Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Green Day May Get Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame Nod

• Please log in to reply
230 replies to this topic

GreenDayGeorgia

GreenDayGeorgia
  • Brat

• PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Joined Mar 29, 2012
  • 38 rep

They deserve to be inducted more than anyone in my opinion but, I can just see the wank and bullshit that will be thrown at them though should they get nominated and inducted as they always seem to get  :S

Johnny Rotten said : "So there we are fending off all that and it pisses me off that years later a wank outfit like Green Day hop in and nick all that and attach it to themselves. They didn't earn their wings to do that and if they were true punk they wouldn't look anything like they do."

and Billie answered : "Sometimes I think we've become totally redundant because we're this big band now, we've made a lot of money – we're not punk rock any more. But then I think about it and just say, 'You can take us out of a punk rock environment, but you can't take the punk rock out of us.'"

Green Day always had its haters as other bands but i think they will go forward no matter what will happen...

Oxymore

Oxymore
  • Dominated Love Slave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,207 posts
  • Joined Sep 17, 2013
  • 1,978 rep

I think yes. (but I can't compare with the other eligible, I dont know if there's the list or whatever)

ColourMeWaiting

ColourMeWaiting
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts
  • Joined May 09, 2009
  • 508 rep

I really hope they get the recognition they deserve, what an amazing day that will be for Green Day fans. So far we've seen Billie Joe personally induct the Stooges and Guns N Roses, and perform the Ramones covers before that...and to see them being celebrated the same way they celebrated those bands would be a great event, I think.

Hermione

Hermione
  • Soggy Dream

• 25,656 posts
  • Joined Jan 09, 2008
  • 8,450 rep

Don't we already have this thread somewhere?

There is a thread with speculation about it but since this one has a site where you can vote on whether you think they will or not in the OP I decided to leave it. The other one is like 3 years old as well.

StiffLittleFinger

StiffLittleFinger
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 819 posts
  • Joined Oct 15, 2012
  • 202 rep

It's very soon!!

WhiteTim

WhiteTim
  • Peacemaker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,936 posts
  • Joined May 16, 2010
  • 491 rep

It's very soon!!

What is? The one where GD is eligible is not until 2015... not soon at all...

GreenDayGeorgia

GreenDayGeorgia
  • Brat

• PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Joined Mar 29, 2012
  • 38 rep

You can go on a web-site which i posted you can vote and also see all eligibles by years .

OKAY here is the list of bands and artists who will be eligible in 2014 (2015 ceremony)

3rd Bass, After 7, Alan Jackson, Alannah Myles, Ani DiFranco, Athiest, Babes in Toyland, Barenaked Ladies, Beautiful South, Better Than Ezra, Big Head Todd and the Monsters, Bob Mould, Buffalo Tom, Cathy Dennis, Cherry Poppin' Daddies, Christopher Williams, Clive Griffin, Dangerous Toys, DJ Magic Mike, Doro, Dream Theater, Enuff Z'nuff, Evildead, Extreme, Gang Starr, Garth Brooks, Gin Blossoms, Green Day, Jane Child, Jawbreaker, Jesus Jones, Lenny Kravitz, Lush, Manic Street Preachers, Maria McKee, Masta Ace, Michael Penn, Mother Love Bone, Mr. Big, Neneh Cherry, Nine Inch Nails, No Use for a Name, Obituary, The Ocean Blue, The Orb, Ottmar Liebert, Pavement, Phantom Blue, Porcupine Tree, Queen Latifah, Sarah McLachlan, Saraya, Sebadoh, Selena, Shakespear's Sister, Sick of It All, Skid Row, Slint, The Sundays, Superchunk, Technotronic, Texas, Toad the Wet Sprocket, Tom Petty, Unsane, Urge Overkill, Warrant, XYZ, Young MC

beejeezee

beejeezee
  • Billie Joe's Bitch

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,643 posts
  • Joined Nov 29, 2010
  • 4,841 rep

Yes, yes, and fucking yes!

Céadóg

Céadóg
  • http://ask.fm/ceadog

• 15,535 posts
  • Joined Sep 11, 2012
  • 16,123 rep

Well, I can definitely see Dream Theater, Lenny Kravitz, Garth Brooks, Tom Petty, Manic Street Preachers, and NIN getting in.

I'd love to see Jawbreaker, Babes in Toyland and Porcupine Tree get in but that'll most likely never happen.

Jon Benjamin

Jon Benjamin
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,273 posts
  • Joined Dec 21, 2006
  • 500 rep

Yes because the 2015 induction ceremony will be in Cleveland again and I can actually go unlike when they were at the ceremony in 2012 and Alissa, Laura and I's attempts to see them/get a photo with them failed miserably and we drove for two hours for no fucking reason :)

I'll drive from Indianapolis for their induction

WhiteTim

WhiteTim
  • Peacemaker

• 4,936 posts
  • Joined May 16, 2010
  • 491 rep
Dont know why but I dont think they'll get in their first year...

Heather.

