we are the champions green day version

Anko

we are the chanpions  

150 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I dont think they ruined it at all, I think they did it in their own way. Billie Joe isn't trying to be Freddie Murcury and I think some people compare the two versions two much instead of appriciating that it is meant to be different!

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Their version is great its not better or worse than Queen its different, you couldnt try to be Freddie Mercury just sing the song the way you wanna sing it, its not ruined at all.

I particularly love the Live 8 performance of this song - I think it's more than a cover, the lyrics have total resonance for Billie Joe and Green Day, and I think that while it serves as an homage to Freddie, Billie Joe totally makes that song his own when he performs it.

they didn't ruined the song..it's just different, good different. Billie is no Freddie Mercury so we cannot ask for much, and they did a great cover.

I particularly love the Live 8 performance of this song - I think it's more than a cover, the lyrics have total resonance for Billie Joe and Green Day, and I think that while it serves as an homage to Freddie, Billie Joe totally makes that song his own when he performs it.

I love this one too :) ...and I agree with every word, is diferent music on Billie's voice :)

I think they did a great cover. Like justcause said, great tribute to Freddie Mercury, but still making it Green Dayish.

:thumbsup:

And what performance is this "rick James Bitch" thing? :woot:

I just watched some of Jimmy Kimmel and couldnt find it...

lol what vid did you watch?

if its the one that girl was taping from the balcony, then the performance is at the end

lol what vid did you watch?

if its the one that girl was taping from the balcony, then the performance is at the end

I watched some american idiot thing, and a BOBD thing.

Do you possibly have a link? :)

i like it very much.....i cry when billie joe sing it in the live8 ! :/ :wub:

although the queen's version its espectacular!

I've never liked the song and I don't understand why Green Day would choose to cover it. It seems strange for them to play something so bombastic and overwrought. They're all about being direct and honest. Even when their songs are artful and heartbreaking and soulful they retain that directness, which this song just doesn't have.

The lyrics seem to be about how hard it is to achieve a place in the spotlight and how hard it is to be in that spotlight once you get there. The verses seem sort of humble, like the performer is giving himself up to the audience and giving his all, but then the chorus seems arrogant, almost a put down (no time for losers???)unless you take it as ironic. But it doesn't really come off as ironic (even thought Billie Joe said in an interview that he thought people could see the irony in it -- I guess I'm not one of those people.) So it's just weird for me to hear those words coming out of Billie Joe's mouth: ...no time for losers cause we are the champions. And weird to hear him perform such a weighted down, overblown, over-the-top kind of song.

I've never liked the song and I don't understand why Green Day would choose to cover it. It seems strange for them to play something so bombastic and overwrought. They're all about being direct and honest. Even when their songs are artful and heartbreaking and soulful they retain that directness, which this song just doesn't have.

The lyrics seem to be about how hard it is to achieve a place in the spotlight and how hard it is to be in that spotlight once you get there. The verses seem sort of humble, like the performer is giving himself up to the audience and giving his all, but then the chorus seems arrogant, almost a put down (no time for losers???)unless you take it as ironic. But it doesn't really come off as ironic (even thought Billie Joe said in an interview that he thought people could see the irony in it -- I guess I'm not one of those people.) So it's just weird for me to hear those words coming out of Billie Joe's mouth: ...no time for losers cause we are the champions. And weird to hear him perform such a weighted down, overblown, over-the-top kind of song.

It's ironic because the guy singing it has said in the past that there's nothing wrong with being a loser - it just depends on how good you are at it.

He's good at it, yeah? :)

It's ironic because the guy singing it has said in the past that there's nothing wrong with being a loser - it just depends on how good you are at it.

He's good at it, yeah? :)

Okay, but the irony is only theoretical. There's nothing about the way he performs it that suggests irony, nor do I think the fans see it as funny or think there's an inside joke in a self-proclaimed loser singing "We Are the Champions." He's all sweaty and sincere and practically crying, the poor man! ;)

I hate that they do this song, I really do. :)

Archived