American Idiot Musical (Theatrical Production)

J'net

I have found the interview I was refering to above. It was 'Fook WKQX-FM Radio Interview 2004'. BJA says when asked about making a film of American Idiot - and I quote - "That would be, theres been people talking about it. There's no Broadway thing thats going to happen, over, over my dead body"

I wonder what it took to change his mind?

Well, no Broadway thing (something on Broadway in NY) IS happening. It's in Berkley, CA.

Wow, you can order the tickets online already! :D

I definitely would buy the tickets if I lived somewhere near Berkeley..

Well, no Broadway thing (something on Broadway in NY) IS happening. It's in Berkley, CA.

That's true, but if it's a huge hit, it could eventually end up on Broadway.

This just made me think that, if someone recorded every single thing that comes out of my mouth, it would be easy to find me contradicting something I said a year ago - let alone 5 years ago. People do change their feelings about things, and this probably wasn't presented as "Let's do a Broadway show." Also, reading some of the additional articles that have been posted, I think it took some time to talk the band into this, but they were so impressed with this director that they decided he could give it a shot.

Just my 2 cents...

^ I agree 100%

Like I already said, I would probably have hated this idea only a year ago, but now I feel different about musicals in general, and I don't hear anybody calling me out on it. :lol:

I must say it annoys me ever so slightly when people accuse them of 'selling out' or whatever when they change their mind about something.

^ I agree 100%

Like I already said, I would probably have hated this idea only a year ago, but now I feel different about musicals in general, and I don't hear anybody calling me out on it. :lol:

I must say it annoys me ever so slightly when people accuse them of 'selling out' or whatever when they change their mind about something.

If what I posted prompted you to feel as you have stated then I apologise. I wasn't meaning to claim I thought they were selling out because they changed their minds or anything of the sort. I simply wonder what it was that made them change their minds. If it was the director himself, then it would be interesting to know how he put the idea across to them.

If what I posted prompted you to feel as you have stated then I apologise. I wasn't meaning to claim I thought they were selling out because they changed their minds or anything of the sort. I simply wonder what it was that made them change their minds. If it was the director himself, then it would be interesting to know how he put the idea across to them.

Oh no, I wasn't talking about anybody's comments in particular, not even necessarily comments in this thread. It's just been an on-going thing for as long as I've been on this forum, and it can get kind of annoying at times.

I completely agree with you that it would be interesting to know what made them change their minds, because I don't believe for a second that they would get into this if they didn't want to. So the fact that they did change their minds must be a good sign for this production. :)

hey I know it's out of the topic but I can't enter to the main page of the GDA and it's freakin' me out because I can't read the news please help me !! :ermm:

hey I know it's out of the topic but I can't enter to the main page of the GDA and it's freakin' me out because I can't read the news please help me !! :ermm:

Check out this thread, and welcome to the forum! :)

That's true, but if it's a huge hit, it could eventually end up on Broadway.

This just made me think that, if someone recorded every single thing that comes out of my mouth, it would be easy to find me contradicting something I said a year ago - let alone 5 years ago. People do change their feelings about things, and this probably wasn't presented as "Let's do a Broadway show." Also, reading some of the additional articles that have been posted, I think it took some time to talk the band into this, but they were so impressed with this director that they decided he could give it a shot.

Just my 2 cents...

That's true. Billie isn't a politician, so he doesn't watch every word he says (though politicians do frequently contradict themselves).

Basically he has probably warmed up to the idea. I assume when he said "Broadway" he meant a musical-type thing. At the time he said that, he was probably hoping it would just end up as a film and that was it. With that off the table, for now at least, he is settling for a musical.

I have the feeling Billie doesn't really care for this, even though he's been positive about it so far. But yeah, he could have changed his mind in that time.

This is so fucking stupid, in my opinion. There is nothing about this that appeals to me. It bugs the shit out of me, actually.

This is a stage production, not a movie, right? Is it like Broadway or something? Because if it is, I might have troubles trying to get there to see it. I really want to, though...

This is a stage production, not a movie, right? Is it like Broadway or something? Because if it is, I might have troubles trying to get there to see it. I really want to, though...

Yeah, this is a stage production in Berkeley, California.

That's true. Billie isn't a politician, so he doesn't watch every word he says (though politicians do frequently contradict themselves).

Basically he has probably warmed up to the idea. I assume when he said "Broadway" he meant a musical-type thing. At the time he said that, he was probably hoping it would just end up as a film and that was it. With that off the table, for now at least, he is settling for a musical.

I have the feeling Billie doesn't really care for this, even though he's been positive about it so far. But yeah, he could have changed his mind in that time.

Yeah, it seems like one of those things where it's more him agreeing and allowing it to go ahead, than him being the driving force behind it himself. I suppose he's an open minded guy, so he wouldn't have a reason to want to stop something positive and creative like this going ahead.

I hate musicals though :lol:

I was always under the impression that he didn't actually have any input? That they approached him about it, and he made sure things were up to scratch, and then left the rest to them? I'm sure if he had any part in the actual production of it they'd be making a much bigger deal about it. He seems rather amused by it all to be honest, but i'm interested to see how it turns out

In one article I read about this it said "Lyrics by Billie Joe Armstrong, Music by Green Day, Book by Billie Joe Armstrong and Michael Mayer" So I was wondering if it was the treatment that Billie wrote for the AI movie (that never was ) that's now been used, at least in part, for this. Even if it wasn't their idea originally at least they had something written which could have been used when they got to discussing it.

I loving that fact that less than 3 minutes fater I had a friendly argument with a friend of mine over Green days sheer awesomeness GDA loads and in big bold letters reads "Green day musical debuts" (or something like that)

-_-

I'm thinking that this is a cheesy idea. everything gets made into musicals nowadays.

also relating tol the Topic Pete and Myf on triple M (in australia) just talked about this is Myfs Rock News.

So who else has already bought tickets (besides those of you I already know from twitter and facebook)?

I would love to, but that is the absolute worst time for me to get away from here. Don't think I'm gonna be joining you guys this time. :(

I would love to, but that is the absolute worst time for me to get away from here. Don't think I'm gonna be joining you guys this time. :(

Lucky for us, you don't have a choice! You have to go.

So who else has already bought tickets (besides those of you I already know from twitter and facebook)?

what website do I get tickets at?

Lucky for us, you don't have a choice! You have to go.

Tell that to my divorce lawyer. :( It could be an early birthday present... *scratches chin*

I don't know if this was posted yet, Billie talks a bit more about it

“We are really excited to be working with Michael Mayer on this project,” Green Day’s frontman Billie Joe Armstrong said in a statement to Access Hollywood. “We’d been thinking of bringing ‘American Idiot’ to the stage, but knew we needed to find the right partners. After meeting with Michael to discuss the possibility, he invited us to see ‘Spring Awakening.’ We were so impressed with that production, as well as his vision for ‘American Idiot,’ that we knew we’d found the perfect collaborator. Plus, doing it in our hometown at Berkeley Rep was an obvious bonus. They’re an amazing theatre group, very adventurous, and their willingness to take chances is in keeping with the spirit of the album. The end result will be terrific, and we’re really proud.”

http://brilliantatbreakfast.blogspot.com/2...covered-in.html

Does someone want to record this when they see it? :D

not trying this time... :unsure:

Oh thats silly. Its a holiday weekend. I havent mentioned it to CW yet. hahaha

Hes out of town, I can't.