Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Lord of the Rings (Hobbit)

* * * * - 3 votes

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

Malleus

Malleus
  • Dominated Love Slave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,957 posts
  • Joined Jan 30, 2010
  • 1,506 rep

Huge fan of the movies, have yet to get around to the books. I was going to a couple years ago but I never ended up borrowing them off a friend. I'll probably borrow them off of one soon and then get my own copies afterwards, but I might even end up just getting my own to start with.

Harry Potter.

Harry Potter.
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,913 posts
  • Joined Feb 12, 2012
  • 982 rep

Finished The Hobbit yesterday, starting The Fellowship today!

beejeezee

beejeezee
  • Billie Joe's Bitch

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,643 posts
  • Joined Nov 29, 2010
  • 4,857 rep

Big fan of the books and movies.

The riddle scene in the hobbit is my favorite scene. :wub:

• Dark Lord Plagueis likes this

YoYoFantaFanta

YoYoFantaFanta
  • Little One

• PipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Joined Nov 11, 2012
  • 35 rep

I have just finished the Return of the King and therefore all of the Lord of the Rings. They were awesome also though a bit too much description. Best scenes were on Mount Doom and the revolt against Sharkey in the Shire.I skipped the Appendices and prologue as of now. I will start the Hobbit tomorrow although I have already seen the first Hobbit movie. The only LOTR movie I've seen was the Fellowship of the Ring. I find it coincidental that I read the Lord of the Rings trilogy for the first time soon after Uno, Dos, and Tre first came out.

Harry Potter.

Harry Potter.
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,913 posts
  • Joined Feb 12, 2012
  • 982 rep

The Fellowship of the Ring is taking me sooo long to read! :lol: But I love it, I really do!

HolyHandGrenade

HolyHandGrenade
  • And now for something completely different...

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,783 posts
  • Joined Feb 15, 2013
  • 2,795 rep

I have just finished the Return of the King and therefore all of the Lord of the Rings. They were awesome also though a bit too much description. Best scenes were on Mount Doom and the revolt against Sharkey in the Shire.I skipped the Appendices and prologue as of now. I will start the Hobbit tomorrow although I have already seen the first Hobbit movie. The only LOTR movie I've seen was the Fellowship of the Ring. I find it coincidental that I read the Lord of the Rings trilogy for the first time soon after Uno, Dos, and Tre first came out.

After reading LOTR you will be shocked by how short The Hobbit is, and by how much the movies are milking it for all it's worth.

YoYoFantaFanta

YoYoFantaFanta
  • Little One

• PipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Joined Nov 11, 2012
  • 35 rep

After reading LOTR you will be shocked by how short The Hobbit is, and by how much the movies are milking it for all it's worth.

I actually did finish the Hobbit and I wasn't shocked by it's shortness, it took me 6 days to read but I read heavily. I was more shocked that the style of narration is exactly the same as C.S. Lewis. I also   thought that Thorin was a dick. I'm reading the Silmarillion now.

HolyHandGrenade

HolyHandGrenade
  • And now for something completely different...

• 4,783 posts
  • Joined Feb 15, 2013
  • 2,795 rep

I actually did finish the Hobbit and I wasn't shocked by it's shortness, it took me 6 days to read but I read heavily. I was more shocked that the style of narration is exactly the same as C.S. Lewis. I also   thought that Thorin was a dick. I'm reading the Silmarillion now.

Lewis and Tolkien were both members of the Inklings, and good friends, so it might be unavoidable that they would mimic each other.

Comrade

Comrade
  • Razzamataz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,609 posts
  • Joined Aug 31, 2008
  • 5,309 rep

Just re-watched The Hobbit. Really, really love the film. It gets better with every watch. Peter Jackson is a masterful Director. Probably my idol, up there with James Cameron in my books. Absolute visionary. 

Riddles in the dark is probably my favourite scene, it is captured perfectly. That moment where Thorin embraces Bilbo though. Man, so much man emotion and respect, I literally had a tear in my eye when I saw that the first time. 

• JOE THE X-KID likes this

Nemo.

Nemo.
  • All but conform, still wandering on

• 6,068 posts
  • Joined Jul 08, 2011
  • 1,829 rep

The Fellowship of the Ring is taking me sooo long to read! :lol: But I love it, I really do!

I enjoy every single word of the book and I already know it by heart.

Has anyone read "the silmarillion" ? If you like to know the history of the elves, you have to read it. And the history of Aragorns ancestors is explained too. A very good book!

Harry Potter.

Harry Potter.
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,913 posts
  • Joined Feb 12, 2012
  • 982 rep

Has anyone read "the silmarillion" ? If you like to know the history of the elves, you have to read it. And the history of Aragorns ancestors is explained too. A very good book!

I will read it after I finish the LotR trilogy. ;)

Just re-watched The Hobbit. Really, really love the film. It gets better with every watch. Peter Jackson is a masterful Director. Probably my idol, up there with James Cameron in my books. Absolute visionary. 

Riddles in the dark is probably my favourite scene, it is captured perfectly. That moment where Thorin embraces Bilbo though. Man, so much man emotion and respect, I literally had a tear in my eye when I saw that the first time. 

