LA Artist files lawsuit against Green Day

Sanity Loan

Overall, I think the artist has a fair case. But like someone said earlier, I don't think it was Green Day's fault at all. It's not as if the band makes those sort of calls, usually...

Yeah, I really doubt that Green Day ever had a meeting where they were like, "So there's this really awesome illustration of a person screaming. We should totally just superimpose a cross over it and use it for the backdrop when we play East Jesus Nowhere. Nobody knows who this guy is, we could get away with it. Wait, what? He doesn't want us to use it? Just offer him some concert tickets." Especially since there was recently that lawsuit against the group Panda for totally ripping off some of Green Day's songs. They know what it's like to get ripped off like that, so I don't think they'd do it intentionally. Clearly it was an oversight on somebody else's part.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Obviously someone made a mistake, and it wasn't Billie, Mike, or Tré themselves. I hope Warner can fix up the damage and make the guy go away. :)

I went on TMZ and saw this case. I lol'd, just because Green Day's actually on TMZ.

As for the actual case... This artist got ripped off and deserves credit and compensation. 'Nuff said.

its so stupd really :lol: i mean he has a right of payment for his work...no doubt

That guy sues green day and warner when clearly they are not the ones who create those backgrounds.....

I went on TMZ and saw this case. I lol'd, just because Green Day's actually on TMZ.

This

If there is a misunderstanding this will all blow over quickly.

What wouldn't be nice was if it was sort of intentional. Then that would be not cool.

If there is a misunderstanding this will all blow over quickly.

What wouldn't be nice was if it was sort of intentional. Then that would be not cool.

What troubles me is that the people in the comments who claim to know this guy say he's been trying to contact and inform Green Day's reps about this for ages, but they've ignored him. That doesn't make it seem much like a misunderstanding. But the lawyer's trying to shift the blame onto the "responsible company" they got the artwork from. If that were truly the case, shouldn't that company be who this guy needs to go after?

The guy has a point and it is really similar, although edited, but I don't think Green Day as in Billie, Mike and Tre should be sued, I highly doubt they went round the internet (or wherever) searching for art, found this and thought "it's by someone else - let's use it without letting them know or asking if it's okay!" Is it specified anywhere who exactly he is suing?

I wonder anyway how whoever found the artwork and suggested they could use it as backdrop, found it, seeing as it took a day for someone to find it, and that was in an article ABOUT the lawsuit.

the chances that green day purposely searched for this guy, and said to themselves, 'yep, i think we're gonna steal this picture', are rather slim.

Poor Green Day. I don't think they need shit from an underground artist.

But one thing that bugs me, in the other article from December 20, with that guy from Oasis...

They spelled Billie's name wrong. :mellow:

Don't they have a guy who does their artwork for them? They get permission to use everything else, I can't see them failing to get it this time on purpose. But yeah, that must still suck for the guy.

as if green day took just any artwork they find on the internet without even having the permission XD c'mon......XD

I don't believe they did it on purpose. No way. If they did I would be severely disappointed.

They always run into trouble with someone...

That guy should feel honored that GD use his Artwork for their purposes. No just kidding. :) I think everything would be fine if he´d just taken the concert ticket. GD could also credit him in some way. To me it doesn´t seem like that much of a problem.

This is another one of those who the fuck are you moments, isn't it? Just like it was

Hayley Williams: HAH MY BAND TOTALLY BEAT YOUR BAND IN THE FUSE COMP THINGY!!

Billie Joe: Who the fuck are you :huh:

Hayley: We're supporting you in Dublin and Paris..

Billie: Right...

(I'm sorry guys, I'm having issues letting go :P )

I bet it's also

Dereck Seltzer: You stole my artwork!

Billie Joe: Who the fuck are you??

Dereck: I'm suing you guys

This is another one of those who the fuck are you moments, isn't it? Just like it was

Hayley Williams: HAH MY BAND TOTALLY BEAT YOUR BAND IN THE FUSE COMP THINGY!!

Billie Joe: Who the fuck are you :huh:

Hayley: We're supporting you in Dublin and Paris..

(I'm sorry guys, I'm having issues letting go :P )

I bet it's also

Dereck Seltzer: You stole my artwork!

Billie Joe: Who the fuck are you??

Dereck: I'm suing you guys

lol right im sure they dont give a fuck XD maybe this guy just needs a lil attention :rolleyes:

this guy looks pretty legit, but the cockhead should have accepted the concert tickets.

he's not going to win in court against warner bros fancy lawyers.

What troubles me is that the people in the comments who claim to know this guy say he's been trying to contact and inform Green Day's reps about this for ages, but they've ignored him. That doesn't make it seem much like a misunderstanding. But the lawyer's trying to shift the blame onto the "responsible company" they got the artwork from. If that were truly the case, shouldn't that company be who this guy needs to go after?

Yeah, but the guy probably isn't going after them cause he wouldn't get as much publicity that way.

honestly I think this is a load of bull. I mean you'd think that an artist wants his artwork being seen around the world. Also I highly doubt that they meant anything by using the artwork. Kind of makes you think about the death of common sense thing.

I mean you'd think that an artist wants his artwork being seen around the world.

Not if it's without any credit at all or ways to track down the original artist at all, or at least if you make your living out of your art/earn money with it.

I see why the guy's pissed off, I just wonder if suing them was the handiest thing to do.

Archived