whats so bad about liking green day after AI

mel_92

Nothing is wrong with it, at all.

Christ I didn't become a Green Day fan until the Warning era, although my initiation album was Dookie.

As others have said, as long as you respect an artist's work, there's nothing wrong with becoming familiar with it (and enjoying it) at any point. I've only recently realised how fucking brilliant The Clash are, I don't think that makes me any less of a fan than the old school 'purists'.

That said whilst American Idiot is artistically Green Day's strongest album, I'm a strong believer that Insomniac remains their best album musically, and a very close second artistically. AI may have got you into Green Day, but don't assume it's their best work until you have listened to everything.

U rock YellowMonkeyMan

One of my friends, she was a teenie, now she's into that whole rap thing. But anyway, I was playing Green Day off my cell, and she says 'I'm not really into Green Day much anymore.' So I reply, " Oh, I still am.. obviously. I love their album Warning right now." Then she says "Oh, I haven't listened to that in a while, I put it way in the back of my CDs because Billie looks ugly on it. He's not hot on it, so I don't want to listen to it"

Your teenie example of the day.

And anyway, no. I got into them when I heard a mix of WMUWSE on the radio that one of the radio guys had put together. They put some things about the twin towers inbetween the breaks, like news reports and things. I had heard Holiday, BoBD, When I Come Around, and Good Riddance before that, but I never really got into them until WMUWSE. Now I've been into them since September 11, 2005, and I guarentee you, I'm not a teenie. I'm an overly obsessed Green Day fanatic.

Its ok i know they have other albums

Shut up you cow! Just becasue they became a Green Day fan in the American Idiot era it doesnt make them less of a fan. Some of them actaully like the music on AI and wanted to listen to more of Green Day and brought their entire back catalouge.

thats right

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How about this for an idea...why don't we all stop judging others on the music they like, and start letting their intelligence be our gauge, hmm?

people trend for something and then trend to judge trending...

those are bullshit...

we should just do what we wanna do...

Well, judging from the MCR sig, they opened the wrong doors.

:lol: That was a totally good call. :cool:

haha, i remember in the beginning, after AI came out, there was sooo much crap about Green Day selling out and about noobies and it was way cooler to like old-school Green Day, which is true(jk). I got intimidated a few times whenever i was thinking about posting how i actually got into Green Day after American Idiot, even though I had liked some of their older songs a while back. It doesn't matter what some annoying people say...

How about this for an idea...why don't we all stop judging others on the music they like, and start letting their intelligence be our gauge, hmm?

thats right

There's absolutely nothing wrong with liking Green Day after AI. Some people are just snobs!

I've liked them since Dookie. I remember trying to get my baby son off to sleep at like 1 in the morning and having the telly on and Green Day would come on with When I Come Around, so I'd rock him to sleep to the beat of the song, but then I just got too busy with motherhood to keep up with what the band was doing so I sort of drifted away. Then when Brain Stew and then Good Riddance came I got more into them again, and then even more when International Superhits and then AI came out. I have all their CDs and listen to them in regular rotation from 39 Smooth to AI.

Also, so many people get into bands or artists long after they've stopped making music, eg, The Beatles. Even Billie, who was born in 1972, is a big Beatles fan, but they had already split long before that.

I certainly don't think Green Day judge their fans. Whether we're old-school or new I think they love us all the same.

There's nothing bad with liking Green day because of American Idiot. It's not my case of course. I've loved them since I saw them play at the final gig of Operation ivy at Gilman. Wait, I'm dreaming again. :/

Haha, you guys are awesome! :lol:

You are awesome Daiana. :lol:

No diffrence between people who became a fan after AI and ones became a fan after dookie.

I dont think that You should know every detail about their life and past to be a good fan you should be a good listener

That's what I did too. I didn't become a fan till like in 2005. I wish I could've been a fan for a longer time but it wasn't my fault. I bought all there cds after that. They opened up a whole new world of music to me. :happy:

Inez your exactly like me :D I wish to death I would've been a fan in their earlier days too but as long as you can't turn back time there's no need to dwelling on that.

I dont think that You should know every detail about their life and past to be a good fan.

well if you do you can understand their music more = be a better fan :lol: well not a better fan but.. blah blah.

well if you do you can understand their music more = be a better fan :lol: well not a better fan but.. blah blah.

sure you can understand their music better but its still about understanding them not that, were did Billie Joe used to pee only becaus thats fun to know

sure you can understand their music better but its still about understanding them not that, were did Billie Joe used to pee only becaus thats fun to know

no of course you're right about that.

i think there isn't bad thing if you found Gd when the AI came out.

maybe it just depends about that, when people imagine that if you have found gd after ai, you haven't heard the old stuff and..

there were a lot of teenies on this board during AI - i didn't join for about 4 months because there were so many, and when i did, everyone was so pissed off with noobs that i spent another two months not really doing anything on here because when i did i got the shit kicked outta me :lol::lol:

but now, most of the teenies have dropped off the bandwagon so to speak. I think last year if you said you liked Green Day they assumed you were a teenie and hated you for it. Now though, people can see who was just a teenie and who was for real. I reckon a lot of members on this forum only joined last year or the year before and they're still here.

You're absolutely right, AI showed me a new life - a much better one at that. Thanks to Green Day i now have awesome taste in music :cool: i get to go see bands every month and rock the fuck out, they helped me define what kind of music i liked, and helped me realise it doesn't matter what the fuck people think or say about you, and i'm learning how to play the guitar, which keeps me busy. Before i used to sit in my room bored out of my fucking head crying cause i was so depressed. Green Day made me better, and if it wasn't for AI i don't know what would have happened.

It sounds like bullshit, but it's true.

^^ oops - sorry for the essay :lol:

i think thats its cool i did the same thing and as long as you know that its not their first album and you have more albums thatn ai then youre rockin

i didnt even no who green day were before AI and now the only album i dont have is there first. yeah just like whatever, if you dont like green days old stuff thats fine to, as long as you listen to it coz you like not coz othes are telling you to. it doesnt make you a teenie if you like AI over dookie either.

im an on/off fan mainly switched in the off position unless its stuff from dookie

good album has the best songs they ever produced

There's notghing to like Green Day after AI. I become a big fan of then becuae of AI but then I bought there olds albums and I love all there albums. I'm a "new" fans, but I feel like I knew Green Day for many years...

Only serious assholes think that it's against the rules to like Green Day after AI. American Idiot was a great album, despite the fact that it got popular. Like whatever you like and don't be ashamed of it. :thumbs:

i didnt start listening to green day until after american idiot and i consider myself a big fan, even an old fan not old cause i've listened to them forever old because i listen to alot of their old stuff.some people mainly the new fans only listen to ai and dont even know theres a dookie, that i think is stupid

your not a green day fan if you dont know what dookie is

Archived