How Green Day records their songs

Blastero

I've been wondering lately. How does Green Day record their songs. I'm not under the impression that they use direct digital recording. Do they place microphones in front of the amps?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it all depends

it depends on the song and a bunch of other things including the producer

I mean they don't do the same thing every time

It is hard to achieve such a warm tone using direct digital. So they would most likley use a condenser or an sm57 (Dynamic) microphone at the front and back of the amp to create a fuller tone on the recording. :)

They record the music itself (intrumentals) first, using microphones stratigically placed in the booth.

Then they edit the sound to how they want it, and play it through headphoes while the artists sings the vocals into a microphone, which records the sound.

I dont know if thats how Green Day does it, but it's how some artists do :happy:

I've been wondering lately. How does Green Day record their songs. I'm not under the impression that they use direct digital recording. Do they place microphones in front of the amps?

I don't know. Why? :/

They lay down the drums then the bass and then the guitar and then the main vocals and then the back ups. Does that answer ur question? Or do you mean how do they get the sound from the amps to the cd with out it sounding funny by just recording it as it comes out of the amps. If thats wut you mean then I have no idea.

They record the music itself (intrumentals) first, using microphones stratigically placed in the booth.

Then they edit the sound to how they want it, and play it through headphoes while the artists sings the vocals into a microphone, which records the sound.

I dont know if thats how Green Day does it, but it's how some artists do :happy:

On the making of AI Billie is singing into a microphone, so I guess that is how they pretty much do it.

It is hard to achieve such a warm tone using direct digital. So they would most likley use a condenser or an sm57 (Dynamic) microphone at the front and back of the amp to create a fuller tone on the recording. :)

That makes sense.

As far as why I care, it's partly out of curiosity, and partly because I may end up starting a band one day soon, and I like knowing different recording methods.

That makes sense.

As far as why I care, it's partly out of curiosity, and partly because I may end up starting a band one day soon, and I like knowing different recording methods.

Well if you do start a band and plan on recording stuff your probably not going to have all of the stuff Green Day has anyway. You'll probably end up using something like Audacity on your computer and a cheap mic at first. The actual studio mics and stuff are expensive.

it sucks that equipment is expensive. it makes it hard for new bands to start out and sound good. unless you are just talented anyway. :verymad:

it sucks that equipment is expensive. it makes it hard for new bands to start out and sound good. unless you are just talented anyway. :verymad:

Yeah kind of, but there are usually some studios that you can get your demos or whatever recorded for a set price a day.

why dont you email a bands record company asking if i wanted to know that shit say about someone like stone sour id email roadrunner asking them or send in a question to there trivia person amy its just the best way to get an answer

GOD. Think about it. Obviously they don't put a mic in front of the amp, I mean...seriously...THINK.

And

"On the making of AI Billie is singing into a microphone, so I guess that is how they pretty much do it."

What do you think he's gonna sing into?

im doing a music production course at college

bassically, in simpleton yerms.

you record the intrument, the vocals, the backing vocals and 'extra' instrument, by that i mean trumphets etc.

you record each one singly on 'channels' there are 8 channels in total, so voclas one, drums on another etc.

the beatles were the 1st band to do this, the did it on 4 channels. bit of general knowledge there for ya :P

it depends on the producer and the band, but this is usally what happens, they it is all mastered etc

as for the microphones, no the are none on the amps, the dums are miced up and the singers use a microphone... in the booth are numerous 'plugs sickets' and the drum mics are plugged into these channel, and then the amps etc. there are a few for the drums, there about *8* microphones for a drum set up

make sense, or have i confused you more!lol

im doing a music production course at college

bassically, in simpleton yerms.

you record the intrument, the vocals, the backing vocals and 'extra' instrument, by that i mean trumphets etc.

you record each one singly on 'channels' there are 8 channels in total, so voclas one, drums on another etc.

the beatles were the 1st band to do this, the did it on 4 channels. bit of general knowledge there for ya :P

it depends on the producer and the band, but this is usally what happens, they it is all mastered etc

as for the microphones, no the are none on the amps, the dums are miced up and the singers use a microphone... in the booth are numerous 'plugs sickets' and the drum mics are plugged into these channel, and then the amps etc. there are a few for the drums, there about *8* microphones for a drum set up

make sense, or have i confused you more!lol

what about a nine piece band does it go larger then 8 channels im guessing it does

Well, I know some bands do place mics infront of their amps and record straight from that, however, it sounds like Green Day are a bit more precise with their methods, using expensive mics can be a bit complicated if you record in a small room, you need good acoustics that's for sure, so make sure the room is nice and spacious.

Oh and, these wankers saying "Why do you care?" Well...it's the guy's prerogative, he wants to know what other bands use so it can influence his recording methods, it's just like people asking what equipment they use, what their setlist was on a specific date, what eyeliner Billie Joe wears etc etc, except I believe this thread is more worthwhile...but whatever.

how does it make a difference?

placement of the mc, and the speaker cone, every cone has a hot spot where it gives the most sound

the guitars are almost always doubled

that would be kinda hard recording the vocals without music (to me it would)

but I know effects are last

Archived