Heather.
  • Peacemaker

• 4,111 posts
  • Joined Jul 03, 2011
  • 6,163 rep

Well, first of all, I'm more interested to see if maybe Billie would be the one to induct The Replacements, which is the more current development. Seeing as he has a history of being invited to do inductions and performances at this event, and he is The Replacements biggest fan, as well as a friend of Paul Westerberg, I think if the artists have any say or suggestion for who should induct them, it would be likely that Paul and the Hall of Fame organization would invite Billie to do it this spring! So I'm looking forward to seeing that.  I'm also just very generally curious to see who will induct Nirvana. In a lot of ways, the individual(s) who induct a band are more interesting to me.

I definitely believe Green Day will be inducted at some point. Hard to say if they will in their first year, but I think they have a good shot. The organization seems to have a positive disposition toward them and unconcerned with all the "sell out" rhetoric that fans and enemies alike obsess over. I think the industry as a whole doesn't really view those points as valid when determining a band's influence.  Even if you think Green Day sold out, you couldn't deny their popularity and influence over successive pop punk generations, as well as enormous album sales and hit songs, as well as critical acclaim, and that's a bigger part of determining their induction than whether or not you think they have "integrity" (which they fucking do, since they write meaningful songs and record it themselves).

Also, the Hall of Fame is run by Jann Wenner, right? (The guy who runs Rolling Stone)  That company seems to have, if not a hard-on for Green Day, then at least a general positive attitude toward them. All those things would definitely help.

Of course, if Green Day whips out a hit album at some point next year (not trying to fuel any speculation or chance of that happening) it would seal the deal for a speedy induction process.

Plus, who votes on these things? Music journalists but also some musicians themselves, right?

WhiteTim

WhiteTim
  • Peacemaker

• 4,936 posts
  • Joined May 16, 2010
  • 491 rep
Selected journalist and musicians and some others are the voters

And yeah the hof doesnt care about sell out titles at all

Idiotic Tendency...

Idiotic Tendency...
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,274 posts
  • Joined Jul 14, 2012
  • 654 rep

Just because you think they deserve it doesn't mean someone else can't think they don't.

All my opinions are truly facts - ‪#whitetimlogic

WhiteTim

WhiteTim
  • Peacemaker

• 4,936 posts
  • Joined May 16, 2010
  • 491 rep

All my opinions are truly facts - #whitetimlogic

Lmao I have never once said that...

I just dont think you should slag a artsit/group just because you dont like em...

Advertising

Whatsinaname

Whatsinaname
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts
  • Joined Apr 13, 2012
  • 369 rep

Seriously if GD wins I will be taking a road trip to Ohio in 2015!  Fingers crossed. 

My other choices are Tom Petty, NIN, Lenny Kravitz.  Garth Brookes, Queen Latifa, Sarah Machlin??  Not so much. 

IsaGreenDay

IsaGreenDay
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 876 posts
  • Joined Nov 03, 2012
  • 1,412 rep

I guess so. Getting into the Hall shouldn't really be that big of a deal or something to actually worry about, but I think it'd be a cool experience for them in a way. 

Well, first of all, I'm more interested to see if maybe Billie would be the one to induct The Replacements, which is the more current development. Seeing as he has a history of being invited to do inductions and performances at this event, and he is The Replacements biggest fan, as well as a friend of Paul Westerberg, I think if the artists have any say or suggestion for who should induct them, it would be likely that Paul and the Hall of Fame organization would invite Billie to do it this spring! So I'm looking forward to seeing that.

I'd seriously love to see that too, but the Replacements aren't among the 2014 inductees as far as I know. 

Heather.

Heather.
  • Peacemaker

• 4,111 posts
  • Joined Jul 03, 2011
  • 6,163 rep

I guess so. Getting into the Hall shouldn't really be that big of a deal or something to actually worry about, but I think it'd be a cool experience for them in a way. 

I'd seriously love to see that too, but the Replacements aren't among the 2014 inductees as far as I know. 

Well then the first post in this thread is very misleading.  I thought the 2015 inductees were announced and those were the groups getting in.  I will research myself.

ETA: Yep, you're right, no Replacements :(  But I just learned it's taking place at the Barclays Center and I wonder how much tickets will cost... 

desertrose

desertrose
  • Best Thing In Town

• 8,120 posts
  • Joined Mar 11, 2011
  • 9,527 rep

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame: Green Day a no-brainer for 2015?

This week, we're taking a look at the artists eligible for induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame's Class of 2015. Examining the list, there appears to be just one no-brainer, and that's Green Day. But should the debate be that simple?

http://www.cleveland...of_fame_is.html

Not Anyone.

Not Anyone.
  • "You bigot." - DookieLukie

• 7,359 posts
  • Joined Aug 19, 2013
  • 7,186 rep

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame: Green Day a no-brainer for 2015?

