Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

2 days left to enter photography contest

We're having a photography contest where you guys send in a photo that describes what that time of year means to you.

Photo

American Idiot Movie is now IN DEVELOPMENT

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1533 replies to this topic

crock6000

crock6000
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,721 posts
  • Joined Aug 26, 2009
  • 821 rep

POPULAR

Ok, per IMDBpro and some industry insiders I know, this movie is being made and has moved from OPTIONED to IN DEVELOPMENT. This is a major distinction, so you know. The option meant that Playtone purchased the option (meaning they paid money to the parties that be for the right to make it). If it's in development, as I stated before, Universal Pictures has the first right of passage with Playtone properties and I happen to know for a fact that the development people at Universal were HIGHLY interested which means most likely major distribution.

Unfortunately, the projected release date has been pushed to 2013 (almost a decade after the release of AI) but I told you the 2011 date would change. The 2013 date is probably pretty close, give or take a year.

It's SUCH AN EARLY stage of development that what is happening right now is the producers are finding all the right pieces of the puzzle to put together. Making a movie is one of the hardest form of any art because it is a collaborative effort like no other. One bad link in the chain and it's crap. The good news is Tom Hanks is actually listed as producer which is not necessarily the case on a Playtone property. What this means is that pretty much any director, DP, actors, and other crew is going to be easy pickings.

I will post now the updated IMDBpro info. Interestingly enough, the NEWS section of IMDBpro links of course point to the success of AI on Broadway (as I also stated, the success or not of AI was/is married to the probability of this movie being made).

From IMDBpro (if desired, tell me what links you want to see, and I'll post them).

IN DEVELOPMENT

Santa Monica, CA :
PO Box 7340
Santa Monica, CA 90406
USA
Phn: REMOVED
Production Co: Playtone Productions more Ľ
Genre: Drama / Musical more Ľ
Summary: The music of Green Day weaves in and out of a story about three friends who grew up together in the same small town. more Ľ
Source Material: Play
Industry News:
'Fela!,' La Cage' top Tony noms (From The Hollywood Reporter. 4 May 2010, 9:08 AM, PDT)
'Fela!,' 'La Cage' Lead Tony Nominations with 11 Each (From Backstage. 4 May 2010, 3:03 AM, PDT)
News:
(74 articles)
Windman: 'Memphis' victory isn't a done deal at Tonys (From Gold Derby. 9 May 2010, 7:46 AM, PDT)
Jimmy Fallon celebrates Rolling Stones with performances by Green Day, Phish (From Hollywoodnews.com. 6 May 2010, 3:15 PM, PDT)
MOVIEmeterô

Current rank: 14,931
Click graph for more detail
Add to MyMovies

Filmmakers: Billie Joe Armstrong - Writer (creator), Gary Goetzman - Producer, Tom Hanks - Producer more Ľ

Links: 1 other site

IN DEVELOPMENT
The status was last updated on 23 March 2010.
Since this project is categorized as being in development, the data is subject to change or could be removed completely.
  • LetItBeHappy, GDM, greendaytodeathandback and 2 others like this

ParadoxAndPlaid

ParadoxAndPlaid
  • 'cuz Iím frustrated anyway!'

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,040 posts
  • Joined Jul 30, 2009
  • 224 rep
Interesting! but I'm still not sure I feel about a movie.
  • Flying penguins likes this

TAG

TAG
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,364 posts
  • Joined Aug 01, 2009
  • 147 rep
:sherlock:
  • sharika and ScatteredPictures like this

Velocity

Velocity
  • The Diamond Church Street Choir

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,451 posts
  • Joined Feb 28, 2007
  • 764 rep
Sweet! :woot:
I just hope they add more to the script to make the story clearer for those who don't know all the lyrics to the songs.
  • ianries likes this

Joy of suburbia.

Joy of suburbia.
  • Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica.

• 3,544 posts
  • Joined Jul 24, 2008
  • 131 rep
very, very, very interesting. :sherlock:

Moffie

Moffie
  • "You like to fuck the alienation."

• 4,708 posts
  • Joined Feb 12, 2010
  • 250 rep
You know what? If it has to take 3 or so years to make it great then by all means, they can take their fucking time. I just hope they don't make it like Tommy and make it a 2 hour acid trip. Plots are good, too.

I knew Tom Hanks was a punk! :banana: Love it.
  • Demon!Dean likes this

ChelseaWhatsername

ChelseaWhatsername
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,647 posts
  • Joined Jan 28, 2010
  • 48 rep
This is an excellent idea for the people who can't get the money to see the musical....
Ohhhh, if this turns out, I'll be so fucking happy! :woot:

HoneyDo666

HoneyDo666
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,837 posts
  • Joined Oct 18, 2006
  • 10 rep
So exciting! Can't wait to see it win some Oscars!

