Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Lights Out, Hearts Collide, and the American Idiot B-Sides

• Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

Katarina.

Katarina.
  • Wanderlust

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,931 posts
  • Joined Sep 27, 2007
  • 3,263 rep
No.

Insomniac186

Insomniac186
  • Brat

• PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Joined Nov 20, 2006
  • 14 rep
QUOTE (Juliette @ May 13 2009, 11:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's what I thought but the only one I saw available didn;t have any other songs on it confused.gif

Try eBay or check your local record store. They're out there.

Luci_Minority

Luci_Minority
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
  • Joined Jan 13, 2009
  • 1 rep
Interesting but I don't know... ermm.gif

Miss. Awesome

Miss. Awesome
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • Joined Dec 30, 2009
  • 0 rep
good theroy...but im not biten it srry

rinu

rinu
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts
  • Joined Mar 07, 2009
  • 7 rep
no it isnt but maybe...

Anja

Anja
  • We are what we believe!

• 13,376 posts
  • Joined Dec 29, 2007
  • 1,389 rep
Interesting theory and I actually have to agree that it sounds like the AI b-sides, LO at least. But I´m not really sure what to think about it unsure.gif

tq6993

tq6993
  • Brat

• PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • Joined Apr 24, 2008
  • 0 rep
wow. thats a really great theory! but thats all it is, a theory. i dont think that they would take a whole album worth of songs and issue them as B-sides for years and years after they decided to scrap the album itself. becuase im sure 21stCB has its own b-sides. and the C&V songs would be taking the spaces of the actual 21stCB b-sides. it just doesnt seem like someting GD would do.

Zalex

Zalex
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,684 posts
  • Joined May 01, 2006
  • 25 rep
Horseshoes And Handgrenades was written 5 years ago as well.
I think this is just something we'll never know.

brainstews

brainstews
  • Little One

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Joined May 20, 2008
  • 0 rep
Personally I think C&V was actually Money Money 2020... they were joking about having the masters stolen just to further the whole network vs green day debate at the time. I think the band may have recorded an album, or at least the demo's and then decided it wasn't up to their standards, so they scrapped it and started over. It was said that they used the FBHT album as a release and an escape from recording 21CBD, so I theorize that Money Money 2020 was done in the same fashion. They were experimenting with how they wrote songs during American Idiot (ala the coming up with little 30 second songs that eventually turned into J of S and Homecoming) so I think the network album may have been a by product of wine and boredom and experimenting with song writing styles. Remember in an interview recently they said they had a big wheel of musical styles, and they would spin the wheel and try to write a tune in said style. I believe they have been doing this since the AI sessions.

So to sum it up, Money money 2020 is the "stolen" album they speak of (or joke about at our expense thumbsup.gif )

Just a theory of course!

On topic, I believe these b-sides are and were recorded for 21stCB and just didn't make the album. The lyrical content flows to easily into 21stCB.

Juan

Juan
  • Baptist Blacktick

• 13,081 posts
  • Joined Apr 13, 2008
  • 63 rep
I don't think so

myprivateale

myprivateale
  • Welcome to Paradise

• Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Joined Apr 12, 2009
  • 0 rep
I think if someone had really stolen the tapes they would have been leaked somewhere by now to be honest

I like the fact that listening to the new album i can hear bits of the warning album, the network and FBHT in the new songs particuarly the last third of it. having all them types of music included really adds to the diversity of it and i am enjoying it much more than i thought i would.

I love shoplifter and lights out but i thought Too Much Too Soon was a shocker and sounds scarily like the Anthem by Good Charlotte ph34r.gif

So i enjoyed reading your theory but sadly i cant agree

TheBullwinkle

TheBullwinkle
  • Dominated Love Slave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,878 posts
  • Joined Oct 13, 2005
  • 17 rep
QUOTE (myprivateale @ May 13 2009, 02:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think if someone had really stolen the tapes they would have been leaked somewhere by now to be honest

I agree. I would go so far as to suggest that they stole the tapes from themselves... whistling.gif

Insomniac186

Insomniac186
  • Brat

• PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Joined Nov 20, 2006
  • 14 rep
For those that disagree, one would think if those songs were from the actual AI and 21CBD recording sessions, that the credits would be consistent with the albums. For the most part they aren't. The main producers, Rob Cavallo and Butch Vig aren't credited anywhere (with one exception).

liquorhill

liquorhill
  • Brat

• PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Joined Apr 05, 2005
  • 0 rep
QUOTE (Insomniac186 @ May 13 2009, 01:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
After listening to Lights Out and Heart Collide, which are the latest Green Day b-sides, I couldn't hep but notice that they have several similarities to the American Idiot b-sides. Similar production, similar song structure, and oh yeah-a similar engineer (Chris Dugan). Chris Dugan and Reto Peter engineered The Network album as well as most of American Idiot b-sides. Chris Dugan also produced the Foxboro Hot Tubs album.

Here is a breakdown of non-album Green Day tracks released since 2004 along with the producer and or engineer.

