Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Green Day lyrics you thought were one thing and eventually turned out to be another

• Please log in to reply
2398 replies to this topic

Vespertine

Vespertine
  • Dominated Love Slave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,086 posts
  • Joined Nov 16, 2009
  • 450 rep
In Jaded, instead of "Somebody keep my balance, I think I'm falling off," I thought it was "Somebody take my pants, I think they're falling off" o_O
  • Piva, Radio Victim and ilovenimrod. like this

kerplunk_chick

kerplunk_chick
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Joined Apr 30, 2006
  • 230 rep
To this day, I am still unsure about the lyrics in FOD.
Does he say "I'm taking pleasure in the doubts I've passed to you." or "I'm taking pleasure in the masochistic youth." ?
Because I always thought it was "I'm taking pleasure in the doubts I've passed to you", but a friend of mine told me about the masochistic youth lyrics she read on a lyrics site, and now I'm not so sure about it.
I've been singing it my way for years, and I'll feel so weird if i realize it's been wrong this whole time.
And I'll feel even weirder if he takes pleasure in the masochistic youth.
XD

nah

nah
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,022 posts
  • Joined Apr 10, 2009
  • 796 rep
^ He says I'm taking pleasure in announcing this to you.

I always thought BIllie Joe said gooooooooooooo dieeeeeeeeeeeee at the end of F.O.D., but i guess its Good Night.

billiejoe1

billiejoe1
  • You're In My Spot!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,193 posts
  • Joined Dec 05, 2005
  • 358 rep

In Jaded, instead of "Somebody keep my balance, I think I'm falling off," I thought it was "Somebody take my pants, I think I'm going off" o_O

:woot: I'm not the only one who thought that?

kerplunk_chick

kerplunk_chick
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Joined Apr 30, 2006
  • 230 rep

I always thought BIllie Joe said gooooooooooooo dieeeeeeeeeeeee at the end of F.O.D., but i guess its Good Night.

you could possibly be my hero right now.
haha.
thanks alot for clearing that up for me.
i haven't played FOD as a singer on rockband yet to find out what the lyrics are.

walking wounded

walking wounded
  • searching for a pulse

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,456 posts
  • Joined Oct 22, 2009
  • 171 rep
In Paper lanterns, I always thought Billie said: "Now I rest my head from such an endless jury time." And I still say it like that, even though I know it's "dreary time." :lol:
And In She it's: "I'm taking heed just for you." I always thought he said "I'll take it in just for you." Yeah, it made sense to me. :P

When I first heard Jesus of Suburbia, I was really convinced there was a section about cats. Something along the lines of, "I have a cat, if you don't. I have a cat, if you don't. I have a cat, if you don't cat. I like cats."

Omg. :lol:

Linny

Linny
  • Little One

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Joined Jun 21, 2010
  • 1 rep
In Minority, I always heard, "like a shithead runs from earth" instead of, "like a sheep runs from the herd". :D

mallorymaloney

mallorymaloney
  • I'm wearing my heart on a noose.

• 3,516 posts
  • Joined Dec 29, 2006
  • 445 rep
I freakin' love threads like this. I also like how the mods come in and rescue new threads now! Makes me happy. :happy:

Up until about a week ago, I thought the lyrics to 21st Century Breakdown went, 'We are the class of, the class of thirteen!' I had completely forgotten it was really, 'We are the cries of the class of thirteen', haha. :D

Heather!

Heather!
  • decaying organic matter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,802 posts
  • Joined Feb 03, 2006
  • 407 rep

I could NEVER get that line until I heard it acapella.

in Android, I always heard "I'll keep my husband in the ground" rather than it keeps my head spinning around.
  • Piva likes this

windstruck

windstruck
  • Little One

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Joined Jan 04, 2010
  • 0 rep

In Minority where he sings; "For crying out loud,she screamed unto me", I thought he sang "screamed under me". A bit perverted.

LOL. You just informed me he DOESN'T say "under me." Well then... :whistle

kerplunk_chick

kerplunk_chick
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Joined Apr 30, 2006
  • 230 rep

I freakin' love threads like this. I also like how the mods come in and rescue new threads now! Makes me happy. http://www.greendaycommunity.org/Forum/p...

