Sign in to follow this  
Taylor_k2008

Pinhead Gunpowder - 2010/02/12 - 924 Gilman Street, Oakland, California, USA

downontelegraph
oh my god i was about to punch aarron in the face! like right before they went on and played, he came barging through the crowed right up to the front, shoving and pulling people out of the way and pretty much yelling at them to move, just so his friends could be at the front. he didnt care at all, that people, his fans, had been waiting since early hours of the morning to get to where they were. i was in a good spot so i could breath, and see, in the front, and he shoved me back really hard and made his friend jump in right infront of me. i was like "are you fucking kidding me?!!!" and he just kept yelling at me and everyone to move back. god he was being such a dick.

aw man, that does suck. maybe he was a bit annoyed with those couple of screaming fan girls who were there? yeah, thats my lame attempt at finding some excuse for his actions, haa.

Edited by downontelegraph

J'net
I wish I knew that before!!!

Here it is. Remember I am still LEARNING english, so this is not as well written as I should be, sorry.

Marjorie - your English is great. I really enjoyed reading your recap. I'm trying to write mine today, but my first priority is to spend time with my brother and son. If I don't get it finished today, I'll write it on the plane home tomorrow.

I thoroughly enjoyed sharing this experience with you. I hope we get to meet up again at another show sometime. I'm thinking you won't be back in Paris for the show in June, is that right? I can't remember when you said you go back (except I remember that if you get an internship it would be October, which is a bit too late). It would be so great to see you there!

-Nemesis-
Marjorie - your English is great. I really enjoyed reading your recap. I'm trying to write mine today, but my first priority is to spend time with my brother and son. If I don't get it finished today, I'll write it on the plane home tomorrow.

I thoroughly enjoyed sharing this experience with you. I hope we get to meet up again at another show sometime. I'm thinking you won't be back in Paris for the show in June, is that right? I can't remember when you said you go back (except I remember that if you get an internship it would be October, which is a bit too late). It would be so great to see you there!

Thank you! Have a good time with your son and brother!

Oh and I read you've all been to Rudy's afterward, I'm sooo jealous I would have loved to go there with all of you!

I have my plane ticket for May 31st, but I love this place to much and definately wish to stay here... But yeah on the other side there are all those Green Day shows in England&France, but I have no ticket so I fear that if I go back to Europe in June, I won't be able to atend any of those shows anyway since I don't have tickets, and I really hate the idea so I'll stop thinking about that right now.

Even if I have no ticket, and if I am in the city in June, I'll come spend some time with you in the line ^^

alaniluau

Wow, it's so weird to be back in 'real life' after that. I much prefer the world where I'm a few feet away from Billie in a dress. :lol: I wrote up a long review, as if anyone cares.

I think going to see Green Day or a side project in a small, intimate setting is every GD fan’s dream. It was mine too, even though I didn’t think it would happen, at least not for a long time. However, some things are simply meant to be, and before I knew it, I was heading down to the East Bay to see Pinhead Gunpowder, one of my favorite bands, at the legendary club 924 Gilman Street. Even better, the show was a benefit for a local cancer patient. Everything seemed so perfect.

I ended up staying at a hotel at the Berkeley Marina (and you better believe I was singing “The Ballad of Wilhelm Fink” the entire time I was there). I got in fairly late on Thursday the 11th. After having dinner at the hotel’s restaurant, which involved my singing of The Network’s “Spike” making a fellow diner rather aggravated, it was time for me to try to sleep. I’m the kind of person who will stay up all night before an exciting event, and this Pinhead concert was going to be no exception. At some point or another, I fell into a deep sleep, which unsurprisingly involved dreams of the boys themselves.

The morning of February 12th couldn’t have come too soon. I woke up bright and early, ready for all that the day would bring. After cruising past Gilman to see an already respectably large gathering, I went over to Rudy’s for breakfast. I had always looked forward to visiting this particular restaurant for obvious reasons. It did not disappoint. If you are ever in the Alameda County vicinity, going to Rudy’s is a must.

Around 10 a.m., I arrived at Gilman and took my place against the outside wall of the famous club. Leaning against those bricks and thinking about everything that has happened inside of there was quite overwhelming. For the first few hours of the wait, I wasn’t feeling well so I bundled myself up in my hoodie and listened to my iPod.

I started feeling a bit better when the sun came out over the cold Berkeley streets. It was about then that I really got into my pre-concert mode. Whenever I attend a concert I’m really looking forward to, I tend to get extremely nervous and I become kind of a hermit, not wanting to talk to anyone or do anything except pace. Pacing is exactly what I did. I paced up and down the sidewalk of Gilman Street,

Eventually, I went back to my spot against the wall. My inhibitions erased by pre-concert buzz, I uncharacteristically struck up a conversation with some random people in line. Pinhead Gunpowder fans have got to be some of the friendliest, most fun people on the planet.