This week, we're taking a look at the artists eligible for induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame's Class of 2015. Examining the list, there appears to be just one no-brainer, and that's Green Day. But should the debate be that simple?

http://www.cleveland...of_fame_is.html

I'm not sure about that article. I disagree with the assertion that there's an "ever growing list of snubs." Not everyone gets in the second they're eligible; how long did it take Rush to get in? I really don't think Green Day would get in on the back of the Trilogy, regardless of what's happened before. I can see it happening in a few years, but certainly not yet.

phslaxmidi10

phslaxmidi10
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts
  • Joined Mar 01, 2006
  • 1,362 rep

I'm not sure about that article. I disagree with the assertion that there's an "ever growing list of snubs." Not everyone gets in the second they're eligible; how long did it take Rush to get in? I really don't think Green Day would get in on the back of the Trilogy, regardless of what's happened before. I can see it happening in a few years, but certainly not yet.

I disagree whole-heartedly.  The Hall of Fame obviously loves them considering they have been a part of multiple events for them.  They will be first-ballot and I would bet my life on it.

Laura Rose

Laura Rose
  • Outlavs nikad ne spavaju

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,367 posts
  • Joined Mar 30, 2009
  • 815 rep

I'm hoping for 2015 so I can be there to watch it.  Cleveland is only 2 hours from my house. :happy:

Plus, it'd definitely make up for Mar, Alissa and I's failed 2012 trip. 

Avox

Avox
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts
  • Joined Jan 25, 2014
  • 119 rep

I can't wait for them to get inducted. They totally deserve it, more than most bands I can name. :wub:

WhiteTim

WhiteTim
  • Peacemaker

• 4,936 posts
  • Joined May 16, 2010
  • 491 rep

I disagree whole-heartedly.  The Hall of Fame obviously loves them considering they have been a part of multiple events for them.  They will be first-ballot and I would bet my life on it.

Flea and Anthony has performed and been apart of more events there than Green Day has and RHCP didn't get in the first time

I wouldn't trust a site that says Garth "bigger than The Beatles" Brooks is a long shot...

Backyard Skulls

Backyard Skulls
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts
  • Joined Apr 30, 2009
  • 799 rep
As much as I love green day there's so many other bands that should get in before them. Just because they've hit the 25 year acceptance doesn't mean they should get in straight away. I mean rush, iron maiden or Judas priest aren't even in it yet?? I don't particularly like those bands but I respect them for what they've done and how long they've lasted.

boringdays

boringdays
  • Little One

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Joined May 01, 2009
  • 39 rep

As much as I love green day there's so many other bands that should get in before them. Just because they've hit the 25 year acceptance doesn't mean they should get in straight away. I mean rush, iron maiden or Judas priest aren't even in it yet?? I don't particularly like those bands but I respect them for what they've done and how long they've lasted.

I think you're under-estimating the impact they've had. Dookie was all over the place in the 90's, they pushed punk to the mainstream and gave way for blink-182 and a lot of other bands. Then they managed to rival that albums success 10 years later and essentially bring in a whole new fan base. No to say those bands don't deserve to be in, but the HOF would be moron's to not induct em right away.

And as far as the Chili Peppers, they aren't anywhere near Green Day's status. Sure they've been around about as long, but they were never as popular or nearly as influential.

Akshat

Akshat
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts
  • Joined Oct 27, 2012
  • 684 rep
They've been around for a really long time now but people fail to take notice because their music has evolved with time and well, they don't look that old. Cmon, Green Day definitely has more influence than all the artists there. People might know Tom Petty, Nine Inch Nails, Dream Theatre and Lenny but Green Day are wayy more popular than them. We wouldn't have Blink 182, MCR, All Time Low, Fall Out Boy, NFG or any of these pop punk bands without Green Day. In some strange way or the other, they attracted the aufience to the might of The Ramones and The Clash. Dookie and AI are amoung the top rock albums of all time. Every band has haters but they don't decide the induction process.

beejeezee

beejeezee
  • Billie Joe's Bitch

• 12,643 posts
  • Joined Nov 29, 2010
  • 4,841 rep

I think they should get in.

Sir Psycho Sexy

Sir Psycho Sexy
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts
  • Joined May 12, 2013
  • 161 rep

And as far as the Chili Peppers, they aren't anywhere near Green Day's status. Sure they've been around about as long, but they were never as popular or nearly as influential.

What? 

They've been around for a really long time now but people fail to take notice because their music has evolved with time and well, they don't look that old. Cmon, Green Day definitely has more influence than all the artists there. People might know Tom Petty, Nine Inch Nails, Dream Theatre and Lenny but Green Day are wayy more popular than them. We wouldn't have Blink 182, MCR, All Time Low, Fall Out Boy, NFG or any of these pop punk bands without Green Day. In some strange way or the other, they attracted the aufience to the might of The Ramones and The Clash. Dookie and AI are amoung the top rock albums of all time. Every band has haters but they don't decide the induction process.

So you are saying Green Day is more influental than Dream Theatre and NIN? I mean, I don't like any of those bands you mentioned but really? 

WhiteTim

WhiteTim
  • Peacemaker

• 4,936 posts
  • Joined May 16, 2010
  • 491 rep
Folks here will say Green Day are bigger than Garth Brooks or The Beatles etc

To say RHCP aren't as big as Green Day or influential is just wrong and so incorrect...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users