I was really happy to see there's others loving the movie too. When I saw it first I loved it, then I went to Metacritic and saw the average a 58? Really? Sure, it's lengthy, but come on, it's just such a nice pleasure to see it, any time!

As for Riddles in the Dark, it is also my favorite part of the book, and when I saw it in the movie I was so happy to see it done so well. And is it just me, or was Gollum really cute there... :lol:

With the Lord of the Rings trilogy, Jackson made a brilliant job of bringing the books to life, but with the Hobbit, he just confirmed his talent of being a master at what he is doing and I hope he will keep up the good job. I haven't ever read it, but if they ever make a Silmarillion movie which a lot of people doubt, I hope he will be the director again.

Comrade

Comrade
  • Razzamataz

• 6,609 posts
  • Joined Aug 31, 2008
  • 5,309 rep

Personally I love that he's using the appendix from LotR to flesh out The Hobbit and tie the films together. I think the feeling towards An Unexpected Journey will warm in the context of the other two films. 

I hope they don't make a Silmarillion movie. LotR worked because it already had a massive fan base - it's the second best selling book of all time after A Tale of Two Cities. Same goes for The Hobbit. 

I don't think any studio could justify a budget big enough to bring the Silmarillion to life. 

YoYoFantaFanta

YoYoFantaFanta
  • Little One

• PipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Joined Nov 11, 2012
  • 35 rep

Does anyone know where I can watch the lord of the Rings movies online for free? I saw the Fellowship two months ago and that's it.

RevDrFunk

RevDrFunk
  • Grandmaster Tactician

• 4,008 posts
  • Joined Jun 23, 2010
  • 1,515 rep

Finally saw The Hobbit yesterday and I really liked it.  I thought it had more of a fantasy element to it than LotR did, like it was a bit younger and more lighthearted and that was nice.  Some of it did look a bit odd, but for the most part I enjoyed the clarity of the environments and they were gorgeous to look at.  The escape from the Misty Mountains scene was fantastic, they really took some creative options rather than just having them straight up bash their way out of there.   I'm not entirely sure where people would like this any less than Lord of the Rings, other than the visual qualms.

• bat-chen likes this

JOE THE X-KID

JOE THE X-KID
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,468 posts
  • Joined Feb 27, 2013
  • 1,259 rep

The Lord Of the Rings is my favourite film series. absolutely love it , just finished reading the Hobbit too great book, tempted to read the fellowship now...

Advertising

YoYoFantaFanta

YoYoFantaFanta
  • Little One

• PipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Joined Nov 11, 2012
  • 35 rep

Finally saw The Hobbit yesterday and I really liked it.  I thought it had more of a fantasy element to it than LotR did, like it was a bit younger and more lighthearted and that was nice.  Some of it did look a bit odd, but for the most part I enjoyed the clarity of the environments and they were gorgeous to look at.  The escape from the Misty Mountains scene was fantastic, they really took some creative options rather than just having them straight up bash their way out of there.   I'm not entirely sure where people would like this any less than Lord of the Rings, other than the visual qualms.

I personally thought The Hobbit was really good, but I thought LOTR was better. Many fans like LOTR better because The Hobbit is more oriented towards a younger audience and a lot of places in Middle-Earth weren't fully developed yet.

• Harry Potter. likes this

Sara Armstrong

Sara Armstrong
  • idk man

• 3,552 posts
  • Joined Mar 29, 2006
  • 10 rep

i looooved the hobbit. i was going to buy the DVD but i'll just wait until the fall because they're supposed to release an extended version.

YoYoFantaFanta

YoYoFantaFanta
  • Little One

• PipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Joined Nov 11, 2012
  • 35 rep

I finally got to see the movies and they were great.

NaughtyHellGod

NaughtyHellGod
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Joined Feb 10, 2013
  • 100 rep

I am waiting until a family member buys the hobbit so I can it borrow because I am not sure about the movie.

cherrybomb

cherrybomb
  • Little One

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Joined Sep 25, 2012
  • 24 rep

I've read the books for the first time when I was 9 or 10 and it's been a long time since I've reached for them, but I'm glad I did, because I forgot how awesome they really are.

As for the movie (Hobbit) - it wasn't bad or disappointing as some people say, however it wasn't as bearthtaking as LOTR. Also, much too long (even if it was only first part). 

But my respect to J.R.R. Tolkien got even bigger - due to impossibly detailed descriptions he wrote I was convinced I had seen some of the movie's scenes before.

Céadóg

Céadóg
  • Fucking say it

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,707 posts
  • Joined Sep 11, 2012
  • 18,146 rep

Watching Fellowship while playing Third Age, today is a LOTR day :P

wendimoore

wendimoore
  • Brat

• PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • Joined Jul 25, 2013
  • 62 rep

Ive seen the movies so far, but i wish i had time to read all of the books *.*
The author is a genius!

Darth Praxus

Darth Praxus
  • Blasphemy Chickenstrips

• 2,053 posts
  • Joined Sep 27, 2012
  • 2,842 rep

A personal cause of mine: everyone, download the soundtrack to the Lord of the Rings musical right the fuck now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users