Up until about a week ago, I thought the lyrics to 21st Century Breakdown went, 'We are the class of, the class of thirteen!' I had completely forgotten it was really, 'We are the cries of the class of thirteen', haha. http://www.greendaycommunity.org/Forum/p...

that's what i thought it was too. :blink:

PasalacquaBomb

PasalacquaBomb
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,568 posts
  • Joined Sep 28, 2009
  • 20 rep

I can remember so many times reading Green Day lyrics of a song and just being like "http://www.greendaycommunity.org/Forum/p... THAT'S what he says?"

Oh yea, I remember that, too. Especially the Insomniac lyrics. xD

Heather!

Heather!

• 8,802 posts
  • Joined Feb 03, 2006
  • 407 rep
Billie is borderline impossible to understand in a lot of songs off Insomniac. I still have no idea what half the lyrics to Bab's Uvula Who? are.
  • TheGrouch33 likes this

Angela.

Angela.
  • Jesus of Pittsburghia

• 8,732 posts
  • Joined Mar 07, 2009
  • 482 rep

Billie is borderline impossible to understand in a lot of songs off Insomniac. I still have no idea what half the lyrics to Bab's Uvula Who? are.

Same here! Not looking off the lyrics, I know the chorus, and the opening line.
Kinda strange thing here... but I was just playing this song, and I swear Billie just said something about pulling dicks. :lol: That's definitely not the right lyrics...

nah

nah
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,022 posts
  • Joined Apr 10, 2009
  • 796 rep

I freakin' love threads like this. I also like how the mods come in and rescue new threads now! Makes me happy. http://www.greendaycommunity.org/Forum/p...

Up until about a week ago, I thought the lyrics to 21st Century Breakdown went, 'We are the class of, the class of thirteen!' I had completely forgotten it was really, 'We are the cries of the class of thirteen', haha. http://www.greendaycommunity.org/Forum/p...

I'm pretty sure it is "We are the class of, the class of thirteen".

Advertising

Heather!

Heather!

• 8,802 posts
  • Joined Feb 03, 2006
  • 407 rep

Kinda strange thing here... but I was just playing this song, and I swear Billie just said something about pulling dicks. http://www.greendaycommunity.org/Forum/p... That's definitely not the right lyrics...

Hahaha, oh wow. I need to go look up the lyrics now...
I'm listening to Stuck with Me and it sounded like "what's the price, and will a baby" :lol:

I'm pretty sure it is "We are the class of, the class of thirteen".

That's what I've always thought it was.

PasalacquaBomb

PasalacquaBomb
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,568 posts
  • Joined Sep 28, 2009
  • 20 rep
I can't understand Bab's Uvala Who at all. Not even the chorus. oO xD
  • Shredder2 likes this

Heather!

Heather!

• 8,802 posts
  • Joined Feb 03, 2006
  • 407 rep

I've got a knack for fucking everything up
My temper flies and I get myself all wound up

My fuse is short and my blood pressure is high
I lose control and I get myself all wound up
Tension mounts and I fly off the wall
I self-destruct and I get myself all wound up

Petulance and irritation sets in
I throw a tantrum and I get myself all up
Chip on my shoulder and a leech on my back
Stuck in a rut and I get myself all wound up

Killed my composure and it will never come back
Loss of control and I get myself all wound up
Blown out of proportion again
My temper snaps and I get myself all wound up
Spontaneous combustion
Panic attack
I slipped a gear I get myself all wound up

The bolded lines are the only ones I know. :lol:

arian

arian
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,465 posts
  • Joined Jul 25, 2005
  • 8 rep

I never mistook this one, but someone else on this forum mentioned a long time ago they thought "Welcome to Paradise" said "Pay attention to the cracked streets and the broken gnomes". It's always made me giggle when I listen to WTP.

:mad: Dammit, that's what I thought he said..

