American Idiot

J'net

In honor of our awesome guys' Broadway opening, this week's Song of the Week is American Idiot. Please use this thread to discuss your thoughts and feelings about the song.

The American Idiot album was first released in September, 2004 by Reprise Records. It was Green Day's first album to hit #1 in the charts and has gone platinum 3 times. The American Idiot single also peaked at the #1 position.

After seeing it performed on Broadway by the cast of the musical appropriately named American Idiot, I realized once again what an impact this song has had on me since its release.

Here's a video that I adore: the 2005 Grammys performance. Please share your favorites, too.

American Idiot Lyrics

Don't wanna be an American idiot -

Don't want a nation under the new mania.

And can you hear the sound of hysteria?

The subliminal mind fuck America.

Welcome to a new kind of tension

All across the alien nation,

Where everything isn't meant to be okay.

Television dreams of tomorrow,

We're not the ones meant to follow -

For that's enough to argue

Maybe I am the faggot America.

I'm not a part of a redneck agenda.

Now everybody do the propaganda

And sing along to the age of paranoia.

Don't want to be an American idiot -

One nation controlled by the media.

Information age of hysteria

Calling out to idiot America.

P.S. Sorry for being late with this week's song. I traveled all day yesterday to get to New York City for the premier of the show, and because of flight delays, it was already today (1:30am) before I got to Cheryl's house.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can nominate songs for discussion as Song of the Week in the Song Discussions thread, which contains links to each previous Song of the Week from 9/14/2009 forward in its original post.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another Great song and a powerful one off of the American Idiot album as well as done by the AI musical cast. This is a song that will leave an impace on almost anyone that listens to it

i always think im tired of hearig this song just because it was played so much, but then when i listen to it im like "fuck yes this song!" and turn it up :lol: i really really love this song. ooo and i loove how its done in the musical :wub:

Wow, this song means so much to me, I can't even begin to go into it. It's one of those really powerful ones that leaves you thinking.

The first Green Day song I ever heard. :wub:

I owe my entire teenage life to this song.

It basically opened my eyes to music.

I'll always remember the first time I heard this song. My dad and I were watching VH1 before school one day sophomore year of high school, and there was a segment before the video by VH1 News about how the album was "anti-Bush" (which it really wasn't, but it was smart to market it that way in the fall of 2004 given the election) and that they wore those Bush IDIOT masks, so I was intrigued. Then, I found that I liked the song, and I didn't normally like that kind of music. I didn't buy the album until March of 2005, but then when I heard it in full, I was in love.

[/cool story bro]

I never get bored of listening to this song ... it has so much energy!

and its also the song that made me realize Green Day was not dead lol :)

DA na DA NANANANANANA!

Yeah....my rendition kicks ass.

Yat American Idiot!!

Funny thing was...this was the first ever song i heard by green day when it was released...and i used to hate them cos of the amount of make-up they had on :P Now i love green day :wub:

Love the lyrics and the video!

Ah yes. My 8th grade anthem. Fucking amazing year that was. I miss being 13. :wub:

This was the first Green Day song i can remember listening to although after getting into Green Day i presume Good Riddance (Time Of Your Life) was technically the first Green Day song I heard.

At first i didn't get it at all.

But then as soon as i got into Green Day, i began to appreciate what kind of a song it was for the time we were in.

one of green day's best songs. heard it for the first time during LIve 8. since that day i can't stop listening to Green Day!!

Very appropriate song of the week! It's a great song, and I love both the studio and live version. Well, I actually like the live version more :wub: And the Broadway version is awesome as well! :D

This would have to be my favourite song of all time. This is the song that first got me into Green Day, and I've loved them ever since.

Haha, I remember when I first heard this song! I was sitting watching Top of the Pops and this came on, and they were all standing with their legs so wide apart, it just looked ridiculous :lol: And at first I was like oh my god this is shite, then as it went on I started liking it and at the end it said it was Green Day and I was like :woot: I know them! Cue obsession.

Anyways, cause it got so overplayed I kinda stopped liking it, then some time recently I decided to listen to it again and it was like hearing it for the first time, I never really appreciated it before.

What an excellent start to an album. My daughter brought home the CD and I put it in the CD player in my car and out blasts that guitar. WOW! (That was pre-ipod for me.) I loved it. And related to it. Did anyone know that the song clearly inspired the title to this book? I listen to Charlie Pierce on NPR's "Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me". (Sorry, the adult in me is coming out....)

http://www.amazon.com/Idiot-America-Stupidity-Became-Virtue/dp/0767926145/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1269431733&sr=1-1

this is the song that got me into green day :thumbsup: it'll always have a special place in my heart.

Archived