Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
The results of the Bobo Awards are now available here! Didn't get to vote? Go support our boys by voting for them here. I know we can beat Paramore this time.

Photo

The Big Bang Theory

* * * * * 12 votes

• Please log in to reply
1900 replies to this topic

SaintJimmy13

SaintJimmy13
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,284 posts
  • Joined Jun 05, 2014
  • 644 rep

I think we have different views on sex dude.

That's probably true, I'm kind of conservative in that area.

the sexualisation and infantilisation of women has been going on for centuries.

Exactly - isn't it about time we stop it?

johndorkian

johndorkian
  • fighter of the nightman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,938 posts
  • Joined Dec 31, 2006
  • 3,996 rep

That's probably true, I'm kind of conservative in that area.

Exactly - isn't it about time we stop it?

it's absolutely time, but it's an uphill battle man. "you can't change the hearts and minds of men with laws and decisions," as eisenhower said. popular media is a start but tbbt will never relent with this kind of behaviour.
  • SaintJimmy13 likes this

Comrade

Comrade
  • Razzamataz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,933 posts
  • Joined Aug 31, 2008
  • 5,711 rep

Luckily we have tbbt to tackle the equally important issue of demolishing the over-bearing pressure upon men to live up to a physically and socially perfect masculinity that shuns intelligence in favour of blindly placing our worth as a gender on our ability to hit things, drink and shag. Instead tbbt challenges that by offering examples of 4 men who are all highly successful and in positions of authority despite (or because of, rather) being nerdy, beta, physically inept and normal, basically. They are all shown to be awkward and nervous around women - especially beautiful ones, and that is portrayed to be perfectly ok, and all four are often at the mercy of the women's say so and authority, quite potently getting the message across to all men (as if the majority of us didn't already know) that women have the power to be far more than equal to men (as Bernadette and Amy are and it is hinted Penny could be, if they didn't use her as the icon of 'make the right decisions girls, because this is what happens hen you don't' - another way of reinforcing female strength) and often dominate us through one way or another. 

The Big Bang Theory is thematically a rallying cry for say it is ok to be normal, nerdy, weak, and has a potent feminist bent to it. The jokes find their humour in just about everything. One week it might be that dubious jibe about grown men and schoolgirls, another it is at the expense of the schoolyard bully/jock type, another at authority, another at biology, another at women, another (often) about the folly of male behaviour towards women. 

This whole idea that tbbt is sexist is utterly, completely and reprehensibly bullshit, and I'm sorry Lily, but it only takes a brief search of the web to make it clear that the morons who spread the idea that it is sexist or racist or whatever are the exact people who inhibit the anti-sexism, anti-racist campaigning through their obsessive, alienating hyperbole and melodrama - looking for it where it isn't, and jumping upon it disproportionately when it is balanced out by opposing views within the same instance (in this case tbbt) but choosing to ignore the broader picture in favour of isolating each instant and using it as a dirty propaganda campaign that brainwashes those already sympathetic to the cause through a bombardment of message reinforcement on websites that attract large, densely populated fandoms. 

There is another reason that this show written about underdogs, written by Jews takes aim at just about everything and everyone at some point: that is what victims do, and it humanises that notion, and sets it in a context where lessons can be learned from that reaction (see: Leonard and co. apologising to one of Penny's boyfriends and including him in the group; Raj's protectiveness over his sister, Howard's continued love for yet dependency upon his mother; Sheldon's friendship with Penny - and Penny's friendship with Sheldon; Bernadette putting Howard in his place; Amy drawing Sheldon from his comfort zone; Penny falling in love with Leonard and finding definition beyond the sexualisation she has had to rely on as a result of having fallen into the trap of the American Dream - which she is a critique of).

• Cruise likes this

SaintJimmy13

SaintJimmy13
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,284 posts
  • Joined Jun 05, 2014
  • 644 rep

The first few seasons fit into exactly what you say, and that's why I used to like it, but more recently it's become a lot cheaper - the whole PS4 vs XBox One episode was making fun of Sheldon's "nerdiness", the whole Raj/Stewart thing was one massive gay joke, there's the fact that they're all pretty much normal now (except Sheldon, who's made fun of with cheap gags), and there's the schoolgirl thing I already spoke about.

Steven Seagull

Steven Seagull
  • Dominated Love Slave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,320 posts
  • Joined Dec 02, 2012
  • 1,561 rep

You think way too much. The show is great.

Akshat

Akshat
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts
  • Joined Oct 27, 2012
  • 713 rep

There are disputes going on between the main cast and the show's producer. The cast wants $1M per episode.

Not Anyone.

Not Anyone.
  • He's not an eggplant.

• 15,651 posts
  • Joined Aug 19, 2013
  • 16,503 rep

Production is now delayed because of the ongoing contract disputes. It actually makes me really angry. Are these guys not rich enough yet? Demanding $1 million per episode or refusing to do it, give me a fucking break.

Heather.

Heather.
  • Peacemaker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,443 posts
  • Joined Jul 03, 2011
  • 6,733 rep

Well, the big 3 got their $1 million.... for 3 seasons!  (The cast of Friends, all 6 of them, also negotiated for that in their 10th season).  Simon & Kunal are still negotiating though, but if they sign a deal soon then the show should be able to make up for lost time.

I'll just leave this hear to ease the tension

article-0-18D6DC68000005DC-588_306x558.j

WhiteTim

WhiteTim
  • Dearly Beloved

• 6,383 posts
  • Joined May 16, 2010
  • 3,501 rep

Production is now delayed because of the ongoing contract disputes. It actually makes me really angry. Are these guys not rich enough yet? Demanding $1 million per episode or refusing to do it, give me a fucking break.

Well look at it at the view of the actors the studio makes so much money off of them plus it ties them up from doing other projects for so many months also the type casting it has/will cause them plus the more money a show makes the cast (and crew) should get more

Cruise

Cruise
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Joined Feb 27, 2010
  • 470 rep

Well look at it at the view of the actors the studio makes so much money off of them plus it ties them up from doing other projects for so many months also the type casting it has/will cause them plus the more money a show makes the cast (and crew) should get more

At nearly any point in the day you can find TBBT on at least one station, sometimes two stations at once (considering there are less then 10 stations). Plus this happens all around the world, so the studio makes a bucket load of money. So it should be passed onto the actors as well. As its not really fair that the studio gets it all when the actors and crew do most of the work. 

• WhiteTim likes this

WhiteTim

WhiteTim
  • Dearly Beloved

• 6,383 posts
  • Joined May 16, 2010
  • 3,501 rep

At nearly any point in the day you can find TBBT on at least one station, sometimes two stations at once (considering there are less then 10 stations). Plus this happens all around the world, so the studio makes a bucket load of money. So it should be passed onto the actors as well. As its not really fair that the studio gets it all when the actors and crew do most of the work. 

Yep I had someone mention about the reruns saying the actors gets a check per episode

Yes they do BUT the bad part is the more an episode is ran the less money they receive (Friends for example has been reran so many times the actors as one of em said last year only gets about 15 cents a episode John Goodman for Roseanne stated one of the last check he got for Roseanne was 40 dollars)

Are the stars of BBT being greedy? I don't think so they are asking for similar salaries that other shows that were the same level got... I don't know the details why the salary nego has went over that should've been taken care of during the break as that also hurts the numerous crews that only get paid when they are filming...
  • Cruise likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users