Floyd Pinkerton

Floyd Pinkerton
  • Head of Tom's legal council

• 18,507 posts
  • Joined Jun 08, 2009
  • 2,623 rep
In Holiday I heard "I bet you true men get that from the hall of lies". Contradictory, I know.
In When I Come Around I heard "So go knock down my door" and "So don't do what you like; make sure you do it right".
And it's not really Green Day, but it's the Network so it counts....in Roshambo I always heard "I'm not looking for a funnyon" instead of "I'm not looking for a bargain".
And there was someone who thought Minority said "A free for all, ducks and all" instead of "fuck 'em all". I forget who it was. But I quite like that version better. :lol:
  • beejeezee likes this

crock6000

crock6000
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Joined Aug 26, 2009
  • 817 rep

I don't think I properly know a single lyric from Dookie, I noticed that when listening to the a capellas. I was singing along and suddenly realising I had no idea what the line actually was.

Also, the end of the American Idiot chorus "for that's enough to argue", I always thought it was "convinving them to walk you". I think I might have read that on a lyrics site, but yeah. I don't remember what I thought that meant either...

"A social tool without a use" from She I sang for a decade as "a so so dog without a use", knowing it wasn't the right lyric, but I needed something at that part.

crock6000

crock6000
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Joined Aug 26, 2009
  • 817 rep

In Jaded, instead of "Somebody keep my balance, I think I'm falling off," I thought it was "Somebody take my pants, I think I'm going off" o_O

I like your lyric better actually. :whistle

Kinda strange thing here... but I was just playing this song, and I swear Billie just said something about pulling dicks. http://www.greendaycommunity.org/Forum/p... That's definitely not the right lyrics...

Haha. Never know, but no. :)

iwroteholdencaulfield!

iwroteholdencaulfield!
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts
  • Joined Jan 09, 2010
  • 25 rep

is billie ur crush? :blink:

sampy

sampy
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,424 posts
  • Joined Sep 22, 2007
  • 502 rep

When I first heard Jesus of Suburbia, I was really convinced there was a section about cats. Something along the lines of, "I have a cat, if you don't. I have a cat, if you don't. I have a cat, if you don't cat. I like cats."

Ahahaha! This is the best one, I laughed so hard. Thanks! Great one! :lol:

Blond-O-Sonic Shimmer Trap

Blond-O-Sonic Shimmer Trap
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts
  • Joined Apr 11, 2009
  • 657 rep
I always used to think the 2nd line in the chorus of Holiday was "this is the darling of the rest of our lives" as in "this is the greatest thing you'll ever accomplish, and you'll remember it for the rest of your life" being the "darling". I dunno, I like to rationalise my poor hearing I guess.

LetItBeHappy

LetItBeHappy
  • Even in death may you be triumphant!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,374 posts
  • Joined Dec 03, 2008
  • 155 rep

In Homecoming when he says "I started fucking running as soon as my feet touched ground" I always thought he said something about pizza. I can't remember exactly what I thought it was, but whenever I'd listen to that part I'd always think it never made sense. http://www.greendaycommunity.org/Forum/p...

i started pizza running ?! xDDDDDD

And I'm pretty sure I still don't sing any of the correct lyrics for American Idiot, haha.

I literally lol'd at that one! xD

Letterbomb "The television's an extortionist, and it don't even know that you exist"

is a way better line than "the town preacher" http://www.greendaycommunity.org/Forum/p... it makes the tv seem alive, innit? It's the kind of imagery that is dotted around the album, and fits with the themes he talks about in American Idiot (the song).

I still hear television, even if I know it says bishop :ninja:

Isn't it "The town bishop's an extortionist, and he don't even know that you exist"?

I've misread a lot of lyrics but for some reason I can't think of any right now.

edit: Thought of one! Jaded. I thought it was "Somebody keep my pants I think there falling off." instead of "Somebody keep my balance I think I'm falling off."

I hear that too! xDDD

and I can't hear "subliminal mindfuck america", I hear something else instead of subliminal xD Like.. "The sububurban", don't know :lol:

Hermione

Hermione
  • Soggy Dream

• 27,163 posts
  • Joined Jan 09, 2008
  • 9,768 rep
Speaking of Rock Band, I always thought in Burnout he just said "dead" followed by the guitar building up and then the drum/guitar solo. BUT NO! I'm singing along on Rock Band and I'm astonished to discover it actually goes "dead, deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad!" :o How I never heard that before, I do not know.

