Wake Me Up When September Ends

J'net

This week’s Song of the Week is Wake Me up When September Ends. Please use this thread to discuss your thoughts and feelings about the song.

Wake Me up When September Ends was first released on the American Idiot album in 2005 and later released as the album’s 4th single. The single peaked at #6 on the charts.

This song is commonly understood to be about the death of Billie’s father; however, its performance in the American Idiot theatrical production demonstrated that it can apply to many stories – it’s really quite universal in nature.

Here are a couple of videos of Wake Me up When September Ends being performed live. The first is on KROQ’s Almost Acoustic Christmas (December 12, 2004) in honor of Johnny Ramone. Johnny had just died on September 15 of that year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoBaZmmdluM

Wake Me up When September Ends Lyrics

Summer has come and passed

The innocent can never last

Wake me up when September ends

Like my father’s come to pass

Seven years has gone so fast

Here comes the rain again

Falling from the stars

Drenched in my pain again

Becoming who we are

As my memory rests

But never forgets what I lost

Ring out the bells again

Like we did when spring began

Here comes the rain again

Falling from the stars

Becoming who we are

As my memory rests

But never forgets what I lost

Like my father's come to pass

Twenty years has gone so fast

You can nominate songs for discussion as Song of the Week in the Song Discussions thread, which contains links to each previous Song of the Week from 9/14/2009 forward in its original post.

I will start a new index for Songs of the Week since we’re starting over from scratch. Next week, you’ll be able to view the list of previous Song of the Week threads in the index.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is such a brilliant song. I can't help but get quite depressed when I listen to it.

It means a lot to me. :wub:

Good choice for this week (month :D ).

I remember that I didn't like it at all when I listened to it for the first time... it was so sad and slow. But later, it became one of my favorite songs, especially live. It's just awesome.

Excellent choice for the month! I love this song, starting with the slow guitar intro all the way to the more powerful part towards the middle.

The lyrics that stand out for me are:

Here comes the rain again, falling from the stars

Drenched in my pain again, becoming who we are..

And now, my mind automatically goes to the excellent choreography that was performed to this song in the AI musical. Just trying to fit in or do what society expects of you, at the same time wanting to be individual.

Excellent choice for the month! I love this song, starting with the slow guitar intro all the way to the more powerful part towards the middle.

And now, my mind automatically goes to the excellent choreography that was performed to this song in the AI musical. Just trying to fit in or do what society expects of you, at the same time wanting to be individual.

Sara, as you know, I had the same reaction to the performance of this song in the AI musical. I love those lyrics, too. The other one that always seems so poignant to me is: "The innocent can never last." So true and so sad that, as we start to learn more about what the world is really like, we have to give up our idealistic, childish view.

WMUWSE is maybe at a bit overplayed, but I haven't got enough it and I never will. It's is one of my favorites, it's so beautiful and sad.

:wub: :wub:

It's the song that got me into Green Day, and funnily, today is my Green Day anniversary (in 3 hours and 10 minutes, to be precise xD).

I love it, it's so beautiful and sad. Still one of my favourites. :wub:

edit: whoop, didn't mean to sound so shallow.

This song is so personal to me, it's almost hard to explain why, but I'll try my best.

Back in September 2006 my grandad (who's helped raise me since the age of 2) had a stroke and was put into hospital for about 6 months. I remember on the day it happened I shut myself in my room, turned the radio on, and this was the first song that I heard. I cried my eyes out to it, but at the end of it all it made me feel like someone else had gone through a similar kind of pain as me.

It's a beautiful song. Listening to it sometimes makes me sad. I love these lines:

"Here comes the rain again

Falling from the stars

Becoming who we are"

I, however, think they could make a better video.

^ This. The most powerful lyrics in the song IMO. I think Billie is describing how the emotional wounds we experience in life become a part of us even after we think they're long, long past.

It's a beautiful song. Listening to it sometimes makes me sad. I love these lines:

"Here comes the rain again

Falling from the stars

Becoming who we are"

I, however, think they could make a better video.

Yeah, I was very disappointed in the video for this song in many ways.

yeah the vid was a complete fail, with the overacting and crazy war shit

but the actual band part was amazing and beautiful. simplicity is key

anywho this song is not a favorite of mine but it's definitely on my mellow playlist when I need to relax or have a good cry

lyrically it's one of their strongest songs yet

aww..i knew this song would be song of the week :happy:

but yea, i love it. its simple but beautiful...

unfortunately a lil overplayed everywhere

This was the second song I got really into when I discovered the band. I remember those nights when I lay in bed, listening to this song on my headphones over and over and over until I fell asleep :happy:

It´s a really beautiful song, simple and yet very inspriring. I especially love the line "Becoming who we are" and made a design with it for a tattoo. Hopefully, I can use it one day.

And besides that, it´s the first and only GD song I can play on guitar.

Perfect choice.

Until a few days ago I wrote WMUWSE everywhere, well because I want this year's September to end already but also I can associate with many parts of its lyrics.

This is the only song of theirs that I can play on the piano from beginning to end. And as Anja, the first song of theirs that I learnt on guitar. :)

I think it goes perfect listening it on a such cloudy/rainy September day that we're having here today :happy:

Also I must agree with Samantha that lyrically it's one of their strongest songs yet.

^ This. The most powerful lyrics in the song IMO. I think Billie is describing how the emotional wounds we experience in life become a part of us even after we think they're long, long past.

Yes! And we learn from all our experiences, both good and bad. But the emotional pain that we sometimes feel helps us reflect on who we are, and what we would like to become.

Sara, as you know, I had the same reaction to the performance of this song in the AI musical. I love those lyrics, too. The other one that always seems so poignant to me is: "The innocent can never last." So true and so sad that, as we start to learn more about what the world is really like, we have to give up our idealistic, childish view.

Another good line, J'net. Children are so open, positive...Then as we start growing up and seeing all the negative things going on in the world, we lose some of those qualities.

I love this song...

Awesome :happy:

I was never a big fan of the video but then like J'net said "it can apply to many stories – it’s really quite universal in nature", I remember I was reading the youtube comments a while ago and there was loads of people saying how they've either lost someone who was in Iraq in the army or knew someone who was going to Iraq.

It made me appreciate the video much more because they have something to like connect with. I still think that Sam Bayer was taking the video/song more in his own direction and become a bit of an ego maniac with it, but at least more people can connect with the song.

awesome song! actually my favorite off of American Idiot...

I totally understand BJ's feelings, this song speaks so much to me

Archived