Green Day May Get Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame Nod

Sanity Loan

Alright how about this:

Green Day and RHCP are both highly influential bands and shouldn't be compared.

Good?

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alright how about this:

Green Day and RHCP are both highly influential bands and shouldn't be compared.

Good?

That's totally missing the point, though.

After reading this, I have a few comments:

1. I don't think Green Day really need a big hit to get in first ballot. I'm sure they might have one of two more popular songs left in the tank, but I don't think they need anything else to get in.

2. I really don't think sales matter too much. A lot of great bands haven't sold many records and gotten into the Hall of Fame. While Green Day isn't as influential as, say, the Ramones, I'd say they're up there in terms of influence in the past 25 years.

3. Although I do like RHCP and agree that they are an excellent band, I do think Green Day was more influential. I think that if I mentioned Green Day to a group, I'd get a lot of heartfelt (whether love or hatred) responses, where I think RHCP are pretty neutral. I think Green Day have higher career peaks than RHCP, but RHCP have maintained a constant popularity.

After reading this, I have a few comments:

1. I don't think Green Day really need a big hit to get in first ballot. I'm sure they might have one of two more popular songs left in the tank, but I don't think they need anything else to get in.

2. I really don't think sales matter too much. A lot of great bands haven't sold many records and gotten into the Hall of Fame. While Green Day isn't as influential as, say, the Ramones, I'd say they're up there in terms of influence in the past 25 years.

3. Although I do like RHCP and agree that they are an excellent band, I do think Green Day was more influential. I think that if I mentioned Green Day to a group, I'd get a lot of heartfelt (whether love or hatred) responses, where I think RHCP are pretty neutral. I think Green Day have higher career peaks than RHCP, but RHCP have maintained a constant popularity.

Alot of bands don't get in first time

And what career peaks do you speak of?

Alot of bands don't get in first time

And what career peaks do you speak of?

Dookie and American Idiot

Dookie and American Idiot

Ok...

I don't think this shit a big deal who cares if GD makes it in the HOF is complete bullshit and makes up their rules out their ass (look at the Nirvana being inducted as prime example...)

Gn'R are in the Hall of Fame. They got in last year and Green Day were the one's that inducted them.

I'm pretty sure the Red Hot Chili Peppers are in it too.

I don't think they should change the rules. Unfair to a bunch of bands who have yet to get in.

Green Day will get in when they're elligible, which I think is next year, or the other! No doubt about that!

Gn'R are in the Hall of Fame. They got in last year and Green Day were the one's that inducted them.

I'm pretty sure the Red Hot Chili Peppers are in it too.

I don't think they should change the rules. Unfair to a bunch of bands who have yet to get in.

Green Day will get in when they're elligible, which I think is next year, or the other! No doubt about that!

They say they induct every member who's ever been apart of the band as far as albums

But yet they are inducting Nirvana this year but they've said they are not inducting Chad Channing who was their drummer on their first album and first EP (AND was the drummer who wrote nearly 90% of Nevermind's drum parts and performed on Polly) Chad was the drummer for the album that even is making Nirvana eligible to be inducted this year instead of 2016... (As much as I love Nirvana but they only got in their first year cause of this is also the 20th year of Kurt's death....)

I really wouldn't like GD to be inducted on a rule change.

Oh I wasn't saying GD would make it on a rule change I was meaning the HOF itself is just a BS thing that it doesn't even follow their rules and guidelines

I really wouldn't like GD to be inducted on a rule change.

What rule change are we talking about?

All I know for sure is, when they are abducted I will be there. :)

What rule change are we talking about?

I think my bashing of the HOF and there not following their rules/guidelines got crossed up

As much as I love green day there's so many other bands that should get in before them. Just because they've hit the 25 year acceptance doesn't mean they should get in straight away. I mean rush, iron maiden or Judas priest aren't even in it yet?? I don't particularly like those bands but I respect them for what they've done and how long they've lasted.

It's not Green Day's fault the Hall of Fame have snubbed so many deserving artists.

I think that, just like Nirvana, they'll get in first ballot.

Sadly, some equally great bands, like the one's you mentioned, might never get in.

But Rush is in there, I'm pretty sure!

They say they induct every member who's ever been apart of the band as far as albums

But yet they are inducting Nirvana this year but they've said they are not inducting Chad Channing who was their drummer on their first album and first EP (AND was the drummer who wrote nearly 90% of Nevermind's drum parts and performed on Polly) Chad was the drummer for the album that even is making Nirvana eligible to be inducted this year instead of 2016... (As much as I love Nirvana but they only got in their first year cause of this is also the 20th year of Kurt's death....)

