Lights Out, Hearts Collide, and the American Idiot B-Sides

Insomniac186

Well, I figure if Lights Out and Hearts Collide were recorded for 21CBD, they would at least say "Produced by Butch Vig" in the credits but it doesn't. Green Day themselves get the production credit. They also sound more low-budget; just listen to any song from 21CBD back-to-back with either of the b-sides.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ahhhh, and Hearts Collide and Lights out were left from the album because they dident fit with the story, because they were made for C&V...Say it was true that is

Where are Hearts Collide & Lights Out available if they're not on the album ?

Where are Hearts Collide & Lights Out available if they're not on the album ?

They are available on the Know Your Enemy CD singles.

That's what I thought but the only one I saw available didn;t have any other songs on it :/

That's what I thought but the only one I saw available didn;t have any other songs on it :/

Try eBay or check your local record store. They're out there.

Interesting theory and I actually have to agree that it sounds like the AI b-sides, LO at least. But I´m not really sure what to think about it :unsure:

wow. thats a really great theory! but thats all it is, a theory. i dont think that they would take a whole album worth of songs and issue them as B-sides for years and years after they decided to scrap the album itself. becuase im sure 21stCB has its own b-sides. and the C&V songs would be taking the spaces of the actual 21stCB b-sides. it just doesnt seem like someting GD would do.

Horseshoes And Handgrenades was written 5 years ago as well.

I think this is just something we'll never know.

Personally I think C&V was actually Money Money 2020... they were joking about having the masters stolen just to further the whole network vs green day debate at the time. I think the band may have recorded an album, or at least the demo's and then decided it wasn't up to their standards, so they scrapped it and started over. It was said that they used the FBHT album as a release and an escape from recording 21CBD, so I theorize that Money Money 2020 was done in the same fashion. They were experimenting with how they wrote songs during American Idiot (ala the coming up with little 30 second songs that eventually turned into J of S and Homecoming) so I think the network album may have been a by product of wine and boredom and experimenting with song writing styles. Remember in an interview recently they said they had a big wheel of musical styles, and they would spin the wheel and try to write a tune in said style. I believe they have been doing this since the AI sessions.

So to sum it up, Money money 2020 is the "stolen" album they speak of (or joke about at our expense :thumbsup: )

Just a theory of course!

On topic, I believe these b-sides are and were recorded for 21stCB and just didn't make the album. The lyrical content flows to easily into 21stCB.

I think if someone had really stolen the tapes they would have been leaked somewhere by now to be honest

I like the fact that listening to the new album i can hear bits of the warning album, the network and FBHT in the new songs particuarly the last third of it. having all them types of music included really adds to the diversity of it and i am enjoying it much more than i thought i would.

I love shoplifter and lights out but i thought Too Much Too Soon was a shocker and sounds scarily like the Anthem by Good Charlotte :ninja:

So i enjoyed reading your theory but sadly i cant agree

I think if someone had really stolen the tapes they would have been leaked somewhere by now to be honest

I agree. I would go so far as to suggest that they stole the tapes from themselves... :whistling:

For those that disagree, one would think if those songs were from the actual AI and 21CBD recording sessions, that the credits would be consistent with the albums. For the most part they aren't. The main producers, Rob Cavallo and Butch Vig aren't credited anywhere (with one exception).

After listening to Lights Out and Heart Collide, which are the latest Green Day b-sides, I couldn't hep but notice that they have several similarities to the American Idiot b-sides. Similar production, similar song structure, and oh yeah-a similar engineer (Chris Dugan). Chris Dugan and Reto Peter engineered The Network album as well as most of American Idiot b-sides. Chris Dugan also produced the Foxboro Hot Tubs album.

Here is a breakdown of non-album Green Day tracks released since 2004 along with the producer and or engineer.

I Fought The Law (Uncredited, unless anyone knows otherwise)

Favorite Son (Rob Cavallo/Doug McKean, according to the Japanese version of American Idiot)

Too Much Too Soon (Reto Peter)

Shoplifter (Chris Dugan/Reto Peter)

Governator (Chris Dugan/Reto Peter)

Lights Out (Chris Dugan)

Hearts Collide (Chris Dugan)

Aside from the first two tracks, this easily proves that none of these songs come from the actual recording sessions for either American Idiot or 21st Century Breakdown. Given their similarities, I'd say that these were recorded around 2002/2003, probably around or at the same time as the sessions for "Money Money 2020." Lights Out and Hearts Collide may have also been recorded around the time "Stop Drop And Roll" was recorded. Could we really be hearing the "lost album" without even knowing it? My theory is that the master tapes were never "accidentally" thrown away. The band probably just decided to start over, and the songs that weren't worth re-recording could simply be issued as b-sides. Either that or perhaps they were just demos of some sort that were good enough to release.

