American Idiot

captain peroxide

i woke up this morning and decided to listen to the entire AI album. this album has changed my life in so many ways. lyrics are GENIUS. everytime im blown away

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This was my first green day album. but i was a fan before that when my friend gave me a CD with holiday on it

i spent months loving that song, and catching parts of BOBD on the radio.

didnt know just about any songs, but i knew almost every fact of GDA regardless.

anyway, there was a point where, up until a few months ago, i couldnt fall asleep unless it was to this record.

sometimes i feel that i have an emotional attachment to this album because of its storyline, more than the songs themselves

but little gems such as Letterbomb and Extraordinary Girl have always been my favorites.

hah, i actually hate admitting this, but i was such a stupid kid.

when i got the album, i didnt like listening to Whatshername & Extraordinary Girl because they werent like Holiday

now almost 5 years later, i thank god they arent. i was just a dumb kid, i warmed up to them quickly enough though.

ALSO i just have to say, She's A Rebel is, although repedative if you listen to it too much, a very catchy song <3

(and the first song i learned on bass....or was that st.jimmy?...)

American Idiot introduced me to Green Day so I'll love it forever.

But now days it's hard for me to listen to it because it brings back so many older memories and I get all nostalgic. Which isn't always a bad thing, There's just no other record that I have an emotional attachment to like American Idiot. It's really interesting because I think this was the first album that really spoke to me and introduced me to a whole other world of music when I was 14 and clueless. It was a turning point in my life as cliche as that sounds, it's true.

Listening to this album is an emotional experience for me every time. Whatsername, Letterbomb and JOS get to me in particular.

My first Green Day album.

I remember I used to play it over and over again when I went for long car rides. American Idiot definitely has a huge chunk of my heart.

I remember the first time I listened to American Idiot as an album. It was amazing.

"I'm the son of rage and love, the Jesus of suburbia."

"well there is nothing wrong with me, this is how I'm supposed to be, In a land of make believe that don't believe in me"

"To live and not to breath is to die In tragedy."

"I don't feel any shame I won't apologize, for there ain't no where you can go. Running away from pain when you've been victimized, tales from

another broken home."

"the rage and love the story of my life."

"a teenage assasin executing some fun..."

"what's in love is now in debt on your birth certificate so strike the fucking match to light this fuse."

"it's not over til your underground, it's not over before it's too late.

"This city's burnin, it's not my burden."

" and in the darkest night, if my memory serves I'll never turn back time, forgetting

you but not the time.

American idiot: the album that saved my pathetic life and made it into something.

Jesus Of fucking Suburbia. :wub::wub:

As much as everyone tries, there are no words that can describe the impact that song has done to so many fucking kids. I get teary eyed EVERY TIME I listen to that song whether it'd be live or just in my car because it represents and stands for what I once stood for and still stand for. The connection I have with this song can never be measured and no matter how hard I try not to, will always move me to tears. The countless of people who I have met who have immortalized the concepts from that single song, from fucking RAGE and LOVEwith tattoos (including myself). This song will always hold true in my heart and I fucking love knowing that I am not the only on who feels that way<3 it is a masterpiece to say the least.

Holiday was the first green day song I heard :wub:

and how can you hate extraordinary girl? D: i mean... Those lyrics are so powerful... "Somedays he feels like dying, somedays is not worth trying, now that they both are finding, she gets so sick of crying" :wub:

i find it whiny. i never liked the beginning and that just spilled over in the song for me. i just kinda want them both to shut up and stop crying...but idk...cause the other songs on AI when they aren't exactly all pixie dust and rainbows are amazing to me...

i think the song just rubs me the wrong way :ermm:

Ahhh American Idiot my fav album I love everything about it how it sounds how it smells.

Guest dar89ren

*sigh*

American Idiot, by far my favourite album of all-time, by ANY artist, and in my opinion the best album recorded in the last 20 years...

Every song is so powerful, so freaking amazing, and every time I try to say "this is my favourite song", I always think of another song that I "like more than that one", and then I think of another song that I "like more than that other one", and it keeps going and going in this circle until I'm back where I started... The whole album just means so much to me, I listen to it every day, no matter what, without fail.

This is gonna be a little long... XD

1. American Idiot, along with all of the other singles from the album, is really under-appreciated by a lot of hardcore Green Day fans, and it makes me so sad... You can be American, Canadian, English, German, whatever, you'll always be able to connect with the anger and rage towards the political movement of the mid-2000s in the United States.

"Welcome to a new kind of tension, all across the alien nation" (said 'alienation') is simply genius. One of the greatest plays on words I've ever heard, and it's totally unpredictable.

