I just received/dowloaded/bought my copy of 21st CB

Marie_GD

How so? Just wondering what your perspective is on it?

For me, the album is enjoyable musically but when I listen to what he's actually saying it gets on my nerves. His writing has become rather formulaic, in my opinion. I feel like I'm hearing the same old anthems over and over again.

I really had to laugh when I heard "Coca cola execution " in The Static Age. Don't get me wrong, I still love 'em. I'll always have a soft spot for the boys but for some reason this album kinda irks me.

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For me, the album is enjoyable musically but when I listen to what he's actually saying it gets on my nerves. His writing has become rather formulaic, in my opinion. I feel like I'm hearing the same old anthems over and over again.

I really had to laugh when I heard "Coca cola execution " in The Static Age. Don't get me wrong, I still love 'em. I'll always have a soft spot for the boys but for some reason this album kinda irks me.

Hmm. I'll agree to disagree.

I don't know. I just think there's a lot to be read into this time around.

Are what you own that you cannot buy?

In my opinion, the song is about targeting materialistic values and how much it's taken over our lives. "The Big Coca Cola Corporations".

It's all about the sickening side of branding and advertising by our country in half assed efforts to get us to commit to products.

Hmm. I'll agree to disagree.

I don't know. I just think there's a lot to be read into this time around.

Are what you own that you cannot buy?

In my opinion, the song is about targeting materialistic values and how much it's taken over our lives. "The Big Coca Cola Corporations".

It's all about the sickening side of branding and advertising by our country in half assed efforts to get us to commit to products.

Right, I got the message loud and clear on that one. Their message is very clear on most songs and I think that's why I feel the way I do about the album so far. I'm just sick of being slammed in the face with these anthems about overplayed issues.

i got it from target for 7 bucks. mwa ha ha

i retract my 'this is horrible' statement i said before

because honestly, i only heard know your enemy and i didn't like

but after listening to the cd, i love it

... but know your enemy still sucks. especially as a single.

I'm on Last of the American Girls and I love it so far

:wub:

Now I'm excited to see them.

I bought it yesterday, went straight to the mall to get it after work :)

I had it on thru the whole house last night, but this morning, I had it all to

myself, in my room, with my headphones on & the lyrics in my hand...

I'm still blown away that lyrics like than can even be written...abolutely amazing!!

and I got my concerts tickets this morning!!!!! on the floor, and I'm heading the front!!!

:woot:

I definitely agree. I can't go a day without listening to Green Day, or shooting off lyrics in my head, or even thinking about what's up with the band. It's obsessive. I don't know. I have yet to meet anyone with that same intense love for the band, other than on this forum. It's just one of those things you have to...get.

You and I both had hard times explaining exactly what it is the album makes us feel; if we, two loving Green Day fans, can't explain that....intense synchronizing we have with the band to each other then there is no way in hell we could explain it to anyone else.

I love it.

You do just have to get it. I completely agree. I am lucky that even though just a couple of my friends here like Green Day they get it, because they are huge fans of other things I love too. So that helps.

So far I can not explain the album to someone else, as far as how it makes me feel and how amazing I think it is. It is funny two Green Day fans can't like us can't either. XD

I tried yesterday to explain it to people at work, because they all wanted to know. I kept prattling on about it until it came out. They were all really excited to hear what I thought, and all I could come out with is "It is just...amazing..I can not put it into words, but it completely blew me away."

I think after a few hundred more listens in teh next couple of days I will eb able to.

I'm trying to limit the times I listen to it. I listened to it this morning for a bit. But I really don't want to overdo it and make myself tired of the songs super quickly. I have a tendency to do that. I did it with the songs last week, to a degree. But I figured restraint would be best.

I'm trying to limit the times I listen to it. I listened to it this morning for a bit. But I really don't want to overdo it and make myself tired of the songs super quickly. I have a tendency to do that. I did it with the songs last week, to a degree. But I figured restraint would be best.

Eh. I was thinking about that but honestly, I didn't listen to the album at all (except KYE) before it came out. I'm gonna get my fix. haha.

You do just have to get it. I completely agree. I am lucky that even though just a couple of my friends here like Green Day they get it, because they are huge fans of other things I love too. So that helps.

So far I can not explain the album to someone else, as far as how it makes me feel and how amazing I think it is. It is funny two Green Day fans can't like us can't either. XD

I tried yesterday to explain it to people at work, because they all wanted to know. I kept prattling on about it until it came out. They were all really excited to hear what I thought, and all I could come out with is "It is just...amazing..I can not put it into words, but it completely blew me away."

I think after a few hundred more listens in teh next couple of days I will eb able to.

