Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Listen to Static Noise 94: We give our thoughts on Demolicious.

Photo

Green Day May Get Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame Nod

• Please log in to reply
230 replies to this topic

Bastard of 1967

Bastard of 1967
  • Hero For The Lost Cause

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts
  • Joined Apr 07, 2009
  • 2,571 rep
QUOTE (Guitar4Girl @ Jan 7 2010, 11:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Great, so if they're in the rock and roll hall of fame what does this mean exactly?

It's public confirmation of what we already know -- that they kick ass now, that they have kicked ass in the past, and that they will continue to kick ass in the future. biggrin.gif

Seriously -- it'll confirm their status as one of the all-time greats of rock'n'roll, and would put them on the same level as The Who, Elvis, U2, Bruce Springsteen, and other old-time and not-so-old-time greats. I LOVE how the article states that the age change is being considered "due to the lack of suitable artists who fit the criteria to choose from." This really says something to the modern music industry as a whole: "Y'all can take your Miley Cyrus, Black-Eyed Peas, Britney Spears, Demi Lovato, and the rest of your manufactured pop crap and put it where the sun don't shine!"

dolce

dolce
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts
  • Joined May 14, 2009
  • 4 rep
This is awesome! I mean, I have no doubt they would've hit the 25 year mark no problem, but it would be cool to seem them inducted sooner!

billiejoe1

billiejoe1
  • You're In My Spot!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,189 posts
  • Joined Dec 05, 2005
  • 355 rep
I think even if they don't change the rules Green Day will still be in the Hall of Fame. I pretty sure about that.

Jaymee!!

Jaymee!!
  • LL Cool Tré

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,967 posts
  • Joined Feb 19, 2007
  • 3,505 rep
KISS hasn't made it in yet? Really?

Eh, our boys are bound to get it sooner or later, no matter what the rules state. I would give it to GnR before them though.

NickD

NickD
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 699 posts
  • Joined Apr 18, 2005
  • 19 rep
they'd have to be the youngest band that would be inducted (minus the possibility of nirvana, who in my opinion shouldn't go in, as they were only an influence on rock n roll for 5 years, tops, before kurt died and they disbanded)

Velocity

Velocity
  • The Diamond Church Street Choir

• 4,392 posts
  • Joined Feb 28, 2007
  • 703 rep
Honestly I don't think they should lower it to 20 years. There's a plethora of artists who are eligible under the 25 year rule and have yet to be inducted, even if they really deserve it. I don't think it's right.
People might question the legitimacy of the Hall of Fame if they do this. People might think the artists who got in under the old rule are superior to the new inductees, which isn't the right thing to think. But it'll happen.
Besides, Green Day can wait just 5 more years. smile.gif

Tubbie Head

Tubbie Head
  • teh biggest Blue Night fan

• 12,210 posts
  • Joined Jun 10, 2008
  • 2,728 rep
That's nice!
I know they will get there!.. If not now, in the future, 'cause we all know they are going to be around for ever, like the Stones! =)

IscoredWaddlesgoals

IscoredWaddlesgoals
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,382 posts
  • Joined May 31, 2007
  • 332 rep
I don't see the point of lowering the limit to speed things up. Surely there's someone out there that can be inducted over the next few years ? Even if they're less well known. If Green Day are good enough now, they should be good enough in 4/5 years time.

Also, isn't the whole thing hideously corporate ? I'm sure someone said you have to pay thousands for your own table on the night.

captain peroxide

captain peroxide
  • Crunch

• 14,924 posts
  • Joined Feb 20, 2007
  • 5,216 rep
laugh.gif They're running out of good candidates. How about they stop nominating people who have nothing to do with rock and roll, like fucking Madonna. I don't care what she did for music, she is not rock and roll. Seriously, Madonna is in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and KISS isn't? What a fucking joke. I don't see why they think they need new nominees every year. It's supposed to be a hall of fame. Something prestigious. You shouldn't be inducting new acts every single year.

This just means that the RnR Hall of Fame is going to become more of a, to borrow from John Lydon, piss stain. There's going to be younger, shittier bands in there who don't deserve to be in there next to the likes of AC/DC and Aerosmith. Shit guys, in 6 years, they'll be inducting Nickelback, for Christ's sake.

farley drexel hatcher

farley drexel hatcher
  • Best Thing In Town

• 8,104 posts
  • Joined May 05, 2005
  • 1,643 rep
I wouldn't be surprised if they lower it just so they can put in a band like Green Day, to be honest. That said it'd be pretty epic for them to get inducted before they turn forty. They're babies compared to most other acts in there. They'd probably be the first, actually.

But Nirvana don't deserve a place, in my opinion.

Daughter.of.Rage.and.Love

Daughter.of.Rage.and.Love
  • No, this is Patrick

• 30,268 posts
  • Joined Oct 23, 2008
  • 3,413 rep
Woo that's great happy.gif
And even if they don't change the rules, oh well, just wait a couple more years and they'll be fine.

