Dai.

Harry Potter Series

ArcticBlark

Harry Potter is an ended saga, JK said it.

Laetitia

I wish one of Green Day's songs had been included in the Deathly Hallows Part 1 soundtrack. I mean, yeah, I liked 'O Children', but I would have been ecstatic to see a GD track in an HP score. Instead, 'The Forgotten' was in stinking 'Twilight' (no offense to any Twilight fans out there). I feel like that kind of discredits it and makes Green Day look like they sold out to some people.

DarcyJ76

Does anyone know why Harry couldn't see the thestrals from the beginning, since he "saw death" when his mom died? I mean, he was a baby, but he was there and he saw it. It wasn't until he saw Cedric die that he got to see the thestrals.

lizziebix

Does anyone know why Harry couldn't see the thestrals from the beginning, since he "saw death" when his mom died? I mean, he was a baby, but he was there and he saw it. It wasn't until he saw Cedric die that he got to see the thestrals.

I just read an article that said because he was a baby he didn't understand death at that time so he couldn't see the thestrals until after Cedric's death.

Can't wait for you to have 100 posts so you can also read and post in the HP Club. :)

• Like 1

DarcyJ76

I'm trying to get to 100 posts without being obnoxious! I don't want to be that person that replies "haha" to everything just to increase my post count! I need to come up with more clever things.

Oh and if you are on Twitter, I actually tweeted that question to JK Rowling, if you want to go and retweet it and tag her! It'd be neat to have her answer (even though you just answered it!). I am DarcyJ76 on Twitter.

Maybe he was a really, REALLY sound sleeper.

captain peroxide

This is a quote from the 2004 Edinburgh book festival:

In the fifth book, Harry can see the Thestrals. Can you?

Yes, I can, definitely. That is a really good question, because it enables me to clear up a point. The letters that I’ve had about the Thestrals! Everyone has said to me that Harry saw people die before could see the Thestrals. Just to clear this up once and for all, this was not a mistake. I would be the first to say that I have made mistakes in the books, but this was not a mistake. I really thought this one through. Harry did not see his parents die. He was one year old and in a cot at the time. Although you never see that scene, I wrote it and then cut it. He didn’t see it; he was too young to appreciate it. When you find out about the Thestrals, you find that you can see them only when you really understand death in a broader sense, when you really know what it means. Someone said that Harry saw Quirrell die, but that is not true. He was unconscious when Quirrell died, in Philosopher’s Stone. He did not know until he came around that Quirrell had died when Voldemort left his body. Then you have Cedric. With Cedric, fair point. Harry had just seen Cedric die when he got back into the carriages to go back to Hogsmeade station. I thought about that at the end of Goblet, because I have known from the word go what was drawing the carriages. From Chamber of Secrets, in which there are carriages drawn by invisible things, I have known what was there. I decided that it would be an odd thing to do right at the end of a book. Anyone who has suffered a bereavement knows that there is the immediate shock but that it takes a little while to appreciate fully that you will never see that person again. Until that had happened, I did not think that Harry could see the Thestrals. That means that when he goes back, he saw these spooky things. It set the tone for Phoenix, which is a much darker book.

So basically, Harry didn't actually see his parents die, although the movies make it look as if he did, and he was still in shock about Cedric's death at the end of Goblet, which seems like a bit of a cop-out, but with a universe this big and complex, I'll let her get away with it.

• Like 1

The Disappearing Boy

It's much better having them introduced at the start of five, so that's fine by me. I'd always thought that 'seeing death' didn't mean in a literal sense, rather in the sense of 'understanding death', so it's cool that I was right about that.

loveblondiebilliejoe

How the actual fuck did I just discover this thread. Harry Potter is my second favorite thing besides GD.

Anyways, I wish there were more Harry/Ginny scenes in the movies. It makes it seem like they weren't as in love as Ron/Hermione but in the books they really are.

Paola17

Cursed Child Midnight release parties anyone?

PurpleIron1039

I've been feeling really guilty recently because I haven't reread HP in 3 years due to my school workload, and it's supposed to be my favorite literary series.

findsolaceinrock

Speaking of Harry Potter, has anyone here heard of the Ronbledore theory? It's this messed up idea that Ron is a time-traveller who got marooned in the 18th century, & grew up to become Dumbledore! It's one of the craziest things I've ever heard...

fukingcounterstrike

SNAPE KILLS DUMBLEDORE 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Trotsky

So, how is everyone coping with JK Rowling's revelation that wizards used to shit their pants and use magic to get rid of it? 

Second favourite son
2 hours ago, Trotsky said:

So, how is everyone coping with JK Rowling's revelation that wizards used to shit their pants and use magic to get rid of it? 

Does that not negate major plot points of the second book?

Trotsky
3 hours ago, Second favourite son said:

Does that not negate major plot points of the second book?

You mean Myrtle dying in the bathroom? No, as I understand it this was back before Hogwarts had toilets, but eventually Hogwarts got toilets and then everyone stopped shitting their pants. Or do you mean the whole problem of underage magic being illegal thus raising the question of what did Hogwarts students do during their summer break? Did their parents have to vanish the shit? 

• Like 1

Tubbie Head
4 hours ago, Trotsky said:

You mean Myrtle dying in the bathroom? No, as I understand it this was back before Hogwarts had toilets, but eventually Hogwarts got toilets and then everyone stopped shitting their pants. Or do you mean the whole problem of underage magic being illegal thus raising the question of what did Hogwarts students do during their summer break? Did their parents have to vanish the shit? 

Omg I didn't think of that xD I assume it was just at Hogwarts though, at home they probably had their own methods... Like it used to be for us before, some sort of hole where they pee and poop to... Then their parents can clean it up by magic. 

This piece of info has been on Pottermore for some time now, someone just brought it up and it's everywhere now hahah

Beerjeezus

Why wouldn't they just build latrines?

Second favourite son
15 hours ago, Trotsky said:

I mean the whole ‘monster in the girls bathroom’ saga.  Why didn’t the girls just go back to the old fashioned method?