With my line buddies saving my spot, I decided to head across the street to see if some food would calm my nerves. Alas, it did not, but it was an experience nonetheless. The Golden Pyramid Brewery treated all of us fans well throughout the whole day. They let us come in and use their bathrooms without batting an eye. While I was waiting for my meal, I casually listened to the music that was playing in the restaurant. I recognized The Offspring’s “You’re Gonna Go Far, Kid”. Thinking of the pop punk correlation between The Offspring and Green Day, I said something along the lines of, “Wouldn’t it be incredibly perfect if the next song they played was a Green Day song?” All my lucky stars must have been aligned that day because the next music that played from the speakers was the all-too familiar “Welcome to Paradise”. I have rarely related to music more than I did in that moment. It was about that point that I completely lost it. The combination of sleep deprivation, extreme nervousness, and unbearable excitement was set off by that song and I burst into tears. Mind you, I’m usually not a very emotional person, but when it comes to Green Day and associated side projects, I get over the top with feelings. It was in my bawling state that I saw Jerry walking past. Believe it or not, he’s all the more adorable and sweet in person. We talked for a while and I don’t even think he minded me crying all over him. What a cool guy.

The lot of us still had a good few hours to kill until doors would open. I returned to my pacing, and then chose to listen to Green Day’s “21st Century Breakdown”. Some time during “Christian’s Inferno”, Gilman membership cards were passed out. I smiled with satisfaction as I signed my name. I was now a bona fide member of the venue I had always dreamed of visiting. We were ordered into a single file line. I watched in amusement as passerby surveyed us as if they had never seen this large of a gathering outside Gilman. In all fairness, they probably hadn’t.

At long last, when the blanket of night had fallen over the East Bay, the line began to move forward. We were going in! I was excited to catch my first glimpse inside. It was just like I had seen in pictures. There was writing all over the walls and stickers of various punk bands past and present. Pretty much everything after this point was a blur. I’ll attempt to maintain a decent level of accuracy, but bear with me.

I remember being a few rows back from the nonexistent barrier, near the center of the stage. Nothing was really happening yet. The concertgoers were milling around and mingling. Suddenly, a wave of shock swept through the crowd. One by one, the members of Pinhead came walking through, carrying their equipment. I can’t tell you who came first, but I do remember that Billie Joe was greeted by a lot of high-pitched screams. He walked so close to me that I easily could have reached out and touched him. I didn’t, though. One reason being that I was completely paralyzed to be that close to one of my biggest idols, and the other being that I wanted to respect his privacy and let him bring in his equipment. He looked overwhelmed by all the commotion people were making. I had to chuckle at his expression. I was also amused by exactly how tiny he was in person. I always knew Billie was a small guy, but I didn’t realize how much of an understatement that was until he was standing beside me.

Aaron, Jason, and Bill came through as well, though without all the chaos from the masses. The first time I saw Jason up close, I had to catch my breath. That in itself was more than worth the wait.

Dirty Marquee was the first group to hit the stage. They put on an entertaining set. What I really enjoyed about their performance was how passionate they were about helping the girl with cancer. You could tell it totally hit home for them.

There was a brief bit of moshing during Dirty Marquee’s performance that had pushed me up closer to the stage. While the next band was setting up, I amazingly got to the far left edge of the stage, which is where Bill Schneider would later stand. More on that later.

Fleabag was up next. They had one of the same members of the previous band. They were pretty good.

I managed to keep my perfect spot the entire time. I was in awe that I was witnessing bands performing on the same stage that The Influents, Rancid, Green Day, A.F.I., Operation Ivy, and so many other greats had performed on years before. I also got talking to a few really sweet ladies who were standing next to me, one of whom was Abbey from the GDC. Everyone was so friendly!

I knew from the get-go that the next band was going to be interesting, to say the least. Mutoid Men’s costumed members put on a fantastically energetic set. In terms of their style, I would compare them to Devo or even The Network. Their performance was a lot of fun, and the crowd responded with plenty of moshing and crowd surfing. I remained in my little corner, very happy that my knees were pressed against the stage.

It was around the time Mutoid Men were done that I got a visit from a surprise visitor. Aaron Cometbus slipped right past me and hopped on stage to grab something. Needless to say, it was a bit of a thrill to see him up close. He looked like a very friendly person.