I Fought The Law (Uncredited, unless anyone knows otherwise)
Favorite Son (Rob Cavallo/Doug McKean, according to the Japanese version of American Idiot)
Too Much Too Soon (Reto Peter)
Shoplifter (Chris Dugan/Reto Peter)
Governator (Chris Dugan/Reto Peter)
Lights Out (Chris Dugan)
Hearts Collide (Chris Dugan)

Aside from the first two tracks, this easily proves that none of these songs come from the actual recording sessions for either American Idiot or 21st Century Breakdown. Given their similarities, I'd say that these were recorded around 2002/2003, probably around or at the same time as the sessions for "Money Money 2020." Lights Out and Hearts Collide may have also been recorded around the time "Stop Drop And Roll" was recorded. Could we really be hearing the "lost album" without even knowing it? My theory is that the master tapes were never "accidentally" thrown away. The band probably just decided to start over, and the songs that weren't worth re-recording could simply be issued as b-sides. Either that or perhaps they were just demos of some sort that were good enough to release.

Any thoughts, opinions, or theories?

rabble rabble rabble.. bla bla bla.. who cares?????????????????????????

Insomniac186

Insomniac186
  • Brat

• PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Joined Nov 20, 2006
  • 14 rep
QUOTE (liquorhill @ May 13 2009, 03:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
rabble rabble rabble.. bla bla bla.. who cares?????????????????????????

Hey man, I was just curious. Apparently you care enough to post a reply.

Advertising

GreenDayGummyBear

GreenDayGummyBear
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • Joined Mar 20, 2009
  • 0 rep
QUOTE (brainstews @ May 13 2009, 04:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Personally I think C&V was actually Money Money 2020... they were joking about having the masters stolen just to further the whole network vs green day debate at the time. I think the band may have recorded an album, or at least the demo's and then decided it wasn't up to their standards, so they scrapped it and started over. It was said that they used the FBHT album as a release and an escape from recording 21CBD, so I theorize that Money Money 2020 was done in the same fashion. They were experimenting with how they wrote songs during American Idiot (ala the coming up with little 30 second songs that eventually turned into J of S and Homecoming) so I think the network album may have been a by product of wine and boredom and experimenting with song writing styles. Remember in an interview recently they said they had a big wheel of musical styles, and they would spin the wheel and try to write a tune in said style. I believe they have been doing this since the AI sessions.

So to sum it up, Money money 2020 is the "stolen" album they speak of (or joke about at our expense thumbsup.gif )

Just a theory of course!

On topic, I believe these b-sides are and were recorded for 21stCB and just didn't make the album. The lyrical content flows to easily into 21stCB.

i agree with this guy. the topics theory is good, but i think this is something that green day would do. Heck, its what i would do. exactly y they will never admit that they are the network, cause they stole thier own albums. remeber in the radio interveiw how mike said 'they liked to cheat on themselves' and they all laughed? i think it is an inside joke with them. very possible

conley

conley
  • I think it's alright

• 9,043 posts
  • Joined May 19, 2008
  • 186 rep
I believe C&V never happened

Andrick

Andrick
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,643 posts
  • Joined Mar 12, 2006
  • 0 rep
good detective work but no

MusicalDeviant

MusicalDeviant
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,946 posts
  • Joined Feb 21, 2007
  • 10 rep
QUOTE (Insomniac186 @ May 12 2009, 10:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
After listening to Lights Out and Heart Collide, which are the latest Green Day b-sides, I couldn't hep but notice that they have several similarities to the American Idiot b-sides. Similar production, similar song structure, and oh yeah-a similar engineer (Chris Dugan). Chris Dugan and Reto Peter engineered The Network album as well as most of American Idiot b-sides. Chris Dugan also produced the Foxboro Hot Tubs album.

Here is a breakdown of non-album Green Day tracks released since 2004 along with the producer and or engineer.

I Fought The Law (Uncredited, unless anyone knows otherwise)
Favorite Son (Rob Cavallo/Doug McKean, according to the Japanese version of American Idiot)
Too Much Too Soon (Reto Peter)
Shoplifter (Chris Dugan/Reto Peter)
Governator (Chris Dugan/Reto Peter)
Lights Out (Chris Dugan)
Hearts Collide (Chris Dugan)

Aside from the first two tracks, this easily proves that none of these songs come from the actual recording sessions for either American Idiot or 21st Century Breakdown. Given their similarities, I'd say that these were recorded around 2002/2003, probably around or at the same time as the sessions for "Money Money 2020." Lights Out and Hearts Collide may have also been recorded around the time "Stop Drop And Roll" was recorded. Could we really be hearing the "lost album" without even knowing it? My theory is that the master tapes were never "accidentally" thrown away. The band probably just decided to start over, and the songs that weren't worth re-recording could simply be issued as b-sides. Either that or perhaps they were just demos of some sort that were good enough to release.

Any thoughts, opinions, or theories?

No shit the tapes weren't lost or "accidentally" thrown away. That doesn't happen in modern recording. An entire set of master tapes don't just disappear. From what we know, apparently Rob Cavallo confirmed that the tapes were not very good. What happened to them is a mystery, but the reasons for why they probably did in the first place aren't.

