Green Day Biography

Fuzz

It's time for a new biography to be written for Green Day on GDA. Instead of me writing it, i'm asking for anyone who's interested to help out. I was telling Tyke how sad it is that Wikipedia has a better bio for the band than we do. So i figured the best way to make sure we cover everything, and it's in tip top shape, would be to get people who wanted to help, to write. So you guys can discuss how you think it should be setup (i.e. split up by years, by album, whatever) and then you guys can write the sections individually - then your peers will look at it and edit it. All the while I'll be posting the updated versions in this post, so we can keep track of what we have.

We will be splitting up the new bio in album era's. Below are the current assignments for people working on specific era's.

• billie monster - Early Beginnings
  • andy4 - Early Beginnings / 1039 era
  • emotion sickness - Dookie era
  • 14razorbacks - Insomniac era
  • VictimOfAuthority - nimrod. era
  • ExtraordinaryxGirl - Warning/Shenanigans era
  • spark in the night - American Idiot era
if you want to write about a specific era, please read through this thread to get an understanding of what we're looking for. then reply here and let us know. Those not assigned to a specific section can help edit and shap the final bio.

We will be creating a subforum for this project once some sections start getting completed, that way it'll be easier to discuss each section for editing.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it should be split up by each of their records, but starting with an early bio of the band before any of the records came out.

Damn that Wikipedia! but it is a good bio on there.

I agree it should be split up into records, because the songs really reflect the things green day were going through at the time they were written and performed. That is the way most bio's i have read have been written, it works well.

Also if you were do it in decades, there would be alot of info to fit in the 90's. It is not as balanced, well that is what i think

Yeah, i say by album, but like the person before said, with a intro about their lives before green day, childhoods, etc...

Damn that Wikipedia! but it is a good bio on there.

I agree it should be split up into records, because the songs really reflect the things green day were going through at the time they were written and performed. That is the way most bio's i have read have been written, it works well.

Also if you were do it in decades, there would be alot of info to fit in the 90's. It is not as balanced, well that is what i think

Yeah, i say by album, but like the person before said, with a intro about their lives before green day, childhoods, etc...

yeah albums are good but wat about wat going on during or after the albums like they just made a single

Well we would include EVERYTHING that happened during that album time. The bio isn't the discography, we're just gonna use the albums to organize the time periods in Green Day's career.

but it wouldn't be actually have subheadings for each album would it? it would just be like andres said a format/outline thing. so: childhoods, early days, each album (which includes tours/events/success/failure and all that stuff) also i think certain words should be linked like wikipedia to go to the lyrics page of a mentioned song or album or something.

yeah i also think like some diffifault time when they were struggling some of that was caught on video like i think it was called driven or something like during some psrts of talking about that time i think there should be little links going to that video or something

I think the biography should be split up by decades, so we could include a history of their childhood. After that, however, their biography should be organized by each album. (this makes it easier to understand.) I think the bio should also include brief interviews with them and explain why some people hate them for "ruining punk" to develop a deeper understanding of Green Day's lifestyle. At least that's what I think.

I think the biography should be split up by decades, so we could include a history of their childhood. After that, however, their biography should be organized by each album. (this makes it easier to understand.) I think the bio should also include brief interviews with them and explain why some people hate them for "ruining punk" to develop a deeper understanding of Green Day's lifestyle. At least that's what I think.

but there was only 2 decades if u count before they started touring

I think that the best idea is to wright about there early life before there first album and after that it should be spilt by each album, like many people saied here.

i agree, i think we should do it similarly to the way the pic vault is split up, by album but also covering the era of the album. if it matched the vault, it'd also add a sense of correlation to the site.

p.s. i'd love to write some, if someone would be willing to make sure i get everything.

coincidentally, I was thinking on writing a little bio for Green Day of the American Idiot album, just for something to do lol

I think it sounds like a terrific idea to have several fans write pieces of Green Day's bio

and content wise, I say whatever we find is what we can say

there's a lot of personal information, but somehow it reached public eye so it's up for grabs

I mean, I won't go overboard on it and sound like a creep, but like talking about childhood and stuff is alright. We gotta tell how they started out dont we?

As for breaking it up, I think we should do it by album, but also encompass the years around it before the next album

for example- to talk about 1039/SOSH, yes you talk about the process of making the album, but also you gotta talk about their childhood, Sweet Children, EP's, and then anything that happened between 1039 and Kerplunk (their first tour?)

Billie meeting Adrienne would be great place to move into the Kerplunk section and then the debate of signing to a major label would be it's exit to Dookie

see what I'm saying?

