hearing I guess.

In Homecoming when he says "I started fucking running as soon as my feet touched ground" I always thought he said something about pizza. I can't remember exactly what I thought it was, but whenever I'd listen to that part I'd always think it never made sense. :lol:

i started pizza running ?! xDDDDDD

When I first heard Jesus of Suburbia, I was really convinced there was a section about cats. Something along the lines of, "I have a cat, if you don't. I have a cat, if you don't. I have a cat, if you don't cat. I like cats."

And I'm pretty sure I still don't sing any of the correct lyrics for American Idiot, haha.

I literally lol'd at that one! xD

Letterbomb "The television's an extortionist, and it don't even know that you exist"

is a way better line than "the town preacher" :thumbsup: it makes the tv seem alive, innit? It's the kind of imagery that is dotted around the album, and fits with the themes he talks about in American Idiot (the song).

I still hear television, even if I know it says bishop :ninja:

Isn't it "The town bishop's an extortionist, and he don't even know that you exist"?

I've misread a lot of lyrics but for some reason I can't think of any right now.

edit: Thought of one! Jaded. I thought it was "Somebody keep my pants I think there falling off." instead of "Somebody keep my balance I think I'm falling off."

I hear that too! xDDD

and I can't hear "subliminal mindfuck america", I hear something else instead of subliminal xD Like.. "The sububurban", don't know :lol:

Speaking of Rock Band, I always thought in Burnout he just said "dead" followed by the guitar building up and then the drum/guitar solo. BUT NO! I'm singing along on Rock Band and I'm astonished to discover it actually goes "dead, deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad!" :o How I never heard that before, I do not know.

Any time my mum walks in the room and hears a Green Day song playing she is guaranteed to mishear a lyric. In Longview "I'm sick of all the same old chicks". The best one has to be Pieces Of Truth though, or as she heard it "Little pieces of poo" :lol:

In Paper lanterns, I always thought Billie said: "Now I rest my head from such an endless jury time." And I still say it like that, even though I know it's "dreary time." :lol:

And In She it's: "I'm taking heed just for you." I always thought he said "I'll take it in just for you." Yeah, it made sense to me. :P

Omg. :lol:

QUEEESTION! What the fuck is the meaning of "taking heed"?! xD

Same here! Not looking off the lyrics, I know the chorus, and the opening line.

Kinda strange thing here... but I was just playing this song, and I swear Billie just said something about pulling dicks. :lol: That's definitely not the right lyrics...

I freakin' love threads like this. I also like how the mods come in and rescue new threads now! Makes me happy. :happy:

Up until about a week ago, I thought the lyrics to 21st Century Breakdown went, 'We are the class of, the class of thirteen!' I had completely forgotten it was really, 'We are the cries of the class of thirteen', haha. :D

... but it does say "we're the class of the class" .___.

Speaking of Rock Band, I always thought in Burnout he just said "dead" followed by the guitar building up and then the drum/guitar solo. BUT NO! I'm singing along on Rock Band and I'm astonished to discover it actually goes "dead, deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad!" :o How I never heard that before, I do not know.

Any time my mum walks in the room and hears a Green Day song playing she is guaranteed to mishear a lyric. In Longview "I'm sick of all the same old chicks". The best one has to be Pieces Of Truth though, or as she heard it "Little pieces of poo" :lol:

The little pieces of poo, they stick around forever?! :lol:

... but it does say "we're the class of the class" .___.

Exactly! I said, "he didn't say poo!" and she said "why's he talking about a shovel then?" :lol:

Taking heed means paying close attention to something, taking notice of it and considering it. So if you took heed of some advice, you'd listen to and think about that advice.

There is some funny ass shit in here. "This is the darling of the rest of our lives".

And Cheapskatee, posting all those lyrics and bolding the lyrics that you know was priceless. HAHAHA.

Hey, what about lyrics that you saw a show where Billie changed the lyrics at a show or a bunch of shows and you can't get that version out of your head.

I did that with BTL when he changed "Songs of yesterday now live, CAALLLIIFFFOORRRNNNIIAAAA" on the Cali shows and now when I'm singing that, I sometimes accidentally throw that in.

Since the 94 Dookie tour (age shown, but I was a kid ;) ) he ALWAYS sang "How now brown cow" instead of "When I come around"...He still does it but he used to always.

Bringing up rockband again, does anyone find it odd that Harmonix/MTV decided to block out the "bad words" but left all the drug references including "Mary jane, doing someone elses cocaine" and one that might have just slipped under the radar because it's an OLLLD school term but in "Brain Stew" when he says "No rest for crosstops in my head", he is referring to amphetamine pills that they used to be heavily in to and that time where you're done partying and they (meaning the cross tops) aren't. Those amphetamine pills (much like aderral) are called "Crosstops". So they can't say FUCK but they can talk about speed and cocaine all they want. A little consistency? ha. If you have never tried speed, DONT, and if you ever need a reason, really listen to the lyrics of Brain Stew and know that it feels about 1000x worse than the song makes it. "Crooked spine...clock laughing in my face....eyes feel like their gonna bleed......"... Say no to drugs. :D:runaround:

Ok. back on topic.

Small one but on JOS I always thought "it didn't say much but it only confirmed at the center of the earth is the end of the world", I thought it said "at the center of the earth is the underworld.". I like my lyric better in this case. It also goes perfect with the lines before it.

