LA Artist files lawsuit against Green Day

Sanity Loan

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/local-los-angeles-artist-files-lawsuit-against-green-day-for-copyright-infringement-89003477.html

Local Los Angeles Artist Files Lawsuit Against Green Day for Copyright Infringement

LOS ANGELES, March 24 /PRNewswire/ -- Todd Bonder of the plaintiffs' law firm Rosenfeld, Meyer & Susman, LLP, announced today that Dereck Seltzer filed a lawsuit against Green Day for copyright infringement, violation of Lanham Trademark Act, unfair competition and injury to business reputation for misappropriation of Seltzer's original artwork titled Scream Icon.

Seltzer is an up-and-coming Los Angeles-based artist and illustrator. On July 3, 2003, Seltzer created Scream Icon and thereby obtained copyright protection for the work, in the US and elsewhere. Scream Icon is a striking close-up abstract image of a face that is unique and highly identifiable.

In late August of 2009, Seltzer began receiving emails and phone calls that his Scream Icon was used as the graphic image on the stage backdrop for Green Day's Los Angeles concert which is still part of their World concert tour. Seltzer was stunned to learn that his Scream Icon artwork also was being used by Green Day in promotional materials and other concert performances.

"I remember seeing my own artwork as the backdrop on stage during a clip of their concert and I was astonished," stated Seltzer. "Green Day chose my original artwork as the backdrop for all of their promotional materials and concert performances with absolutely no consideration for Scream Icon's copyright. They added the cross, but my artwork was clearly and deliberately used. Even after I complained, they continued to use it, offering me concert tickets in settlement."

"The complaint charges that Green Day deliberately used Scream Icon without authorization," stated plaintiffs' counsel Todd Bonder. "After several unsuccessful attempts at settling this matter with Green Day which is represented by Warner Bros., Seltzer has been left with no choice but to pursue this issue in court through trial."

About Rosenfeld, Meyer & Susman, LLP

Rosenfeld, Meyer & Susman, LLP is located in Beverly Hills, and provides a broad range of services and advice on legal matters. The firm has been a powerful presence in the legal community since 1957 and is one of the most respected law firms in the US. Its highly skilled and experienced attorneys provide clients with authoritative representation, dedication to detail, and passion for their cause. The firm provides creative solutions and successful outcomes for all problems, large and small.

I have no idea what artwork they are talking about. Somebody try and figure it out

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since he said they added a cross, I think it's the face used for East Jesus Nowhere? But I'm not sure...

edit:

I'm talking about this one.

n47c46.jpg

Has this guy not thought that Green Day's artist [i can't remember his name] created something similar to it? Just because it looks like his, doesn't mean that it is his artwork.

I think I'd have to see what this guy created before I say anything. It's never cool to take somebody else's work and use it without permission, but on the other hand, I've heard of some really convoluted copyright infringement lawsuits.

If you google "Derek Seltzer" and "scream icon", nothing comes up. Not sure what happens in terms of copyright protection if you create a work, don't register a copyright for it, and then stick it in a drawer before someone else comes up with something even marginally similar to it and publicizes it.

Maybe the artwork he's talking about is this one

dereck-seltzer.jpg on the left right next to the guy's head (it's from his LinkedIn profile), that kinda looks like the one on the EJN backdrop.

if someone here has a LinkedIn account, maybe they can find out more.

Since this guy hasn't a site or something and nothing shows up googling his name I don't understand how Green Day could have been aware of his art. Then again, maybe the guy how does Green Day' s artwork knows him.

I remember something similar happened for the Obama pop art portrait, I don't remember how it ended though.

But Green Day doesn't use the EJN pic for any promotional issues..

Still not cool.

Most of the lawsuits against Green Day have been bologna, but you never know.

I doubt they knew about it.

As far as I can tell, this guy doesn't even have a website. Seems like a pretty shaky claim.

It's probably this guy they're talking about:

Green-Day-Know-Your-Enemy-467010.jpg

I'm not sure, but how many screaming guys are there connected to Green Day?

EDIT: Nevermind, I didn't read the whole quote.

Hmm, not cool if it's true. Ah well we'll just have to wait and see the outcome.

:mellow: :mellow: :mellow:

So am i gonna get sued for my avatar and signature? :lol:

lololol <3

but really, the hell? i dont even know what this artwork is and nothing is coming up on google. sooo i think this dude is just using green day to get his name out there and to feel like hes important.

i'm really bored to read the whole article... can somebody explain me what happened????? please?

i'm really bored to read the whole article... can somebody explain me what happened????? please?

An artist, who appears to be a complete unknown, is suing Green Day because he says they used some of his work as the backdrop when they played East Jesus Nowhere on tour.

I remember something similar happened for the Obama pop art portrait, I don't remember how it ended though.

Oh yeah with Shepherd Ferry's street art version. Yeah I don't know what happened to it.

People can really be picky about things =/

God, I would feel flattered if Green Day used some of my artwork :lol:

But I won't take anyone's side yet, let's see how far this will get.

I would be so happy if Green Day used my artwork but I have horrible artwork so they wouldn't. I've never heard of this man. Hell I would have taken the concert tickets and asked for a meet and greet but thats just me. Well Green Day rocks anyways!!!

technically he has the right to file a lawsuit against them; not just for using his work, but for edditing it.

Archived