See, I don't have any major Green Day fans around me. Unless I'm just looking in the wrong spot haha. I'm not sure. But it's funny because normally, when I ask people if they like Green Day they alwaysalwaysalways reply "I like their older stuff."

It just makes me laugh and shake my head. Because I know they just don't get it.

They don't understand the jumps and hurdles this band has crossed over in the past almost 21 years. They don't understand that when a band is together for so long, their sound and beliefs change.

I should stop ranting.

Anyway.

I'm so happy I finally go the CD last night and I really love it. Honestly, it definitely exceeded my expectations, which were already really high.

I'm the same with explaining it, everyone thinks that I am way too obsessed and that it is not healthy, but I just appreciate the music a whole lot and love every album and this album is just amazing.

But sadly, I only have one friend who I can talk about loving Green Day with and everyone else dosen't really like them or know about them. Exept just the other day I found there's this girl I know who loves them and knows about them just as much as I do.

this is my favourite green day album and i'm not even just saying that seriously

i love how there's elements from older albums in there like a couple of songs totally remind me of misery!

its just so, schizophrenic, i fucking adore it.

finally heard the hole thing :wub:

I have no words, I'm speechless

I think I'll never post here again :lol:

See, I don't have any major Green Day fans around me. Unless I'm just looking in the wrong spot haha. I'm not sure. But it's funny because normally, when I ask people if they like Green Day they alwaysalwaysalways reply "I like their older stuff."

It just makes me laugh and shake my head. Because I know they just don't get it.

They don't understand the jumps and hurdles this band has crossed over in the past almost 21 years. They don't understand that when a band is together for so long, their sound and beliefs change.

I should stop ranting.

Anyway.

I'm so happy I finally go the CD last night and I really love it. Honestly, it definitely exceeded my expectations, which were already really high.

Exactly. I remember when Dookie came out (See, there was this whole thing of Evangelical Brainwashed Christianity that took ten years of fun away...long story, anyway...) I was about the same age as the guys. I related to the things I heard on the radio, which I listened to on the down low, my preacher boyfriend would have been pissed.

Throughout the years, even though I was not "supposed to", I was always drawn to their songs. I related to what was being said.

Finally I got out of Religion altogether. It is what works for me. American Idiot was the album that helped me through that time.

And I tell that whole thing to say, yes people change over so many years. A lot.

So back to topic, they are going to keep changing and growing, and I like that. We never know what we are going to get next.

I'm the same with explaining it, everyone thinks that I am way too obsessed and that it is not healthy, but I just appreciate the music a whole lot and love every album and this album is just amazing.

But sadly, I only have one friend who I can talk about loving Green Day with and everyone else dosen't really like them or know about them. Exept just the other day I found there's this girl I know who loves them and knows about them just as much as I do.

It is hard when you don't have anyone to talk to about something you are passionate about. I am glad you found someone that loves them though! Hopefully you guys can have a ton of discussions about the new album, and all their stuff. :)

Got the album... finally! My mom was supposed to get it this morning but my brother somehow forgot the name of the album. Of course, just a day before he was like "I want 21st Century Breakdown! I can't wait 'till tomorrow!" But we managed to go to Target and so I got the 2-disc edition with the second being a 5-song collection of live AI songs performed in Japan. It's weird to include it since all the songs are from their previous album and the performances are at least 4 years old, but whatever... of course after I got the CD, I had to wait forever to get home since I couldn't really listen to it with a 5-year-old in the car. We had to go to church (which I just find amusing because of "East Jesus Nowhere"), drive all around town... but here I am, after all this waiting!

I'm enjoying the album. "Last Night On Earth" is my favorite, by far.

I bought 21st Century Breakdown today.I got up early so I could go to the music store because it closes early on Saturdays.Only two copies were left and I was lucky enough to buy one of them.I was so hyper on the ride home that I called my best friend and told her I BOUGHT THE NEW CD!!!! And she was like okay...great.I didn't spoke with her fro a long time,because I couldn't wait to listen to 21stCBD. Then I finally got home and put the CD in the CD player and was so smiling that my jaw was hurting :lol: .I couldn't believe it was here finally.I listened to it 5 times from beginning to the end and I was so enjoying that i can't describe it to you.I am addicted right now :wub:

Is this our general 21st CB discussion thread now? I'll just assume so.

Anyway, I can't believe this record.

That's still all I'm able to say, after listening to it six times since I got it yesterday (in four different versions - yikes). And wow, it was only yesterday? It feels like forever ago! When I woke up this morning the first thing I heard in my mind was 21st Century Breakdown, and it felt like the whole album had been haunting me in my sleep.

The last two days have been amazing and I'm so happy that I waited to listen to it til the 15th - not saying that's what everyone should've done, but it was definitely worth it for me.

