Green Day May Get Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame Nod

Sanity Loan

Okay, so my friend runs a podcast on SoundCloud, and on her recent episode she discussed the Rock Hall nominees and her two guests (also friends of mine) contested that Green Day will get in solely based on popularity. They also feel the band has, quote, "done nothing to be considered a 'Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame group'" and "didn't invent anything," specifically referencing American Idiot when saying that. The link to the podcast is below; their brief remarks on the band happen between 11:45 and 12:30. Feel free to listen to the whole episode if you'd like, help support my friend Brandi and her online radio station! http://olio.fm/2014/10/13/goingtohell-10/

Personally, I think what my friends said is technically true, they aren't really in the same league as The Who or Led Zeppelin or The Beatles, but I feel Green Day deserves to be in because they were able to truly capture two completely different points of time in our society and youth culture with their music, two very different generations and their worldviews, speaking to both the post-grunge confusion and angst in 1994 with Dookie and the disillusionment of most teens and young adults during the post-9/11 George Dubya era in 2004 with American Idiot. Not a lot of bands, at least in the late-20th/early-21st century, have been able to pull that off, especially on such a massive scale. Not to mention that GD were essentially the leaders of that second wave of mainstream punk (or punk-inspired) rock that occurred in '94. And while AI wasn't particularly "innovative" (as my friends said, the rock opera has been done before, and arguably much better), it did bring the rock opera back into prominence. Like, in all honesty, who here can name one hugely-popular you-are-an-idiot-if-you-haven't-heard-it-by-now rock opera that came out after Pink Floyd's The Wall in 1979 and before American Idiot in 2004? In my very bold and straightforward opinion, the rock opera died in the 80s and Green Day brought it back.

Anyone else have thoughts on this?

You're friend can fuck off

Kidding, but seriously her whole premise (based off my reading of your post) is that "invention" is a pre-requisite to being a Hall of Fame band. That's just BS in my opinon. How about influencing two different generations of bands with two albums that were among the best of their respective decades. How about bringing modern pop punk in to the spot light with Dookie. How about some of the best harmonies in rock music. I could go on, but you said a lot that I agree with.

At the end of the day, Green Day is one of the tightest, most charismatic rock groups to ever perform. They have a boatload of chart topping songs, combined with a back catalog rivaled by few. They deserve to be in the hall. And they're going to get what they deserve.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^^^ I have to disagree "popularity" when- now - or at a different era. They wouldn't win a popularity contest at present - anyways that has absolutely nothing to do with being inducted into the RRHF.

GD have done nothing to be worthy of being inducted - you have got to be joking.

You're friend can fuck off

LOL I know their opinions are pretty harsh, but hey, what do you expect from two people who used to work at a record store? A lot of record store people (from what I've heard) are pretty snobbish about music, so I've learned to expect those kinds of opinions from those two friends of mine. :P

Hmmm.... If they're truly snobbish about music in general then they'd only listen to the classical composers, like I did when I basically considered anything modern below me--glad I got off my high horse, or else I'd never have discovered Green Day and they'd never have changed my life the way they have.

I think the sad thing is that they were so influential but not over anyone anyone respects, ya know? Or at least, the most obvious ones. Like, name one truly celebrated artist who was influenced by Green Day? Lady Gaga? It would be cool if newer bands like Kings of Leon or Muse came out and discussed their infantile love of Green Day.

The thing is that whenever we talk about bands that were influenced by Green Day we talk only about All Time Low, Fall Out Boy, My Chemical Romance, Blink 182, Sum 41 and New Found Glory.

What about Rise Against? The Living End? Yellowcard? Anti-Flag? Weezer? Billy Talent? Zebrahead? Alkaline Trio? Even The Offspring clearly influenced by Green Day's

American Idiot on their album Rise and Fall, Rage and Grace as well as The Thermal's The Body, The Blood, The Machine (very good album, it came out in 2006).

I remember once I saw someone in here (I think Ceadog) say that Biffy Clyro influenced by Green Day at the beginning of their career.

The sure thing is that in the last 20 years Green Day influenced many bands and they will get into Rock & Roll Hall of Fame at some point because they worth it 100%.

Archived