2. Jesus of Suburbia... Jesus of Suburbia. Do you need to say ANYTHING else about the song? This song IS being a teenager. It doesn't describe our deepest and most intense feelings, is IS every unstable emotion we've ever experienced. It moves me in such a way only other Green Day fans can understand. When someone asks me, 'what's so special about Jesus of Suburbia?" all I can do is smile... It's impossible to describe. If you can't experience the song like we can, you'll never understand it.

My favourite line from JoS? Everything. Every word, every syllable, every letter is absolutely perfect.

3. Holiday, to me, is like an extension of the message we get from American Idiot, but instead of simply stating the problem, we're finally starting to do something about it. Holiday is where the revolution of American Idiot really begins.

The chorus is absolutely beautiful, one of the best on the album... "I beg to dream and differ from the hollow lies. This is the dawning of the rest of our lives, on holiday"

4. Boulevard of Broken Dreams. It's when I doubt myself. When there is no crutch for this 'dear thing', I turn to Billie, Tre, Mike and BoBD. The guitar solo is just so inspirational, and it sends chills down my spine every time I hear it. My heart breaks a little every time I hear the song on the radio though. Cut to pieces and censored almost beyond recognition, BoBD's beauty deserves so much better. It holds such a wonderful place in my heart...

"Where the city sleeps and I'm the only one and I walk alone." The city sleeps in the suburbs, and you're there. Awake, wondering what the hell you're going to do with your life.

5. Are We the Waiting feels like such an anthem. Green Day's fans sing the song, it's truly wonderful.

I want to scream back at Billie Joe every time I hear "and screaming" blasting through my headphones, it's such an empowering moment.

6. St. Jimmy is that rebellious-punk-motherfucker in all of us. We don't give a shit about what you think is right or wrong, weird or normal, fair or unfair... Everything that is deemed 'politically correct' means dick all when you listen to this song.

"It's St. Jimmy, and that's my name. And don't wear it out!"

7. Give Me Novocaine is that little break we all need. In no way is it a winding down of the emotions, but it's a softer way of delivering it after we all lose our voices screaming the first six songs off the album. My baby brother has been singing this song since he was three years old, and it always reminds me of him :) It's one of the first times in the album that I start smiling, even if it isn't the happiest of songs, I attribute happy thoughts to it.

Even though the line "give me a long kiss goodnight and everything will be alright" gets me a little down from losing someone really important to me, it'll always remind me of em, and make me smile in a second when I think back about all the great times we had.

8. She's a Rebel makes me think of that same person. My own Whatsername. That mysterious, amazing girl who was just fresh, so new. The song is part of the small handful of songs that I didn't really appreciate when I first got my hands on the album, but the more I hear it the more I love it.

"She brings this liberation that I just can't define". Exactly how I felt way back when.

9. Extraordinary Girl... I can understand why they threw it together with She's a Rebel on the special editions of the CD. It's continuing the same story from the last song, but it's showing the beginning of that unraveling that so many of us have gone through. You're still loving what you have, but you know the end is getting near. Songs 7 through 9 all seem to get knocked on a bit more than others by non-fans, and I can't for the life of me figure out why.

"Some days he feels like dying, she gets so sick of crying" sums it up perfectly.

10. Letterbomb is a song that almost everyone ignored in 2004. It keeps getting better with time though, doesn't it? The lyrics are just so powerful and amazing.

I can never get over the verse "You're not the Jesus of Suburbia. The St. Jimmy is a figment of your father's rage and your mother's love. Made me the idiot America" It ties the entire album together. Absolutely magnificently written, there are very few song lyrics that are nearly as poetic as these...

11. Wake Me Up When September Ends is yet another of those singles that people seem to throw aside because of its mainstream popularity. The music video for this song (and every other video from this album) is just so beautiful and heartbreaking at the same time. If they decided to make the intro last 8 minutes I'd never have a problem with it, it's one of the prettiest songs I've ever heard, start to finish, and I'm not ashamed to say it makes my eyes water from time to time.

"As my memory rests but never forgets what I lost, wake me up when September ends." Billie's writing it to his dad, and I can understand his feelings so well that it hurts me every time I hear it. But it's another one of those songs that I attribute to fond memories, even if the loss in itself is sad...

12. Homecoming is such an epic track. Just like JoS, it has so many transitions, so many different feelings, it's that last few inversions of the roller coaster ride that is American Idiot. It's 9 minutes and 18 seconds that feel like 30 seconds...

I absolutely love the verse that goes "somebody get me out of here. Anybody get me out of here. Somebody get me out of here. Get me the fuck right out of here!"