Grass Widow, an all-girl trio that was the last band before Pinhead Gunpowder, played through a fairly lengthy set. It was their first time at Gilman and I think they were received well.

When they left the stage, the room quickly became much more tense and excited. We all knew what was coming next. The crowd began pressing forward, pushing me against the stage. It seemed like we had to wait hours for out heroes to arrive, but I’m sure it couldn’t have been that long.

Around 11 p.m., Bill and Aaron made their way onto the stage, both climbing past me so close that they touched me. Bill was right in front of me, which was very surreal.

A few minutes later, I remember looking out into the crowd just a few rows behind me and seeing Jason and Adrienne standing there chatting, each in their own respective beauty. They hugged each other, which I thought was really sweet. Jason then had to get on stage, and as he climbed past me, my hands brushed against his magical red pants. I felt like a very privileged individual.

With 3/4 of the much-anticipated band on stage and ready to go, we were left waiting for Billie Joe to make an appearance. I wondered how he was going to get through the very wound up crowd without mass hysteria.

While everyone was waiting for Mr. Armstrong, the rest of the boys were setting up on stage. There were a few security guys, as well as a petite girl wearing an Adeline hoodie over a dress. She was busy helping Jason setting up the guitars. It wasn’t until she turned around that I recognized her sparkling green eyes and messy black hair. Billie was in drag! The crowd slowly began to realize what was happening. The club was soon filled with screams of excitement and loud applause. I was pushed even harder against the stage, and I loved every minute of it.

It took the boys a few more minutes to get finish getting ready. Jason was saying, “Check, check…” into the microphone, which didn’t appear to be working. There was an awkward moment when the band came to the conclusion that something had to be done if this show was to go smoothly. Making a quick decision, Billie and Jason began a Green Day-style sing-a-long while the Gilman crew tried desperately to get the mics working.

I believe the first song was “My Boot In Your Face Is What Keeps Me Alive”, a number whose title is nearly longer than the song itself. Billie sang a line or two, then held the mic out to the audience and guided us through the rest. I loudly sang every word. There’s something so satisfying about yelling, “Was it ever a good idea? Was it really necessary?” Everybody in the room was wrapped up in their separate lives, yet this song made sense to everyone in that moment. It was a huge moment of release for me.

“Find My Place” and “Achin’ to Be” were performed in the same style. “Find My Place” is one of my favorite songs of all time. Every line absolutely touches me perfectly. It is one of my anthems, and hearing and singing it just a few short feet from Billie and Aaron is something I still can’t wrap my head around.

Jason took over the position of leading the swarm for a great cover of “Achin’ to Be”. He really has a knack for being a frontman. I wish he could have the chance to spend more time as the lead.

At around that time, Billie had had enough of the sing-a-longs and since the Gilman crew couldn’t fix the mics, he decided to do it himself. After all, Gilman was practically his second home. He knew how to work that sound system. Sure enough, when he came back on stage and spoke into the microphone, we could hear. Everyone cheered, knowing that we could finally enjoy the show.

I don’t remember much about Pinhead’s performance. I couldn’t tell you which song was played first with the full band or anything. What I really remember is the energy that filled the club. I can guarantee you that every single person in that building, including the boys themselves, was absolutely pumped to be there. This was the experience of a lifetime and we knew it. The moshing was intense. It gave me such a thrill to be pressed against the stage, jumping and singing along with one of my favorite bands.

There were so many moments in the show when I felt this odd feeling that I can’t really articulate. I felt like I had a connection with everyone on stage and in the room. No matter what had happened in the past, and no matter what might happen in the future, we were all there together having one of the best nights of our lives. I have never rocked, moshed, screamed, jumped, or sang as much as I did then. It was incredibly special.

I can recall completely freaking out for “Reach for the Bottle”, “MPLS Song”, “West Side Highway” and so many others. I was gradually pushed up onto the stage by the insane pit. I sat there, leaning against Bill Schneider’s leg, on the same stage as Pinhead Gunpowder. A few moments that particularly stand out include the sheer energy of “Cabot Gal”, the uncontrollable reaction to “Second Street”, which included me screaming at Jason throughout the whole song (he glanced at me at during the “Did you save a place in your bed for me?” part), Billie’s manic strumming during “Anniversary Song”, Billie welcoming us all to 924 Gilman Street, me pointing at Jason during the “I’m gonna kiss you” part in an amazing version of “Asheville”, Billie smiling at me during part of “I Used To”, Jason’s sexy scream during “Before the Accident”, and so many other small things that made February 12th possibly the best night of my life.

