Paper Lanterns

J'net

Okay, I think it's time we give 1039 some love. Don't worry, we'll get back to AI soon enough rolleyes.gif. This week's Song of the Week is Paper Lanterns, which is the song from 1039 that has the most votes for Song of the Week. Please use this thread to discuss your thoughts and feelings about the song.

Paper Lanterns was first released on the Slappy EP and later on 1039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hours. 1039 was first released in 1990 and re-released in January 2004. It has reached Gold status.

The thing I love most about this song (though there's a lot to love) is the line "To this day I'm asking why I still think about you." That one line says so much to me.

Here are a couple of great videos of this song being performed live:

Pinole Valley High School … look at all the space on that rail!!!

And this one is noted on youtube as having some "extra antics" from Billie Joe. I also love the splash screen at the end.

Paper Lanterns Lyrics

Now I rest my head from

Such an endless dreary time

A time of hopes and happiness

That had you on my mind

Those days are gone and now it seems

As if I'll get some rest

But now and then I'll see you again

And if it puts my heart to the test

So when are all my troubles gonna end?

I'm understanding now that

We are only friends

To this day I'm asking why

I still think about you

As the days go on I wonder

Will this ever end

I find it hard to keep control

When you're with your boyfriend

I do not mind if all I am is

Just a friend to you

But all i want to know right now

Is if you think about me too.

We are only friends

I still think about you

We are only friends

I still think about you

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can nominate songs for discussion as Song of the Week in the Song Discussions thread, which contains links to each previous Song of the Week from 9/14/2009 forward in its original post.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

oh my gosh

I'm so happy this song is this week's song of the week. It's a little funny to me because I was listening to this song so often this week.

I really love this song. My favourite lyric part is the same as yours :).

:happy: We can totally stick with that album and have each song off it be the next few SOTW! I'm in love with this song, that's all I can think of saying right now! Great choice!

second faviorate green day song ever

next time i see them im bringing a sign for this i love this song to death

Ah, Paper Lanterns is amazing! It's my favorite off of 1039/SOSH, and definitely one of my top Green Day songs in general. I've felt this way so many times, and I still remember the first time I heard it, I felt an instant connection. I love it SO much :wub: Those vids are great too!

The thing I love most about this song (though there's a lot to love) is the line "To this day I'm asking why I still think about you." That one line says so much to me.

Me too! That, and

'But all i want to know right now

Is if you think about me too.'

The way he sings it is just awesome!

I think it's a song that most all of us can relate to, probably everyone has a special someone (or several of them) that this song brings to mind.

those VIDEOS!!!!!!!! i am DYING! those were hysterical videos to watch...just what i needed for a monday. cant stop giggling...

Aaaw I'm so happy you picked Paper Lanterns :wub: One of those GD songs that will always be special for me.

I also like the way Billie sings 'That had you on my mind' :P

OMG thank you!

Paper Lanterns is my fav off of 1039SOSH, and also one of my favorite Green Day songs of all time :wub:

Ah, Paper Lanterns is amazing! It's my favorite off of 1039/SOSH, and definitely one of my top Green Day songs in general. I've felt this way so many times, and I still remember the first time I heard it, I felt an instant connection. I love it SO much :wub: Those vids are great too!

Same!! I remember listening to 1039/SOSH for the first time when I was like 12 or something, and I heard this one and I just thought it was incredible. It is my favourite Green Day song of all time :D

This is one of my fave GD songs, love it so much. I, like Emma, think it is one of the best songs ever!

Awww, I'm totally in love with Paper Lanterns. It's probably one of my favorite Green Day songs ever.

And you just have to love those videos as well. :lol: I really like how they play so serious even if just 5 people or so are watching.

This used to be my absolute favourite song :wub:

I remember once at school when I was really young we had to bring in some song lyrics we really liked, so I brought in this and everyone had brought like Avril Lavigne lyrics or whatever and were just like :huh: wtf is this shit?

im so so happy this is song of the week! Definitely in like my top 5 favorite Green Day songs, i wish they would still play it live

it was one of the first songs i really identified with

i really love how anyone basically can reality to it because its about something in life everyone goes through.

Billie says is the best:

"So when are all my troubles gonna end?

We are only friends

I still think about you"

i think at one point of another we've all had this problem of unrequited love, well not really love, but at least "like"

I really love this song. :)

I believe everyone can identify with this song, because well y'know, everyone's had something like this in their lives.

Great choice!

I absolutely love this song! It was one of the first songs I heard from Green Day back at a time when I wouldn't call myself a fan because I just discovered them and after hearing this song I felt as if they were writing a song about what is going on in my mind and I completely fell in love with that song and the whole band!

Thank you for writing such awesome songs!

I first heard this when I searched Green Day mud fight on YouTube and a commenter says that this was the name of the song. It's funny because back then I didn't own 1039, and when billie played live he would come up to sing, and then like move down to play guitar harder when he wasn't singing. But he came down too soon so "To this day I'm asking why I still think about you" became: "To this day I'm asking why I still think about-" :D

Also I was telling my friend today: It's really funny because when GD made their first album, Billie was kind of a loser so he keeps on singing about girls he can't have (but then he met Adie during Kerplunk and he toned it down lol)There are like 4 1039SOSH songs that aren't about girls lol. Then she responded by saying all ABBA songs are about love. ALL.

Side note: WTF, Paramore are thrashing LP :cry: . Lol I can imagine LP being like "hey, they're winning we should vote!... ah fuck it."

im so so happy this is song of the week! Definitely in like my top 5 favorite Green Day songs, i wish they would still play it live

it was one of the first songs i really identified with

i really love how anyone basically can reality to it because its about something in life everyone goes through.

Billie says is the best:

"So when are all my troubles gonna end?

We are only friends

I still think about you"

i think at one point of another we've all had this problem of unrequited love, well not really love, but at least "like"

Yeah, I could identify even though I don't love the person lol, I just thought we were close friends at least but apparently we're not :dry:

Omg I just realised there's another part that relates to me as well! (But now and then I'll see you again and it puts my heart to the test) Basically, me and above friend have gone with whole other groups so she's kinda forgotten about me so I try to forget her, but once in a while she'll say hi and we start to talk and it's like old times again and it makes me realise i kinda miss it :(

Fantastic choice. :happy: It's one of my favorite songs off 1039/SOSH.

There was a period of my life when I was listening to this song pretty often. Sad times.

It's a wonderful song, and I really like the lyrics. It's like everyone can take something from this song for themselves.

I remember first hearing this song and loving it. I still do, just not as much.

Mainly because this kid did a not-so-great cover of it for the talent show when I was a Sophomore(over 3 years ago), and it hasn't been the same since.

But still, Paper Lanterns gets a :thumbsup:.

Archived