When I Come Around

J'net

I know, I know, it's taken me long enough to come around smile.gif. I apologize for the horrible lateness of this post, but my internet access has been horribly inconsistent while traveling. Hopefully this time has been eventful enough that no one's sitting around bored and waiting for me.

This week's Song of the Week is When I Come Around. Please use this thread to discuss your thoughts and feelings about the song.

Green Day's first album on a major label, Dookie, was produced by Rob Cavallo and Green Day. It was released on February 1, 1994. Dookie reached number 2 on the charts and has gone platinum ten times. The single, When I Come Around, reached number 1 on the charts.

I love this song – the bouncy feeling, the unabashed sleaziness of some of the lyrics, the sound in general. It's high on my list of favorites.

Now I have a question for everyone who's shared this song with me at recent shows: What's my favorite line? Did anyone notice and can remember? If you're observant at all, you should know by now. If you haven't been with me, go ahead and try to guess.

Sorry I couldn't do a very thorough search for videos in my current situation, but here are two for you to enjoy (be sure you notice the changed lyrics in the second one).

When I Come Around Lyrics

I heard you crying loud,

All the way across town.

You've been searching for that someone,

And it's me out on the prowl -

As you sit around feeling sorry for yourself.

Don't get lonely now.

Dry your whining eyes.

I'm just roaming for the moment

Sleazin' my back yard so don't get so uptight

You been thinking about ditching me.

No time to search the world around

Cause you know where I'll be found

When I come around.

I heard it all before

So don't knock down my door.

I'm a loser and a user so I don't need no accuser

To try and slag me down because I know you're right.

So go do what you like.

Make sure you do it wise.

You may find out that your self doubt means nothing

Was ever there.

You can't go forcing something if it's just not right.

No time to search the world around

Cause you know where I'll be found

When I come around

When I come around <repeat multiple times>

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can nominate songs for discussion as Song of the Week in the Song Discussions thread, which contains links to each previous Song of the Week from 9/14/2009 forward in its original post.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love this song a lot!! One of the best off Dookie. I didnt realise the first few times i saw the video that Jason White was in there :P Awesome song and video :wub:

One of the Green Day's classics. I don't listen to it too often but it's definitely one of their best, in my opinion.

My favourite lines are:

I'm a loser and a user so I don't need no accuser

To try and slag me down because I know you're right.

Whenever I hear that song, I just imagine people trying to mosh to it. :lol:

Good choice this week. It's one of my favorites off of Dookie.

i love this so much but i want someone to tell me what it means please pm me if you the meaning for this great song :)

Yay When I come around :wub: It was one of the first GD songs that I knew and that I loved...I listened to it SO much - so much that I started to skip this song when it came on after some time...xD But I have to say that I finally figured out all the lyrics like a month ago O:-) Idk, I just never read them carefully :lol:

And I love hearing this song live so much! It was one of the best moments of the show for me when Billie sang "So go do what you like and do it just like Mike" <3

I wasn't at a show with you J'net (unfortunately =( ) but maybe this could be your favorite line ;) ?

So go do what you like.

Make sure you do it wise.

When the played this song at Marlay Park in Dublin he sang "so go do what you like. And go have sex with Mike! You may find out that your self-doubt means nothing was ever there. You can go forcing it in if its just not right!" :P

Billie kept singing but he was laughing the whole way through the next line and Mike was laughing his head off too

it's one of my favorite off the album!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wub: :wub: :wub: ohh..i've been listening to this one 24/7 <33

the first green day song i put in my mp3 player.... awwwwwwwwwwwwww :wub: I love it!

Make sure you do it wise is a good line. I''m having sex with Mike at Wembley, even better :D

Also, how now brown cow :happy:

What an awesome choice. Classic song :)

And I don't know about you J'Net, but my favorite line: "You may find out that your self-doubt means nothing was ever there, you can't go forcing something if it's just not right."

Now I have a question for everyone who’s shared this song with me at recent shows: What’s my favorite line? Did anyone notice and can remember? If you’re observant at all, you should know by now. If you haven’t been with me, go ahead and try to guess.

ooooh nothing goes over and i have sex with mike - that was soo awesome :D

i was watching mike at that moment - and he was laughing his ass off so hard :lol:

the song got even more awesome now :wub:

but in general - there isn't a song you can jump and dance on better then thisone! i love it so much live.

I love this song :) My favorite line would have to be "so go do what you like/ make sure you do it wise/ you may find out that your self doubt means nothing was ever there/ you can't go forcing something if it's just not right"

I love the sound and the message of this song, definitely one of my favorites :D

The beginning of the song always gives me goose bumps, I love it so much. Not my favorite off Dookie, but still :wub:

Favorite lines? Uhm, either You may find out that your self-doubt means nothing was ever there or You can't go forcing something if it's just not right.

My favourite song ever. The whole second verse is my favourite part. It's all quite "simple" but brilliant all the same. I just love it a tiny bit more than all the other songs. :wub:

I'm so glad they played it on all the shows I went to!

Even Razorbax played it so damn great at their gig.

:D

This week's Song of the Week is When I Come Around. Please use this thread to discuss your thoughts and feelings about the song.

The elements of the crying, whining girl that you can hear "all the way across town" and Billie as the self-loathing, sleazeball narrator who uses (or more accurately, already used) the opportunity to take advantage of her have echoes of the storyline from The Who's "A Quick One While He's Away." Compare:

I heard you crying loud,

All the way across town.

and

Don't get lonely now.

Dry your whining eyes.

with:

Your town is very famous for the little girl

Whose crying can be heard all around the world

and also:

with:

I know why you feel blue . . .

So let's have a smile for an old engine driver

Just something to think about that leaped out at me as I was reading the lyrics. There's more to the song than just this parallel, and I'll post more later.

Second best song of my favorite album of all the time <3.

THANK YOU! I love When I Come Around, the first Green Day song I heard, and for that reason one of my all time favorite Green Day songs :wub:

Love this especially live. One of my favourite songs to play on guitar, even though its so simple.

All 3 shows I saw them at last week Billie changed the lyric "make sure you do it right" to "i'm having sex with mike". Had my laughing every time :P

The elements of the crying, whining girl that you can hear "all the way across town" and Billie as the self-loathing, sleazeball narrator who uses (or more accurately, already used) the opportunity to take advantage of her have echoes of the storyline from The Who's "A Quick One While He's Away." Compare:

I heard you crying loud,

All the way across town.

and

Don't get lonely now.

Dry your whining eyes.

with:

Your town is very famous for the little girl

Whose crying can be heard all around the world

and also:

with:

I know why you feel blue . . .

So let's have a smile for an old engine driver

Just something to think about that leaped out at me as I was reading the lyrics. There's more to the song than just this parallel, and I'll post more later.

wow i never noticed that! after reading what you wrote though im mad i didnt notice!

anyways my first green day song :wub:

I've grown to really love this song over the past couple months. :wub:

I love this song live, I hope they play it in Detroit in August!

Archived