Green Day May Get Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame Nod

Sanity Loan

They deserve to be inducted more than anyone in my opinion but, I can just see the wank and bullshit that will be thrown at them though should they get nominated and inducted as they always seem to get :S

Johnny Rotten said : "So there we are fending off all that and it pisses me off that years later a wank outfit like Green Day hop in and nick all that and attach it to themselves. They didn't earn their wings to do that and if they were true punk they wouldn't look anything like they do."

and Billie answered : "Sometimes I think we've become totally redundant because we're this big band now, we've made a lot of money – we're not punk rock any more. But then I think about it and just say, 'You can take us out of a punk rock environment, but you can't take the punk rock out of us.'"

Green Day always had its haters as other bands but i think they will go forward no matter what will happen...

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think yes. (but I can't compare with the other eligible, I dont know if there's the list or whatever)

I really hope they get the recognition they deserve, what an amazing day that will be for Green Day fans. So far we've seen Billie Joe personally induct the Stooges and Guns N Roses, and perform the Ramones covers before that...and to see them being celebrated the same way they celebrated those bands would be a great event, I think.

Don't we already have this thread somewhere?

There is a thread with speculation about it but since this one has a site where you can vote on whether you think they will or not in the OP I decided to leave it. The other one is like 3 years old as well.

It's very soon!!

What is? The one where GD is eligible is not until 2015... not soon at all...

You can go on a web-site which i posted you can vote and also see all eligibles by years .

OKAY here is the list of bands and artists who will be eligible in 2014 (2015 ceremony)

3rd Bass, After 7, Alan Jackson, Alannah Myles, Ani DiFranco, Athiest, Babes in Toyland, Barenaked Ladies, Beautiful South, Better Than Ezra, Big Head Todd and the Monsters, Bob Mould, Buffalo Tom, Cathy Dennis, Cherry Poppin' Daddies, Christopher Williams, Clive Griffin, Dangerous Toys, DJ Magic Mike, Doro, Dream Theater, Enuff Z'nuff, Evildead, Extreme, Gang Starr, Garth Brooks, Gin Blossoms, Green Day, Jane Child, Jawbreaker, Jesus Jones, Lenny Kravitz, Lush, Manic Street Preachers, Maria McKee, Masta Ace, Michael Penn, Mother Love Bone, Mr. Big, Neneh Cherry, Nine Inch Nails, No Use for a Name, Obituary, The Ocean Blue, The Orb, Ottmar Liebert, Pavement, Phantom Blue, Porcupine Tree, Queen Latifah, Sarah McLachlan, Saraya, Sebadoh, Selena, Shakespear's Sister, Sick of It All, Skid Row, Slint, The Sundays, Superchunk, Technotronic, Texas, Toad the Wet Sprocket, Tom Petty, Unsane, Urge Overkill, Warrant, XYZ, Young MC

Well, I can definitely see Dream Theater, Lenny Kravitz, Garth Brooks, Tom Petty, Manic Street Preachers, and NIN getting in.

I'd love to see Jawbreaker, Babes in Toyland and Porcupine Tree get in but that'll most likely never happen.

Yes because the 2015 induction ceremony will be in Cleveland again and I can actually go unlike when they were at the ceremony in 2012 and Alissa, Laura and I's attempts to see them/get a photo with them failed miserably and we drove for two hours for no fucking reason :)

I'll drive from Indianapolis for their induction

Well, first of all, I'm more interested to see if maybe Billie would be the one to induct The Replacements, which is the more current development. Seeing as he has a history of being invited to do inductions and performances at this event, and he is The Replacements biggest fan, as well as a friend of Paul Westerberg, I think if the artists have any say or suggestion for who should induct them, it would be likely that Paul and the Hall of Fame organization would invite Billie to do it this spring! So I'm looking forward to seeing that. I'm also just very generally curious to see who will induct Nirvana. In a lot of ways, the individual(s) who induct a band are more interesting to me.

I definitely believe Green Day will be inducted at some point. Hard to say if they will in their first year, but I think they have a good shot. The organization seems to have a positive disposition toward them and unconcerned with all the "sell out" rhetoric that fans and enemies alike obsess over. I think the industry as a whole doesn't really view those points as valid when determining a band's influence. Even if you think Green Day sold out, you couldn't deny their popularity and influence over successive pop punk generations, as well as enormous album sales and hit songs, as well as critical acclaim, and that's a bigger part of determining their induction than whether or not you think they have "integrity" (which they fucking do, since they write meaningful songs and record it themselves).

