Green Day East Bay Reference Locations Tour

-Nemesis-

Oh is jingletown up there?

I suggested Jingletown but it's not on the map yet.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Broadway?

Berkeley square?

La jolla?

HIGHWAY 1?!

Believe it or not, there's people who don't know about the pasific coast hwy.

Oh is jingletown up there?

Berkeley Square I can do, but can someone remind me of it's significance with the band? I believe they performed there, but is there anything else?

As for the other places, I'm trying to mainly focus on the East Bay (Green Day's home turf), unless most people feel I should include every area. Highway 1 is on the other side of the bay. Broadway is in New York, and La Jolla is near San Diego. I can add the theater where the American Idiot play made it's debut, does anyone remember where it was? I saw it the other day but now I'm drawing a blank. As for Jingletown, Google Maps can't find a specific place for me to put a placemark. The neighborhood isn't even marked on the map. Any ideas?

Berkeley Square I can do, but can someone remind me of it's significance with the band? I believe they performed there, but is there anything else?

As for the other places, I'm trying to mainly focus on the East Bay (Green Day's home turf), unless most people feel I should include every area. Highway 1 is on the other side of the bay. Broadway is in New York, and La Jolla is near San Diego. I can add the theater where the American Idiot play made it's debut, does anyone remember where it was? I saw it the other day but now I'm drawing a blank. As for Jingletown, Google Maps can't find a specific place for me to put a placemark. The neighborhood isn't even marked on the map. Any ideas?

Find someone who knows where the neighborhood is.

The Berkeley Marina - not actually in a Green Day song, but a BJ song ...

It's on your map, but not marked.

It's also of significance because SO MANY of us have stayed at the Doubletree Hotel there. If you walk in the lobby, it SMELLS like Green Day :).

I'm going to the Bay Area this summer and planned on at least hitting up Rudy's, this gives me some more ideas, thanks!

Find someone who knows where the neighborhood is.

Well, I hope this is the right place to find someone!

The Berkeley Marina - not actually in a Green Day song, but a BJ song ...

It's on your map, but not marked.

Great suggestion. Berkeley Marina has been added to the map.

I can add the theater where the American Idiot play made it's debut, does anyone remember where it was?

it was at the Berkley Rep

wow! That's very nice of you!! Maybe i'll honeymoon with my wife in these places.

As for the other places, I'm trying to mainly focus on the East Bay (Green Day's home turf), unless most people feel I should include every area. Highway 1 is on the other side of the bay. Broadway is in New York, and La Jolla is

near San Diego. I can add the theater where the American

Idiot play made it's debut, does anyone remember where it was? I saw it the other day but now I'm drawing a blank.

As for Jingletown, Google Maps can't find a specific place for me to put a placemark. The neighborhood isn't even marked on the map. Any ideas?

Well you mentioned the ruby room which means you're

adding locations from their side bands as well right?

They played in berkeley square before tre was the drummer, and it's also it's in a PHGP song.

Well highway 1 is a song from the tubbies, so you should add it to point out where it's at. Not everyone knows it runs all over CA.

The broadway the foxboro hot tubs are talking about ISNT about new York, it's about our broadway. That's why they mention the intersection of Hollywood blvd. And Vine.

Well la jolla has to do with the network... You can put it if you want.

Oh and jingletown is part of fruitvale, in south Oakland.

• 2 months later...

This sounds like the best trip ever! Have fun :)

I'm visiting some colleges in California this summer, and I plan to do a little Green Day sightseeing as well. I think most of the prominent places have been mentioned, but paying a visit to Amoeba Records might be fun. Billie's always talking about that place, and well....records are fun :)

YOU MUST GO TO AMOEBA RECORDS OH MY GOD.

Idk I'm just obsessed with the store. It's actually on telegraph ave. :) Haha yeah billie always talks about it too. I don't blame him. Amoeba is heaven for music lovers. :P

I have a whole GD tour written out, but it's on the PC not my laptop. I'll post it tomorrow.

also, let's NOT share Billie's address, even over PM.

what do you expect, you drive up there, ring the bell, he'll invite you in for a coffee and a look around his studio?

oh please.

