Lights Out, Hearts Collide, and the American Idiot B-Sides

Insomniac186

It's possible that they just re-recorded songs off Cigarettes and Valentines. I mean, i'm sure the songs were never completely lost. They might even changed over the years (especially the song titles).

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't get why people think the mentioning of the word 'valentine' would be a hint to something about cigarettes & valentines. I mean, is kerplunk a word in any of the Kerplunk! songs? Do they mention 'dookie' or 'nimrod' in songs from those albums? Don't think so.

Id like them to reuse the name for maybe the next album though, it would get huge publicity through that name, plus its an awesome title!

it would get huge publicity through that name, plus its an awesome title!

Better than "21st Century Breakdown" at least.

:ninja:

Better than "21st Century Breakdown" at least.

:ninja:

I like 21st. But I agree, as a stand alone title..it's really just meh. In fact, I didn't like it when I first heard them announce it. Now that I have the album/concept..I like it more.

Id like them to reuse the name for maybe the next album though, it would get huge publicity through that name, plus its an awesome title!

My band's 1st album is going to be called like that xD im getting the publicity :D

ive just listened to lights out and hearts collide again after i remembered this thread and hearts collide and lights out were defo recorded for this album, i heard that beach boys and beatles were inspirations for green day while making this album and i can defo hear that in these songs!!!

Well you can't really count "I Fought The Law" that was originally a song by Sonny Curtis and the Crickets, and then later famously covered by The Clash. But I'd have to say I disagree with this theory, generaly bands always have B-sides off albums, I think these songs are nothing more than that. I still go for the Money Money 2020 theory :D

The only reason i think this could be true is those songs don't fit into either stories, American Idiot or 21st Century Breakdown. And why would the band record music that could make an album when it doesn't fit into the story you're going into the studio with?

• 5 months later...

sorry for the bump but having not purchased the single i was late hearing these songs

wondering about the origins of them; someone who bought the disc, is there not a recording date / studio location in the cd booklet?

But I ask myself..When bands make a new record, they will have more than only one copy..So why didn't Green Day took the other copy?

Another 'lost' album theory. As a long time Brian Wilson fan it makes me SMiLE to read threads like this. Trust me you will do your heads in and waste energy, do not go there. Beach Boys fans discussed, theorized and argued about SMiLE for over 30 years.

If/when the band wants to let you know the truth, they will.

tvrman

part ov me think that they destroyed the album thinking the songs werent a great standard and started again

the C&C theories are starting to get so tiresome, the fact is, we will never know for sure. I think its possible that maybe some parts of the C&V songs were rehashed and used in some of the newer songs, maybe a few lyrics too possibly but thats about as far as I can see it going.

when/where was it confirmed that the album was called cigarettes and valentines?

I think you're completely wrong. The production is a lot more similar to the 21cb style, not to mention BJ's voice sounds slightly different than it did on AI.

and Chris Dugan also did 21st Century Breakdown.

I don't think they would have used the original Lights Out recording. They probably would have re-recorded it.

I wouldn't be surprised if elements of "Cigarettes and Valentines" made it on 21st Century Breakdown or the B-Sides.

This is what I think.

I think LO sounds a lot like older green day, so i'm not sure about c+v, but LO and HC are very much in their own sort of style, or at least that's what I think, and it is a possiblility, and i do think c+v was made mastertape, but I'm not sure it was stolen. I think one of the band have it :)

nice theory though!

I wouldn't be surprised if elements of "Cigarettes and Valentines" made it on 21st Century Breakdown or the B-Sides.

This is what I think.

I think LO sounds a lot like older green day, so i'm not sure about c+v, but LO and HC are very much in their own sort of style, or at least that's what I think, and it is a possiblility, and i do think c+v was made mastertape, but I'm not sure it was stolen. I think one of the band have it :)

nice theory though!

• 4 years later...

Archived