Insomniac

captain peroxide

id say no pride is the most underrated song ever... even here nobody seems to mention it.

it is easy part of my top 10 green day songs. great music, great lyrics....

top three of this albums:

1st: No pride

2nd: Stuck with me

3rd: Westbound Signs/ Stuar and the Ave.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Insomniac will always be my favourite GD album. The rawness of it, the dark themes, and the fact that it wasn't in the same mould as Dookie just makes for a good combo. I can relate to more songs on that album than on any other, got me through some horrible shit.

"Broken glass inside my head, bleeding down these thoughts of anguish... Mass confusion."

Insomniac, in my opinion, is the absolute best Green Day record. Reason being, is how dark and heavy the album is as a whole. From the artwork, to the lyrics, and most importantly their sound.

This album is similar to Nirvana's In Utero, or Weezer's Pinkerton. After the release of their breakthrough record, the bands are suddenly propelled into the spotlight. A sense of anger and depression are present on all these albums.

Not only was Insomniac much more angry and agressive, but so were the members of Green Day. In just about every interview I've seen from the insomniac Era they seem to be a lot more serious and a lot more agressive toward the interviewer.

My favorite songs off the album would have to be Panic Song, Westbound Sign, and Stuart and the Ave.

I can listen to this album back to back anytime and never get tired of it.

• Like 2

Yeah what a great album. I still remember the day I got the CD. I really wish they played No Pride live more, I just listened to that one a few times recently and I think its one of their best songs overall

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
'15 Albums You Won’t Believe Turn 20 In 2015'
Green Day, 'Insomniac'
Green Day essentially wrote the modern pop-punk playbook with 1994's 'Dookie,' so there were a ton of expectations on the follow-up. But instead of a blatant rehash, listeners in 1995 were greeted with 'Insomniac' -- a far darker, denser affair than its predecessor that leaned further on the spectrum toward punk than pop. There isn't a universe that exists in which the album's lead single, 'Geek Stink Breath,' can compare to 'Basket Case,' but 'Insomniac' remains the band's third-most successful album (behind 'Dookie' and 2004's 'American Idiot') and contains 'Brain Stew' -- easily one of their best, most adventurous cuts ever.

http://diffuser.fm/albums-that-turn-20-in-2015/?fblw&trackback=tsmclip

• Like 1

I think so many songs go unappreciated from this album, even more so than Nimrod and Warning.

No Pride is possibly one of my favorite songs ever written, and it's difficult to pick a top 3 from the album.
I feel that most of the album gems are shadowed by Brain Stew which is a shame, because while it has its place, it's pretty dull in comparison.

• Like 1

I think Insomniac is still my favorite album. Obviously not by far, but it's had an edge to it that hasn't been replicated Now this is my own view, but this is the most "punk" sound that they've achieved (in the most common use of the word). Their early stuff was pop punk, more so on their earliest tracks. Insomniac is a dreary and dark trip all the way through, retaining all of the energy that put them on the map with Dookie. I love it

The overall theme of this album is the negative response to their sudden stardom, but mix in drug addiction, mental health, and even the struggles of being a new parents, and you've got the recipe for some of their rawest songs. Happy 20th, Insomniac.

• Like 1

This is definitely one of my favourites, even though they all are constantly rotating in that position. Nowadays I don't listen to Green Day too often, and I find myself mostly returning to Dookie, Insomniac and Nimrod. Those three connect with me the most I think, which is a really tough thing to say, but Insomniac has this raw energy that they've never been able to recreate.

Also 3,000 posts! Only took me five fucking years!

• Like 2

I think Insomniac is still my favorite album. Obviously not by far, but it's had an edge to it that hasn't been replicated Now this is my own view, but this is the most "punk" sound that they've achieved (in the most common use of the word). Their early stuff was pop punk, more so on their earliest tracks. Insomniac is a dreary and dark trip all the way through, retaining all of the energy that put them on the map with Dookie. I love it

The overall theme of this album is the negative response to their sudden stardom, but mix in drug addiction, mental health, and even the struggles of being a new parents, and you've got the recipe for some of their rawest songs. Happy 20th, Insomniac.

Spot on. It's definitely the most "punk" sound they had and I think that's why it's my second favorite album of theirs. The energy in that album is insane. Ah, what I would give to go back in time and witness a show during the Insomniac tour. :cry:

Insomniac has this raw energy that they've never been able to recreate.

Also 3,000 posts! Only took me five fucking years!

Exactly! & cheers to 3,000 posts! :drinks:

And now I wanna put "Insomniac" on my cd player and listen to it from top to bottom even though I'm tired as fuck.

I got a sealed Insomniac cassette today! Well, mostly sealed. There's a tear in the wrap on the front. But it's 20 years old, so I can't complain about that!

I just got Insomniac vinyl in the mail yesterday. It's my 2nd favorite album besides American Idiot. Armatage Shanks, Panic Song, Westbound Sign, Stuck With Me, Brain Stew, just the whole album is genious in my opinion. Panic song is my personal favorite because the energy that builds up and the intense lyics.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

10 Albums Turning 20 in 2015

Green Day followed up the massive success of 1994’s Dookie with 1995’s Insomniac, a much different offering. With Insomniac, the pop-punk guys unbridled a darker, deeper offering than Dookie, but it still packed some fun tunes, such as the beloved Green Day hit “Brain Stew.”

http://www2.gibson.com/News-Lifestyle/Features/en-us/10-Albums-Turning-20-in-2015.aspx

The sheer energy on this album is why I'll always prefer it to Dookie. I always lose my shit whenever the intro to Armatage Shanks kicks in. As much as I love what Green day did after this album, I think it would be pretty interesting if they evolved into a full on punk band.

• Like 1

Four of the songs from Insomniac are easily in my top 10 favorite Green Day songs. Stuck With Me is my favorite with Armatage Shanks being a close second. Panic Song and Stuart and the Avenue are also in my top 10.