I'm with you on that. But, sadly, I don't think many people even know who Chad Channing is!

On that same note, will John Kiffmeyer, aka "Al Sobrante", also get in when Green Day gets in?

It's not Green Day's fault the Hall of Fame have snubbed so many deserving artists.

I think that, just like Nirvana, they'll get in first ballot.

Sadly, some equally great bands, like the one's you mentioned, might never get in.

But Rush is in there, I'm pretty sure!

I'm with you on that. But, sadly, I don't think many people even know who Chad Channing is!

On that same note, will John Kiffmeyer, aka "Al Sobrante", also get in when Green Day gets in?

If they are not letting Chad in who was apart of a group longer than John was what makes you think they'd do John more people know who Chad Channing (as he does do a lot of interviews about Nirvana) than John is known...

I don't see GD making it first round we can't say well Nirvana I think Nirvana is only making it due to Kurt's 20th year of being dead is the only reason they got in first time but if they do that's good for them not mad

Although I do like RHCP and agree that they are an excellent band, I do think Green Day was more influential. I think that if I mentioned Green Day to a group, I'd get a lot of heartfelt (whether love or hatred) responses, where I think RHCP are pretty neutral. I think Green Day have higher career peaks than RHCP, but RHCP have maintained a constant popularity.

I think that's quite biased to be honest. I've honestly never known anyone not respond to the mention of RHCP with either absolute adoration or total disdain. Their core fanbase is just as insane and devoted as that of Green Day, it's just that we see far more of the latter, this being GDC and all. While Green Day have had Dookie and American Idiot, RHCP have had Blood Sugar Sex Magik, Californication and By The Way, so their peaks have arguably been at least on a par with Green Day.

Which artists have been snubbed, though? You can't possibly say, because the rule is at least 25 years after their first release, it's not a prerequisite that everyone will get in as soon as the 25 years is up. Anyone who's not in yet who we think should be will get in within a few years, I'm sure. Just look at Rush, as you say. Anyway, the Hall Of Fame have actually been criticised for letting too many artists in; 97 in 15 years. It doesn't even seem like you have to be particularly influential any more, just sell a lot of records and 25 years later you're in.

All I know for sure is, when they are abducted I will be there. :)

You really want to make yourself an accessory to kidnapping?

So as to not derail the discussion, who else is eligible in 2015? I wouldn't be surprised to see GD having to wait a few years before they're selected.

You really want to make yourself an accessory to kidnapping?

So as to not derail the discussion, who else is eligible in 2015? I wouldn't be surprised to see GD having to wait a few years before they're selected.

Garth Brooks NIN Tom Petty I forget the others

I think Brooks is a for sure shoe in

Nine Inch Nails, Pavement, Garth Brooks, Bob Mould, Dream Theater, Alan Jackson, Jawbreaker, Lenny Kravitz, Manic Street Preachers, Barenaked Ladies, Queen Latifah, Gang Starr, Gin Blossoms, Superchunk, Ani DiFranco. I really think Manic Street Preachers should be in there but I can't see it happening since they never broke America.

That's a pretty good list. I bet NIN gets in relatively soon, if not in their first year. For my wife and I, GD and Ani Difranco in the same year would have us fangirling all the way to Cleveland.

Nine Inch Nails, Pavement, Garth Brooks, Bob Mould, Dream Theater, Alan Jackson, Jawbreaker, Lenny Kravitz, Manic Street Preachers, Barenaked Ladies, Queen Latifah, Gang Starr, Gin Blossoms, Superchunk, Ani DiFranco. I really think Manic Street Preachers should be in there but I can't see it happening since they never broke America.

Queen Latifah :lol:

By "snubbed" I meant been elligible for a few years and haven't even made the ballot.

Of course being influencial is important, sale are too...just being around for 25 years doesn't guarrantee admittance.

A couple of examples of snubbs by the Hall: Cheap Trick, The Cure, New York Dolls.

All three bands are very influential and had some, or a lot of, success. All three of them been elligible for over 10 years. Cheap Trick never made the ballot. Cure and NYD made it once each.

And that's only three bands, there's loads more.

All that said, I still think Green Day will get in first ballot.

Even though they're not at their best right now because of the god awful last record (Trilogy).

I feel like I'm the only one who really wants those boys in the hall of fame. :lol:

How are tickets sold to the public for the Hall of Fame as a matter of interest.

They're available from Ticketmaster usually. Tickets for this year's ceremony ranged from $66-576.

Archived