American Idiot

captain peroxide

This thread is for discussion of American Idiot, both the album as a whole and all the individual songs as well.

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i love this album, it brought me green day :D i love it all, every song... cant fault it. :happy:

Same here, there isn't a song I don't like on this album.

When it came out, I really couldn't stand Give Me Novacaine, but now it's probably one of my favorite.

Favorite one is still Whatsername anyway

This was the album that introduced me to Green Day. It's not my absolute favorite, but it has a special place in my heart. I never really caught on to Extraordinary Girl, still don't really like it. Homecoming and Are We the Waiting are my favorites on the album <3

In the beginning, i only liked the singles from this album, now theirs not one song i don't like.

Yeah, it's pretty much been scientifically proven that this is the single best album in existence, so idk if there's much else to say. Other than reiterating that it's the best fucking album in existence.

Yeah, it's pretty much been scientifically proven that this is the single best album in existence, so idk if there's much else to say. Other than reiterating that it's the best fucking album in existence.

well said *claps*

AMERICAN IDIOT :woot:

my 2nd favorite Album after Kerplunk and this album brought me to Green Day (in one way)

i remember the first song i heard was American Idiot in my friend's mp3 in November 2004 and was like "god. what a good song :happy:"

and then i discovered JOS and my live changed forever.

and concording but Micky there isn't song i dont love. some times i think would be "Are we the waiting" but then i listen it and i say "hell no!"

but my favorite song is Blvd of Broken Dreams. definilly and maybe my 2nd favorite is JOS... no, i can't choice :lol:

American Idiot was the album that made me fall in love with Green Day, so It definitely holds a special place in my heart.

Letterbomb would have to be my favorite song off of this album. The lyrics really flow together just right. :happy:

Prepare for a wall of text/stories, heh. No, really, I mean it. :mellow:

American Idiot... how in the hell do I begin to even try to describe the impact this album has had on my life? Had it not been for this album, I wouldn't have gotten into Green Day at the time I did, or even at all. I wouldn't be here writing this on this forum. Things would be so much different in my life, had it not been for this album. Exaggeration? No, not really. Here's how American Idiot got everything started for me...

I remember what the was like for me when I was about to be unknowingly introduced to the band that would change everything for me. It was a beautiful autumn morning in 2005 - sunny, and very few clouds. I was your typical 6th grader, just getting ready for another day at school. This was my life until that point: School, home, homework, chores, sleep. Wake up and do it again. Nothing too exciting. I wasn't quite sure about things at that point in my life, in terms of the state of the world. Politics? I could tell you what was told to me by the media, the news stations, and that was pretty much it. I wasn't aware of the severity and impact of issues like Darfur, foreign oil dependency, corruption and deceit in politics, and how fucked up our world really is. I knew the little bubble I lived in, in my small Pennsylvania town, and that was it. So for me, this morning - seemingly mundane - was about to become one of the most important and influential days of my life.

I walked out the door of my house that morning, and casually walked up to my bus stop. There were some people there, but I never bothered with any of them, and they never bothered with me. One girl, however, caught my attention. She was dressed a bit differently than the other kids. What exactly caught my attention about her? A hoodie. It was black, with a yellow crest and a hand holding a heart grenade (at the time, I just thought it was a deformed heart), with the words 'Green Day' written below the crest in a scratchy, distressed font. One question came to my mind... "Who's Green Day?". The name sounded intriguing. I wanted to learn more about this... thing, whatever it may have been. The name was lodged in my head all throughout that day at school. As soon as I got home, I went into my room, got onto my computer, and searched on Google for 'Green Day'. This is when I learned that they were a band. I had (obviously) never heard of them. So what did I do? Try to find a music video from them. I clicked one of the first results I saw. What I clicked wasn't a music video. Rather, it was a live performance from the Wiltern Theatre. The first song and live performance I heard from these guys? Extraordinary Girl. :wub: The performance was enchanting to me - I had never heard something quite like this before. I was hooked on it from the first stroke of the guitar.

From that point onwards, I found myself looking up more and more Green Day material. I borrowed a friend's copy of American Idiot soon after and listened to it in it's entirety for the first time through my CD player, with my headphones in, and the volume blasting as loud as it could go. I loved this album. I couldn't get enough of it.

One of the first music videos I watched from GD was none other than Jesus Of Suburbia. This video, like the performance of Extraordinary Girl, was mesmerizing to me. My eyes and ears were being exposed to new music and new topics, and I couldn't get enough of it. Running downstairs to my living room and watching that video on TV before school was the highlight of my day. It energized me, and made me feel... many different things. The lyrics were like a best friend to me; they expressed things I was feeling but didn't quite know how to express.