Also, to the person that thought it was "we are the cries of the class of 13", I also always thought it said "we are the class, the class of 13" but after listening to it again with that in mind, it most certainly sounds like "we are the cries of the class of 13"

I freakin' love threads like this. I also like how the mods come in and rescue new threads now! Makes me happy. :happy:

Up until about a week ago, I thought the lyrics to 21st Century Breakdown went, 'We are the class of, the class of thirteen!' I had completely forgotten it was really, 'We are the cries of the class of thirteen', haha. :D

Only the leaked demo is "we are the cries of the class of 13". The actual release is "We are the class of the class of 13" and the lyric sheet for the album just has "we are the class of 13" written for that verse -- looks like Billie just repeats "the class of" once to make the meter fit.

Edit: Matt's 21CB acapellas help make this real clear -- I'm definitely hearing "the class of" twice in that verse.

I never mistook this one, but someone else on this forum mentioned a long time ago they thought "Welcome to Paradise" said "Pay attention to the cracked streets and the broken gnomes". It's always made me giggle when I listen to WTP.

PDP0945097_P.JPG

Love that photo....looks like the little Travelocity guy got hit by a bus or something! :lol:

Small one but on JOS I always thought "it didn't say much but it only confirmed at the center of the earth is the end of the world", I thought it said "at the center of the earth is the underworld.". I like my lyric better in this case. It also goes perfect with the lines before it.

omg he doesnt say underworld? i always thought he did!

and in road to acceptance when he says "When it goes insane" i always thought he said "When Nick goes insane" i spent a LONGGG time time trying to figure out whi Nick was

oh and in Stuck with Me i heard "im not subcoming into you i'm just alright" instead of "not subserviant to you im just alright".

and in Holiday the line "Just cause, just cause because we're outlaws yeah" i thought was "just cause, just case i here to partyyyyy"

yeah dont ask.

The best one has to be Pieces Of Truth though, or as she heard it "Little pieces of poo" :lol:

Aw, geez, I just snarfed my coffee on that one!!!

Listening to someone, responding to them, maybe even just getting the hell out of their way when they go postal (there's a good SOTW thread on "She" by the way -- http://www.greendaycommunity.org/Forum/index.php?showtopic=73902)

Oh, f*ck, my sides hurt now.....OWWW!!

i started pizza running ?! xDDDDDD

I can't remember how I sang it, but it didn't even have running in it, I thought that whole line had something to do with pizza.

That's what I get for never looking at the lyrics.

and in Holiday the line "Just cause, just cause because we're outlaws yeah" i thought was "just cause, just case i here to partyyyyy"

yeah dont ask.

simpsons_nelson_haha2.jpg

Oh, and Mari, I just learned that it was not underworld. Now that you know when you really listen for it, you'll wonder how you didn't know. You ARE the first person that I know that actually thought that with me. Good show. :)

dry ice! (btw best guitar solo ever) I used to sing "the meanings of pain it's in my heart" instead of "come ease the pain that's in my heart". still laugh at that. how many meanings could possibly have the word pain? :huh:

This thread makes me wonder at any given second during a Green Day show how many people are singing the wrong lyrics. We are the fanatics and we probably represent about 5%-10% of the actual attendance so imagine what they are singing. HA.

This isn't my mistake, but in Green Day Rock Band there's some mistakes. Like In East Jesus Nowhere for some reason in the end they tell you to sing "A PYRE BURNS TODAY" instead of a fire. And at the very end of Hitchin' a Ride the very ending phrase they tell you to sing is "ONE SAY BIRTHDAY BOYS HEY" which I'm pretty sure they made up just for fun lol.

This thread makes me wonder at any given second during a Green Day show how many people are singing the wrong lyrics. We are the fanatics and we probably represent about 5%-10% of the actual attendance so imagine what they are singing. HA.

Haha, good point. I'm sure it'd be pretty hilarious to hear what some people were singing...

For the longest time I thought the opening lyrics to Having A Blast were "Chicken, are you down with me" :whistle

EDIT: Oh, and in No Pride I heard "I am just a monk and nowhere is my home"

• Like 2

When I was much younger, in Jinx, instead of "Torture me I've been a bad boy", I thought it said "Tell Jimmy I've been a bad boy" which seemed to make sense because, at the time, I thought Saint Jimmy was a real person xD.

On the American Idiot album, a few songs, I had trouble with deciphering them.

Letterbomb: "Standing sideways to die." and "Where will all the minors go when the pilot kills himself." O_O

Homecoming: "Please call...BE only, if you are coming home." and "Bearing gifts, and DRUGS."

I know there's more...ugh. Dig memory, DIG! =/

Scattered: "Dragging on a symphony"

I think it was more I didn't hear/know the lyric, so I just mumbled or ad-libbed it whilst singing it. =p

:woot: I'm not the only one who thought that?

I don't think so :lol:

is billie ur crush? :blink:

Why would you think that? :blink:

I like your lyric better actually. :whistle

haha, thanks!

"While the mom and brats are away" - Jesus of Suburbia

For five years now I thought it was BRAD'S...like they were talking about his mom's boyfriend, and I always wondered about the "are" because the sentence didn't make sense. I don't know WHY it took me so long to figure it out!