American Idiot Musical (Theatrical Production)

J'net

Stark Sands at 3:45 talks about how he picked out and designed the Tunny tattoos and how they were actually really personal to him

That's lovely to hear. :happy: Edited by lizziebix
Please don't requte the videos. Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...
Spotlight On...Rebecca Naomi Jones

Published on Apr 2, 2014

Appearing in some of the best new rock musicals including "Murder Ballad," "Passing Strange," and Green Day's "American Idiot," dynamic pop-rock powerhouse Rebecca Naomi Jones is an unparalleled leader of the new Broadway generation. Hear all about her journey from church choirs to Broadway, and the constant role that music has played in her life and career.

Ben thompson @itsBenThompson 12h

4 Years ago today, American Idiot opened at the St. James. And tonight fellow idiot @joshuahenry20 opens Violet on Bway! #RageAndLoveJosh

Theo Stockman @TheStockmanO 9h

My god was this really 4 years ago? http://www.broadwayworld.com/article/STAGE-TUBE-On-This-Day-420--AMERICAN-IDIOT-20140420#.U1RxT1eTKCR

Jordan Roth @Jordan_Roth 5h

On this day in 2010, AMERICAN IDIOT opened at the St. James! @GreenDay @IdiotOnTour #GreenDay #AmericanIdiot

BlsE98BIAAA78cJ.jpg

One of my bus buddies said her mom and some friends so it in Joliet, Illinois recently and half the audience walked out. She wanted to walk out too but she wasn't the driver in her group. :( Guess Joliet is not AI country.

One of my bus buddies said her mom and some friends so it in Joliet, Illinois recently and half the audience walked out. She wanted to walk out too but she wasn't the driver in her group. :( Guess Joliet is not AI country.

I genuinely want to know two things: 1. What did they think they were about to see? and 2. At what point in the show do "walk-outs" happen? Is it a particular moment that is too offensive, or just a slow realization of "this isn't my cup of tea"... I wonder.

If anyone has witnessed people walking out, I'd be curious to hear when and why.

She said they walked out after watching the sex and drug scenes. I'm guessing these were subscribers and not single ticket buyers and probably had no idea what it was about. She her mom didn't know and was quite shocked. And yet this is the same woman that really enjoyed Book of Mormon. Go figure.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Tom Kitt mentions "American Idiot" in an interview

And then you orchestrated and arranged the adaptation of Green Day's American Idiot, which was all about creating a piece where rock and theater meet.

The original album was conceived theatrically. It leaps out at you. Every chorus is rousing. Each song tells an individual story, but the entire album has a larger one. It's dramatic and sweeping. And the emotional content is always there, no matter what form the songs take. Even when the chorus repeats in "Wake Me Up When September Ends," the character needs to keep saying that.

You went back to the music world to do some arrangements on Green Day's studio album 21st Century Breakdown. It seems that while Elizabeth in If/Then sees things as either/or, you lean toward and/also.

I think it's important to get outside yourself whatever way you can. And it's a real compliment when someone thinks I can bring a new element to their music. I just got to work with Billie Joe Armstrong again on These Paper Bullets at Yale Rep. And getting out of my comfort zone can be a wonderful way to come up with new ideas. The more open you can be to different styles or genres, the more you can be true to a character or a moment in the story. Next to Normal is known as a rock musical, but there are also waltzes, classical piano. A rule I try to live by is, "Don't force the music on the musical."

http://www.slantmagazine.com/house/2014/10/if-then-interview-with-tom-kitt

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Michael Esper Why He's Scared to Watch the American Idiot Documentary

Did you watch the American Idiot documentary, Broadway Idiot? Was your experience in the musical accurately portrayed?

I haven’t seen it. I’ve been scared to see it, honestly. Emotionally, I feel like I’d just be a mess. Knowing Doug [Hamilton, director], I just know he did a beautiful job. He’s so extraordinary and he was with us the entire time. I can’t imagine it’s anything less than wonderful.

http://www.broadway.com/buzz/178551/michael-esper-on-starring-with-sting-in-the-last-ship-why-hes-scared-to-watch-the-american-idiot-documentary/

• 2 months later...

Rebecca Naomi Jones, Alysha Umphress and More Turn Shakespeare's As You Like It Into a Rock Concert

will feature performances by Rebecca Naomi Jones (Fortress of Solitude, American Idiot), Alysha Umphress (On the Town, American Idiot), Kacie Sheik (Hair), Theo Stockman (Hair, American Idiot),

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/rebecca-naomi-jones-alysha-umphress-and-more-turn-shakespeares-as-you-like-it-into-a-rock-concert-340248

• 2 weeks later...

BWW Reviews: Alysha Umphress and Joshua Henry's ROMANTIC DUETS is Heartwarming

Then, Henry got the chance to show his surprising musical talent with a blisteringly bitter jazz arrangement of "Holiday" (Billie Joe Armstrong).

http://www.broadwayworld.com/article/BWW-Reviews-Alysha-Umphress-and-Joshua-Henrys-ROMANTIC-DUETS-is-Heartwarming-20150211

300x300xartistpage_joshuaandalysha.jpg.p

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Carmel Dean ‏@carmel_dean 

Found the old @GreenDay Xmas Carol mashup I did w/ the fab @thisainttherapy @TonyTheVincent @Cristalzheat & Stark S!

• Like 1