But Hearts Collide could be from C&V. I mean, "you're the card in my valentine" does sound mighty suspicious.

TheBullwinkle

TheBullwinkle
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 3,878 posts
  • Joined Oct 13, 2005
  • 17 rep
QUOTE (MusicalDeviant @ May 13 2009, 07:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No shit the tapes weren't lost or "accidentally" thrown away. That doesn't happen in modern recording. An entire set of master tapes don't just disappear. From what we know, apparently Rob Cavallo confirmed that the tapes were not very good. What happened to them is a mystery, but the reasons for why they probably did in the first place aren't.

But Hearts Collide could be from C&V. I mean, "you're the card in my valentine" does sound mighty suspicious.

Billie has said that only a couple of songs from C&V were any good. "Hearts Collide" seems to be a likely candidate.

Fuzz

Fuzz
  • Professional Cocksmith

• 38,339 posts
  • Joined May 28, 2004
  • 15,497 rep
No.

MusicalDeviant

MusicalDeviant
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,946 posts
  • Joined Feb 21, 2007
  • 10 rep
QUOTE (TheBullwinkle @ May 13 2009, 07:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Billie has said that only a couple of songs from C&V were any good. "Hearts Collide" seems to be a likely candidate.

Seems a bit like an "apology to wife" song.

TheBullwinkle

TheBullwinkle
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 3,878 posts
  • Joined Oct 13, 2005
  • 17 rep
QUOTE (MusicalDeviant @ May 13 2009, 08:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Seems a bit like an "apology to wife" song.

Yeah, a "Sorry I keep kissing Tré, I just can't help it" song.

MusicalDeviant

MusicalDeviant
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,946 posts
  • Joined Feb 21, 2007
  • 10 rep
QUOTE (TheBullwinkle @ May 13 2009, 08:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, a "Sorry I keep kissing Tré, I just can't help it" song.

Adie should try to fucking understand. Tré's irresistible. You cannot help BUT kiss him. And screw him. Repeatedly. For years upon years. Until one of you dies.

Maybe Lights Out is a song about life without Tré's lovin'.

Maybe C&V was an album filled with Tré love songs, and Adie found out about it, so she destroyed the tapes. That seems highly likely.

IzButt

IzButt
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,375 posts
  • Joined Jan 14, 2009
  • 2 rep
QUOTE (MusicalDeviant @ May 13 2009, 08:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Adie should try to fucking understand. Tré's irresistible. You cannot help BUT kiss him. And screw him. Repeatedly. For years upon years. Until one of you dies.

Maybe C&V was an album filled with Tré love songs, and Adie found out about it, so she destroyed the tapes. That seems highly likely.

Hahahahaha <3

TheBullwinkle

TheBullwinkle
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 3,878 posts
  • Joined Oct 13, 2005
  • 17 rep
QUOTE (MusicalDeviant @ May 13 2009, 08:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Your theory is flawless; I approve. Except the part about screwing Tré until one of us dies. I'd keep screwing.
  • Doctor of Pepper likes this

MusicalDeviant

MusicalDeviant
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,946 posts
  • Joined Feb 21, 2007
  • 10 rep
QUOTE (TheBullwinkle @ May 13 2009, 08:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Your theory is flawless; I approve. Except the part about screwing Tré until one of us dies. I'd keep screwing.

I had that originally: "And if its Tré, then keep right on screwing"

I thought it would be a bit much though.

Adie is ruthless in her jealousy of Tré. Its been obvious for years.

I mean, she always visits them on tour to keep a watchful eye on Billie Joe and Tré. The man is bisexual, lustful, lonely, horny, and in the presence of Tré-fucking-Cool.

A man has needs, Adie. Christ!

IzButt

IzButt
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,375 posts
  • Joined Jan 14, 2009
  • 2 rep
QUOTE (MusicalDeviant @ May 13 2009, 08:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I mean, she always visits them on tour to keep a watchful eye on Billie Joe and Tré. The man is bisexual, lustful, lonely, horny, and in the presence of Tré-fucking-Cool.

laugh.gif Hahahahaha I love this.

Shit it's true ermm.gif

TheBullwinkle

TheBullwinkle
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 3,878 posts
  • Joined Oct 13, 2005
  • 17 rep
QUOTE (MusicalDeviant @ May 13 2009, 08:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Dude, the grossness of necrophilia doesn't even apply when we're talking about Tré. I can understand Billie's struggle to not fuck Tré; I mean, he's Tré. But if I were a straight/bi man, I'd totally do Adie, too. Poor confused Billie. Stuck between two hot pieces of ass.

MusicalDeviant

MusicalDeviant
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,946 posts
  • Joined Feb 21, 2007
  • 10 rep
QUOTE (TheBullwinkle @ May 13 2009, 08:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dude, the grossness of necrophilia doesn't even apply when we're talking about Tré. I can understand Billie's struggle to not fuck Tré; I mean, he's Tré. But if I were a straight/bi man, I'd totally do Adie, too. Poor confused Billie. Stuck between two hot pieces of ass.

Stuck between two hot pieces of ass? I thought Billie Joe wasn't just fucking Tré? (ba dum chh)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users