Billie played the entire show in his dress, which pleasantly revealed a lot of his chest tattoos. During the Van Morrison part of “Beastly Bit”, I smiled at Billie and yelled “My green haired girl,” at him. At some point in the show, if my ears did not deceive me, Jason played a little bit of David Bowie’s “Ziggy Stardust”. Bill and Aaron were completely energetic and into the music. Early on in the show, someone in the audience yelled “Billie Joe for president!”, which Billie rolled his eyes at. A couple songs later, someone else suggested, “Billie Joe for first lady!”, which he was very amused by.

Lauren, who sings the female part in “On the Ave.”, was pulled up to perform when it was time. I must admit that I much prefer version two of said song and I was hoping for Billie rather than Lauren.

Since I was literally sitting on the stage with my legs hanging over the side, I could see the setlist and I knew what was going to be performed. That was a real treat. The show passed in a blur. Everything went way too quickly for my liking.

When the band started playing “Landlords”, the security guard beckoned for me to get off stage. I was a bit disappointed, as I was more than content with my position, but I wanted to respect his wishes. “Stagedive?” I asked, being aware of the very adamant “NO STAGEDIVING” signs that decorated the club. He nodded. After rather lovingly patting Bill’s foot, I stood up and took one of the best jumps of my life. I’d never done any stagediving or crowd surfing before, but it was one of the coolest things a person can do. I was passed around for just a few short moments until I was dropped on my feet a few rows back. The moshing was a lot less intense back there. I pumped my fist to the anthem, “Losers of the Year” and loudly yelled my favorite line, “It’s been years, yeah it’s been years since anybody’s called me by that naaaaaaaaame.”

By that time, the band was finishing up the last couple songs of the set. I was pushed to the left, only to fall on Adrienne Armstrong! I was completely stunned to be standing right beside someone who I consider to be one of the most beautiful people in the world. Pictures do not do her justice. She was absolutely gorgeous. I briefly put my arm around her and gave her thumbs up. She smiled at me, and then went back to watching Pinhead Gunpowder. I noticed she was mouthing every word. It surprised me that she was genuinely happy to see Billie, complete in women’s clothing, perform after all the years they’ve been together and all the shows she’s been to. The way she looked at him was pretty indescribable. Billie and Adrienne have got to be one of the best couples of all time.

The wonderful set closer “Mahogany” was phenomenal. It summed up the entire night excellently. As the last chord faded out, the crowd roared into applause that was quite surprising for such a relatively small group. I stepped outside into the night air, refreshed by the cool breeze. In all honesty, I can’t say I was particularly happy at that point. Everything seemed like an impossible dream. I didn’t believe any of it had actually happened. I was kind of numb.

Billie came out and talked to some people for a while, which was sweet of him. I stood next to Aaron for quite a long time. He was also mingling with the fans. I said goodbye to a few people, and just like that, it was all over.

Back at the hotel was when it actually hit me that I had just seen Pinhead Gunpowder. Of course I started crying, overwhelmed by the day. It had been such a successful benefit. I was proud of Pinhead for stepping up to play. They didn’t have to do that, but they did. They did what was right. They brought the community together to rally for one of their own. I’ve rarely been prouder of Billie and company. It was a reminder to me of why I do this, why I love this band so much. How could you not?

When I saw Green Day in Sacramento in August 2009, I never thought I would see a better show as long as I live. My thoughts on that have changed since I saw Pinhead Gunpowder.

The entire experience was something I’ll never forget. From eating at Rudy’s to touching Jason White, it was all part of a day I’ll never forget as long as I live. I am a hardcore Pinhead Gunpowder fan and I firmly believe they are one of the most spectacular bands in the world. They played one of the best shows I will ever see, and they did it without any pyro, stadiums, or “hey-ohs”. All they had was a lot of talent, a strong fan base, and a little black dress.

Hermione
@ Joy Of Suburbia:

Thank you for sharing your story...I couldn't afford to go this time & your recap let me imagine what it was like. I was at the 2008 gig...I made my peace with God that day because I thought I was going to die there. Was in the front row lying on the stage & it was scary and HOT and religious all at the same time.

WHEW! Billie Joe was talked into wearing the dress...that makes me feel a little better. LOL. Even though he looked "pretty"...there something about a guy in a dress that screams sissy...which is OK, but not a trait that I am completely comfortable with. I guess I like manly queers. LOL

He's worn dresses plenty of times before, I don't think it takes that much persuading :wink:

I don't think Billie will feel that bad about screaming (if that's what we're on about) adoring crowds aren''t exactly the worst result for a rock star.

