American Eulogy

J'net

This song is interesting in several ways - the two parts and the way they relate to each other as well as the fact that Mike sings most of the second part come to mind immediately. Billie commented that,

"That’s two songs in one: one called either Mass Hysteria or This Riot Sucks and the other Modern World. It swirls all the information that’s going on in the record around in an emotional blender. At the end, it’s going to sound like a wall of TV screens. It’s sensory overload."

Please share your thoughts about this song here.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Totally hated this when i heard it first time round...now i like it...i love the bit when billie sings "i am a nation without bureaucratic ties, deny the allegation as its written...fucking lies!" Love it :wub:

Another possible favourite, the bridge in Mass Hysteria is simply brilliant, rest of the songs are great as well. I gotta say that I like the ending better live.. :)

Totally hated this when i heard it first time round...now i like it...i love the bit when billie sings "i am a nation without bureaucratic ties, deny the allegation as its written...fucking lies!" Love it :wub:

That is my favourite line too!

MASS HYSTERIA!

I love this song!

I hope they play it on their tour

I love this song. My favorite part is Mike's part. I love how he gets to sing a little on this album.

Oh! And my favoritest line in the whole song is "I don't give a shit about the modern age!"

It makes me want to jump around

^ lol YES! i do this little retard dance when it comes on!

the song, in my eyes, should have been the wrap-up song. it really lays out all the hipocracy and confusion right on the table, and

being all "pfft fuck this man, why the hell bother with all this crap going on? i dont wanna live in the modern world". Like they're sick of it, DUH!

i wish! wish! wish! that i could be memorizing the lyrics as quickly has i have on past albums (and the other songs off the record).

It just goes so quickly, and i can't carry around the special edition book to read all the time. BUT i will hopefully by the end of the summer hehe.

Mike's voice is refreshing, its like all of a sudden there's another person in the room! cuz for 16 tracks it's been You, Billie and his split 'characters' all in winding unison,

and then BANG! wow thats right there's someone else here too! lol he should sing more, but we'll get plenty of that when the new Network album comes out im sure <3

I love this song soooooo much! :wub:

Both parts are amazing, but its great that Mike gets his own part.

I love playing along with the it on my guitar.

Really great song, hope they play it on tour :happy:

Love the part "Calling Christian and Gloria"

and...Mike's voice :wub:

Oh! And my favoritest line in the whole song is "I don't give a shit about the modern age!"

It makes me want to jump around

This :wub:

I FUCKING LOVE THIS SONG. Its like rage condensed into a big a big song.

Yeah this song is definitely one of my favorites on the record. I don't think I can choose between Mass Hysteria and Modern Age

Well,I'm probably the one, but I don't really like Mike's voice in THAT song.....I'd better listen to him singing smth else.As well as Tre!!sorry guys!

The bit where mass hysteria goes into modern world is my favourite part on the whole album. It kind of sums up the whole song in music

This was actually the only song that got me excited the first time I went through the album.

I remember it being a relief that they even managed to produce one good song on the album.

Well that changed during the 2nd time through (as I began to like ~ 14 songs),but this is still one of my all time favorite songs from Green Day along with Castaway, American Idiot and Westbound Sign.

I love everything in this song; the lyrics, the melodies, Mass Hysteria, Modern World, The bridge between them, absolutely everything.

Mike :o

Oh, Mike :wub:

I like this song but I get tired of all the "Mass Hysteria"s and I want him to shut up :lol:

Not my favorite song, but it is a good one.

I just don't enjoy listening to it that much, but I like it a lot. Does that makes sense?

Some people on the boards and some of my friends, have been saying this song is average and just alright, but I have to totally disagree! This song is EPIC! The lyrics are amazing, the instrumentation is amazing, everything about this song is fucking amazing :D Plus Mike sings and his voice is such a nice contrast to Billie's melodic voice, his is way more punk sounding. I dunno, I know the lyrics to every song on the album by heart by now just from simply listening to it everyday, but I can definitely say I know this song like the back of my hand. Easily my fave on the album.

Powerful song. When Billie sings "There's a disturbance..." and it sounds like he is talking over a loud speaker it sounds so amazing in headphones!! And Modern World. What more can i say! Mike is amazing in this! I loved it when he sang "Nobody Likes You" but this puts him over the top!! I love the line: "And I don't give a shit about the modern age!" Awesome. Epic. Music.

I also am in love with the "Vigilantes warning ya. Calling Christian and Gloria" line that leads into Modern World.

"Well I don't give a shit about the modern age" is my other favorite part.

American Eulogy is actually among my favs of the album. It makes you want to fuckin move, man. ^_^

I'm not a fan of how the song starts in with the chorus right away. They do the same thing on Murder City. But once you get past that, it's really a fantastic song. Makes you think a lot. I agree with Ila Reto that it should have been the final song.

Archived