U2 to record with Green Day / Confirmed

Fuzz

Rolling Stone Daily

www.rollingstone.com

Thursday, September 14, 2006

GREEN DAY, U2 TO DEBUT NEW SONG ON MONDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL

GREEN DAY and U2, will debut their recent collaboration, a cover of Scottish punk band THE SKIDS' 1978 song "The Saints Are Coming," live at the New Orleans Superdome on September 25th. The performance, airing on Monday Night Football, will mark the Superdome's official reopening after its forced closure in the wake of Hurricane Katrina last year. Both bands plan on releasing the song as a single to benefit Music Rising, a fund started by U2 guitarist THE EDGE to help New Orleans musicians. The Edge explains the choice of song to "Time Magazine," saying, [it] was a big inspiration to us at the time and couldn't be more in the sweet spot of what Green Day are about ... It's a bit of mournful sentiment, but we play it pretty fast, definitely under three minutes." U2 are currently in a London studio working with RICK RUBIN on their next album. "I have a feeling that because of Rick's presence and some other things as well that it's going to sound very different," said the Edge. "When people spend time with it, they'll pick up on a different spirit, and I think it is a departure. We don't want to spend a whole lot of time on this album, so hopefully we'll get on a roll and get it out there."

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hahaha. that video was pricless. :lol:

OH. and thats cool about the football thing. now i have a reason to watch.

lets get ready for some football! :woot:

i'm watching the video (abbey road) and i've realised the guys are taking pics everytime thelight is red! and the buses are making noise everytime they take a bit long! why dont they let the poor rockstars do it calmly.., crazy ppl i wouldve given them all the time in my world, and it looks as if they are modeling or something

i'd rather cut my ears with razorblades than listen to U2! fuck that stupid prick bono, he's gonna taint GD!!!

taint? hows about you get used to the idea that these guys do what they want, when they want. always have done and always will. you must have this fixed idea in your mind about the band, and well, its wrong. forget the ideals, forget the fantasies about bands. they, believe it or not are real people who do things that you might not agree with.

if you hate U2 then fair enough. but by putting green day on such a pedestal that you think that people they obviously get on with are going to "taint" them is just silly. forget your pre-conceptions and you might just enjoy the results of this collaboration.

plus you might just learn something.

hate things when you can see the reality in front of you, not for what you imagine the results will be.

damn, I really must stop waffling. :bored:

i'd rather cut my ears with razorblades than listen to U2! fuck that stupid prick bono, he's gonna taint GD!!!

so you don't care at all that they're raising loads of money to help churches and schools get back some music in their lives after the unbelievable suffering that the people there experienced last year?

some people think green day need protecting from themselves. despite the fact they are grown men.

thankfully they dont take any notice of forums and do what they want to. which means we end up with bloody good music thats still true to what they were doing years ago and they arent hiding out in bomb shelters from those obsessed with labels.

I used to hate U2. Until, omg, I actually listend to their stuff. Old and new, it's amazing. Bono is very talented, stop bashing.

Yes, I could do without seeing him everywhere, but at least he is using his fame for a good cause. I don't see why some people are getting so worked up over it. It will benefit the Katrina victims, you pricks.

The new Green Day/U2 collaboration seems like a record company PR stunt. Especially since Bono publicly criticised Green Day last year saying "How far can you push a three piece rock band?"

He was also reportedly frosty with Billie Joe when they met at an awards ceremony early last year. :down:

The new Green Day/U2 collaboration seems like a record company PR stunt. Especially since Bono publicly criticised Green Day last year saying "How far can you push a three piece rock band?"

He was also reportedly frosty with Billie Joe when they met at an awards ceremony early last year. :down:

The two seemed to be getting on Ok at the grammies this year...and let's not forget that the bands were basically playing 'rival' tours last year. I think U2's Vertigo tour and Green Day's AI tour were two of the biggest, there was bound to be some lighthearted comments made, like when Billie said at one of his shows "I want you to scream so loud that everybody at that U2 concert hears you."

like when Billie said at one of his shows "I want you to scream so loud that everybody at that U2 concert hears you."

:lol: I wish I could have heard that

I haven't posted this on the mainsite, since i'd much rather wait for a more formal clarification - but according to this forum post U2 and Green Day are going to record a song.

--

U2 TO RECORD

Well, that is what Bono told this afternoon over the phone to Michka Assayas - author of the book Bono on Bono. Bono sang an old Skids song to him, explaining that U2 is to record it soon with Green Day.

--

I guess i'm posting both for dicussion, and to see if we can find anymore info about it. I don't know if it's true, but this was sent to me through the "submit news", so i figured it at least wouldn't hurt to find some more info about it.

if you are a fan of u2 why you dont suscribe to that forum ?

The two seemed to be getting on Ok at the grammies this year...and let's not forget that the bands were basically playing 'rival' tours last year. I think U2's Vertigo tour and Green Day's AI tour were two of the biggest, there was bound to be some lighthearted comments made, like when Billie said at one of his shows "I want you to scream so loud that everybody at that U2 concert hears you."

I just thought it was a bit strange considering the comments they've made about each other, that they're now working together. I was under the distinct impression that Bono didn't like Billie Joe.

I also thought that the anouncment was rather OTT. Why did it come from Green Day's camp?

Personally I dont care about U2.

Archived