13. Whatsername is such a fantastic ending. Another one of those songs that I didn't appreciate enough at first, but I just fall more and more in love with it every day. Of course, it helps that it's my boss' favourite song and I hear it in the office at least once a day :P

"I made a point to burn all of the photographs." I'm sure we've all had times where we felt like doing this. It just culminates the fantastic experience that is American Idiot.

This album means so damn much to me, ahaha, I don't understand how I ever could have listened to music before hearing this album. It's by far my favourite album, by any band, and always will be. Wow, that was a LONG post... If you managed to survive through it all, props :P

To sum it up... American Idiot = <3

it's my favorite album and the best song is Boulevard of Broken Dreams

I've always agreed with the definitions ''rock opera'' masterpiece'' ''best album of teh decade'' etc etc..I TOTALLY LOVE IT and that's all...

In AI there's also one ov my fav songs ever ''give me novacaine''...it's a really masterpiece...it's so deep...painful...it hurts and makes me cry so often...when I heard it live I lost all my voice singing it...my soul trembles whan I listen to this song...

I really couldn't stand Give Me Novacaine

How could you ? :o:woot: i love that song !

i also do love BOBD, American Idiot and definitely Holiday :lol: i'm feeling so good listening that song :woot:

How could you ? :o:woot: i love that song !

i also do love BOBD, American Idiot and definitely Holiday :lol: i'm feeling so good listening that song :woot:

Ah agreed, GMN is amazing.

The whole album has me at a loss for words. It proves that a band actually CAN make it huge more than once in its career if it really really works. Got me into Green Day and changed my life :)

Words cannot describe this album. It's what got me into Green Day and the songs never get old for me. It's definitely different from their other albums, but in a great way. All the songs on this album are just so amazing, i could listen to it for the rest of my life.

Edit: Page own.

This was the first album that I heard & bought by Green Day & I honestly can't be more thankful for it.

This was the album I listened to constantly while I was going through a rough patch in my life & eventhough this may not be my favourite album, or even one I listen to often, a lot of the songs on it have their own, different meaning to me and can describe parts in my life so well.

I deeply thank Green Day for making this album. :wub:

I have a new favorite song like very week! Right now it's Letterbomb but Homecoming is pretty awesome as well. aaah I can't decide.

The only songs I haven't really gotten into are She's a Rebel and Extraordinary Girl. They are not really 'special' or something, idk..

And listening to WMUWSE makes me so freakin sad every time.

I love American Idiot :wub:

I love all the songs of this album but especially Holiday, Jesus Of Suburbia, Whatsername and Wake Me Up When September Ends.

Right now I'm so addicted to this album again, I feel like I can listen to it for days on repeat :lol:

This album means so much to me, it may not be my favourite album but it really means so fucking much. The album was the first green day album i heard, and got me into green day, but some of the songs on there have got me through so very bad times, without this album i have no idea where i would be now, though i think i am 99% sure that i would be in a graveyard somewhere (yes it really did help me though some insanely bad times, a few of those times involved being suicidal). I love this album to bits but yeah its not my favourite though every song means something to me.

American Idiot-First song i heard which involved me staring at the TV going "Who. Is. THAT? *drool*"

JOS-my mum loves to sing this to me and my dad loves to quote it at people

Holiday-for some reason the memory of holiday always reminds of the day i bought International Superhits...probably cos the day i say the holiday video was the day i bought it!

BLVD-reminds me of seeing green day live for the first time...billie split his pants to song before and he came back on and said "I split my pants", then tied his shoelaces on stage and them asked "did anyone see my balls?" ahhhh good memories

are we the waiting/st jimmy-these songs saved me from myself

novacaine-reminds me of my mate and a guy she had a one night stand with called Jimmy

....yeah i can't be bothered explaining what the rest of the songs mean to me, but you get the idea... :D

and my fave song is Letterbomb (and its the most played on my ipod!)

BLVD-reminds me of seeing green day live for the first time...billie split his pants to song before and he came back on and said "I split my pants", then tied his shoelaces on stage and them asked "did anyone see my balls?" ahhhh good memories

:lol: is there a video for that lol XD

This is my least favorite album, but I do love it. Whenever I'm in that American Idiot mood, yanno? St. Jimmy always kicks ass.

Homecoming. Best of the best. You've got to love Mike's vocals. And, of course, Tre's. :)

Homecoming. Best of the best. You've got to love Mike's vocals. And, of course, Tre's. :)

Derp, how could I forget this? I love songs like this and American Eulogy. Mike/Tre singing is so cool.

This is my least favorite album, but I do love it. Whenever I'm in that American Idiot mood, yanno? St. Jimmy always kicks ass.

How even.. ?

Archived