Did Green Day sell out?

Fuzz

I know what you mean. I absolutly hate bands that try so hard to stay hardcore and underground, it drives me crazy. If I join a band in the future, I would hope at one point, we would be good enough to attract a large fan base, just because, why make music if it doesn't reach people? That is really why I listen to music in the first place, for it to tell me something.

In the end, I don't believe green day are sellouts (going back to mbk's post) they still kept their opinions intact all these years (though they might have changed). They don't just, stick themselves in the studio, and pull shit out of their asses like most other popular "artists" nowadays.

first, it wasn't this big concious decision of protest. the thing is, i'd just rather not have to be associated with every other trendy moron at my school who has decided to jump on the bandwagon.

Fair enough. I know what you mean, people at my school get surprised when I tell them how many albums they have.

And, buisness decision, thats what this biz is for, you can make money, but still be a good artist. After the success of american idiot, I would be surprised if green day didn't didn't have more merch, or a fan club, it's just the way it works. And remember, Warner, i'm sure they control the money aspect of the band, it's what majors do best.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^^ (just because I don't want to continue that horrid post thing)

And they made fun of themselves for it, at the salad bar if I remember correctly.

^ I'm waiting for you to show me the logic of it.

Ok, I did. This was copied Directly from the Idiot Fan Club Website. It's in the privacy policy.

We at Green Day, Inc. think your privacy is important and have created this privacy policy to describe how we collect, use, and disclose information we obtain through www.greenday.com (the "Site").

So there. Green Day isn't controlling it. HA!

Yeah, but who is Green Day Inc. comprised of?

Quote:

Green Day, Inc.

c/o Zachary E. Zeisler

Zeisler, Zeisler & Rawson, LLP

1100 Third Street

San Rafael, CA 94901-3019

Phone: (415) 451-1703 x106

Fax: (415) 451-1907

E-mail: zach@zzallp.com

I think they sold out after the success of AI.

I dont consider them making AI is what made them sell-outs. Its what they did in the success of the album.

^ Explanation Holden?

What exactly did they do? Other than attending a bunch of award shows, I dont really see a big difference. They have had DVD's before...(That's the only subject I could think of...)

"They do write to sell music and please people, if they didnt, they wouldnt sell any records. That's the way music works, trust me."

what a dumbass.

he's basically saying truely good music with bands that didnt sell out pleases people, therefore it doesnt sell..wtf. if the music is pleasing PEOPLE BUY THE RECORDS.

Well, like in a old interview, they said they would never want to be apart of the trend, yet what have they done.. they are completely in with the trend, they followed the trend with their new look.

I remember once they said set-lists were stupid and they wouldnt do them, yet every show on the AI tour, is exactly the same, exactly.

They make tons, and tons, and tons of merch, only because they know it will sell, yeah that might be the label, but if Green Day actually wanted it stopped, they would take a stand against it, yet they dont.

Well, like in a old interview, they said they would never want to be apart of the trend.

They startd the fucking Trend. They were wearing work shirts and ties durring the dookie period!

Also, the eye liner. I think Billie does it because he's got bags under his eyes. Look at a picture of him with out it. Tre just does it because he i being tre.

green day very much did sell out. making an album that everyone buys is NOT selling out, Growing up is NOT selling out, Being the biggest band in the world is NOT selling out.

however, green day have tried to make punk something corporate. They look just like every other emo and pop punk band thats trying to make punk something corporate. they wear eyeliner, wear those stupid uniforms. what really did it for me was he let Kids Bop put a song that he claims he poured his heart and soul into (wake me up) to be raped by a bunch of kids who dont know what it means. they now charge us 50 dollars to see em.

they did, but so did a lot of other bands, its really none of our business, its their life.

They startd the fucking Trend. They were wearing work shirts and ties durring the dookie period!

Also, the eye liner. I think Billie does it because he's got bags under his eyes. Look at a picture of him with out it. Tre just does it because he i being tre.

please, that argument is so tired. Whether they started it or not, they are still apart of it.

i think all us old fans feel the exact same way the pre-dookie fans did. unless we were fans before dookie, we dont have much room to complain. dont pull that shit, they are following the eyeliner trend.

i just think they sold out because they completly left behind any punk aspect there was before this, because theyd rather have fame.

please, that argument is so tired. Whether they started it or not, they are still apart of it.

That doesn't matter. If you find a new way to dress that you like and other people copy you it;s not your fault it became a trend. :dry:

Well, like in a old interview, they said they would never want to be apart of the trend, yet what have they done.. they are completely in with the trend, they followed the trend with their new look.

I remember once they said set-lists were stupid and they wouldnt do them, yet every show on the AI tour, is exactly the same, exactly.

They make tons, and tons, and tons of merch, only because they know it will sell, yeah that might be the label, but if Green Day actually wanted it stopped, they would take a stand against it, yet they dont.

