American Idiot

captain peroxide

sometimes I think that it's weird how Whatsername ends the album, just because Homecoming is so epic and seems like such a good conclusion. but then again, Whatsername is a song about looking back on experiences, and it makes a lot of sense that it is the last song.

Sometimes I think that as well. I especially thought this when I saw the AI Musical. Homecoming just really brings everything together (especially in the musical), and it was kind of weird to have Whatsername after that. But as you said, Whatsername is one of those "looking back" songs, so it works well in the end. I absolutely adore Whatsername as a song though.

Remember, whatever/It seems like forever ago/Remember, whatever/It seems like forever ago/The regrets are useless in my mind/She's in my head, I must confess/The regrets are useless in my mind/She's in my head from so long ago//And in the darkest night/If my memory serves me right/I'll never turn back time/Forgetting you, but not the time

Those lines are probably my favorite part of the whole CD. I never even realized that Billie rhymed "time" with "time" until very recently, which admittedly kind of annoys me now, but I still love the song.

my mother stole my American Idiot CD so she can listen to it in the car. now she tells me that she lost it. OMG i wanted to punch her so bad! but AI is only like $10 now so its all good... but still.. :dry:

My dad took mine in the car and had it for forever and ended up breaking the case. I am still bitter but I still have a working disc so I guess I'm better off :lol:

Anyways, I listened to American Idiot twice today and it just really made me realize how much I love it. Just...everything. The lyrics, the music, the power behind some songs and the gentleness of others, just akldhf;oasasdkfjlas everything. As I said on tumblr earlier today, anyone who says AI sucks needs to have their ears checked.

Some more of my favorite lyrics are:

- You're not the Jesus of Suburbia/The St. Jimmy is a figment of/Your father's rage and your mother's love/Made me the idiot America

- It's not over till you're underground/It's not over before it's too late

- The Jesus of Suburbia is a lie

With the last one, I really don't know why I like it so much. Maybe because it reminds me of "The cake is a lie."

Lastly, I was wondering if anyone here really likes She's A Rebel? Like a lot? Because I do, and I don't know. It just seems like that song is very underrated. I mean, I know it's obviously technically not an amazing song, comparatively, but for some reason I really love it.

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lastly, I was wondering if anyone here really likes She's A Rebel? Like a lot? Because I do, and I don't know. It just seems like that song is very underrated. I mean, I know it's obviously technically not an amazing song, comparatively, but for some reason I really love it.

Ooh! Ooh! Me! I love 'She's a Rebel! :D

And it is pretty close to being an amazing song (if for some reason it's not already)

Thanks to this album Green Day was brought into my life. My favorite songs off of it are JOS, Homecoming, St. Jimmy and BOBD.

I bought my second copy of it yesterday, as my old one was played so frequently it got scratched. :happy: This is the album that brought me into Green Day. It will always have a place in my heart.

I love this album, maybe it's my favourite because it was my 1st GD CD and I got to know Green Day with the songs on it. I remember American Idiot was the first song I heard from Green Day when I was 11 or 12 and I fell in love with it. Then Boulevard of Broken Dreams came out and after listening to that song I became a GD fanatic. I started collecting posters, magazine articles and so on. And after 6 years I'm still a huge fan. :wub::) Anyway, what I really like about GD is that all of their songs are great, there aren't any songs I can't listen to because for example it's too slow or something. And one more thing that I like: they always tell their own opinion, they don't care what other people think about them and in my view it's cool. :)

I bought my second copy of it yesterday, as my old one was played so frequently it got scratched. :happy: This is the album that brought me into Green Day. It will always have a place in my heart.

Totally agree! :)

This album brought me to GD, so I just love it. It was first original album I ever bought :D and because of it I fell in love with Green Day. The songs means a lot for me, just love the story, it impress my life so much... :wub: Even for now it's not my best GD album, I still love it and it'll be always one of my favourite albums in my life.:)

album that got me into green day and introduced me into older stuff. basically my favorite album of all time :lol:

American Idiot is what made me like Green Day, if it wasn't for this album I wouldn't be posting on here today. I love American Idiot with all me heart and soul, every song one it is so amazing and words can't describe how much it means to me. My favorite off the album is either Whatsername or Letterbomb, it's also the greatest rock opera of all time!

