A Green Day Assignment I have!

Lisa Roo

Hello there fellow obsessors of our beloved Green Day!

As part of an R.E. Assignment I have about "Belief and Believers" I have chosen Green Day as my topic. I need to know how they make people believe in God, or just believe and make people inspired. This is where I need your help.

I know their lyrics will help, and general information, too, but what would be really interesting in an assignment would be true stories of how Green Day has changed the course of people's lives. If they have inspired you into doing something, if their music has calmed you down when you need it, if their music is a comfort for when you are sad, or if the band in general has stopped you from doing stupid things.

It would be a very good part of my assignment if I was able to collect this information from fellow fans and by joining this site I hoped to get it.

So if you have a story about how Green Day has touched your heart, please reply, and if you possibly could, could you reply with no netspeak so it is easier for my teacher to understand what you are saying?

Thanks fans!

Signing off,

Lisa Roo.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Green Day has ispried me so much in everything,I voice my opinion more,I have a differant outlook on life,I've grown as a person,They make me happy,Billie Joe writes songs that i can relate to and make me feel liek I'm not alone,There songs always get in my head,I like pretty much every Green Day song,There done so well,Whever I'm sad I watch video of Tré goofing around,he's so funny and he makes me laugh all the time! He should be a comedian,I'm glad he went to clown college,Mike insprised me so much in bass! He makes bass lines that blow my mind! In fact I might be getting a Mike Dirnt signature bass soon.They are just the awesomest people,I love them so much,One day I'm going to thank them for all they've done for me and millions of other fans,I love them

Hope That Helped? :blush:

Well, they make people believe that music can actually be good, and they have also showed that you dont have to be rich and famous from the start to be successful in the future. They have also made many people believe that a band can actually shine again when everyone thinks they're dead. And for Billie Joe, couples can also stay together for as long even though they are usually apart. Yes.

A question I might have forgotten to include at the start:

Have they changed your religious beliefs and/or made them stronger about maybe if there is life after death?

I know it sounds a silly question, but that's basically what my assignment comes down to. Keep the replies coming, the ones I've already got have been great!

My fav green day song is JOS and i love that song because it is just brilliant. No other band could write a 9 minute song that sounds as good as JOS. I like it how the American Idiot album has a story. I play the drums and Tre Cool has made me want to get as good as him or maybe better than him because he's just so good at the drums. I went out and bought some of his Zildjian signature sticks. I also started teaching myself the guitar a couple of weeks ago and i can sorta play sum songs (although the probably sound nothing like them). ummmm well i dont really hav any religos beliefs. but i guess i believe in Green Day. I believe in the Jesus Of Suburbia!

Yes, but that's why I chose them. To try and challenge myself. I just really, the bottom line is, if Green Day has inspired any of you to stop sinning, to stop you from killing/harming yourself or doing anything stupid....

Guest Frikki

I learnt from them, i don't need everyone to push me around. I went through a hard time when I lost someone very close to me and their music was a help through that. it just gave me time away from the reality of it all. They (their music) calmed me when I was angry and that stopped me harming myself.

I haven't stopped sinning, they don't exactly encourage that. They've never made me question religion because I have no religion. I respect all other forms but decide what I think.

Hope you meant that, I think you did.

After I found Green Day, my life changed in the best of ways, as cheezy as that sounds. I now know that voicing my opinion about anything from the government to a flavor of ice-cream I don't like is ok and it won't hurt anyone. I'm also less of a follower, and I belive in myself and only myself. I dress the way I want, choose friends the way I want to, and proudly stand up for anything I belive in. Green Day also pulls me out of depressions and helps me solves problems. It's almost as if there is a song for everytime I'm in need of help. For example, Coming Clean helped me to figure out who I am and not be ashamed of it. All in all, Green Day helps me through everything I need help with, and they've made me a stronger person.

Hope it helped.

it saved my life. at one stage in my life, i had nothing to live for. then i found green day. if it wasnt for them, i wouldnt be here typing this.

it sounds corny, but its true.

Well, I've gone through some tough times, and I probably wouldnt have made it through them without music. When I got mad, I'd just go upstairs to my room and listen to Green Day.. and it always calmed me down, even if nothing else did so I didnt end up hurting myself or smashing something - which is probably what would end up happening if I didnt do something. They've haven't changed my personal views, even before I started listening to them, I beleived what they were saying in thier music. Thats why I love them so much - I can relate to every song in one way or another. And plus, when I hear them something just clicks inside my head that says its great music. Just like with any of my other favorite bands, which have also helped me through some tough times.

... Hoped that helped some.

These replies are doing great, guys, they're really helping contribute to my assignment! THANK YOU! Keep them coming! It's great to hear the good things Green Day has done for you.

Listening to Green Day has changed a big part of my outlook on life. They've taught me that it's okay to be yourself, and it's okay to do what you feel is right, not what others feel is right for you. They've taught me to think for myself. I can't say they've changed my religious beliefs, because I don't have any and they don't exactly express themselves in that subject, but they do teach very good lessons about being yourself.