Any time my mum walks in the room and hears a Green Day song playing she is guaranteed to mishear a lyric. In Longview "I'm sick of all the same old chicks". The best one has to be Pieces Of Truth though, or as she heard it "Little pieces of poo" :lol:

LetItBeHappy

LetItBeHappy
  • Even in death may you be triumphant!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,374 posts
  • Joined Dec 03, 2008
  • 155 rep

In Paper lanterns, I always thought Billie said: "Now I rest my head from such an endless jury time." And I still say it like that, even though I know it's "dreary time." http://www.greendaycommunity.org/Forum/p...
And In She it's: "I'm taking heed just for you." I always thought he said "I'll take it in just for you." Yeah, it made sense to me. http://www.greendaycommunity.org/Forum/p...

Omg. http://www.greendaycommunity.org/Forum/p...

QUEEESTION! What the fuck is the meaning of "taking heed"?! xD

... but it does say "we're the class of the class" .___.

Speaking of Rock Band, I always thought in Burnout he just said "dead" followed by the guitar building up and then the drum/guitar solo. BUT NO! I'm singing along on Rock Band and I'm astonished to discover it actually goes "dead, deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad!" http://www.greendaycommunity.org/Forum/p... How I never heard that before, I do not know.

Any time my mum walks in the room and hears a Green Day song playing she is guaranteed to mishear a lyric. In Longview "I'm sick of all the same old chicks". The best one has to be Pieces Of Truth though, or as she heard it "Little pieces of poo" http://www.greendaycommunity.org/Forum/p...

The little pieces of poo, they stick around forever?! :lol:

Hermione

Hermione
  • Soggy Dream

• 27,163 posts
  • Joined Jan 09, 2008
  • 9,768 rep

QUEEESTION! What the fuck is the meaning of "taking heed"?! xD

... but it does say "we're the class of the class" .___.

The little pieces of poo, they stick around forever?! http://www.greendaycommunity.org/Forum/p...

Exactly! I said, "he didn't say poo!" and she said "why's he talking about a shovel then?" :lol:

Taking heed means paying close attention to something, taking notice of it and considering it. So if you took heed of some advice, you'd listen to and think about that advice.

crock6000

crock6000
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Joined Aug 26, 2009
  • 817 rep
There is some funny ass shit in here. "This is the darling of the rest of our lives".

And Cheapskatee, posting all those lyrics and bolding the lyrics that you know was priceless. HAHAHA.

Hey, what about lyrics that you saw a show where Billie changed the lyrics at a show or a bunch of shows and you can't get that version out of your head.

I did that with BTL when he changed "Songs of yesterday now live, CAALLLIIFFFOORRRNNNIIAAAA" on the Cali shows and now when I'm singing that, I sometimes accidentally throw that in.

Since the 94 Dookie tour (age shown, but I was a kid ;) ) he ALWAYS sang "How now brown cow" instead of "When I come around"...He still does it but he used to always.

Bringing up rockband again, does anyone find it odd that Harmonix/MTV decided to block out the "bad words" but left all the drug references including "Mary jane, doing someone elses cocaine" and one that might have just slipped under the radar because it's an OLLLD school term but in "Brain Stew" when he says "No rest for crosstops in my head", he is referring to amphetamine pills that they used to be heavily in to and that time where you're done partying and they (meaning the cross tops) aren't. Those amphetamine pills (much like aderral) are called "Crosstops". So they can't say FUCK but they can talk about speed and cocaine all they want. A little consistency? ha. If you have never tried speed, DONT, and if you ever need a reason, really listen to the lyrics of Brain Stew and know that it feels about 1000x worse than the song makes it. "Crooked spine...clock laughing in my face....eyes feel like their gonna bleed......"... Say no to drugs. :D :runaround:

Ok. back on topic.

Small one but on JOS I always thought "it didn't say much but it only confirmed at the center of the earth is the end of the world", I thought it said "at the center of the earth is the underworld.". I like my lyric better in this case. It also goes perfect with the lines before it.

Also, to the person that thought it was "we are the cries of the class of 13", I also always thought it said "we are the class, the class of 13" but after listening to it again with that in mind, it most certainly sounds like "we are the cries of the class of 13"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users