Yeah I'm pretty sure he must be well used to it by now.......plus he was wearing a bloody dress for god's sake :lol:. I think people are making way too big a fuss about this.

Thanks for all the recaps :happy:

greendaytone

That was a fantastic read, thanks for taking the time to post it. I'm glad you had such a memorable night!

Daughter.of.Rage.and.Love

Thanks everyone for the reviews (and pictures and videos), they were all really nice to read. (:

Tubbie Head

OMG, I have so much to read today!! =DD

Thanks for the reviews people!

drumstick

thanks everybody for awesome reviews! :D

i know this is random but why did Billie wear the dress

I hope is was for a good cause

either way it was still sick

Billie was bride and Jason groom :lol:

amy_runs
Wow, it's so weird to be back in 'real life' after that. I much prefer the world where I'm a few feet away from Billie in a dress. :lol: I wrote up a long review, as if anyone cares.

Ahhhhh that was amazing! I got the chills :wub:

-Nemesis-

Awesome, thank you!

norcalgreendayfan

I think going to see Green Day or a side project in a small, intimate setting is every GD fan’s dream. It was mine too, even though I didn’t think it would happen, at least not for a long time. However, some things are simply meant to be, and before I knew it, I was heading down to the East Bay to see Pinhead Gunpowder, one of my favorite bands, at the legendary club 924 Gilman Street. Even better, the show was a benefit for a local cancer patient. Everything seemed so perfect.

I ended up staying at a hotel at the Berkeley Marina (and you better believe I was singing “The Ballad of Wilhelm Fink” the entire time I was there). I got in fairly late on Thursday the 11th. After having dinner at the hotel’s restaurant, which involved my singing of The Network’s “Spike” making a fellow diner rather aggravated, it was time for me to try to sleep. I’m the kind of person who will stay up all night before an exciting event, and this Pinhead concert was going to be no exception. At some point or another, I fell into a deep sleep, which unsurprisingly involved dreams of the boys themselves

The morning of February 12th couldn’t have come too soon. I woke up bright and early, ready for all that the day would bring. After cruising past Gilman to see an already respectably large gathering, I went over to Rudy’s for breakfast. I had always looked forward to visiting this particular restaurant for obvious reasons. It did not disappoint. If you are ever in the Alameda County vicinity, going to Rudy’s is a must.

Around 10 a.m., I arrived at Gilman and took my place against the outside wall of the famous club. Leaning against those bricks and thinking about everything that has happened inside of there was quite overwhelming. For the first few hours of the wait, I wasn’t feeling well so I bundled myself up in my hoodie and listened to my iPod.

I started feeling a bit better when the sun came out over the cold Berkeley streets. It was about then that I really got into my pre-concert mode. Whenever I attend a concert I’m really looking forward to, I tend to get extremely nervous and I become kind of a hermit, not wanting to talk to anyone or do anything except pace. Pacing is exactly what I did. I paced up and down the sidewalk of Gilman Street,

Eventually, I went back to my spot against the wall. My inhibitions erased by pre-concert buzz, I uncharacteristically struck up a conversation with some random people in line. Pinhead Gunpowder fans have got to be some of the friendliest, most fun people on the planet.

With my line buddies saving my spot, I decided to head across the street to see if some food would calm my nerves. Alas, it did not, but it was an experience nonetheless. The Golden Pyramid Brewery treated all of us fans well throughout the whole day. They let us come in and use their bathrooms without batting an eye. While I was waiting for my meal, I casually listened to the music that was playing in the restaurant. I recognized The Offspring’s “You’re Gonna Go Far, Kid”. Thinking of the pop punk correlation between The Offspring and Green Day, I said something along the lines of, “Wouldn’t it be incredibly perfect if the next song they played was a Green Day song?” All my lucky stars must have been aligned that day because the next music that played from the speakers was the all-too familiar “Welcome to Paradise”. I have rarely related to music more than I did in that moment. It was about that point that I completely lost it. The combination of sleep deprivation, extreme nervousness, and unbearable excitement was set off by that song and I burst into tears. Mind you, I’m usually not a very emotional person, but when it comes to Green Day and associated side projects, I get over the top with feelings. It was in my bawling state that I saw Jerry walking past. Believe it or not, he’s all the more adorable and sweet in person. We talked for a while and I don’t even think he minded me crying all over him. What a cool guy.

The lot of us still had a good few hours to kill until doors would open. I returned to my pacing, and then chose to listen to Green Day’s “21st Century Breakdown”. Some time during “Christian’s Inferno”, Gilman membership cards were passed out. I smiled with satisfaction as I signed my name. I was now a bona fide member of the venue I had always

dreamed of visiting. We were ordered into a single file line. I watched in amusement as passerby surveyed us as if they had never seen this large of a gathering outside Gilman. In all fairness, they probably hadn’t.