American Idiot is one of my favorite albums of all time, second only to 1,039 SOSH. And even then, sometimes I prefer it (depends on my mood). The first Green Day song I really heard was Boulevard of Broken Dreams, then Wake Me Up When September Ends (although I hated it at first because I felt like I was "supposed" to). In 2007, I finally got the album and LOVED it. I was obsessed with it for a while. I bought a portable CD player so I could listen to it wherever I go. And I did. At home I'd listen to it in my room, and I'd bring it with me anywhere I could. The park, the car, the bus stop, the bus itself, while house hunting... everywhere. I remember one day I had it in my locker at school, and when I shut it, the wire from the headphones poked out. I had to rush to my next class and had no time to put it back in. I was so worried a teacher would see it and take it away, but no one did. Anyway, this album is just really special to me in a lot of ways. The songs are amazing. :wub:

I love all the songs on American Idiot! I mean I got tired of hearing Wake Me Up When September Ends and BLVD. of Broken Dreams cause they got overplayed too much! But i'm beginning to like them again since I'm not really hearing them alot now. :happy:

Alright, so I've been absolutely addicted to this album recently. I listened to it all the way through twice yesterday (Well aside from BOBD, because the radio killed that song so I don't listen to it as much anymore). She's A Rebel and Letterbomb have got to be two of my favorite Green Day songs. The lyrics "She's a symbol of resistance and she's holding on my heart like a handgrenade" and the scream/solo in Letterbomb just give me the chills whenever I hear them. When I first got this album at age 11, Letterbomb immediately became my favorite on the album. And it still is. I think that says something about how great that song is. Billie's songwriting on this album is simply amazing. Jesus of Suburbia might be my favorite song of all time lyrically.

Also, I was thinking and to me, American Idiot and Holiday seem somewhat out of place in the story? Am I the only one who thinks this?

American Idiot, Jesus of Suburbia, Boulevard of Broken Dreams, Holiday, Letterbomb, Whatsername, Homecoming <3 And of course all other songs, this is such a good record! The lyrics are brilliant, I just love to sing them whenever I can.

Honestly this was my first Green Day record and it's the one that made me fall in love with Green Day. This album, along with all their others, is filled to the brim with fantastic tracks. I love every song here, and there's no questioning that I know all the lyrics by heart. Same with other Green Day stuff, but this one is different. I could sing you the entire album without any instruments playing.

I think this is such an epic album. It has more of a punk edge to it then 21CB. Not that I don't like it. It is an awesome album but AI has more epic songs.

• 2 weeks later...

American Idiot and Holiday are in my top 5 Green Day songs and Jesus of Suburbia is really an epic song! Also Wake Me Up When September Ends, Homecoming, Whatsername, Give Me Novacaine and there are Letterbomb, St. Jimmy... well every song from AI is amazing and therefore the album AI is one of the best Green Day albums in my opinion.

Honestly this was my first Green Day record and it's the one that made me fall in love with Green Day. This album, along with all their others, is filled to the brim with fantastic tracks. I love every song here, and there's no questioning that I know all the lyrics by heart. Same with other Green Day stuff, but this one is different. I could sing you the entire album without any instruments playing.

I think this is such an epic album. It has more of a punk edge to it then 21CB. Not that I don't like it. It is an awesome album but AI has more epic songs

I agree with all of this. Ameircan Idiot is probaly one of, if not my favourite album ever <3

I was watching storytellers: American Idiot, and they were playing Extraordinary Girl but at the first they only played the drum beat and I thought it was going to be 'Know your enemy" anyway the point im trying to make here is that to me the drum beats at the beginning of those two songs sound similar amd I wanted to see if you guys hear it too or am I just losing my mind?

THIS ALBUM IS EPIC!!!!!

Fuller sound = Win

Rock Opera = Win

9 minute songs = Win

Double songs = Win

Whatsername @ the end = FAIL, it's a good song, I just think homecoming should be the last one. But it's growing on me.

Overall, this is my favourite album [along with warning].

Favourite Songs: Tales From Another Brocken Home [within Jesus of Suburbia], Holiday / Boulevard of Brocken Dreams, Letterbomb, WMUWSE, The Death of Saint Jimmy (triplets ftw) [within Homecoming] and pretty much everything else. :lol:

Archived