American Idiot Musical (Theatrical Production)

J'net

But the biggest question of the night is: what happened with the t-shirt during The Death of St. Jimmy?

Admit it, everyone, you all were thinking of this :shifty::lol:

But the biggest question of the night is: what happened with the t-shirt during The Death of St. Jimmy?

Admit it, everyone was thinking of this :shifty::lol:

You're correct. I've been wondering ever since she was announced!

During the Death of St. Jimmy she was wearing a button down shirt over the shirt we all saw in the picture, and then she took it off and traced the heart's lines with her finger. It kind of looked cool because it looked as though she was possessing Johnny to draw the symbol on himself.

And here are my longer thoughts on Melissa as St. Jimmy:

http://tinyurl.com/46pr86s

my recap:

It went well except when she [Melissa] first came out and she wasn't singing on key/on tune with the music. Then it got better. I never seen Van as Johnny, but it was hilarious. My friend and I saw Tony before the show, his head was shaved. We talked to him and took pics. He was so happy to talk to us, it was adorable. He was like 'thank you for stopping me!'. Then after the show outside, he said goodbye to us and to have a great night or whatever. Him and Aspen, and a few other cast members, were in the mezzanine with us watching the show. After the show, we met Melissa, She was really nice and sweet.

here is the picture of my friend and I with Tony, in case anyone wanted to see

168297_587453327348_68701296_32882722_3266474_n.jpg

Edited by TAG
  • Like 2

I was at Melissa's first performance tonight with Tanya and... her timing was completely off for the first few lines of 'St. Jimmy' which was really discouraging. She recovered though and sounded great through every single one of her other songs. She looks great how they've styled her. She is... just not energetic enough for punk rock. She is a great performer but I just don't think this is a genre that she is meant for. "Know Your Enemy" was her best song of the night, hands down. Her interpretation is barely there though - you hardly notice her if she's not singing. It is interesting before 'When It's Time' because she gives him the heroin and it's a different exchange because it seems as though she's jealous (in a different way than a male Jimmy) of Whatshername's growing relationship with Johnny - so that makes the stakes a bit different and maybe higher because hell hath no fury as a woman scorn, right?

Van was great - better than when I saw him in June/July. His voice is great, and his guitar playing is really crisp, but half of his monologues I don't believe, while I find myself really buying the other half.

And the new male swing is just fine. He has really nice arms but they need to put a few tattoos on them. They're too clean for the show!

And here's Good Riddance:

Thanks for the recap!

For anyone considering going to New York to see this...stop considering and just do it. It is worth your money ten times over. :wub:

Mhmmmm, even if you think you only have a slim chance of getting there, do whatever you can to make it! You'll be kicking yourself if you pass up the opportunity!

Ok so I havent posted in here yet because I've been too busy and too tired :lol:

But oh my god, the musical is so much better than I imagined! Like Isabel said before (I think it was this thread anyway) you can't fully appreciate the cast recording until you've seen the musical, as we've learned. The singing and performing is absolutely outstanding, seriously. It gave me shivers :happy:

I have to say one thing though, I got pretty nervous when they were jumping around on the cage thingy up high :lol: I know they've done it like a million and one times but I was like "OH SHIT"

I really wish I'd had the money to see it more than twice though. But on the first night, we had balcony tickets but we ended up getting moved to the mezz, so that was a pretty amazing surprise for us!

Billie as St Jimmy was...well mindblowing. He IS St Jimmy, its just perfect. I mean, I did only see Billie playing the role, but I can't imagine seeing anyone else doing it. He's perfect for it :happy:

• Like 1

Well, here is my review. I have pretty much the same thoughts at Allison, who I saw the show with tonight. It worked, but it didn't work at the same time. Power pop-punk she is not, but man, she still has an amazing voice! I think I'm going to try and go back on Sunday to see how the week ends, but I also want to see Chase do St. Jimmy, so we'll see.

Melissa Etheridge Steps in As St. Jimmy.

So I guess people have mixed thoughts about Melissa? I don't think I have the cash to try going this week but I definitely want to see more youtube videos and see how her run turns out.

On another note, you know you're an AI dork when you see that today's February 2nd, and literally the first thing you think of is, "February 2nd. I jerked off into oblivion last night, and today I forgot to shower...again". :ninja:

• Like 2

Thanks for the recaps, great to have an in-depth review of her performance. I hope she ends up getting better, sounds like it puts an interesting spin on it having a woman playing the part....be a shame if that was spoiled by it turning out that they chose the wrong woman to do it.

Well, here is my review. I have pretty much the same thoughts at Allison, who I saw the show with tonight. It worked, but it didn't work at the same time. Power pop-punk she is not, but man, she still has an amazing voice! I think I'm going to try and go back on Sunday to see how the week ends, but I also want to see Chase do St. Jimmy, so we'll see.

Melissa Etheridge Steps in As St. Jimmy.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

I saw BJA as St. Jimmy both back in October and this past January. BJA's October St. Jimmy was quike shaky as well, compared to his performances this time around. I am sure Melissa Etheridge would find her footing as well, given more time.

The heart/upside down cross is my favorite image from the show and they should be selling those t-shirts for sure (ahem).

In Homecoming I would have had her spraypaint the image on herself (on a t-shirt) during homecoming. St. Jimmy and Johnny doing it simultaneously (while not seeing the image before) is to me the act of St. Jimmy's exorcism. Already seeing that image on her before they do the drawing is simply out of whack in the story for me.

So glad you and Allison got to see it!

During the Death of St. Jimmy she was wearing a button down shirt over the shirt we all saw in the picture, and then she took it off and traced the heart's lines with her finger. It kind of looked cool because it looked as though she was possessing Johnny to draw the symbol on himself.

And here are my longer thoughts on Melissa as St. Jimmy:

http://tinyurl.com/46pr86s

OK i misunderstood what they did. That sounds WAY COOL!

I was able to take a little tour of the American Idiot stage recently. I didn't have much time and I was a bit nervous and my camera is way too overwhelming, lol, so the photos aren't the best, sadly. You can see them here.

• Like 1

^ There's car hanging from the roof?? :o and i noticed the action figure on the music sheets :lol: thanks for the pictures

You're welcomed! Yep, there's a car hanging from the ceiling. I love that car!

Thanks for all the Melissa Etheridge reviews, it's good to know what people think of her performance. (:

I was able to take a little tour of the American Idiot stage recently. I didn't have much time and I was a bit nervous and my camera is way too overwhelming, lol, so the photos aren't the best, sadly. You can see them here.

Thanks for the pictures :D

On the one side I think the car from the roof is kind of cheesy, but on the other side it's cool too, haha.

You're welcomed! Yep, there's a car hanging from the ceiling. I love that car!

What kind of car is it? I've wondered...

Someone took a partial audio of Etheridge singing "Death of St. Jimmy"

Thanks for posting that. I'm intrigued at how they infused a folk-rock guitar sound into the arrangement for The Death of St. Jimmy...fits Melissa's vocal style well and I agree with your review, she pulled it off nicely.

I personnaly thought the car was gonna fall on stage at some moment.

But it didn't happen.

NGL, I heard a little audio of Etheridge's "St. Jimmy." I blame the shaky opening on nerves and a little of the audience clapping along. At times, it sounded like they were speeding up the beat.

Speaking of Stark: Anyone know, or want to venture a guess, as to why he doesn't get a guitar solo in the encore like the other 2 main leads (John and Michael)? Just curious.