Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing topics, give reputation to other members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Check out Fan of the Week JardyOfSuburbia. He gets a second week since GDC was down for most of last week. Sorry, Jardy!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

American Idiot Movie is now IN DEVELOPMENT

1,534 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Interesting! but I'm still not sure I feel about a movie.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

:sherlock:
2 people like this

Posted · Report post

Sweet! :woot:

I just hope they add more to the script to make the story clearer for those who don't know all the lyrics to the songs.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

very, very, very interesting. :sherlock:

Posted · Report post

You know what? If it has to take 3 or so years to make it great then by all means, they can take their fucking time. I just hope they don't make it like Tommy and make it a 2 hour acid trip. Plots are good, too.

I knew Tom Hanks was a punk! :banana: Love it.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

This is an excellent idea for the people who can't get the money to see the musical....

Ohhhh, if this turns out, I'll be so fucking happy! :woot:

Posted · Report post

So exciting! Can't wait to see it win some Oscars!

Posted · Report post

Sweet! :woot:

I just hope they add more to the script to make the story clearer for those who don't know all the lyrics to the songs.

I worry about that, other musical movies I've seen were ruined by adding more dialogue. Like Rent. they added so much extra dialogue to explain the situations it just got annoying.

Posted · Report post

I'm not sure how I feel about this. On one hand, they could do a wonderful job and it would kick total ass. On the other hand, they could totally ruin it and it would suck harder than Meet the Spartans. I will always find a way to make fun of that movie.

Tom Hanks is awesome, though, so I have high-ish hopes.

2 people like this

Posted · Report post

good but I dont know how I feel with another musical movie on the way. If it was just drama, I would give it more chance to like it.

Posted · Report post

This excites me.

SOFUCKINGMUCHMAN <3

Posted · Report post

This will be interesting. I'm glad Tom Hanks will be a producer :) I have faith in that man.

Posted · Report post

I worry about that, other musical movies I've seen were ruined by adding more dialogue. Like Rent. they added so much extra dialogue to explain the situations it just got annoying.

YES!!! I totally agree. Rent was so beautiful and classic as a play. When they did the movie, it was just too much. and they cut some songs because it wouldn't fit it in the movie and that some people wouldn't understand what was going on and that it made the movie longer.

I really hope that this doesn't happen to American Idiot.

Posted · Report post

Sweet Thats pretty cool, I would love to see the movie version on AI

Posted · Report post

Cool, should be interesting to see the movie version.

Posted · Report post

YES!!! I totally agree. Rent was so beautiful and classic as a play. When they did the movie, it was just too much. and they cut some songs because it wouldn't fit it in the movie and that some people wouldn't understand what was going on and that it made the movie longer.

I really hope that this doesn't happen to American Idiot.

I will never forgive Columbus for cutting "Contact." /off-topic

Imagine the cast for this... :happy:

Posted · Report post

Hmm. I see.

Posted · Report post

Wow, I didn't really think it would go ahead. I don't know how to feel about this.

I mean, Billie Joe seemed a bit hesitant about a movie being made during that Fuse interview with John Gallagher Jr. :unsure:

Posted · Report post

Exciting...but how reliable is that source?

mmm. :ermm:

Posted · Report post

I think this is excellent news! :woot:

I really support the idea of a musical! .. this is gonna be great, I dont care what anyone says, mamma mia was great, and Im not an abba fan! So a green day musical would kick ass!

also imagine how many people got to watch the musical, if there's a movie, it would be even more succesful, cause we would all have a chance to see it! :D...

I dont mind waiting 3 more years... I just hope it gets well done :happy:

Posted · Report post

Exactly my thoughts. I mean IMDB is reliable most of the time, but I'm still slightly skeptical about all this.

Posted · Report post

the only negative I see in an AI movie, is people thinking they're milking this album for all it's worth. I mean...how relevant will everyone find it ten years after the fact? I dunno.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

the only negative I see in an AI movie, is people thinking they're milking this album for all it's worth. I mean...how relevant will everyone find it ten years after the fact? I dunno.

I can see how people would think that. Hell, sometimes I think that's what they're doing, myself. I mean, the promotion for 21CB sucked ass, while AI's being converted to just about every possible media form available. What's next, a book? A TV show? A comic?

I don't know what to make of it.

Posted · Report post

Ummm, the source is IMDBpro, the industry standard. I don't know if that was a joke but that was cut and pasted from IMDB and there really is not much of a better source.

Just to clear something up, just because it is in development doesn't mean that it is 100% being made. Probably went from about 50/50 to about 90%.

As for Billie Joe, (and to the poster that said Billie didn't seem so sure about the movie) he no longer has the right to decline Playtone to NOT make the movie if they so desire. That's what they option is. If Playtone wants to make the movie, they will, and since it's in development, it looks like it will.

The next stage from "in development" is "in production" which will be after it is fully casted, crew is set, and they are on set so there are many stages of "in development" and I'll keep you guys informed as to where they are.

Also, I would refrain from making assumptions about what the movie will be. The log line is pretty vague which leads me to believe there is no script or just an outline done.