This album changed everything for me. I grew as a person from it. It taught me that I had a mouth and needed to use it if I wanted things I was unhappy with to change. That was, by far, the most vital thing I gained from this album. Knowing that there were other people who were just as pissed off as me with some things in life, and creating such an impact from it, inspired me. It made me want to express my opinions, and for the first time, I didn't care if others disapproved of my thoughts or ideas.

Shortly after all of these events, in the Summer of '06, I purchased BIAB, and things really took off. That's where my AI story ends. :)

I'm sorry that this was so long. :lol:

... i dont know why Blvd of Broken Dreams is my favorite song, actually. should be Jesus of Suburbia because i always say that song reflected a important part of my life and i can understand Jesus perfectly.

... i dont know why Blvd of Broken Dreams is my favorite song, actually. should be Jesus of Suburbia because i always say that song reflected a important part of my life and i can understand Jesus perfectly.

BOBD is a fantastic song. :happy: But I get what you mean, Ale. JOS was and still is simply mind blowing, haha.

Awwww Angela. :wub:

Yeah, I hate to admit it, but I never really fell in love with Green Day till I heard American Idiot.

It really opened my eyes to things, and completely changed me. Tbh, some of the lyrics

make me cry sometimes, because I find it so relatable and powerful.

this album got me into green day. i can't put into words how much i love the fact that this album exists.

people say it's a shit green day album, and it's not as good compared to some of their other stuff, but there isn't a song on this album that i would skip.

are we the waiting and letterbomb are my favourites.

one of my favs :wub:, i really like Jesus Of Suburbia and Holiday :wub:. those are my favs, i also like Homecoming.

one of my favs :wub:, i really like Jesus Of Suburbia and Holiday :wub:. those are my favs, i also like Homecoming.

HOLIDAY! :wub:

this is what got me into green day :D

I love every song, but my fav is letterbomb :P

(and homecoming)

I'm so glad other people like Homecoming :wub: My favorite part is in the beginning when he says "What the hell's your name? What's your pleasure? What is your pain?" <33333

I'm so glad other people like Homecoming :wub: My favorite part is in the beginning when he says "What the hell's your name? What's your pleasure? What is your pain?" <33333

Homecoming is just :wub:

and i love that part too but my favorite is "Jimmy died today,He blew his brains out into the bay, In the state of mind in my own private suicide"

and nobody likes you!

Some people think its strange that my favourite song on this is Whatsername! I thinks its an epic song!! J.O.S is my 2nd favourite! I love them so much. I had been listening to Green Day for about 2 years before American Idiot and out of all their songs I had listened to, those 2 were the first ones that kinda...sounds cheesy but, they were the first ones that kinda hit me y'know? I felt I could really really relate to them... Anyone else feel the same?? :happy:

i love that bit too, but my favourite has to be from the end of Rock 'n' Roll Girlfriend into "Here they come marching down the street, like a desperation murmur of a heartbeat"... i always rewind that bit.

Homecoming is just :wub:

and i love that part too but my favorite is "Jimmy died today,He blew his brains out into the bay, In the state of mind in my own private suicide"

and nobody likes you!

thats my favourite part too :wub:

those words are just amazing...how can one man write so many songs that will be permanently imprinted in our hearts? :wub:

[quote name=anita nerd much :)' date='01 May 2010 - 01:24 AM' timestamp='1272673491' post='3787846]

Some people think its strange that my favourite song on this is Whatsername! I thinks its an epic song!! J.O.S is my 2nd favourite! I love them so much. I had been listening to Green Day for about 2 years before American Idiot and out of all their songs I had listened to, those 2 were the first ones that kinda...sounds cheesy but, they were the first ones that kinda hit me y'know? I felt I could really really relate to them... Anyone else feel the same?? :happy:

[quote name=anita nerd much :)' date='30 April 2010 - 10:26 PM' timestamp='1272673594' post='3787851]

thats my favourite part too :wub:

those words are just amazing...how can one man write so many songs that will be permanently imprinted in our hearts? :wub:

Ah, American Idiot. This is what got me into Green Day. <3

My favorites from this one are Homecoming, JOS, Holiday, and Letterbomb. I love Rock n Roll Girlfriend (I wish Tre would sing more, he has an awesome voice!)

Archived