Letterbomb!

J'net

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

this is my FAVORITE AI song! :D

I can't decide completeyl but this one comes really freaking close :)

It's SO fun to play on guitar too!

I think that a lot of Billie Joe's lyrics can be interpreted in multiple ways depending on what your starting point or your frame of reference is. Frame the song one way and you get one result, frame it a different way and it leads you someplace completely different and even unexpected.

If you look at Letterbomb from the "CD booklet" (heck, even the new musical's) perspective -- Whatsername writing a scathing kiss-off letter to Jesus/Jimmy -- you hit some of the points I raised earlier in this thread. Dump the gloss that the booklet adds and focus on the lyrics -- just the lyrics -- and I think Angeline's view of Jesus as basically flagellating himself in this song is absolutely valid...and we arrive at an alternative view of Letterbomb that establishes it as the beginning of Jesus' cry for help.

but it has --W at the end of the letter. :lol: i believe Whatsername wrote the letter.

but it has --W at the end of the letter. :lol: i believe Whatsername wrote the letter.

Toss aside the booklet and just listen to the music and the lyrics. Then tell us whether the alternative interpretation makes any sense. :)

haha, somehow I didn't even notice that.

but yeah, that ^

and I guess my interpretation doesn't make sense?

this is fucking nice man !!! :woot:

even though its my least favorite song on american idiot its still amazing and awesome and just an icredibly strong song with a great melody and great lyrics.....im getting into it lately :)

oh and i love the way billie sings "you better run for your fucking life" :wub:

I absolutely love this song, it really stirs me and the lyrics are just :wub:

Letterbomb could quite possibly be my favourite Green Day song. It's definitely my favourite of American Idiot.

The way Billie sings the last two lines of the song always gets me. :wub:

The way Billie sings the last two lines of the song always gets me. :wub:

Yeah, those lines are a close my eyes and enjoy the shivers up my spine moment... The only other lines that affect me that much every single time are the lines in my signature.

I love Letterbomb!

My 2nd favourite song off American Idiot <3

It's not over before it's too late <3

gr8 song! one of my favorites! Where have all, the bastards gone???

Fuck yes! :lol:

I loveeeee this song... I'm kinda still disappointed Homecoming lost, but Letterbomb is like, right up there with it. When Billie screams... :wub:

Fuck yes! :lol:

I loveeeee this song... I'm kinda still disappointed Homecoming lost, but Letterbomb is like, right up there with it. When Billie screams... :wub:

Just so you know, there's no winning or losing in this thread. It's a thread for discussion of the songs. I don't always choose based on votes or on what song I like best. I have a lot of criteria I use to choose the song each week. Sooner or later, we'll discuss every song. So Homecoming will have its turn, too :).

I've always loved Letterbomb. The first time I played through american idiot, I remember that letterbomb really stuck out from the other songs. I love ye Letterbomb!

The song always sends shivers up my spine. It has such raw energy. I love all of the Green Day songs but it's really rare for me to find one that really haunts me in a good way. Definitely the best song for SOTW! :bunny:

I love this song - it's one of my favourites of Green Day. I used to not be so bothered about it but looking back i don't know how i ever thought that.

One of there best songs, its currently top of my most played list. Love it. My dad likes to sing "where have all the bastards gone", on a regular basis

Archived