Green Day's playing

The Doctor

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

my whole family hates green day. i deal with all that shit all the time (kinda... they don't say the snare drum is too loose or they play too less of guitar chords.) but my dad did make fun of Billie's voice once when my sister was playing tony hawk. ("...he sounds like an old man when he sings...")

what's the point you're trying to make? :lol: i never said their guitar playing wasn't hard. so what if it is?

haha

i thought you didnt read it properly thats all

we need a guitar skills thread :lol:

Ok I'm trying to get my friend into Green Day. So I started off with Christie Road, and this was her responce:

"ok. i'm trying to be open minded buuuut:

the drummer puts no feel in what he's playing and it's almost like he's struggling to fit in his fills and they're dragging back. all he's playing is straight eight stuff and that's all i ever hear them play it's like he doesn't have much creativity

the guitarist only really plays chords, nothing original and i don't like his voice

the bassist, well, i'm not a bass player but he sounds alright really

oh one more thing i must get in there is that he needs to tighten his snare drum :lol: "

I just want to know what you think of this.. I agree with her that it's only basic guitar chords, but I don't really agree with her about the drumming.. She described them as "straight edge" - I don't think so. I think Green Day have a lot of creativity in their music.

Then I sent her Fashion Victim and Scattered and she said (about both):

"i still feel the drumming is forced, too violent, not many dynamics put into it and no feel. the skin on his snare still sounds too loose. could be the quality of his kit but he'll be rich so he'd do something about that (simon's [Phillips, from Toto (her favourite band)] gives a reeeally nice sound, have a listen). his fills just consist of fast rolls across the drums, not much variation

the guitaring isn't as bad but still, not much creativity put into it. you never hear him go into any inetersting riffs or solos. he's like obsessed with chords again, i don't like his voice, it reminds me of those bands who like do those fake american forced accents (like blink 182)

the bass line isn't too interesting either"

I just want to know what you think of her allegations. There's probably a topic on how Green Day play their instruments but this is about what she said.

:verymad: :verymad: :verymad:

First of all : I think your friend is really pompous oh my god, you tryed to get her into some damn good music

and she began to talk about drummer at first that`s a kinda strange for me .

and then the best thing she trys to criticize Billie I can`t believe what she said SHE MUST HATE ALL PUNK MUSIC its pretty normal to play 3-4 chords at all and she really doesn`t know a lot about playing guitar

saying that Billie is not a good guitar player in a way is just stupid

I`ll give you that :!!!!! there are guitar players who are faster , more innovative , more filigree and there are also guitar player who play the chords even cleaner than Billie Joe Armstrong but there are only a few guitar players who playing useful to the song and have such a good instinct for a catchy tune like Billie!!!!!!

...just pompous

Sorry but I have to say said

I agree with her, they suck.

... yeah always the same...

we already know world sucks -.- :down: *sarcastic

I only play guitar so I'm not gonna argue about bass or drums cos I don't know enough about em... but yeah the chords are simple... but they sound pretty fucking good so who cares? And she said that Tre puts no feeling into his drumming? Has she seen him on the videos and on BIAB - he goes fucking crazy.

I think she should give them more of a chance and not base her opinion soley on Christie Road

that's just his style of singing. i don't see anything wrong with it.

yeah, i don't theres anythinG WRONG WIth it eITHer..

Billie Joe's voice is *very* unique. I think it's a love it or hate it type thing.

yeah, that's soo true

I hate the way Billie puts on that damned American accent.

every singer has his own style of singing. if he wants to sing like that why not. and isee nothing wrong with the american accent.

Billie has a wonderful voice! :wub:

Is your friend stupid or what?

And there's nothing wrong with how Tre plays his drumms.

Okay, I don't play guitar so I can't say anything about chords and stuff like that so I'm gonna say something about Billie's voice. Billie's voice is, as somebody just mentioned, very unique. I have to say that many of singers have quite similar voices, sometimes it's really hard to recognize who is just singing if you don't see a name of a band. Billie's voice is completly different, I'd never mistake it with a voice of the other artist, it's so specific. Someone once said "If you can recognize a band's new song without reading the title of it and generally only hearing it, it means the band is good" and I agree with that. I love Billie's voice it's simply awesome.

what do you mean "puts on"....he's American, he can't help to have an american accent...anyway yes their recorded songs may sound simple, but when they're playing live at conerts they always end the songs all fancy with riffs and stuff. even my dad whose into jam bands said that they were great.

To me when I hear other drummers play their drums it sounds forced. To me however Tre's style of playing goes smoothly. So right now my face looks like this---> :huh: Playing chords is Billie's style of playing, if she wants solos send her some of the 1039 stuff and some of the Kerplunk stuff. And as for the Bass she said it herself she doesn't play bass, compared to other bass players who only do boring riffs, he puts emotion into his playing and doesn't do those standard boring licks.

i have to agree with you. :thumbsup:

how could she say that abput those songs?

the only thing my brother says he hates about green day is billies voice and he hates green day! i hate him.

but even still, i dont think i could ever say those terrible thigns about green day not being creative enough!

i feel stupid and pissed off :happy:

To all of you geniuses who responded to my post about how I hate how Billie puts on an American accent...it was SARCASM!! The original post said something about how he puts on an American accent and the remark was idiotic because he is American and that is the way he talks. I was bringing attention to the ridiculousness of the remark.

You guys need to get a clue.

i play guitar, and so about Billie's playing..... hes fucking amazing. yeah its simple but thats the beauty of it. the way he puts simple chords together to sound so good is incredible. and altho i dont play drums or bass, Tre's drumming and Mike's playing are some of the best stuff i've heard. as for Billie's voice.... i just absolutely LOVE it. a lot of ppl have told me that they hate his voice but his voice is so unique that it is a love or hate thing, just like Michelle7107 said.

Tre sounds too violent? Well, isn't that what "punk rock" is...?

Your friend thinks that she is some music expert... don't listen to crap like her

How can she tell that they need to tighen their snare drum? :lol:

Loose and tight drums have different sounds. It's not too hard to tell.

What American accent?

I do think that Tre's drumming is too sloppy, though.

^Bullshit that's his style and if she wants

riffs tell her to listen to Carlos Santana.

Green Day write fantastic pop songs, which means that songs are simple, catchy and effective.

They could do with being more adventurous in their playing, and Tre could probably chill out a little when he plays but they're not bad. Jesus of Suburbia is given far too much credit, since it's only 5 simple pop-punk tunes stuck together.

There will always be people who are not into Green Day, and that's just one of them.

But then again, Christie Rd. is pretty simple and mellow, but it's still a good song.

Archived