Green Day and Hurricane Katrina

joewithajay

Okay, I'll start by saying I adore Green Day. I have posters around my room, a signed picture, and I was even in the mosh pit for their Bullet in a Bible show. I'm a fan and love them to death.

Part of why I love them is for their courage to speak out, especially against the Bush administration and their mis-managing of pretty much anything they get their hands on. This is an administration which has famously messed up Iraq, but also the hurricane Katrina relief effort.

From the front page:

The visual artists who worked on "The Saints Are Coming" were given the award for 'outstanding visual effects in a music video' on Feb. 11th by the Visual Effects Society . These guys were responsible for taking actual news footage from Hurricane Katrina, then making it seem like a massive military response was present.

Does that last part make anyone else angry? Not at the Admins of this site (I love them), but at what the music video did. The music video showed some of the terrible destruction, but instead of taking a justified stab at the Bush administration for not sending enough relief, they computer-generate a sky full of helicopters! This seems very out of character for a band that has publically denounced Bush so many times that they're world famous for it.

Instead of educating the public on hypocrisy, they show American military/flags with the chorus "The Saints are coming". Yeah, saints. What did the military do? Not much, unless you count shooting anyone which tried to find food, in the name of "preserving peace". Maybe some civilians there were heroes, there are probably many untold stories of courage which we'll never hear of - but take my word on it: the American military were not saints in New Orleans. I'm quite disappointed that Green Day tried to imply this.

I'm glad Green Day are helping the situation, it's just a shame they couldn't do anything to expose the truth.

I think you need to try watching that video again.

Notice at the end how the tanks fade away as the sign saying "Not as seen on TV" comes up. The whole video is a jab at the Bush admin, saying "If our troops weren't in Iraq, maybe they'd be around to take care of people in New Orleans"

:blink: wtf!?

Notice at the end how the tanks fade away as the sign saying "Not as seen on TV" comes up. The whole video is a jab at the Bush admin, saying "If our troops weren't in Iraq, maybe they'd be around to take care of people in New Orleans"

I couldn't say it better

Really? Wow! I feel pretty silly :P

lol the first time i saw that video i thought all the jets and helicopters were fake and were animated i still think they are

^yes they were nomanated for an award as they can place jets in a video its the real thing dude

I'm fucking tired of hearing about Hurricane Katrina...

Nicely said :thumbsup:

lol the first time i saw that video i thought all the jets and helicopters were fake and were animated i still think they are

they arent animated. they took real footage from videos of military helicopters and tanks and what not a digitally removed the actual rescue helicopters and added the military ones.

you can download some of the photos from here they show the before and after shots as it were plus a couple of shots of Billie and Bono if I remember rightly.

im not mad about it

I didnt think it was bad

if anything it made a point and had a strong statement

which is what Green Day has been doing all along

I thought the ending was awesome and very clever

Very well said! This vid was yet another kick in Bush's arse!

That vid is absolutely awesome. The first couple of times i watched it i actually got goose bumps at that part when the helicopters first appear flying over all that destruction. They totally deserved the award they got for making this video. :thumbsup:

As if Green Day ever took a real stab at Bush to begin with...

Archived