Green Day mentioned in a letter to AFI

You can read this letter sent to AFI and there is a paragraph of GD in there. Its long, but there are some references to GD in the letter. Its kind of interesting. I dont know if this has been touched, so sorry if it has already been found.

Here it is: http://www.miseriacantare.com/openletter.php

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That was a very good read. I wonder if we could put that in a thread somewhere where they like to call Green Day sellouts.

Which i think is absurd anyway. What did they sell out to? The fact that they play kick ass music and the whold world likes it? They can't help that any more than they can do anything about the way the music industry works.....ok thats it for now!

Yeah, i found it to be interesting when the mentioned the dying 10 year old who's wish was to meet Green Day and actually got to.

It was also cool to learn that AFI played Gilman after Green Day "left" the place. I had no clue.

A fucking great letter/article. It doesn't matter if you like AFI or not, if you've ever listened to their music or not, and I don't think it's only about Green Day being mentioned. It's simply an excellent article.

I deeply recommend everyone on here to read it. Just so that we all really get to know the real truth, so that we realise how hard it actually is to be an artist (in this case a musician). I say this because many people don't realise all of what is said on there.

Anyways, thank you loads to 123 for posting this. I really enjoyed reading it.

^ Yea, its not all about the bands mentioned, just the message he was trying to get across and did, to me at least, very well indeed.

That was really freaking cool. I don't really care for AFI as musicians, but from what I've heard about Davey he sounds like a great guy. Whoever wrote that sounds like a pretty kick ass guy too.

that's an amazing letter. Geez, it made me feel weirdly proud :lol:

Guest 16PaperLanterns

that's an amazing letter. Geez, it made me feel weirdly proud :lol:

ha, me too. :)

Guest Quietus

That's amazing, and that kid with cancer story ups my respect for the guys - I didn't even think it was possible to respect them more.

The site that is linked with The Open Letter is my AFI site. That letter was written around 3 years ago by a very cool guy by the name of Marvin Paul Thomas. He emailed it to me after I had asked him about the auction he mentioned in the letter. I then asked him if I could post it on my site and it's been there ever since. It's an amazing letter that every fan of any band should read.

^i love your site

i was about to say that that thing isn't new, but it's really really worth reading.

• 4 weeks later...

intense, when I read that piece about that kid with the cancer, I almost cried (sorry hormones :P). I have gained more respect for Green Day, and bands like them, that came form nothing into all this fame stuff.

yes it was great but i still dont understand who is Marvin Paul Thomas (AKA-"Marv The Roadie")

That guy was a roadie for several bands (like Green Day)

He never worked FOR Green Day. He just worked with them when he was a roadie for the Riverdales while they toured with Green Day. He also work for the Misfits, as he says in the letter. I wish I could contact Marvin to see how he has been but I lost his email when my computer got a virus and I had to reformat.

• 2 weeks later...

WOW! that is an awesome article. I hate it how people always yell at other people for being sellouts... :) at the green day concert i went to in Sacramento CA on Sept. 30th a guy called GD sellouts and he got beaten, i was like 5 people away from him and saw the whole brawl (which i heard continued outside after the concert)

Archived