Any thoughts, opinions, or theories?

rabble rabble rabble.. bla bla bla.. who cares?????????????????????????

rabble rabble rabble.. bla bla bla.. who cares?????????????????????????

Hey man, I was just curious. Apparently you care enough to post a reply.

Personally I think C&V was actually Money Money 2020... they were joking about having the masters stolen just to further the whole network vs green day debate at the time. I think the band may have recorded an album, or at least the demo's and then decided it wasn't up to their standards, so they scrapped it and started over. It was said that they used the FBHT album as a release and an escape from recording 21CBD, so I theorize that Money Money 2020 was done in the same fashion. They were experimenting with how they wrote songs during American Idiot (ala the coming up with little 30 second songs that eventually turned into J of S and Homecoming) so I think the network album may have been a by product of wine and boredom and experimenting with song writing styles. Remember in an interview recently they said they had a big wheel of musical styles, and they would spin the wheel and try to write a tune in said style. I believe they have been doing this since the AI sessions.

So to sum it up, Money money 2020 is the "stolen" album they speak of (or joke about at our expense :thumbsup: )

Just a theory of course!

On topic, I believe these b-sides are and were recorded for 21stCB and just didn't make the album. The lyrical content flows to easily into 21stCB.

i agree with this guy. the topics theory is good, but i think this is something that green day would do. Heck, its what i would do. exactly y they will never admit that they are the network, cause they stole thier own albums. remeber in the radio interveiw how mike said 'they liked to cheat on themselves' and they all laughed? i think it is an inside joke with them. very possible

After listening to Lights Out and Heart Collide, which are the latest Green Day b-sides, I couldn't hep but notice that they have several similarities to the American Idiot b-sides. Similar production, similar song structure, and oh yeah-a similar engineer (Chris Dugan). Chris Dugan and Reto Peter engineered The Network album as well as most of American Idiot b-sides. Chris Dugan also produced the Foxboro Hot Tubs album.

Here is a breakdown of non-album Green Day tracks released since 2004 along with the producer and or engineer.

I Fought The Law (Uncredited, unless anyone knows otherwise)

Favorite Son (Rob Cavallo/Doug McKean, according to the Japanese version of American Idiot)

Too Much Too Soon (Reto Peter)

Shoplifter (Chris Dugan/Reto Peter)

Governator (Chris Dugan/Reto Peter)

Lights Out (Chris Dugan)

Hearts Collide (Chris Dugan)

Aside from the first two tracks, this easily proves that none of these songs come from the actual recording sessions for either American Idiot or 21st Century Breakdown. Given their similarities, I'd say that these were recorded around 2002/2003, probably around or at the same time as the sessions for "Money Money 2020." Lights Out and Hearts Collide may have also been recorded around the time "Stop Drop And Roll" was recorded. Could we really be hearing the "lost album" without even knowing it? My theory is that the master tapes were never "accidentally" thrown away. The band probably just decided to start over, and the songs that weren't worth re-recording could simply be issued as b-sides. Either that or perhaps they were just demos of some sort that were good enough to release.

Any thoughts, opinions, or theories?

No shit the tapes weren't lost or "accidentally" thrown away. That doesn't happen in modern recording. An entire set of master tapes don't just disappear. From what we know, apparently Rob Cavallo confirmed that the tapes were not very good. What happened to them is a mystery, but the reasons for why they probably did in the first place aren't.

But Hearts Collide could be from C&V. I mean, "you're the card in my valentine" does sound mighty suspicious.

No shit the tapes weren't lost or "accidentally" thrown away. That doesn't happen in modern recording. An entire set of master tapes don't just disappear. From what we know, apparently Rob Cavallo confirmed that the tapes were not very good. What happened to them is a mystery, but the reasons for why they probably did in the first place aren't.

But Hearts Collide could be from C&V. I mean, "you're the card in my valentine" does sound mighty suspicious.

Billie has said that only a couple of songs from C&V were any good. "Hearts Collide" seems to be a likely candidate.

Archived