At long last, when the blanket of night had fallen over the East Bay, the line began to move forward. We were going in! I was excited to catch my first glimpse inside. It was just like I had seen in pictures. There was writing all over the walls and stickers of various punk bands past and present. Pretty much everything after this point was a blur. I’ll attempt to maintain a decent level of accuracy, but bear with me.

I remember being a few rows back from the nonexistent barrier, near the center of the stage. Nothing was really happening yet. The concertgoers were milling around and mingling. Suddenly, a wave of shock swept through the

crowd. One by one, the members of Pinhead came walking through, carrying their equipment. I can’t tell you who came first, but I do remember that Billie Joe was greeted by a lot of high-pitched screams. He walked so close to me that I easily could have reached out and touched him. I didn’t, though. One reason being that I was completely paralyzed to be that close to one of my biggest idols, and the other being that I wanted to respect his privacy and let him bring in his equipment. He looked overwhelmed by all the commotion people were making. I had to chuckle at his expression. I was also amused by exactly how tiny he was in person. I always knew Billie was a small guy, but I didn’t realize how much of an understatement that was until he was standing beside me.

Aaron, Jason, and Bill came through as well, though without all the chaos from the masses. The first time I saw Jason up close, I had to catch my breath. That in itself was more than worth the wait.

Dirty Marquee was the first group to hit the stage. They put on an entertaining set. What I really enjoyed about their performance was how passionate they were about helping the girl with cancer. You could tell it totally hit home for them.

There was a brief bit of moshing during Dirty Marquee’s performance that had pushed me up closer to the stage. While

the next band was setting up, I amazingly got to the far left edge of the stage, which is where Bill Schneider would later stand. More on that later.

Fleabag was up next. They had one of the same members of the previous band. They were pretty good.

I managed to keep my perfect spot the entire time. I was in awe that I was witnessing bands performing on the same stage that The Influents, Rancid, Green Day, A.F.I., Operation Ivy, and so many other greats had performed on years before. I also got talking to a few really sweet ladies who were standing next to me, one of whom was Abbey from the GDC. Everyone was so friendly!

I knew from the get-go that the next band was going to be interesting, to say the least. Mutoid Men’s costumed members put on a fantastically energetic set. In terms of their style, I would compare them to Devo or even The Network. Their performance was a lot of fun, and the crowd responded with plenty of moshing and crowd surfing. I remained in my little corner, very happy that my knees were pressed against the stage.

It was around the time Mutoid Men were done that I got a visit from a surprise visitor. Aaron Cometbus slipped right past me and hopped on stage to grab something. Needless to say, it was a bit of a thrill to see him up close. He looked like a very friendly person.

Grass Widow, an all-girl trio that was the last band before Pinhead Gunpowder, played through a fairly lengthy set. It was their first time at Gilman and I think they were received well.

When they left the stage, the room quickly became much more tense and excited. We all knew what was coming next. The crowd began pressing forward, pushing me against the stage. It seemed like we had to wait hours for out heroes to arrive, but I’m sure it couldn’t have been that long.

Around 11 p.m., Bill and Aaron made their way onto the stage, both climbing past me so close that they touched me.

Bill was right in front of me, which was very surreal.

A few minutes later, I remember looking out into the crowd just a few rows behind me and seeing Jason and Adrienne standing there chatting, each in their own respective beauty. They hugged each other, which I thought was really sweet. Jason then had to get on stage, and as he climbed past me, my hands brushed against his magical red pants. I felt like a very privileged individual.

With 3/4 of the much-anticipated band on stage and ready to go, we were left waiting for Billie Joe to make an appearance. I wondered how he was going to get through the very wound up crowd without mass hysteria.

While everyone was waiting for Mr. Armstrong, the rest of the boys were setting up on stage. There were a few security guys, as well as a petite girl wearing an Adeline hoodie over a dress. She was busy helping Jason setting up the guitars. It wasn’t until she turned around that I recognized her sparkling green eyes and messy black hair. Billie was in drag! The crowd slowly began to realize what was happening. The club was soon filled with screams of excitement and loud applause. I was pushed even harder against the stage, and I loved every minute of it.

It took the boys a few more minutes to get finish getting ready. Jason was saying, “Check, check…” into the microphone, which didn’t appear to be working. There was an awkward moment when the band came to the conclusion that something had to be done if this show was to go smoothly. Making a quick decision, Billie and Jason began a Green Day-style sing-a-long while the Gilman crew tried desperately to get the mics working.

