Dookie

captain peroxide

Great album!.. Really got Green Day known after it was released, best songs on it for me is Welcome to Paradise and F.O.D :)

Edited by Ryan_

It must be my favorite album because the song I adore is "When I come around".... I like it but not so much :unsure:

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

from VH1
Vh1-How much of Dookie is a love letter to your wife Adrienne?

Billie Joe: There really weren't any songs about her at that time. A lot of the songs are about this girl from San Diego, who went to Cal Berkeley. Adrienne and I weren't going out at the time. We lost contact with each other for about a year. She got engaged to a guy in Minneapolis. Then I got involved with this other girl. I lived in the basement in Berkeley with all these guys from the East Bay and she lived upstairs in the apartment. We ended up having this year-long relationship. The song "She" was about her.

best songs being Having A Blast and F.O.D. also remember the classic Basket Case!!

Dookie is on of the most epic albums I have ever listened to. Each line sounded like it took years to write, absolutely perfect.

I recently got it on vinyl for Christmas and I love it! I wonder if one day my Dookie LP will be rare and as a result will be worth a lot of money and in high demand.

it's a fantastic album, full of so many great songs.

for me the songs on AI are more relatable, and i do feel that AI and Insomniac as albums alone are more complete, but that's just my personal preference. dookie is right up there in my favourite albums of all time for sure.

i really like Pulling Teeth! one of my fav songs to listen to at the moment

What a period of songwriting Billie Joe had from 1991-1995, the three albums from that era are in my opinion Green Day's best, with Dookie the peak, comercially at least. The songs Burnout, Welcome to Paradise, Longview, She, Basket Case, Coming Clean and When I Come Around are all classics and are rightfully played at most concerts. This album means so much to me, the ultimate teen angst album, and should be considered one of the best punk albums of all time.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Dookie was the first Green day album I ever got. back in the fall of 1995 I got it on cassette and never looked back. a masterpiece of a record from start to finish.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

They played this album, all the way through, in Belgrade, Serbia! I was there and they played Pulling Teeth for the first time live! What's also interesting about this album, is the album cover, where you can find sad-faced balloon that says "Bad year", but the irony is that Dookie was sold in 5.000.000 copies in just under 11 months! x)

The pot wakes up your creativity
-green day

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Throwback: Green Day – Dookie

On Tuesday, July 16, 2013

http://music-news.redigi.com/throwback-green-day-dookie-2/

this taken from a VH1 interview

VH1: How much of Dookie is a love letter to your wife Adrienne?

Billie Joe: There really weren't any songs about her at that time. A lot of the songs are about this girl from San Diego, who went to Cal Berkeley. Adrienne and I weren't going out at the time. We lost contact with each other for about a year. She got engaged to a guy in Minneapolis. Then I got involved with this other girl. I lived in the basement in Berkeley with all these guys from the East Bay and she lived upstairs in the apartment. We ended up having this year-long relationship. The song "She" was about her.

VH1: How did you come to write it?

Billie Joe: She gave me this poem about this empowering woman, which I think is called "She." I wrote the song as an answer back to her. My now ex-girlfriend is also on the songs "Sassafras Roots" and "Chump."

VH1: So how did you and Adrienne get back together?

Billie Joe: My ex-girlfriend was moving to Ecuador to live there for the spring semester. At that point we were going to go on our tour and just keep going. So we had a hasty breakup. I never really talked to her ever again.

VH1: So what's it like now for Adrienne to be married to you and your biggest record is filled with songs about another woman?

Billie Joe: I know she likes that song! I've been married for almost eight years, so Adrienne and I are comfortable enough that I've had a past. She's got a past, too. She was engaged, had boyfriends, had flings, and I'm comfortable with that, otherwise I wouldn't be married to her. Adrienne is the only woman I'll ever love.

VH1: What do you feel you were addressing in "Basket Case?"

Billie Joe: "Basket Case" was about anxiety attacks and feeling like you're ready to go crazy. At times I probably was. I've suffered from panic disorders my entire life. I thought I was just losing my mind. The only way I could know what the hell was going on was to write a song about it. It was only years later that I figured out I had a panic disorder.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I've just recently started playing this album with a standard-tuned guitar (I'd always tuned down half a step before), and it's surprisingly tricky to play actually!

• 7 months later...

If Nirvana‘s Nevermind was responsible for effectively killing the age of hair metal with its dynamic hard hitting music and the gravely voice of Kurt Cobain, then Green Day‘s Dookie brought us out of the haze of grunge and over produced pop music. With Dookie, Green Day made punk music commercially acceptable. Dookie flipped the bird to authority and convention while smiling in the frowning face of grunge music. Dookie swept three snot nosed punks off of the streets of Berkley, California and in a wave of youthful rebellion and teenage angst, Dookie inspired a generation and served as a launching pad for one of the most successful bands in the world. This month, the diamond certified album turns twenty and is just as relatable in 2014 as it was in 1994.

In 1992, Green Day released Kerplunk, their second studio album through the independent, Lookout! Records. Pop-punk hooks and lyrics caught the attention of Rob Cavallo who was junior A&R scout at Reprise Records. Cavallo signed the band and agreed to produce Dookie. While the punk scene in Berkley disowned them, the rest of America loved Green Day after their legendary performance at Wood Stalk 1994, which was dubbed “Mudstock” after the band started a mud fight with the crowd. Dookie produced five hit singles, won them a Grammy for Best Alternative Music Album, and to date, has sold over 8 million copies in the United States. With Feb. 1, 2014 marking the 20th anniversary of Dookie’s release we’ve put together a track by track examination of one of punk’s favorite albums.

Read More:

http://www.881theburg.com/?s=dookie

First album I ever bought, very important to me, both musically and personally.

From Dookie, my music taste spiralled from there. It got me into Ramones, Husker Du, Black Flag, Descendents, Bad Religion, Operation Ivy and many, many, many, many more!