ParadoxAndPlaid

ParadoxAndPlaid
  • 'cuz Iím frustrated anyway!'

• 3,040 posts
  • Joined Jul 30, 2009
  • 224 rep

Sweet! http://www.greendaycommunity.org/Forum/p...
I just hope they add more to the script to make the story clearer for those who don't know all the lyrics to the songs.

I worry about that, other musical movies I've seen were ruined by adding more dialogue. Like Rent. they added so much extra dialogue to explain the situations it just got annoying.

BIBARAGURORIA

BIBARAGURORIA
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,481 posts
  • Joined Aug 23, 2009
  • 38 rep
I'm not sure how I feel about this. On one hand, they could do a wonderful job and it would kick total ass. On the other hand, they could totally ruin it and it would suck harder than Meet the Spartans. I will always find a way to make fun of that movie.

Tom Hanks is awesome, though, so I have high-ish hopes.
  • dumb shiny bitch and Demon!Dean like this

SexyBIbiatch

SexyBIbiatch
  • Brat

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • Joined Dec 12, 2009
  • 1 rep
good but I dont know how I feel with another musical movie on the way. If it was just drama, I would give it more chance to like it.

Sanah

Sanah
  • Best Thing In Town

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,512 posts
  • Joined Oct 27, 2006
  • 65 rep
This excites me.
SOFUCKINGMUCHMAN <3

Prisca

Prisca
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,791 posts
  • Joined Jan 27, 2009
  • 40 rep
This will be interesting. I'm glad Tom Hanks will be a producer :) I have faith in that man.

Joy of suburbia.

Joy of suburbia.
  • Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica.

• 3,544 posts
  • Joined Jul 24, 2008
  • 131 rep

I worry about that, other musical movies I've seen were ruined by adding more dialogue. Like Rent. they added so much extra dialogue to explain the situations it just got annoying.

YES!!! I totally agree. Rent was so beautiful and classic as a play. When they did the movie, it was just too much. and they cut some songs because it wouldn't fit it in the movie and that some people wouldn't understand what was going on and that it made the movie longer.

I really hope that this doesn't happen to American Idiot.

norcalgreendayfan

norcalgreendayfan
  • SAN JOSE BITCHES

• 14,663 posts
  • Joined Apr 29, 2009
  • 438 rep
Sweet Thats pretty cool, I would love to see the movie version on AI

Advertising

Andrick

Andrick
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,643 posts
  • Joined Mar 12, 2006
  • 0 rep
Cool, should be interesting to see the movie version.

Moffie

Moffie
  • "You like to fuck the alienation."

• 4,708 posts
  • Joined Feb 12, 2010
  • 250 rep

YES!!! I totally agree. Rent was so beautiful and classic as a play. When they did the movie, it was just too much. and they cut some songs because it wouldn't fit it in the movie and that some people wouldn't understand what was going on and that it made the movie longer.

I really hope that this doesn't happen to American Idiot.

I will never forgive Columbus for cutting "Contact." /off-topic

Imagine the cast for this... :happy:

Sharmellow

Sharmellow
  • The Finger Fucker

• 9,363 posts
  • Joined Mar 11, 2007
  • 29 rep
Hmm. I see.

watsername182

watsername182
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 3,357 posts
  • Joined Oct 11, 2006
  • 22 rep
Wow, I didn't really think it would go ahead. I don't know how to feel about this.
I mean, Billie Joe seemed a bit hesitant about a movie being made during that Fuse interview with John Gallagher Jr. :unsure:

Supermodel*Robot

Supermodel*Robot
  • Peacemaker

• 4,545 posts
  • Joined Jul 22, 2006
  • 41 rep
Exciting...but how reliable is that source?
mmm. :ermm:

gdpony

gdpony
  • Anna Molly

• 10,591 posts
  • Joined Oct 10, 2009
  • 1,240 rep
I think this is excellent news! :woot:

I really support the idea of a musical! .. this is gonna be great, I dont care what anyone says, mamma mia was great, and Im not an abba fan! So a green day musical would kick ass!

also imagine how many people got to watch the musical, if there's a movie, it would be even more succesful, cause we would all have a chance to see it! :D...

I dont mind waiting 3 more years... I just hope it gets well done :happy:

Sharmellow

Sharmellow
  • The Finger Fucker

• 9,363 posts
  • Joined Mar 11, 2007
  • 29 rep

mmm. http://www.greendaycommunity.org/Forum/p...

Exactly my thoughts. I mean IMDB is reliable most of the time, but I'm still slightly skeptical about all this.

