Seize the Green Day

Fuzz

great story and I know exactly how Billie felt there. I have been there too. I sing too a bit and I can sing for a hundred people but not for three. They see right through you..

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow!

Talk about hitting home!

I have always been a punk and a Green Day fan, but somewhere, in the last 10 years or so, in trying to be everyone else's definition of an "adult" I got lost. (probably about the time my four year old loudly and proudly serenaded the bank patrons with all of Sublime's Date rape!)

Last year, upon receiving Bullet in a Bible for a Christmas gift, I looked at myself and said "Shit! I'm only two years older then these guys and look at me! What the hell am I doing! Where the hell did I disappear too?"

I have since shed 50 pounds, and Green Day has been with me literally every step of the way. I walk every day with them in my ears, reminding me that i can do it. That I'm not too old and I can be any kind of "adult" I want to be.

When I'm feeling defeated, I throw that DVD back in and watch Billie run around that stage and say..."If he can do that, I can at least take a 3 mile walk!"

I changed not only my weight, but I rediscovered my little punker within. Fuck the world. I'm back!

Anyway, 50 down and 50 to go, I am and always have been inspired by Green Day, as individuals and as a group. And now I know I'm not alone.

• 3 weeks later...

I think for me, the inspiring thing about Billie Joe is not that I ever thought he was super-human, but that he's this fragile guy with a ferocious gift in him, and the will to push past all his many anxieties and fucked-upness to do what he does. He shares all of his fears as well as his strength in his music.

Angeline, I know you wrote this response a month ago, but I'm only just reading it now. That was a beautiful sentiment, beautifully expressed. Sigh. It brings a tear...

And to the others who responded to this thread, and the original author, it always amazes me and warms my heart how Green Day inspires these heartfelt testimonials from people whose lives have been changed. Thanks for all who shared their stories.

Angeline, I know you wrote this response a month ago, but I'm only just reading it now. That was a beautiful sentiment, beautifully expressed. Sigh. It brings a tear...

And to the others who responded to this thread, and the original author, it always amazes me and warms my heart how Green Day inspires these heartfelt testimonials from people whose lives have been changed. Thanks for all who shared their stories.

Delfina querida :wub: ....você é sempre tão doce :wub: ...yeah, Green Day changed my life, você sabe disso....and I agree with you about Angeline :wub: ...so beatiful words and feelings...

• 3 years later...

I loved this article. I am surprised to read a story closely relating to my own and my obsession with all things green day and Billie Joe especially. I am a 43 year old mother and wife who has become completely infatuated. I too have found my inner rebellious child again after being in a strict religious environment for many years. I saw some things that turned me off to 'religion' and as part of that process started expanding my musical catalogue from Christian contemporary to the likes of grunge, punk and many things in between. My husband has been a punk fan for many years ( he saw the Ramones at the Rathskellar in Boston in the early 80's) and he encouraged me to listen to lots of different stuff, including Green Day. I admit that I had loved "when I come around" for years but when I heard American Idiot, I was hooked. I wore that cd out and started listening to some older greenday. We bought 21st Century the day it came out. My husband took me to see greenday at Boston garden for my birthday on July 20th. So far in my life, that days stands as stellar and now somewhat surreal. I had the most fun I have ever had at that concert. I screamed and danced like I never have before. I even cried at one point. The young dudes around me sitting in my row seemed to think I was off my nut but, I didn't care. I wasn't there for them, I was there for me and to celebrate my band. The writer of this article is living my fantasy. If I hit the lottery, the first thing on my list would be to follow Greenday on tour.

Fan Fic on the other hand is godawful, wishful thinking from bored teens/pre-teens.

That's such a generalised statement and I couldn't disagree with you more.

That's such a generalised statement and I couldn't disagree with you more.

You'll have to take that up with the Andres from 3.5 years ago.

I loved this article. I am surprised to read a story closely relating to my own and my obsession with all things green day and Billie Joe especially. I am a 43 year old mother and wife who has become completely infatuated. I too have found my inner rebellious child again after being in a strict religious environment for many years. I saw some things that turned me off to 'religion' and as part of that process started expanding my musical catalogue from Christian contemporary to the likes of grunge, punk and many things in between. My husband has been a punk fan for many years ( he saw the Ramones at the Rathskellar in Boston in the early 80's) and he encouraged me to listen to lots of different stuff, including Green Day. I admit that I had loved "when I come around" for years but when I heard American Idiot, I was hooked. I wore that cd out and started listening to some older greenday. We bought 21st Century the day it came out. My husband took me to see greenday at Boston garden for my birthday on July 20th. So far in my life, that days stands as stellar and now somewhat surreal. I literally had the most fun I had ever had at that concert. I screamed and danced like I never have before. I even cried at one point. The young dudes around me sitting in my row seemed to think I was off my nut, however, I didn't care. I wasn't there for them, I was therer for my and to celebrate my band. The writer of this article is living my fantasy. If I hit the lottery, the first thing on my list would be to follow Greenday on tour.