Guitar4Girl

Guitar4Girl
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • Joined May 20, 2007
  • 3 rep
QUOTE (Bastard_Of_1967 @ Jan 7 2010, 05:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's public confirmation of what we already know -- that they kick ass now, that they have kicked ass in the past, and that they will continue to kick ass in the future. biggrin.gif

Seriously -- it'll confirm their status as one of the all-time greats of rock'n'roll, and would put them on the same level as The Who, Elvis, U2, Bruce Springsteen, and other old-time and not-so-old-time greats. I LOVE how the article states that the age change is being considered "due to the lack of suitable artists who fit the criteria to choose from." This really says something to the modern music industry as a whole: "Y'all can take your Miley Cyrus, Black-Eyed Peas, Britney Spears, Demi Lovato, and the rest of your manufactured pop crap and put it where the sun don't shine!"

That's awsome!

I hope that when Green Day do win it shows these 'Metal Heads' where to go. Even if we have to wait another 5 years then it'll still be good, it means that Green Day is being recognised for what they are; a truly amazing band and among the greats like The Who and Elvis etc. smile.gif

dolce

dolce
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts
  • Joined May 14, 2009
  • 4 rep
QUOTE (Tedifer @ Jan 7 2010, 02:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I wouldn't be surprised if they lower it just so they can put in a band like Green Day, to be honest. That said it'd be pretty epic for them to get inducted before they turn forty. They're babies compared to most other acts in there. They'd probably be the first, actually.

Oh wow, I didn't even think about that, but your right. Being in the Hall of Fame before their forty would be such an amazing accomplishment, and probably would be a first.

matteo263

matteo263
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts
  • Joined Apr 03, 2009
  • 106 rep
The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Foundation has announced ABBA, Genesis, Jimmy Cliff, The Hollies and The Stooges as its 2010 artist inductees. Also being inducted this year as individual recipients of the Ahmet Ertegun Award will be David Geffen and songwriters Barry Mann, Cynthia Weil, Elle Greenwich, Jeff Barry, Jesse Stone, Mort Shuman and Otis Blackwell. The ceremony will take place on March 15, 2010 at the Waldorf Astoria in New York City and will air live on Fuse, Madison Square Garden’s national music television network, as part of the three-year broadcast deal between the Foundation and Fuse.

“We are very happy to present this year’s inductees into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as they represent a great cross-section of artists that define the broad spectrum and history of rock and roll and people that have contributed immeasurably to our business” says Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Foundation President & CEO Joel Peresman.

The performer inductees are:
ABBA
GENESIS
JIMMY CLIFF
THE HOLLIES
THE STOOGES

Ahmet Ertegun Award (nonperformers):
DAVID GEFFEN
BARRY MANN & CYNTHIA WEIL
ELLIE GREENWICH & JEFF BARRY
JESSE STONE
MORT SHUMAN
OTIS BLACKWELL

So no green day this year sad.gif

nah

nah
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,011 posts
  • Joined Apr 10, 2009
  • 793 rep
Totally deserved nomination

Advertising

IscoredWaddlesgoals

IscoredWaddlesgoals
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,382 posts
  • Joined May 31, 2007
  • 332 rep
QUOTE (captain peroxide @ Jan 7 2010, 07:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
laugh.gif They're running out of good candidates. How about they stop nominating people who have nothing to do with rock and roll, like fucking Madonna. I don't care what she did for music, she is not rock and roll. Seriously, Madonna is in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and KISS isn't? What a fucking joke. I don't see why they think they need new nominees every year. It's supposed to be a hall of fame. Something prestigious. You shouldn't be inducting new acts every single year.

This just means that the RnR Hall of Fame is going to become more of a, to borrow from John Lydon, piss stain. There's going to be younger, shittier bands in there who don't deserve to be in there next to the likes of AC/DC and Aerosmith. Shit guys, in 6 years, they'll be inducting Nickelback, for Christ's sake.

To be fair though, it's not just 'rock' acts that get inducted. This year's crop includes Jimmy Cliff and Abba neither of which are exactly Metallica.

It's not really a big deal to me, I don't need a committee to tell me which bands/acts are legendary or deserve a place in a museum.

valentinesandcigs

valentinesandcigs
  • Peacemaker

• 4,937 posts
  • Joined Aug 19, 2009
  • 20 rep
QUOTE (matteo263 @ Jan 7 2010, 02:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Foundation has announced ABBA, Genesis, Jimmy Cliff, The Hollies and The Stooges as its 2010 artist inductees. Also being inducted this year as individual recipients of the Ahmet Ertegun Award will be David Geffen and songwriters Barry Mann, Cynthia Weil, Elle Greenwich, Jeff Barry, Jesse Stone, Mort Shuman and Otis Blackwell. The ceremony will take place on March 15, 2010 at the Waldorf Astoria in New York City and will air live on Fuse, Madison Square Garden’s national music television network, as part of the three-year broadcast deal between the Foundation and Fuse.