I believe the first song was “My Boot In Your Face Is What Keeps Me Alive”, a number whose title is nearly longer than the song itself. Billie sang a line or two, then held the mic out to the audience and guided us through the rest. I loudly

sang every word. There’s something so satisfying about yelling, “Was it ever a good idea? Was it really necessary?” Everybody in the room was wrapped up in their separate lives, yet this song made sense to everyone in that moment. It was a huge moment of release for me.

“Find My Place” and “Achin’ to Be” were performed in the same style. “Find My Place” is one of my favorite songs of all time. Every line absolutely touches me perfectly. It is one of my anthems, and hearing and singing it just a few short feet from Billie and Aaron is something I still can’t wrap my head around.

Jason took over the position of leading the swarm for a great cover of “Achin’ to Be”. He really has a knack for being a frontman. I wish he could have the chance to spend more time as the lead.

At around that time, Billie had had enough of the sing-a-longs and since the Gilman crew couldn’t fix the mics, he decided to do it himself. After all, Gilman was practically his second home. He knew how to work that sound system. Sure enough, when he came back on stage and spoke into the microphone, we could hear. Everyone cheered, knowing that we could finally enjoy the show.

I don’t remember much about Pinhead’s performance. I couldn’t tell you which song was played first with the full band or anything. What I really remember is the energy that filled the club. I can guarantee you that every single person in

that building, including the boys themselves, was absolutely pumped to be there. This was the experience of a lifetime and we knew it. The moshing was intense. It gave me such a thrill to be pressed against the stage, jumping and singing along with one of my favorite bands.

There were so many moments in the show when I felt this odd feeling that I can’t really articulate. I felt like I had a connection with everyone on stage and in the room. No matter what had happened in the past, and no matter what might happen in the future, we were all there together having one of the best nights of our lives. I have never rocked, moshed, screamed, jumped, or sang as much as I did then. It was incredibly special.

I can recall completely freaking out for “Reach for the Bottle”, “MPLS Song”, “West Side Highway” and so many others. I was gradually pushed up onto the stage by the insane pit. I sat there, leaning against Bill Schneider’s leg, on the same stage as Pinhead Gunpowder. A few moments that particularly stand out include the sheer energy of “Cabot Gal”, the uncontrollable reaction to “Second Street”, which included me screaming at Jason throughout the whole song (he glanced at me at during the “Did you save a place in your bed for me?” part), Billie’s manic strumming during “Anniversary Song”, Billie welcoming us all to 924 Gilman Street, me pointing at Jason during the “I’m gonna kiss you” part in an amazing version of “Asheville”, Billie smiling at me during part of “I Used To”, Jason’s sexy scream during “Before the Accident”, and so many other small things that made February 12th possibly the best night of my life.

Billie played the entire show in his dress, which pleasantly revealed a lot of his chest tattoos. During the Van Morrison part of “Beastly Bit”, I smiled at Billie and yelled “My green haired girl,” at him. At some point in the show, if my ears did not deceive me, Jason played a little bit of David Bowie’s “Ziggy Stardust”. Bill and Aaron were completely energetic and into the music. Early on in the show, someone in the audience yelled “Billie Joe for president!”, which Billie rolled his eyes at. A couple songs later, someone else suggested, “Billie Joe for first lady!”, which he was very amused by.

Lauren, who sings the female part in “On the Ave.”, was pulled up to perform when it was time. I must admit that I much prefer version two of said song and I was hoping for Billie rather than Lauren.

Since I was literally sitting on the stage with my legs hanging over the side, I could see the setlist and I knew what was going to be performed. That was a real treat. The show passed in a blur. Everything went way too quickly for my liking.

When the band started playing “Landlords”, the security guard beckoned for me to get off stage. I was a bit disappointed, as I was more than content with my position, but I wanted to respect his wishes. “Stagedive?” I asked, being aware of the very adamant “NO STAGEDIVING” signs that decorated the club. He nodded. After rather lovingly patting Bill’s foot, I stood up and took one of the best jumps of my life. I’d never done any stagediving or crowd surfing before, but it was one of the coolest things a person can do. I was passed around for just a few short moments until I was dropped on my feet a few rows back. The moshing was a lot less intense back there. I pumped my fist to the anthem, “Losers of the Year” and loudly yelled my favorite line, “It’s been years, yeah it’s been years since anybody’s called me by that naaaaaaaaame.”