Also, the Hall of Fame is run by Jann Wenner, right? (The guy who runs Rolling Stone) That company seems to have, if not a hard-on for Green Day, then at least a general positive attitude toward them. All those things would definitely help.

Of course, if Green Day whips out a hit album at some point next year (not trying to fuel any speculation or chance of that happening) it would seal the deal for a speedy induction process.

Plus, who votes on these things? Music journalists but also some musicians themselves, right?

Selected journalist and musicians and some others are the voters

And yeah the hof doesnt care about sell out titles at all

Just because you think they deserve it doesn't mean someone else can't think they don't.

All my opinions are truly facts - ‪#whitetimlogic

All my opinions are truly facts - #whitetimlogic

Lmao I have never once said that...

I just dont think you should slag a artsit/group just because you dont like em...

Seriously if GD wins I will be taking a road trip to Ohio in 2015! Fingers crossed.

My other choices are Tom Petty, NIN, Lenny Kravitz. Garth Brookes, Queen Latifa, Sarah Machlin?? Not so much.

I guess so. Getting into the Hall shouldn't really be that big of a deal or something to actually worry about, but I think it'd be a cool experience for them in a way.

Well, first of all, I'm more interested to see if maybe Billie would be the one to induct The Replacements, which is the more current development. Seeing as he has a history of being invited to do inductions and performances at this event, and he is The Replacements biggest fan, as well as a friend of Paul Westerberg, I think if the artists have any say or suggestion for who should induct them, it would be likely that Paul and the Hall of Fame organization would invite Billie to do it this spring! So I'm looking forward to seeing that.

I'd seriously love to see that too, but the Replacements aren't among the 2014 inductees as far as I know.

I guess so. Getting into the Hall shouldn't really be that big of a deal or something to actually worry about, but I think it'd be a cool experience for them in a way.

I'd seriously love to see that too, but the Replacements aren't among the 2014 inductees as far as I know.

Well then the first post in this thread is very misleading. I thought the 2015 inductees were announced and those were the groups getting in. I will research myself.

ETA: Yep, you're right, no Replacements :( But I just learned it's taking place at the Barclays Center and I wonder how much tickets will cost...

• 2 months later...

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame: Green Day a no-brainer for 2015?

This week, we're taking a look at the artists eligible for induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame's Class of 2015. Examining the list, there appears to be just one no-brainer, and that's Green Day. But should the debate be that simple?

http://www.cleveland.com/music/index.ssf/2014/03/rock_and_roll_hall_of_fame_is.html

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame: Green Day a no-brainer for 2015?

This week, we're taking a look at the artists eligible for induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame's Class of 2015. Examining the list, there appears to be just one no-brainer, and that's Green Day. But should the debate be that simple?

http://www.cleveland.com/music/index.ssf/2014/03/rock_and_roll_hall_of_fame_is.html

I'm not sure about that article. I disagree with the assertion that there's an "ever growing list of snubs." Not everyone gets in the second they're eligible; how long did it take Rush to get in? I really don't think Green Day would get in on the back of the Trilogy, regardless of what's happened before. I can see it happening in a few years, but certainly not yet.

I'm not sure about that article. I disagree with the assertion that there's an "ever growing list of snubs." Not everyone gets in the second they're eligible; how long did it take Rush to get in? I really don't think Green Day would get in on the back of the Trilogy, regardless of what's happened before. I can see it happening in a few years, but certainly not yet.

I disagree whole-heartedly. The Hall of Fame obviously loves them considering they have been a part of multiple events for them. They will be first-ballot and I would bet my life on it.

I'm hoping for 2015 so I can be there to watch it. Cleveland is only 2 hours from my house. :happy:

Plus, it'd definitely make up for Mar, Alissa and I's failed 2012 trip.

I can't wait for them to get inducted. They totally deserve it, more than most bands I can name. :wub:

I disagree whole-heartedly. The Hall of Fame obviously loves them considering they have been a part of multiple events for them. They will be first-ballot and I would bet my life on it.

Flea and Anthony has performed and been apart of more events there than Green Day has and RHCP didn't get in the first time

I wouldn't trust a site that says Garth "bigger than The Beatles" Brooks is a long shot...

As much as I love green day there's so many other bands that should get in before them. Just because they've hit the 25 year acceptance doesn't mean they should get in straight away. I mean rush, iron maiden or Judas priest aren't even in it yet?? I don't particularly like those bands but I respect them for what they've done and how long they've lasted.

Archived