Green Day May Get Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame Nod

Sanity Loan

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As usual, the "metal heads" are complaining in the comments about how Green Day doesn't deserve it. I love reading those

That would be so awesome. :D I hope they get in. I mean I've always wanted to visit the hall of rock and roll fame anyway. But to my band in there would be epic.

Great, so if they're in the rock and roll hall of fame what does this mean exactly?

It's public confirmation of what we already know -- that they kick ass now, that they have kicked ass in the past, and that they will continue to kick ass in the future. :D

Seriously -- it'll confirm their status as one of the all-time greats of rock'n'roll, and would put them on the same level as The Who, Elvis, U2, Bruce Springsteen, and other old-time and not-so-old-time greats. I LOVE how the article states that the age change is being considered "due to the lack of suitable artists who fit the criteria to choose from." This really says something to the modern music industry as a whole: "Y'all can take your Miley Cyrus, Black-Eyed Peas, Britney Spears, Demi Lovato, and the rest of your manufactured pop crap and put it where the sun don't shine!"

This is awesome! I mean, I have no doubt they would've hit the 25 year mark no problem, but it would be cool to seem them inducted sooner!

I think even if they don't change the rules Green Day will still be in the Hall of Fame. I pretty sure about that.

KISS hasn't made it in yet? Really?

Eh, our boys are bound to get it sooner or later, no matter what the rules state. I would give it to GnR before them though.

they'd have to be the youngest band that would be inducted (minus the possibility of nirvana, who in my opinion shouldn't go in, as they were only an influence on rock n roll for 5 years, tops, before kurt died and they disbanded)

Honestly I don't think they should lower it to 20 years. There's a plethora of artists who are eligible under the 25 year rule and have yet to be inducted, even if they really deserve it. I don't think it's right.

People might question the legitimacy of the Hall of Fame if they do this. People might think the artists who got in under the old rule are superior to the new inductees, which isn't the right thing to think. But it'll happen.

Besides, Green Day can wait just 5 more years. :)

That's nice!

I know they will get there!.. If not now, in the future, 'cause we all know they are going to be around for ever, like the Stones! =)

I don't see the point of lowering the limit to speed things up. Surely there's someone out there that can be inducted over the next few years ? Even if they're less well known. If Green Day are good enough now, they should be good enough in 4/5 years time.

Also, isn't the whole thing hideously corporate ? I'm sure someone said you have to pay thousands for your own table on the night.

:lol: They're running out of good candidates. How about they stop nominating people who have nothing to do with rock and roll, like fucking Madonna. I don't care what she did for music, she is not rock and roll. Seriously, Madonna is in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and KISS isn't? What a fucking joke. I don't see why they think they need new nominees every year. It's supposed to be a hall of fame. Something prestigious. You shouldn't be inducting new acts every single year.

This just means that the RnR Hall of Fame is going to become more of a, to borrow from John Lydon, piss stain. There's going to be younger, shittier bands in there who don't deserve to be in there next to the likes of AC/DC and Aerosmith. Shit guys, in 6 years, they'll be inducting Nickelback, for Christ's sake.

I wouldn't be surprised if they lower it just so they can put in a band like Green Day, to be honest. That said it'd be pretty epic for them to get inducted before they turn forty. They're babies compared to most other acts in there. They'd probably be the first, actually.

But Nirvana don't deserve a place, in my opinion.

Woo that's great :happy:

And even if they don't change the rules, oh well, just wait a couple more years and they'll be fine.

It's public confirmation of what we already know -- that they kick ass now, that they have kicked ass in the past, and that they will continue to kick ass in the future. :D

Seriously -- it'll confirm their status as one of the all-time greats of rock'n'roll, and would put them on the same level as The Who, Elvis, U2, Bruce Springsteen, and other old-time and not-so-old-time greats. I LOVE how the article states that the age change is being considered "due to the lack of suitable artists who fit the criteria to choose from." This really says something to the modern music industry as a whole: "Y'all can take your Miley Cyrus, Black-Eyed Peas, Britney Spears, Demi Lovato, and the rest of your manufactured pop crap and put it where the sun don't shine!"

That's awsome!

