Green Day May Get Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame Nod

Sanity Loan

Brilliance .. definitely deserve it.

These guys are the proof that you don't need to shred a guitar or have 10 minute drums solos to show talent

(if that meant anything)

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Id rather it was left at 25 years. Green Day deserve to be in the hall of fame but waiting another few years wont hurt :ermm:

You know the word "may" is in the title, right? I know it's easy to see "green," "day," "rock," "roll," "hall," "fame" and "nod" and get excited, but there is nothing indicating that they're getting the nod, except for the fact that with the new rules, it would be possible now, as opposed to in 4 years. That doesn't mean they've been nominated.

I could wait five more years, I don't think it's necessary to change the rules ...

of course it would be super awesome if Green Day was in the R'n'R Hall of Fame but since Madonna got into it I don't take it serious anyway. that was just ridiculous!

They'll still be deserving in 5 years, so I wouldn't mind waiting. It's just awesome that they were even thrown in the article, saying that they may get considered.

Haha I just announced this to my family and my 8 year old sister replied with, "How come they get that if they can't even win the People's Choice Awards??"

:mellow:

And then she asked when Hannah Montana would join...

:lol: Kids are awesome, but annoying at the same time. :P

That would be pretty fucking cool. :happy:

I don't think changing the 25 years makes all that much of a difference though, they should just keep it at 25.

They'll make it in eventually. They changed the sound '90s rock when they released Dookie and Kurt Cobain died, then they slowly became less and less popular and then BAM! American Idiot comes out 10 years after Dookie and they're suddenly the most famous band in the world. It's very, very hard to make a comeback in the music industry, and that alone should be enough to get them in, be it 10, 20, hell, 50 years from now.

It doesn't matter when they're inducted, as long as they make it in there. The Ramones made it in, so why wouldn't Green Day?

OH MY.

They really REALLY do deserve it. I so hope that they get inducted really soon.

:woot:

And I agree with "Vanilla Shake". They basically dominated the 90s. They seriously did. :happy:

I hope to god they do this. I always thought the whole 25 year thing was a little too long (but probably only because I didn't want to wait that long for Green Day to get inducted)! Anyway, thanks for finding that.

And actually, the Rock Hall already has some of Green Day's instrument's in the museum. I know for a fact Mike Dirnt's bass from the Woodstock concert is on display right as you walk in (I tried my best not to smear the glass).

Cool! As other people said, I'm sure they would've made it in eventually, but sooner is better than later!

I've been there twice now, it's amazing.

The first time I got to see The Clash as the featured exhibit it was great.

And Mike's old bass is there. I'm not sure if they switched out that exhibit,

But the last time I was there I saw it.

Once Green Day is inducted It'll be perfect.

How...? I really don't see how it says that in any way...

Apologies for the late reply -- I think I read "lack of suitable artists who fit the criteria to choose from" as a veiled slap at what today's music industry has become. So many of today's performers weren't on the map a few years ago, and most won't still be a few years from now, and they're all selling some variation of the same catchy-for-the-moment-yet-ultimately-boring thing. As I think about it more, though, I suppose that's what the RRHOF's "minimum 25 years in the business" rule was intended to weed out....that is, the true greats will weather the test of time....either they produced music that itself struck a nerve and endured, or they evolved and matured with time, keeping many of their old fans while drawing in new ones -- or in the case of Green Day, perhaps both. So, yeah, I wind up in the same place that a lot of folks here seem to -- keep the 25-year rule in place. We'll be patient for a few more years and cheer loudly when Green Day finally makes it in. :)

Archived