Aaaaand if you want a real example...This was in the paper somewhere. My mom found it and she gave me the article. I know it's written on GDA somewhere but it's very vague.

There was a boy who was in a hospital because he was very sick, and in a coma. His family knew that his favourite band was Green Day and he always listened to it, so one day they decided to play American Idiot next to his bed. Pretty soon after, he awoke from his coma, and his family believes it was because of Green Day's music. A few weeks later, Green Day came to visit him in the hospital.

------------------------------------------

Hope that helps you! :)

Lisa Roo why dont you ask yourself tthe same question.

what did Green Day do for me, well they made me change my aspect on life and how i look at it, also my attuide to people and ive matured alot because of them

for me... they've inspired me to go after my dream more. and since none of you people know me ill tell you, i want to sing (in a band, im not gonna be no fucking christina aguilara)

i dont know. im embarassed about it. BUT green day inspires me to say "screw it" and try harder to get what i want. PLUS they show people that you can DO what you want in life and even get famous for it and you can still be a good person. look at all the shit other celebs do! im not saying green day hasnt done anything bad, but they havent let it get in the way of what they want. im being vague. whatever.

also they give ME hope that there are still some good bands out there. our selection as of late has been pathetic. oh! AND they show the results of hard, dedicated work. they worked really really hard to get where they are now.

and they also show that you dont have to be mature all the time to be successful. thank god, or id be in alot of trouble.

but anyways, they give hope to people like me who dream of being something virtually inpossible through example. and im being really sappy. but i dont care.

they havent done much by the way of my beliefs in god, really. i think i would have the same beliefs whether they were around or not. and, im sorry to say, they've never really saved my life. ive gotten my self out of my own bad situations. but i feel like ive gained confidence through them and that helps when you're trying to be self-sufficient.

jesus, long mssg. sorry. hope your project goes well!! :thumbsup:

well besides green day teaching me to question authorty and do what i want ad not what im told they have gotten me involved in politics

i think over all they made me more out spoken and more comfortable being myself. But the thing that really learned from their music is the message of good riddance that people that you once hung out with might not want you around any more and you have to deal with it. You need to live in the momment and just look back and say it was fun while it lasted and move on.

Green Day changed my life. They've taught me to have an open mind and not to care what anybody else thinks. I've grown so much as a person since I found Green Day. They also taught me to question authority and that you can go against everything and still be a good person. Although I am not a very religious person, I am very proud to say that Green Day is my religion.

When I listen to Billie Joe singing, I feel happy and like this: :wub:

Billie Joe inspired me to be a rock star (of course in 8 years. When I have 20)

this is cheesy but ohhhhhhhh welll.

Well this is kinda similar to the others but..

Green Day has definately saved my life and changed it in many ways. At times in my life i wanted to commit suicide but i would listen to green day and it would calm me down, it completely changes my mood. They taught me to be an indiviual, to be myself again, to not care what anyone thinks of me, to do what i feel is right. I can relate to lots of their songs, actually ANYONE can relate to many of their songs. I believe there is almost always a song to express what i'm going through, how i feel, ect... Green Day is what helps me through hard times. listening to them changes how i feel and makes me feel just..happy. watching any of their music videos, seeing them on TV makes me feel happy. I have many other reasons but i can't think of anymore right now. But i pretty much owe Green Day my life. I don't know where i would be now without them, and i love them. This probably sounded really cheesy and all but its true and theres a lot more to this.

If i had five cents for everytime a thread like this came up

I wouldnt be on this computer talking to you losers i'd be on a plane to hawaii

By listening to them, I've opened up to so many other bands. Back then, if my parents listened to it, I'd listen to it too (my parents have a very updated music taste). Now, I'm making friends because of music; which is my specialty amongst my friends nowadays. They've made me laugh more times than anything else in the world. They give me something to look forward to or enjoy by myself. It has caused some people to hate me, because I like them, but well, it's not my fault they have a bad taste in music. At one point, they were the only reasoned I lived. Literally. When I'm absolutely sick of "the real world" I can fall back into Green Day and it can be blissfull.

hope that helps

Green Day have inspired me to achieve everyday. To learn something new. They give me strength to stand up for myself. when I feel insecure about something or I feel really low, I either think about them or play a GD song in my head and I feel better, I have more courage. They show me life through the same eyes I have, I just hadn't realized it before. Green Day is something in my heart that I know that no matter what happens in my life, they will always be a comfort to me. Something to fall back on whether its if I feel angry and need to calm down, or if Im hating myself and need an uplifting. They're music, messages, and beliefs of their own have guided me to become a better person

I hope this helps :)

If i had five cents for everytime a thread like this came up

I wouldnt be on this computer talking to you losers i'd be on a plane to hawaii

Honestly, one of the things that bugs me more than anything in the world are people who seek out the things they hate and write rude things about them.

Another thing I've learned from Green Day: Don't take shit from anybody.

Archived