Supermodel*Robot

Supermodel*Robot
  • Peacemaker

• 4,545 posts
  • Joined Jul 22, 2006
  • 41 rep
the only negative I see in an AI movie, is people thinking they're milking this album for all it's worth. I mean...how relevant will everyone find it ten years after the fact? I dunno.
  • littlegirl-of-suburbia likes this

BIBARAGURORIA

BIBARAGURORIA
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,481 posts
  • Joined Aug 23, 2009
  • 38 rep

the only negative I see in an AI movie, is people thinking they're milking this album for all it's worth. I mean...how relevant will everyone find it ten years after the fact? I dunno.

I can see how people would think that. Hell, sometimes I think that's what they're doing, myself. I mean, the promotion for 21CB sucked ass, while AI's being converted to just about every possible media form available. What's next, a book? A TV show? A comic?

I don't know what to make of it.

crock6000

crock6000
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,721 posts
  • Joined Aug 26, 2009
  • 821 rep

mmm. http://www.greendaycommunity.org/Forum/p...

Ummm, the source is IMDBpro, the industry standard. I don't know if that was a joke but that was cut and pasted from IMDB and there really is not much of a better source.

Just to clear something up, just because it is in development doesn't mean that it is 100% being made. Probably went from about 50/50 to about 90%.

As for Billie Joe, (and to the poster that said Billie didn't seem so sure about the movie) he no longer has the right to decline Playtone to NOT make the movie if they so desire. That's what they option is. If Playtone wants to make the movie, they will, and since it's in development, it looks like it will.

The next stage from "in development" is "in production" which will be after it is fully casted, crew is set, and they are on set so there are many stages of "in development" and I'll keep you guys informed as to where they are.

Also, I would refrain from making assumptions about what the movie will be. The log line is pretty vague which leads me to believe there is no script or just an outline done.

Jaddedkitten

Jaddedkitten
  • Little One

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Joined May 17, 2008
  • 35 rep
Well that suckz ballz cause da world is ending in 1012 :ninja: , I guess AI the movie just wasn't meant 2b :cry:

BIBARAGURORIA

BIBARAGURORIA
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,481 posts
  • Joined Aug 23, 2009
  • 38 rep

Well that suckz ballz cause da world is ending in 1012 http://www.greendaycommunity.org/Forum/p... , I guess AI the movie just wasn't meant 2b http://www.greendaycommunity.org/Forum/p...

If the world was supposed to end in 1012, we wouldn't be here right now.

And I sincerely hope you're joking.

crock6000

crock6000
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,721 posts
  • Joined Aug 26, 2009
  • 821 rep

Exactly my thoughts. I mean IMDB is reliable most of the time, but I'm still slightly skeptical about all this.

Lol, not to beat a horse I just killed and not to sound like an ass but you people should speak in the school you're in, cause you're speaking out of school.

IMDB is not reliable "most of the time". IMDB and especially IMDBpro is the INDUSTRY STANDARD for movie info.

This is what the agents, managers, actors, and every other profession in the movie biz turns and pays for the information it provides. It's not a source, it's an institution.

Sharmellow

Sharmellow
  • The Finger Fucker

• 9,363 posts
  • Joined Mar 11, 2007
  • 29 rep

Lol, not to beat a horse I just killed and not to sound like an ass but you people should speak in the school you're in, cause you're speaking out of school.

IMDB is not reliable "most of the time". IMDB and especially IMDBpro is the INDUSTRY STANDARD for movie info.

This is what the agents, managers, actors, and every other profession in the movie biz turns and pays for the information it provides. It's not a source, it's an institution.

First off, that bold highlight I did didn't make much sense. And secondly, chill buddy. No need to get your panties or briefs in your case, all tied up in a knot. Sorry that some of us here aren't that informative about this kind of shit. I was just throwing in my two cents about this.

And for all we know, there may be complications in the future and the movie may not end up being released, just like HLAHG. If this movie does end up getting made, then awesome, I'll buy a copy and/or watch it at the theatres.

crock6000

crock6000
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,721 posts
  • Joined Aug 26, 2009
  • 821 rep

First off, that bold highlight I did didn't make much sense. And secondly, chill buddy. No need to get your panties or briefs in your case, all tied up in a knot. Sorry that some of us here aren't that informative about this kind of shit. I was just throwing in my two cents about this.

And for all we know, there may be complications in the future and the movie may not end up being released, just like HLAHG. If this movie does end up getting made, then awesome, I'll buy a copy and/or watch it at the theatres.

I FUCKING HATE when people say things like "relax, or don't get your panties in a bunch" which they weren't, I was just informing you what it is so you won't have to be ignorant anymore.

Yeah, the movie might not be made but typing something like "How good is the source" to IMDB is just ridiculous. Indeed, if you read the OP, it says, from IMDB that "It can be completely removed" but once a movie is in development (one of this size), its pretty much BEING made. To cancel now, would be lost money. There is already an Executive Producer (which means plenty of money is already in).

I usually refrain from speaking unless I know about something, you should practice the same. IMDB information is submitted by the companies/agencies/production companies and what have you, and is not a news source.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users