Did Green Day sell out?

Fuzz

Ok, lets try something new, shall we?

You give me a list of how you think they've sold out and I'll disprove everything on that list.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You give me a list of how you think they've sold out and I'll disprove everything on that list.

• Charging $20/year for fans to talk to eachother and watch videos of them

It would have been in terms of keeping their current fan base happy.

well i was talking about the mainstream in general. fans would basically be satisfied with whatever they come out with. i mean, hell, most of liked the network and that was about obscure as they could possibly get.

I was going to say that's a very bad idea.

i've never even voiced in this thread whether or not i think they've sold out.

Pssst...Idiot Club.

Oh I knew that...ha ha ha. I'm not in that. I found no point.

Wait, that sucks...does all that money really go to them?

Guest Quietus

well i was talking about the mainstream in general. fans would basically be satisfied with whatever they come out with. i mean, hell, most of liked the network and that was about obscure as they could possibly get.

That's not really true, you can see by evidence on this board that many oldies are pissed off with them about AI.

Well, uh...You get uh...merchandise too...and uh...they didn't really promote it that much. It was just on their website. I don't know...maybe it;s just tradition for a fan club :huh:

That's not really true, you can see by evidence on this board that many oldies are pissed off with them about AI.

i'm sure most of that is influenced by the type of fans the album attracted and what green day really became after it. i used to wear a green day shirt to school and kids would either not know who the hell they were, or just be like "green day are fags". after AI whenever i'd wear a green day shirt, those same kids who were calling green day gay were telling me how much they loved BOBD. sure, i like the album, but it still pisses me off.

Well, uh...You get uh...merchandise too...and uh...they didn't really promote it that much. It was just on their website. I don't know...maybe it;s just tradition for a fan club :huh:

0/1

you dont' strike me as the green day wearing shirt kind of guy...

i was pre-AI, when nobody knew who green day was. i haven't really touched those shirts in probably a year though.

i know i'm tough on the guys from time to time, but the fact that i'm here posting about says a great deal about the fact that i still like them quite a bit.

It does suck, because when you're an old school fan of theirs and loved their music then they became popular and everyone else starts wearing Green Day stuff you feel obligated not to do the same so people don't judge you for being a 'Main stream' music person. Like all thepunks who didn't like Green Day just because they signed to reprise. They all got mad because that was considered selling out. They had to think of signing to a record label as something bad just because everyone else did, which is being trendy in a non-trendy way. :/

I think they're still "punk" in any term of the word. I mean its not like they're views about shit has changed. They've just become more political and outspoken. Its not the premise of money as Andres stated... its just about what you think and believe in. According to Billie Joe, he still considers himself a punk. Even though some might not agree its not something you can just walk away from. Its just who you are.

^ I'm waiting for you to show me the logic of it.

Nobody is forcing the idiot club members to join. It's just for the fun of it. If I had the money, I would join too. Sure, it's a smart buisness decision, but we don't really know where the money goes...

I think they're still "punk" in any term of the word. I mean its not like they're views about shit has changed. They've just become more political and outspoken. Its not the premise of money as Andres stated... its just about what you think and believe in. According to Billie Joe, he still considers himself a punk. Even though some might not agree its not something you can just walk away from. Its just who you are.

They've never really dresses punk, and thats what most people look at. Iknow alot of prep people who say they aren't punk. Quote, My friend thomas,"They're so not punk. They wear eye liner. They are just Gay"

I tried to tell him that Punk is what wear. It's how you act.

I couldn't care less if they have sold out, really. They would still have a lot more fucking talent than all the posers trying to be indie and creative.

i was pre-AI, when nobody knew who green day was. i haven't really touched those shirts in probably a year though.

i know i'm tough on the guys from time to time, but the fact that i'm here posting about says a great deal about the fact that i still like them quite a bit.

Yay, mclarens softer side, I longed for this day.

But serious for a sec, did you stop wearing the shirts because they were popular once again?

Nobody is forcing the idiot club members to join. It's just for the fun of it. If I had the money, I would join too. Sure, it's a smart buisness decision, but we don't really know where the money goes...

key word.

Yay, mclarens softer side, I longed for this day.

But serious for a sec, did you stop wearing the shirts because they were popular once again?

first, it wasn't this big concious decision of protest. the thing is, i'd just rather not have to be associated with every other trendy moron at my school who has decided to jump on the bandwagon.

Guest Quietus

i'm sure most of that is influenced by the type of fans the album attracted and what green day really became after it. i used to wear a green day shirt to school and kids would either not know who the hell they were, or just be like "green day are fags". after AI whenever i'd wear a green day shirt, those same kids who were calling green day gay were telling me how much they loved BOBD. sure, i like the album, but it still pisses me off.

Valid point, but there are a lot of people who also just say the songs themselves are crap too.

And let me go sit down, I think I read that wrong.

You know mclaren, I always thought you were older, but since you said school...I realized how close to my age you probably are. Creepy.

I couldn't care less if they have sold out, really. They would still have a lot more fucking talent than all the posers trying to be indie and creative.

I know what you mean. I absolutly hate bands that try so hard to stay hardcore and underground, it drives me crazy. If I join a band in the future, I would hope at one point, we would be good enough to attract a large fan base, just because, why make music if it doesn't reach people? That is really why I listen to music in the first place, for it to tell me something.

In the end, I don't believe green day are sellouts (going back to mbk's post) they still kept their opinions intact all these years (though they might have changed). They don't just, stick themselves in the studio, and pull shit out of their asses like most other popular "artists" nowadays.

first, it wasn't this big concious decision of protest. the thing is, i'd just rather not have to be associated with every other trendy moron at my school who has decided to jump on the bandwagon.

Archived