Through my eyes, they started the whole pop-punk trend thing. They did it with songs like when I come around, they did it again with BOBD. Whether Billie liked/likes it or not.

They wear eyeliner, and dress in uniform, yeah, that is "different" than before. But, when people think of that, they automatically assume it is to please a certain audiance. Well, it does attract a certain group, but that goes back to the oh so logical "like a band for music, not appearance" debate.

Sure, even I, a 13 year old girl (authomatically you think teenie, right) get pissed when I hear that, "Green Day rock cause they're sexy" thing. But the can't really control that, it's all hormones.

The appearence thing can be said with many bands, P!ATD, fall out boy, mcr, kiss, the list goes on.

And set list, well, my opinion is that, they do it to please every different type of fan. Now that their shows are massive, they try to make sure tha nobody gets cheated. We saw what happend when they played more oldies than usual at a concert, people got jealous.

That doesn't matter. If you find a new way to dress that you like and other people copy you it;s not your fault it became a trend. :dry:

they trying to attract a certain fanbase, which they didnt have much of before, by doing something thats not them. thats selling out in my book.

they trying to attract a certain fanbase, which they didnt have much of before, by doing something thats not them. thats selling out in my book.

Apparently we aren't reading the same book. Because I don't see exactly how you could've hacked into Green Day's mind and seen why they decided to dress different.

Pre-dookie wear he used to wear a workshirt and tie from time to time, and wearing the exact same outfit every single day, and the same outfit, but with a leather jacket in interviews...(aka AI) are not the same thing. He didnt continue to dress the same way. and the make-up? bags under his eyes and tres just being tre? .. please.. thats dumb. Make-up is in, they wanted to come back and fit in with whats going on now, and they did that very well.

Apparently we aren't reading the same book. Because I don't see exactly how you could've hacked into Green Day's mind and seen why they decided to dress different.

it doesnt matter why, they are still apart of the trend, which they said they would never want to be apart of.

'Sell-out' is like a fucking mantra attached to Green Day, from the time when they had the people they grew up with as a band turn their backs on them because they decided to go a different way and bring their music to a bigger audience. If it ever had meaning then, it has absolutely none now - what the hell are they supposed to have 'sold out' from this time? And after AI, if the next album is not political, will they be considered to have sold out from AI?

How come everyone feels entitled to take the moral high ground with GD ? They did have a manifesto in 'Reject' that went 'Who the hell are you to tell me/ who I am, and what's my masterplan?', but people consistently do that, telling them not only what they should be doing morally, but also what kind of music they should be making! Not to mention how they should dress, how often they should be on tv, who should do the talking, etc., etc.

They came back after being written off, with an album of huge artistic ambition and scope, an emotional rollercoaster ride of fire and beauty and anger, which won over a whole new audience, and instead of being glad for them, a lot of their old fans are just pissed that they have to share them.

I can't understand why people would dislike a band they previously loved, not because of the band themselves, but because of the people they attract. I mean, if they were attracting neo-Nazis it might be a factor! - but just because some little girls think they're cute, people can't handle the uncoolness of it!

How shallow. How un-punk. What a fucking sell-out!

the idiot club is stupid. if theyre really care about us, theyre not gonna charge us fucking 20 dollars to talk about em. were theyre customers, nothing more.

and a few years ago billie wrote "fasion victim", about a fashion designer who died, and said that he didnt feel sorry for him.

now, billie comes out with a clothing line, and wear 4000 dollar suits and leather jackets.

i mean, a clothing line, does it get any more hypocritical then that?

Well, like in a old interview, they said they would never want to be apart of the trend.

This sentence is implying that there was a pre-existing trend that Green Day started participating in. And it is not like they asked for people to dress exactly like them if you are agreeing with the statement that they strated the "pop-punk" trend. Besides, it was original before people latched on to it, and you can't expect people not to want to look like their idols.

Pre-dookie wear he used to wear a workshirt and tie from time to time, and wearing the exact same outfit every single day, and the same outfit, but with a leather jacket in interviews...(aka AI) are not the same thing. He didnt continue to dress the same way. and the make-up? bags under his eyes and tres just being tre? .. please.. thats dumb. Make-up is in, they wanted to come back and fit in with whats going on now, and they did that very well.

it doesnt matter why, they are still apart of the trend, which they said they would never want to be apart of.

Yes, so I suppose now that they've started a trend they are going to completly dress different and create a whole new wardrobe just because they've become 'Trendy'. Fuck you. I wouldn't. ANd maybe he wears it because he feels good in it or it's comfy or some shit...we'll never know.

People are gonna keep copying his style, no matter what the hell he wears.

Just like on the 'When I Come Around' Video. He wore a stripped sweater, and the next day everyine was wearing one.

Archived