I loved this article. I am surprised to read a story closely relating to my own and my obsession with all things green day and Billie Joe especially. I am a 43 year old mother and wife who has become completely infatuated. I too have found my inner rebellious child again after being in a strict religious environment for many years. I saw some things that turned me off to 'religion' and as part of that process started expanding my musical catalogue from Christian contemporary to the likes of grunge, punk and many things in between. My husband has been a punk fan for many years ( he saw the Ramones at the Rathskellar in Boston in the early 80's) and he encouraged me to listen to lots of different stuff, including Green Day. I admit that I had loved "when I come around" for years but when I heard American Idiot, I was hooked. I wore that cd out and started listening to some older greenday. We bought 21st Century the day it came out. My husband took me to see greenday at Boston garden for my birthday on July 20th. So far in my life, that days stands as stellar and now somewhat surreal. I literally had the most fun I had ever had at that concert. I screamed and danced like I never have before. I even cried at one point. The young dudes around me sitting in my row seemed to think I was off my nut, however, I didn't care. I wasn't there for them, I was therer for my and to celebrate my band. The writer of this article is living my fantasy. If I hit the lottery, the first thing on my list would be to follow Greenday on tour.

Seriously, your story is very close to mine. I'm a 45 year old mother. I bought Dookie in '95 and loved "She". But I didn't pay any attention to Green Day again until my daughter brought home American Idiot and I was floored. I can still remember the first time I heard "Holiday" and felt like they were speaking for me. I, too, listen to Christian contemporary, but allowed Green Day to let out my inner rebellious child. I'm near Baltimore like Nikki and probably was at the same concert as her at GMU Patriot Center in 2004. My daughter and I also saw them in 2005 in Columbia, MD right around the corner from my house. I, too, have become obsessed, way more than my daughter. I saw them in DC in 2009. I wrote them an email that told them why I liked their music and thanking them, and said "see you in DC" and I would swear that Billie Joe's comments at the beginning of the show that answered my email. It was an answer to my words exactly. He also has an amazing way to make you feel like he's making eye contact with just you. I've been to lots of concerts and that's the only one where I felt like I made eye contact with someone in the band.

PS The Ramones did a concert right in front of my dorm when I was in college. I was so excited. Unbelievable FREE concert right in front of where I lived. I started getting drunk beforehand, and have no memory of the actual concert.

I think her story is amazing even if it had a dramatic things in...she demonstrated strenght and will of going on...

and about the GD influence: they just saved another life...well done guys!!

You'll have to take that up with the Andres from 3.5 years ago.

Haha, I didn't notice the date of the thread!

I downloaded the whole book-thing, it was great :D If i all of a sudden got a lot of money, i'd use them all up on stalking Green Day, thats for sure. This Nikki is such an inspiration :)

Niki's story is so amazing, as are all the stories that have been shared here. It is great to see how this band has affected so many lives and how they are loved by people of all ages and backgrounds.

• 5 months later...

i have the online book that was released and i love it! niki is so brilliant and her story is awesome and inspiring! i'm so excited that it's being published and i can't believe i'm gonna be in it! if you become a fan of "seize the green day" on facebook,you can find out how to be included! thanks and congrats to niki!

I've read this somewhere before, but can't remember where. I love this story. I wanna go watch the times interview now :happy:

Wow, don't even compare it to fan fiction.

This is an amazing article. I really loved it when she first sent it to me. Fan Fic on the other hand is godawful, wishful thinking from bored teens/pre-teens.

Niki already knows how much I love this article, and I'm really glad she let us publish it on GDA. I think it'sa very well versed statement as to what draws in a lot of Green Day fans to the band. The fact that they did the same thing with her in her 40's made her story seem even more compelling.

I got the chance to meet Niki out in Berkeley in Feb. She is simply a beautiful woman inside and out and I will always feel lucky to have gotten the chance to meet her. Much love to Niki Lee wherever you are!

I got the chance to meet Niki out in Berkeley in Feb. She is simply a beautiful woman inside and out and I will always feel lucky to have gotten the chance to meet her. Much love to Niki Lee wherever you are!

i got the chance to hug her!

and you, and cuddles

EVERYONE HUG ME :runaround:

This is a really amazing articale.

It shows how music can really change someones life.

That was a truly amazing article! Deffinitely inspiring. Especially considering her age and how I couldn't name any person that is even close to 40 that would actually be so devoted and hard working.

Archived