Green Day May Get Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame Nod

Sanity Loan

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Awesome!

I'm glad to see the R&R Hall of Fame might be changing its rules. They've been kind of stagnant the past few years.

I have been wondering when they'd get nominated. :D

But...Kid Rock? Really?

OMG! I've been waiting for the day they got in this thing! haha.

I know they will someday. It is kind of unfair to those other bands I guess, but Green Day really deserve it. Maybe not this year; I think bands like KISS and Judas Priest should be in there already. But obviously I want Green Day in there, and the sooner the better. Because to see 'my band' in there would be amazing.

It will be an exciting day for me when GD is inducted, even if the hall of fame is kinda a joke in some ways.

:lol: They're running out of good candidates. How about they stop nominating people who have nothing to do with rock and roll, like fucking Madonna. I don't care what she did for music, she is not rock and roll. Seriously, Madonna is in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and KISS isn't? What a fucking joke. I don't see why they think they need new nominees every year. It's supposed to be a hall of fame. Something prestigious. You shouldn't be inducting new acts every single year.

This just means that the RnR Hall of Fame is going to become more of a, to borrow from John Lydon, piss stain. There's going to be younger, shittier bands in there who don't deserve to be in there next to the likes of AC/DC and Aerosmith. Shit guys, in 6 years, they'll be inducting Nickelback, for Christ's sake.

Yeah. I remember being really confused when I heard Madonna got in. I get that she's a good performer and singer, but she's not rock and roll. Having her in there next to all those classic rock bands is just weird. Yeah, like she is but KISS isn't. And I don't think it should be an annual thing either, because yeah soon bands like Nickelback will be in it or something. When I think of the R&R Hall of Fame, I don't think of bands like that.

I hate this article, I'm getting constant emails about it. Green Day is not "set" to get any sort of nod. All this says is that if the rule is relaxes, bands like Green Day, which have been around 20+ years (as opposed to the 25 it required before) COULD POTENTIALLY be nominated. No one is even saying that they are being considered, they just used their name as an example.

The whole point of a hall of fame is that it's the best of the best, not just any band who is known and/or successful. Think about it, the Who, Aersosmith, Metallica, AC/DC, etc, some of the best rock or rock-related bands to ever exist. I'm not saying Green Day doesn't deserve to be in there, but I think it's ridiculous to nominate people just for the sake of having nominees. Which is what I think they're doing, and what their rationale for changing the rule is. Seriously, what are they going to do in 10-20 years when it's time to nominate great new acts from the 21st century. They'll either be shit out of luck, or crappier and crappier bands will get thrown in, because there really isn't very much good rock music being made by new bands. The vast majority of it is coming from bands who have been around for at least a good 10 years, and usually a lot longer than that.

I don't really see the logic in reducing it from 25 to 20 years anyways. If they belong in the Hall of Fame, they should be relevant that extra few years to reach the current goal.

Yeah. I remember being really confused when I heard Madonna got in. I get that she's a good performer and singer, but she's not rock and roll. Having her in there next to all those classic rock bands is just weird. Yeah, like she is but KISS isn't. And I don't think it should be an annual thing either, because yeah soon bands like Nickelback will be in it or something. When I think of the R&R Hall of Fame, I don't think of bands like that.

I'm a Madonna fan and even I go "WTF?!" when anyone tries to call her rock and roll. A lot of people lump any type of mainstream music together as rock and roll and that's something that's always bugged me a little. Madonna is most decidedly a pop star, pretty much the ultimate pop star. When I think of rock stars, I think of The Rolling Stones, The Who, The Ramones, The Clash, Led Zeppelin, not Madonna. KISS totally should have gotten in before she did.

I LOVE how the article states that the age change is being considered "due to the lack of suitable artists who fit the criteria to choose from." This really says something to the modern music industry as a whole: "Y'all can take your Miley Cyrus, Black-Eyed Peas, Britney Spears, Demi Lovato, and the rest of your manufactured pop crap and put it where the sun don't shine!"

How...? I really don't see how it says that in any way...

That's some awesome news. I know that Green Day would most likely end up in the rock and roll hall of fame at some point. I just can't wait until it happens.

This is fucking awesome. However, it really upset me to read this article as you can see by looking through the comments, that peoples music tastes now revolve around old overrated classic rock and new thrash deth metal.

I still like those types of music. But when a guy says, "Green Day? Iron Maiden is one of the most influential bands of all time", I say, "But Green Day has absolutely nothing to do with them and Iron Maiden isnt that epic of a band, I like em, but sorta overrated."

Kiss, Deep Purple, Yes, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Judas Priest and King Crimson are amongst those who are yet to receive a nomination or have failed to make the final cut.

Probably because they're all shit.

Yay for Green Day!!

I knew this would happen, but it's still exciting.

Probably because they're all shit.

Aaaaaaaaaaaand wrong. But even if you consider them shit, they're all much more important players in the genre of rock and roll than Madonna.

Aaaaaaaaaaaand wrong. But even if you consider them shit, they're all much more important players in the genre of rock and roll than Madonna.

Exactly no matter how much you may hate the bands you cant deny the influence they had on music. Come on i love Metallica and i agree that they should be in there but there would be no Metallica without Iron maiden Judas priest etc. which is why i call the rock n roll hall of fame a joke

can we just make one thing noted:

lowering the 25 years to 20 years isn't to speed anything up, but to make it so between the years 2013-2020 there wont be like 15 huge acts each year, as many groups formed and released their first albums in the late 80s and early 90s. it's to make it so those bands will be split up between 2011 and on. somewhat like an IV effect,

Haha I just announced this to my family and my 8 year old sister replied with, "How come they get that if they can't even win the People's Choice Awards??"

:mellow:

And then she asked when Hannah Montana would join...

That would be amazing. And it would make the R&RHoF suck less! :lol: (Seriously, I find that place to be so boring)

this is a great news! they're totally deserve it

Archived