“We are very happy to present this year’s inductees into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as they represent a great cross-section of artists that define the broad spectrum and history of rock and roll and people that have contributed immeasurably to our business” says Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Foundation President & CEO Joel Peresman.

The performer inductees are:
ABBA
GENESIS
JIMMY CLIFF
THE HOLLIES
THE STOOGES

Ahmet Ertegun Award (nonperformers):
DAVID GEFFEN
BARRY MANN & CYNTHIA WEIL
ELLIE GREENWICH & JEFF BARRY
JESSE STONE
MORT SHUMAN
OTIS BLACKWELL

So no green day this year sad.gif

Well they didn't change the rule yet. If they do change the rule Green day will probably get nominated next year smile.gif

And come on Iron maiden kiss aren't even in yet confused.gif the hall of fame is such a joke.

Peace and Rainbows

Peace and Rainbows
  • "Gromit we've forgot the crackers!"

• 3,270 posts
  • Joined Jan 30, 2009
  • 88 rep
SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSIIIIIIIIIIIICCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I think the boys can make the final cut

Guest_Shangri-La_*

Guest_Shangri-La_*
  • Joined --
  • 0 rep
I don't like the fact that they'd change the rules only to include people who wouldn't traditionally be eligible.
Seriously, it's only 3 1/2 years anyway.

drumstick

drumstick
  • Peacemaker

• 5,425 posts
  • Joined Jul 03, 2008
  • 40 rep
woot.gif
that would be so fucking awesome!
they soooo deserve it! biggrin.gif

billie-joe-geek72

billie-joe-geek72
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,874 posts
  • Joined Mar 13, 2007
  • 0 rep
That's so awesome! So happy for them biggrin.gif

Nikki_Nimrod

Nikki_Nimrod
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • Joined Jul 20, 2009
  • 0 rep
That's so great! They definitely deserve it biggrin.gif

Chelsea Hotel

Chelsea Hotel
  • Peacemaker

• 5,096 posts
  • Joined May 06, 2009
  • 17 rep
Awesome!

I'm glad to see the R&R Hall of Fame might be changing its rules. They've been kind of stagnant the past few years.

Opezi

Opezi
  • Lazy Sod

• 5,513 posts
  • Joined Apr 09, 2009
  • 166 rep
awesome woot.gif

The Daughter of Rage and Love

The Daughter of Rage and Love
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,842 posts
  • Joined Nov 21, 2005
  • 0 rep
I have been wondering when they'd get nominated. biggrin.gif

But...Kid Rock? Really?

Sarahnade.

Sarahnade.
  • what

• 9,235 posts
  • Joined Jul 01, 2009
  • 21 rep
OMG! I've been waiting for the day they got in this thing! haha.

I know they will someday. It is kind of unfair to those other bands I guess, but Green Day really deserve it. Maybe not this year; I think bands like KISS and Judas Priest should be in there already. But obviously I want Green Day in there, and the sooner the better. Because to see 'my band' in there would be amazing.

alaniluau

alaniluau
  • Like Every Other American

• 4,611 posts
  • Joined Jun 26, 2009
  • 1,177 rep
It will be an exciting day for me when GD is inducted, even if the hall of fame is kinda a joke in some ways.

Sarahnade.

Sarahnade.
  • what

• 9,235 posts
  • Joined Jul 01, 2009
  • 21 rep
QUOTE (captain peroxide @ Jan 7 2010, 02:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah. I remember being really confused when I heard Madonna got in. I get that she's a good performer and singer, but she's not rock and roll. Having her in there next to all those classic rock bands is just weird. Yeah, like she is but KISS isn't. And I don't think it should be an annual thing either, because yeah soon bands like Nickelback will be in it or something. When I think of the R&R Hall of Fame, I don't think of bands like that.

Fuzz

Fuzz
  • Professional Cocksmith

• 37,096 posts
  • Joined May 28, 2004
  • 13,400 rep
I hate this article, I'm getting constant emails about it. Green Day is not "set" to get any sort of nod. All this says is that if the rule is relaxes, bands like Green Day, which have been around 20+ years (as opposed to the 25 it required before) COULD POTENTIALLY be nominated. No one is even saying that they are being considered, they just used their name as an example.

captain peroxide

captain peroxide
  • Crunch

• 14,924 posts
  • Joined Feb 20, 2007
  • 5,216 rep
The whole point of a hall of fame is that it's the best of the best, not just any band who is known and/or successful. Think about it, the Who, Aersosmith, Metallica, AC/DC, etc, some of the best rock or rock-related bands to ever exist. I'm not saying Green Day doesn't deserve to be in there, but I think it's ridiculous to nominate people just for the sake of having nominees. Which is what I think they're doing, and what their rationale for changing the rule is. Seriously, what are they going to do in 10-20 years when it's time to nominate great new acts from the 21st century. They'll either be shit out of luck, or crappier and crappier bands will get thrown in, because there really isn't very much good rock music being made by new bands. The vast majority of it is coming from bands who have been around for at least a good 10 years, and usually a lot longer than that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users