I hope that when Green Day do win it shows these 'Metal Heads' where to go. Even if we have to wait another 5 years then it'll still be good, it means that Green Day is being recognised for what they are; a truly amazing band and among the greats like The Who and Elvis etc. :)

I wouldn't be surprised if they lower it just so they can put in a band like Green Day, to be honest. That said it'd be pretty epic for them to get inducted before they turn forty. They're babies compared to most other acts in there. They'd probably be the first, actually.

Oh wow, I didn't even think about that, but your right. Being in the Hall of Fame before their forty would be such an amazing accomplishment, and probably would be a first.

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Foundation has announced ABBA, Genesis, Jimmy Cliff, The Hollies and The Stooges as its 2010 artist inductees. Also being inducted this year as individual recipients of the Ahmet Ertegun Award will be David Geffen and songwriters Barry Mann, Cynthia Weil, Elle Greenwich, Jeff Barry, Jesse Stone, Mort Shuman and Otis Blackwell. The ceremony will take place on March 15, 2010 at the Waldorf Astoria in New York City and will air live on Fuse, Madison Square Garden’s national music television network, as part of the three-year broadcast deal between the Foundation and Fuse.

“We are very happy to present this year’s inductees into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as they represent a great cross-section of artists that define the broad spectrum and history of rock and roll and people that have contributed immeasurably to our business” says Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Foundation President & CEO Joel Peresman.

The performer inductees are:

ABBA

GENESIS

JIMMY CLIFF

THE HOLLIES

THE STOOGES

Ahmet Ertegun Award (nonperformers):

DAVID GEFFEN

BARRY MANN & CYNTHIA WEIL

ELLIE GREENWICH & JEFF BARRY

JESSE STONE

MORT SHUMAN

OTIS BLACKWELL

So no green day this year :(

:lol: They're running out of good candidates. How about they stop nominating people who have nothing to do with rock and roll, like fucking Madonna. I don't care what she did for music, she is not rock and roll. Seriously, Madonna is in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and KISS isn't? What a fucking joke. I don't see why they think they need new nominees every year. It's supposed to be a hall of fame. Something prestigious. You shouldn't be inducting new acts every single year.

This just means that the RnR Hall of Fame is going to become more of a, to borrow from John Lydon, piss stain. There's going to be younger, shittier bands in there who don't deserve to be in there next to the likes of AC/DC and Aerosmith. Shit guys, in 6 years, they'll be inducting Nickelback, for Christ's sake.

To be fair though, it's not just 'rock' acts that get inducted. This year's crop includes Jimmy Cliff and Abba neither of which are exactly Metallica.

It's not really a big deal to me, I don't need a committee to tell me which bands/acts are legendary or deserve a place in a museum.

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Foundation has announced ABBA, Genesis, Jimmy Cliff, The Hollies and The Stooges as its 2010 artist inductees. Also being inducted this year as individual recipients of the Ahmet Ertegun Award will be David Geffen and songwriters Barry Mann, Cynthia Weil, Elle Greenwich, Jeff Barry, Jesse Stone, Mort Shuman and Otis Blackwell. The ceremony will take place on March 15, 2010 at the Waldorf Astoria in New York City and will air live on Fuse, Madison Square Garden’s national music television network, as part of the three-year broadcast deal between the Foundation and Fuse.

“We are very happy to present this year’s inductees into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as they represent a great cross-section of artists that define the broad spectrum and history of rock and roll and people that have contributed immeasurably to our business” says Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Foundation President & CEO Joel Peresman.

The performer inductees are:

ABBA

GENESIS

JIMMY CLIFF

THE HOLLIES

THE STOOGES

Ahmet Ertegun Award (nonperformers):

DAVID GEFFEN

BARRY MANN & CYNTHIA WEIL

ELLIE GREENWICH & JEFF BARRY

JESSE STONE

MORT SHUMAN

OTIS BLACKWELL

So no green day this year :(

Well they didn't change the rule yet. If they do change the rule Green day will probably get nominated next year :)

And come on Iron maiden kiss aren't even in yet :/ the hall of fame is such a joke.

SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSIIIIIIIIIIIICCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think the boys can make the final cut

Guest Shangri-La

I don't like the fact that they'd change the rules only to include people who wouldn't traditionally be eligible.

Seriously, it's only 3 1/2 years anyway.

Archived