I'll do this in May / June 2012.. and I really can't believe it's going to happen.

I've just got a few days for my "Green Day trip".. like 2 or 3.

But I'll definitely have the time of my life..

Maybe I'll realize that this is true when I'm finally there. But maybe not even then.. :happy:

I'll do this in May / June 2012.. and I really can't believe it's going to happen.

I've just got a few days for my "Green Day trip".. like 2 or 3.

But I'll definitely have the time of my life..

Maybe I'll realize that this is true when I'm finally there. But maybe not even then.. :happy:

you're gonna love it! It's absolutely amazing, you get to stand at all these places that you're read or heard about and it's just surreal.

Definitely one of the best times of my life, doing the GD locations tour.

you're gonna love it! It's absolutely amazing, you get to stand at all these places that you're read or heard about and it's just surreal.

Definitely one of the best times of my life, doing the GD locations tour.

Oh yeah, I believe you. I mean .. always dreamt about that and now it's really going to happen? How could you ever realize something like that? .. I'm so excited about this. Happy and moved to tears at the same time.

Hi I am new here, but I do live in the area where Billie Joe lives. As well as familiar with alot of the places you want to visit.

Tightwad Hill is actually a hill over looking the football field at John Swett High School in Crockett where he went to school before transferring to Pinole Valley High. Crockett is also the home of C and H sugar factory which is known as Sugar City, which is referrenced in the song Tight Wad Hill.

Crockett is not far from Christie Rd.

Toots Tavern is in Crockett where the Foxboro Hot Tubs played on 5-16-2008.

Pasalacqua (correct spelling is Passalacqua) is a funeral home in Benicia which is further north from Rodeo over the bridge and east of Vallejo.

The facility on East 12th street could be referring to the poice station as he was filing paperwork for his DUI arrest and had to do community service.

Billie Joe has moved from his house in the Upper Rockridge area of Oakland and has moved to different area.

It is not far from Tre's house now.

Also, a side note, that they filmed When I come around inside the Powell Street BART station and around the mission district in San Francisco.

You can PM me if you have any other questions or want some more information on places to go to.

i wanna go on a trip like this.

I'm going on a trip to the Bay Area in two months, seriously can't wait to go to all those places!

Okay folks, here's my East Bay Green Day tour guide. While it's missing a few places like Passalacqua Funeral Homes and Powell st BART, it's a pretty damn complete list of the big, must-see references. I've been to all these places myself happy.gif
And no, it doesn't include any private addresses of the band or their families. Have some respect, people.
OH, forgot to mention, this is written as a driving tour. I don't know how you'd get to some places such as Christie Road otherwise...

I've tried to group together places so that you can move in a sort of logical order. It's worth your time hopping on Google Maps and planning a rough order of what you're going to see, so you're not driving back and forward between places, wasting valuable Green Day reference hunting time.
A very basic guide is: Pinole/Rodeo/Christie road are most North. South of that is Berkeley, South of that is Oakland. That's how I've grouped these together.

I've marked Pinole, Rodeo, Foxboro Village and Christie Road on this map. Do these ones together. Foxboro Village is circled in blue.

- Tight Wad Hill
- Pinole High
- Fiat Music
- THE 7-11 (in the centre of the Earth in the parking lot), which is right near Fiat Music
These ones are all together in one location. Here's a map.
Fiat Music and the 7-11 are in the Pinole Valley Shopping Centre (the 7-11 is just across the road), and the high school is next to that.
Tight Wad Hill is visible from here - if you turn your back to the shopping centre you'll see it.
The green line I've drawn on this map is the path up to the top of the hill. If you look in the direction of the blue arrow, you'll see Rodeo. Look for the chimneys from the refineries. That view of the refineries is actually on the cover of Dookie if you look closely.
When you go into Fiat, it's worth telling them you're there for Green Day. If the owner is there, she might show you the Look For Love t-shirt and sheet music, otherwise there's a Look For Love shirt in the back practice studio, just look through the window.

