we are the champions green day version

Anko

we are the chanpions  

150 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The lyrics seem to be about how hard it is to achieve a place in the spotlight and how hard it is to be in that spotlight once you get there. The verses seem sort of humble, like the performer is giving himself up to the audience and giving his all, but then the chorus seems arrogant, almost a put down (no time for losers???)unless you take it as ironic. But it doesn't really come off as ironic (even thought Billie Joe said in an interview that he thought people could see the irony in it -- I guess I'm not one of those people.) So it's just weird for me to hear those words coming out of Billie Joe's mouth: ...no time for losers cause we are the champions. And weird to hear him perform such a weighted down, overblown, over-the-top kind of song.

You know, Delfina...We Are The Champions is one of my favourite songs, I've listened to it for years, and I always thought Freddie meant that we are all winners...

Anyway, that's just my interpretation of the song and I may be wrong.

Okay, but the irony is only theoretical. There's nothing about the way he performs it that suggests irony, nor do I think the fans see it as funny or think there's an inside joke in a self-proclaimed loser singing "We Are the Champions." He's all sweaty and sincere and practically crying, the poor man! ;)

I hate that they do this song, I really do. :)

He sees the irony and the truth of it at the same time; the chorus is a battle-cry.

If GD had done the cover much earlier in their career, I don't think I would've liked it at all. It's largely because they are at a point now where they have earned the right to sing it that I like it so well.

True, Billie's voice isn't as strong as Freddie's, but he still does an excellent job on the song. It was a nice surprise when I heard GD do it the first time. :)

I think many people have missed the point of the song, Queen wrote it as a song to sing along to at footie games and so on, it doesnt have a deep meaning like you all think it has, it simply means, as St.Anger put it, that we are all winners, really a song like this should only be sang at games and festivals like Reading and Leeds, even Glastonbury. Queen + Paul Rogers can play it whenever they want, it's their song (and Freddie's) Green Day are really tacky, playing it at every concert of the AI period (probrably not every, but i have a ton of bootlegs) they themselves have missed the point of the song. Stop trying to make it out as a really true meaningful song, while it has sentiment, it's all about winning and that's it.

i think that they didnt ruin it i think that i quite like there version but its not as good as the original

Yep, I think they ruined it. I just don't like it at all. It kinda ... sucks.

i don't think they ruined it all...i can't think of ANY cover that they've ruined..

Green Day like never ruins anything.

haha i agree!! as you can see ^^^

I loved it. It was amazing. Now I'm gonna go to youtube and lsiten/ watch it again.

My friend told me that he's respect for green day dissappeared right after he heard their we are the champions- performance.

I agree that it wasn't the best one performation but actually, I liked it.. I think they didn't ruin it. No way!

green day can't ruin songs..

Yes they can but they haven't done it yet with any song... And I'm sure they're not going to even do so :)

I love their cover. It's on my iPOD. I don't think they ruined it at all. I think it's just as good as the original.

Also that Jimmy Kimmel thing is hilarious, the part where Billie says "We should leave before our fans find us here". Or the part where Tre shoves the cookies down his shirt and steals the presents. Gets me every time. :D

Okay, i'm definitely going to listen to it tonight, lol...i haven't even heard it yet. Bad fan, i know. :P

Ruined it sounds a bit harsh. I thought it was just OK. I give props to them for doing it because its a hard key to sing in (unless you're Freddie). It showed too in Live8. A hot and tired Billie was pretty pitchy in that performance. I didn't think GD brought anything new to the table, though. It's simply the same arrangement. I always like it when a band puts their own spin on a song.

Ya wanna hear a REAL bad version, listen to Liza Minelli sing it at the Freddie tribute back in the 90s. Phew boy!

Archived