I've been sunburned and I've got a cold (weird combination, I know) from walking around town listening to the album, and again, I can't believe how good this album is, I can't believe that Green Day made it, I can't believe that they managed to follow up American Idiot with something like this, and I can't believe how far they've come as a band. This is definitely the soundtrack of my summer, and most probably will be for much longer than that as well.

This is not just an overwhelmed first impression from my part, cause like I said, I've listened through the whole thing six times, which is as much as I could manage. Listening to the whole album is quite an earful (?), but each time I'm once again astonished by how great it is. And how different it is. I thought it was gonna be much more like American Idiot than what it turned out to be, from all the articles and stuff I've read about it. Actually this is the kind of sound I was thinking/hoping they'd go for before we got to know anything about the record, and I couldn't be happier that I turned out to be right (and I was kind of surprised about it too). Oh - and btw I just have to add that I now officially love Butch Vig.

I'm also surprised at how incredibly sad most of the album feels, to me at least. Songs like Viva La Gloria! and 21 Guns are so heartbreakingly beautiful it's almost painful to listen to (yes, I did go there) - and 21 Guns actually made me cry. Like probably thousands of other people, I feel like that song was written for me.

And Viva La Gloria! and 21 Guns are also my *super*-favourite songs of the album, along with 21st Century Breakdown, Before the Lobotomy, Last Night on Earth, East Jesus Nowhere, Peacemaker, Murder City, Viva La Gloria? (Little Girl), Restless Heart Syndrome, and Horseshoes and Handgrenades. All of those songs are absolutely fantastic in my opinion, so the songs that are *only* good would be Know Your Enemy, Christian's Inferno, Last of the American Girls, Static Age, American Eulogy and See the Light, but many of those will probably grow on me as well. I just loved the others instantly. If I am to complain about one thing, it is the ending - I'm not too fond of American Eulogy and See the Light, and just feel that Whatsername was a much stronger closing song. But that was a perfect one so it's unfair to compare See the Light to it. But I just don't like happy endings in general, haha, so I guess I find it kind of lame that the only "positive" song on the record is the last one, but that's just me. I can see how it makes sense to have it as the ending song.

But most albums have like a couple of highlights, and this one only have a couple of songs that aren't highlights, in my opinion, which is pretty amazing. But you still need to listen to the whole thing to get the full experience, which is all I've done so far.

And even though I haven't been able to listen to it all too much, I must say that listening to it feels kind of like scratching an itch, and when the album is over, the itch is right back there again, haha. I think it's fair to say I'm pretty addicted to the whole thing.

This has been the first album for me that I've really been anticipating, and I never thought I could be blown away by it because of my ridiculous expectations, but god, I still was. Listening through the album just leaves me with the feeling of wanting to hug them all and congratulate them on managing to make this record AND top American Idiot with it (which was my favourite up until now) - but I hope they already realize what they've done and that they don't need me to tell them that, haha.

... So I guess I had more to say than just that 'I can't believe this record', haha... This probably doesn't make any sense and is probably full of errors, I apologize - and I'll probably want you all to forget this post when I've come back to my senses in a couple of weeks. :lol: I'll hopefully come back soon to say something more coherent, but right now I'm too into this album to spend any time on GDC. Just leaving my rambling two cents, can't wait to listen again tomorrow and walk out in the sun =)

EDIT: haha, reading through this post made me think 'god, is the album really that good..?' - I think I need to go listen to it again to remind myself.

Shutting up now. ;)

Simply: this record is amazing, i can't stop listening to it :wub:

Have to say I'm slightly disappointed.

It will definitely grow on me though.

Loving Murder City!

I bought it and played it all through full blast on my stereo. I was expecting more upbeat songs, but 21st Century Breakdown was awesome to start off the album.

At first I didn't like Last Night on Earth at all, it was so... un-Green Day. But the more I listen to it the more I love it!

Still, I think Horseshoes and Handgrenades, Before the Lobotomy, and Christian's Inferno are my favourites. Can't... stop... listening.

I expected the album to be something like this so i'm not dissapointed, instead i feel sad about the band that was always with me for more than 10 years. In my opinion they lost their essence, they are so different in every aspect, and the album hasnt got anything of the things i liked about them, its souless, plastic. I sadly have seen how my favourite band has become a product.

I expected the album to be something like this so i'm not dissapointed, instead i feel sad about the band that was always with me for more than 10 years. In my opinion they lost their essence, they are so different in every aspect, and the album hasnt got anything of the things i liked about them, its souless, plastic. I sadly have seen how my favourite band has become a product.

souless? really?

to me it sounds like they put everything they possibly could in to it.

Unfortunately, I feel like we listened to two separate albums.

I feel really bad for you, to be honest.

Archived