- Rodeo (and John Swett High)
Again, this one's easy. It's on Parker Ave which is on the main road. You can't miss it.

- Foxboro Village
Foxboro Park, which is connected to the residential Foxboro Village, is on Canterbury road in Hercules (South of Rodeo). The Village is to the East of the park, with the 'Foxboro Village' sign on the corner of Canterbury and Gloucester roads. There are a few signs to hunt for around here, as well as the hot tubs scattered around the village.

- Christie Road
This is in Martinez, off John Muir Parkway.

Berkeley/Oakland area:
- 924 Gilman st
This one's easy, it's in Berkeley

- Berkeley Marina
At the west end of University Ave.

- Stuart st/Telegraph ave.
This is in the heart of Berkeley. With a GPS, you can't miss it. It's between Shattuck Ave and College Ave, which are two of the main streets in the area. It's not far from the university

- Adeline st
In Berkeley. It's a long road, but it starts/ends near Stuart st/Telegraph, just off Shattuck Ave.

- 2243 Ashby Ave (Longview House)
On Ashby is the house they filmed Longview in. It’s on the second block to the west of the intersection of Ashby and Telegraph. White with blue details, you can’t miss it, but here's the google street view anyway.

- Atomic Garden
5453 College Avenue, Oakland
This isn't far from Stuart and the Ave, though you'd probably want to drive here.

- Rudy's Can't Fail Café
4081 Hollis Street, Emeryville
Rudy's is kinda half way between Berkeley and Oakland, so it's a good mid-way point. Try the pancakes.

- The Ruby Room
132 14th St
(between Madison St & Oak St)
Oakland, CA 94612
Neighborhood: Lake Merritt
The Fox Theatre and the new Rudy's is just up the road from here too, at 1807 Telegraph Avenue

- The Facility on East 12th street
Alameda County Sheriff's Office
2425 East 12th Street, Oakland
Very close to Studio 880

- Studio 880 (which is in Jingletown)
This one's in Oakland. You'll find the door that had the picture of Gloria on it here (the one from the 21CB booklet)
you can also peak through gaps in the black canvas covering the gates and see into it a little
address:
829 27th Ave
Oakland, CA 94601

- The Haight
Big street in San Francisco, across the bay, mentioned in ‘Misery’.

hope that's useful smile.gif

I'm taking this trip next week, so I greatly appreciate all of the suggestions in this thread!

for anyone travelling to Rudy's Can't Fail by public transport, get the BART to MacArthur and then get the Emery-Go-Round shuttle bus which leaves outside the station. It's a free ride and the driver we had was amazing- we told him the address and he dropped us off as close as he could. We eventually found it on foot about 20 minutes later :lol:

I think if you're planning to see as much as possible in a short amount of time, you're better off driving. We did it all on public transport and we didn't get to see half of the places we wanted to see. I didn't really care that much because I was just happy to have been in Berkeley and Oakland in the first place...but if I was doing it again, I'd drive.

for anyone travelling to Rudy's Can't Fail by public transport, get the BART to MacArthur and then get the Emery-Go-Round shuttle bus which leaves outside the station. It's a free ride and the driver we had was amazing- we told him the address and he dropped us off as close as he could. We eventually found it on foot about 20 minutes later :lol:

I think if you're planning to see as much as possible in a short amount of time, you're better off driving. We did it all on public transport and we didn't get to see half of the places we wanted to see. I didn't really care that much because I was just happy to have been in Berkeley and Oakland in the first place...but if I was doing it again, I'd drive.

Yeah, I think you're right.

I'll definitely drive. I've got my parents (my dad is a Green Day fan, too) with me :lol:

please someone kidnap me and take me with them!

a trip like that sounds amazing!

Archived