I dont care what I do, but I defintley want to write a piece

I think that you should combine some of the individual bios in a way so it forms one big ol' Green Day bio, after the story of their childhoods.

i'm not sure how much we want to go into their personal lives in each year. i mean, some things that might be relevant to the band could go in, but the other things can stay in the personal bio's. The band bio should remain one to talk about the history of the band and what they went through with each album, etc. etc. LIke i said, obviously at some point personal stuff will fit into the story, but i'd like to stay away from having their personal stuff go to far in a tangent from the main band bio.

Maybe we need to find someone who's interested in writing about their childhoods? Maybe a well devolped paragraph or two talking about what brought mike and billie together, when they started playing, and then when they went on to form sweet children.

After someone writes that, someone else can pick up the story from that to the band coming together and writing music and playing shows together up (i.e. gilman) up to the point where they record 1039/smooth where we can start organizing by album.

I agree it should be split up into records, so people can look find events that happened during the era of a particular record, which would be an easy way of finding things out.

I would love to help out with writing any part of it. :)

i'm not sure how much we want to go into their personal lives in each year. i mean, some things that might be relevant to the band could go in, but the other things can stay in the personal bio's. The band bio should remain one to talk about the history of the band and what they went through with each album, etc. etc. LIke i said, obviously at some point personal stuff will fit into the story, but i'd like to stay away from having their personal stuff go to far in a tangent from the main band bio.

Maybe we need to find someone who's interested in writing about their childhoods? Maybe a well devolped paragraph or two talking about what brought mike and billie together, when they started playing, and then when they went on to form sweet children.

After someone writes that, someone else can pick up the story from that to the band coming together and writing music and playing shows together up (i.e. gilman) up to the point where they record 1039/smooth where we can start organizing by album.

yeah that sounds great. their personal lives shouldn't go into the band bio, only if it's really relevant.

couldn't say the rest better than you did, I think we should go for that.

I think this is already claimed that we shouldn't, but I really don't think that we should organize it by decade like on Wikipedia. as you guys said, it would be too much in the 90's and not a good balance. so go for the album thing.

and one more thing. It's pretty obvious I guess but everybody has different types of writing so the whole thing needs to be read and edited carefully by someone that can make it all sound like one unit, not just like different chapters by different persons.

Yes everybody! Wa-up? I'm new around here and right now I'm listening to green day on my PSP. A new bio, yeah! I've been a ussual visitor of this sit the last year and really lovit. The bio should be called: "The life of rebels". It should have any information whatso-ever included. From their families, to their music. From their sport, to their religion. :whistling:

At first I thought that it would be better to split it up by years, but after reading the rest of the posts it does seem more logical to divide into album eras. It would be easier to follow and understand.

By the way, I agree with emotion sickness that in that way it would be better to link it with the organisation the picture vault has.

Also, having several people to write the differents parts may not give such a good biography. Maybe people could post here the events they think should be mentioned and someone could try pulling it all together and then, after posting that first version of the complete bio, other people could make suggestions about how to write some things and change some sentences or the order in which they are written, etc. In this way, everyone can contribute to writing the bio and making it as good as possible, and it won't sound as segmented making it one solid and 'flowing' (to put it in words) bio.

I should write it in years. It's probably the easiest, and you could put a lot of information in it.

I should write it in years. It's probably the easiest, and you could put a lot of information in it.

what do you mean in years? you mean organize it by decades? uhmm no I don't think so. it would probably be easier to do it by album. plus - that makes it easier for the reader too, especially for those who doesn't know much about GD yet.

and there will be no difference about how much information you could put there though. it's just a question of how to organize it :)

Also, having several people to write the differents parts may not give such a good biography. Maybe people could post here the events they think should be mentioned and someone could try pulling it all together and then, after posting that first version of the complete bio, other people could make suggestions about how to write some things and change some sentences or the order in which they are written, etc. In this way, everyone can contribute to writing the bio and making it as good as possible, and it won't sound as segmented making it one solid and 'flowing' (to put it in words) bio.

yeah that's an idea.. but I still think it would be better if we could split up the parts along members here to write 'cause then people could actually feel they've been a part of it. and if everybody posted what they want to be in the bio it would be very hard work for the writer. you can read my other posts and you'll get an idea of my opinion about it. haha as if anyone was interested :lol:

As for breaking it up, I think we should do it by album, but also encompass the years around it before the next album

for example- to talk about 1039/SOSH, yes you talk about the process of making the album, but also you gotta talk about their childhood, Sweet Children, EP's, and then anything that happened between 1039 and Kerplunk (their first tour?)

Billie meeting Adrienne would be great place to move into the Kerplunk section and then the debate of signing to a major label would be it's exit to Dookie

I like this idea best. Then before Insomniac we could write about the pressure that was put on them to write "Dookie part 2", Billie and Mike's panic attacks, and all the backlash they continued to get. Maybe we could also use direct quotes from the band that's relevant to whatever we're discussing, to kind of emphasize the point.

Archived