By that time, the band was finishing up the last couple songs of the set. I was pushed to the left, only to fall on Adrienne Armstrong! I was completely stunned to be standing right beside someone who I consider to be one of the

most beautiful people in the world. Pictures do not do her justice. She was absolutely gorgeous. I briefly put my arm around her and gave her thumbs up. She smiled at me, and then went back to watching Pinhead Gunpowder. I noticed she was mouthing every word. It surprised me that she was genuinely happy to see Billie, complete in women’s clothing, perform after all the years they’ve been together and all the shows she’s been to. The way she looked at him was pretty indescribable. Billie and Adrienne have got to be one of the best couples of all time.

The wonderful set closer “Mahogany” was phenomenal. It summed up the entire night excellently. As the last chord faded out, the crowd roared into applause that was quite surprising for such a relatively small group. I stepped outside into the night air, refreshed by the cool breeze. In all honesty, I can’t say I was particularly happy at that point. Everything seemed like an impossible dream. I didn’t believe any of it had actually happened. I was kind of numb.

Billie came out and talked to some people for a while, which was sweet of him. I stood next to Aaron for quite a long time. He was also mingling with the fans. I said goodbye to a few people, and just like that, it was all over.

Back at the hotel was when it actually hit me that I had just seen Pinhead Gunpowder. Of course I started crying, overwhelmed by the day. It had been such a successful benefit. I was proud of Pinhead for stepping up to play. They didn’t have to do that, but they did. They did what was right. They brought the community together to rally for one of their own. I’ve rarely been prouder of Billie and company. It was a reminder to me of why I do this, why I love this band so much. How could you not?

When I saw Green Day in Sacramento in August 2009, I never thought I would see a better show as long as I live. My thoughts on that have changed since I saw Pinhead Gunpowder.

The entire experience was something I’ll never forget. From eating at Rudy’s to touching Jason White, it was all part of a day I’ll never forget as long as I live. I am a hardcore Pinhead Gunpowder fan and I firmly believe they are one of the most spectacular bands in the world. They played one of the best shows I will ever see, and they did it without any pyro, stadiums, or “hey-ohs”. All they had was a lot of talent, a strong fan base, and a little black dress.

Awesome review I loved hearing all about your perspective and the fun you had

karma1215
thanks everybody for awesome reviews! :D

Billie was bride and Jason groom :lol:

Billie was just experimenting... trying to get in touch with his feminine side. He got pointers for the dress but he forgot to wear his guyliner...go figure :/

Prisca

Wonderful review Liz! :woot:

gdpony

Wow ... that review was amazing! it really transmitted all your emotions about the show :D, Im glad that everyone seemed to have a great time :) ... I love the fact that even though it was a rather small show compared to a green day one, everyone had a great time , cause it was about the music and the experience, and not only cause it was biilie joe up there

neverttheless... billie and his dress are quite stunning! :woot:

umbjisfhinefum

i am so incredibly lucky i heard about this in time to get there.

was there at five in the morning and ended up on stage with billie about 4 feet away from him.

there will never be another night like this one.

Anja
I still have my stamp on my wrist. Looks like 824 GILMAN. I'll see what it says tomorrow because I am too tired to shower today. Too tired to get out bed. This is all Anja's fault...:)

It was my pleasure Erin :wub:

If I couldn't go, YOU had to go for me! I'm glad you had a great time and Kelly as well of course! Next time, we're going together! :)

parinaz

can someone plz upload a video of when billie's playing that little piano(i dunno what was that exactly)?

**nobodylikesyou**

Ok that was insane. I need a few days to read thru this thread and the recaps!!!

pictures067.jpg

-Nemesis-
Ok that was insane. I need a few days to read thru this thread and the recaps!!!

pictures067.jpg

Oh this photo looks GREAT! I'm glad it does cause I was not sure of the result when I took it :huh:

**nobodylikesyou**
Oh this photo looks GREAT! I'm glad it does cause I was not sure of the result when I took it :huh:

you did a great job!! THANK YOU so much for doing that for us. ♥

there were so many of us there, I kinda felt like it was a private show for us.

and I just wanna say

AARON COMETBUS comes across as a reverse elitist. AND he can F off. I have NO respect for that man.

Metanoia

and I just wanna say

AARON COMETBUS comes across as a reverse elitist. AND he can F off. I have NO respect for that man.

why do you think about him that way ? what did he do ?

PasalacquaBomb

Dunno if that has been posted yet but I don't want to search through 46 sites :lol:

While I was searchin for PHGP pics I came across this.

Another question. Are there any audio or video recordings of this concert?

**nobodylikesyou**

^that was from 08.

and yes gilman recorded it.

TORI were you there???

Hanner

and I just wanna say

thank you! someone agrees with me.

Sign in to follow this